Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
1) Shadow Hearts 1

LfMJh42.jpg

Slowdowns in HW mode still present. :(
:obviously:

SH1 is the only game I remember playing on my PC and not on my PS2. Everything was playable, except for a part where you are in a town surrounded by a curse, a blood cloud or whatever it was. This part was slow as fuck (the speed got back to normal when the curse was removed), anything before or after was correct.

It was definitely playable in PCSX2, I finished it 1 or 2 years back. IIIRC there was a big slowdown with DX9 when you entered combat, so you had to change renderer to software, which for some strange reason worked fine there. I had the keyboard shortcut that changes renderers mapped to my controller so it was pretty easy to do so. Maybe DX10 behaved differently tho.

spekkio

Arcane
Tested Fire Emblem Awakening and Devil Summoner - Soul Hacker. Both games didn't even load. It's still a long way to go...

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's also Xenia for 360 emulation. Doesn't currently run well but it seems to be making decent progress. Might actually have half-way decent last-gen emulation sometime this decade.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Anything for Vita yet? Although outside of Persona 4: The Golden I can't really think of anything on it I actually want to play.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's it's name?

rpcs3.
It's making pretty good progress and a few indie games are already playable.
But for anything more extravagant, you'd at best get an intro video, and perhaps a glitchy main menu if you're lucky.

baturinsky

Arcane
I'm pleasantly surprised with Desmume maturity. Playing order of Ecclesia on it now. A year or two ago all NDS emulator I tried was sucking one way or another. And NoGBA still does. But Desmume is nearly perfect. Fast, no glitches (that I have noticed), sound not stuttering, fast save, turbospeed on click etc.

Only problem I have now is to decide on keys mapping. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

A user named cat

I'm pleasantly surprised with Desmume maturity. Playing order of Ecclesia on it now. A year or two ago all NDS emulator I tried was sucking one way or another. And NoGBA still does. But Desmume is nearly perfect. Fast, no glitches (that I have noticed), sound not stuttering, fast save, turbospeed on click etc.

Are you playing with a keyboard or controller? If you use RetroArch with the Desmume core, you get xinput so you don't even need to map joystick controls yourself. I find it has much better vsync than standalone Desmume too which has slight stuttering with scrolling games.

baturinsky

Arcane

Are you playing with a keyboard or controller? If you use RetroArch with the Desmume core, you get xinput so you don't even need to map joystick controls yourself. I find it has much better vsync than standalone Desmume too which has slight stuttering with scrolling games.

Keyboard

A user named cat

WHY? You can get a third party PS3 or 360 USB controller for dirt cheap. Anything would be better than trying to play console games with a keyboard. Talk about finger cramps and lacking analog sticks.

If you really want to be cheap, just grab a Chinese USB controller off Alibaba.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Tested Fire Emblem Awakening and Devil Summoner - Soul Hacker. Both games didn't even load. It's still a long way to go...

I wonder if bottom touch screen will get in the way of proper emulation. Was it ever a problem for that DS emulator?

baturinsky

Arcane
WHY? You can get a third party PS3 or 360 USB controller for dirt cheap. Anything would be better than trying to play console games with a keyboard. Talk about finger cramps and lacking analog sticks.

If you really want to be cheap, just grab a Chinese USB controller off Alibaba.

I played on controllers last time 10 or so years ago, at friend's. He had several and all was not very good, especially when trying to pull combos in fightings. Maybe they were just of crappy quality...

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, I have some weird kind of question... is PSP good console to emulate things on it? I checked GBA emulator and it work great so far (Don't have fast forward option sadly), but I heard about some more of them. I also know that it have PSX emulator on start.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron

I wonder if bottom touch screen will get in the way of proper emulation. Was it ever a problem for that DS emulator?

Not from what I've played, no. You basically use the moues pointer as a stylus.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Guys, I have some weird kind of question... is PSP good console to emulate things on it? I checked GBA emulator and it work great so far (Don't have fast forward option sadly), but I heard about some more of them. I also know that it have PSX emulator on start.
The PSP does PS1 in hardware I believe. You just need a custom firmware to unlock it.

Everything up to SNES and Genesis can be emulated at mostly full speed.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

It's been a while but I finished Resident Evil 1 on PSP and it worked like a charm, and yeah you need a custom firmware to be able to play PS1 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom