Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
dr. Freeman and Todd Howard?

jac8awol

Arbiter
When an overwhelming majority of replies are from people who are interested in such a game, but sick to death of early access bullshit, developers should be taking note...

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
CRONUS Employee I hope you have made yourself comfortable at Codex but not too much, cause I've got couple tough questions for you:

1)You have EXXXTREMELY streamlined, cut and killed all the magic from original early access opening which made so many people fall in deep love with potential your game was showing. Are reasons for that trying to please steam babies who were crying how it was too hard and too long and now they cry how it's too easy and too short? Please, make sure your comrades devs read this: Be a Dev, not a Bitch. Or were reasons purely financial? Let's be real it didn't help sale numbers one bit, in fact by killing uniqueness of your product, it hurt them long term and big time! If you think complexity doesn't sell, look at yesterday's Pathfinder:WoTR kickstarter from Owlcat, your fellow contrymen and RPG wizards

2)Is Dark Tower Publishing owned by you the same way GOG is by CDPR? I can feel that your financial situation is hard, buckle up, don't compromise unless you really have to and not more, trucks full of money will be parked in front of your offices in few years, just like now you can't find free parking aroud Owlcat HQ. Incline with good presentation is profitable, don't lose any of that two. If need be, and by that I mean desperately needed, launch second Kickstarter. Insomnia got away with it, but not with bugs and sold out original vision. That killed them

3) Hope you all have a great day, every day, at office, and none of you catch Corona Virus
rating_brofist.png

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
When an overwhelming majority of replies are from people who are interested in such a game, but sick to death of early access bullshit, developers should be taking note...
No problem amigo, come up with better financial system for small to medium devs to fund their incline production and I'll admit you have an argument. People constantly forget that NO KICKSTARTER / EARLY ACCESS - NO 9/10 Codex RPG Champions. Name me game you liked in past 5-7 years, you'll name me game that was either or both at Kickstarter and in Early Access. Think broz, it doesn't hurt!

jac8awol

Arbiter
No problem amigo, come up with better financial system for small to medium devs to fund their incline production and I'll admit you have an argument. People constantly forget that NO KICKSTARTER / EARLY ACCESS - NO 9/10 Codex RPG Champions. Name me game you liked in past 5-7 years, you'll name me game that was either or both at Kickstarter and in Early Access. Think broz, it doesn't hurt!

Kickstarter is a very different beast from early access. None of the games that I would nominate as a top contender had it's experience or story spoiled by early access. In fact, by the time many games reach contendership for a prestigious position, they would have been forgotten due to early access fatigue. Think bro, it's not that hard...

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Kickstarter is a very different beast from early access. None of the games that I would nominate as a top contender had it's experience or story spoiled by early access. In fact, by the time many games reach contendership for a prestigious position, they would have been forgotten due to early access fatigue. Think bro, it's not that hard...
People can afford brains these days unlike kickstarter funds which can't afford game production, only kickstart it until it reaches stage ready for early access. Without early access money most if not all kickstarted games would never be finished. Don't trust me, ask devs. Go On

In fact, by the time many games reach contendership for a prestigious position, they would have been forgotten due to early access fatigue
Not a fact for most of game's buyers and to those who gave money during early access to help devs make a game at all, received early access discount and forgot about game until release. Most of purchases are made outside of early access. Kickstart and Early Access are like husband & wife

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
People can afford brains these days unlike kickstarter funds which can't afford game production, only kickstart it until it reaches stage ready for early access. Without early access money most if not all kickstarted games would never be finished. Don't trust me, ask devs. Go On

You're missing the point. Someone suggested that it seems people are ignoring the game. That's not the case. People (us here) are very much aware of this game, they are simply waiting for a finished product. Many of us are tired of being guinea pig beta testers, thereby spoiling the complete experience. I'm not making a value judgement on early access as a financial lynchpin, I'm agreeing that the game looks awesome and I'll financially support it when it's done.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I'm agreeing that the game looks awesome and I'll financially support it when it's done

Smart move, but if you purchase now & forget it until release, you'll get game for smaller price and make sure game gets made at all. You know, I checked their sale numbers, for their production costs, pretty bad. They needed Stoneshard Early Access numbers, but didn't get them. Also I believe that since recently they want to make game more mainstream in order to sell more. So far, only negative effects because they hurried up at least 10 years and 3 games with selling out. Same mistake, if itz being made, was made by Insomnia devs. Who are officially RIP.Inc now

Support your trusted devs during early access, unless you want them to whore out their vision to steam's lowest common denominator with usually no success found

jac8awol

Arbiter
Catch 22 isn't it. Support them if you know them. Like with Kingmaker, damn awesome game, I'll buy their next game for sure. Other projects I backed like Phoenix Point, didn't quite reach what I hoped. So I'm jaded, will 99% only buy on release. So I think there's a lesson here, that money is out there for games, but not as much in early access as developers hope. And if they start making a game, and then rely on early access cash to finish it, well they've probably already lost the battle.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
True, financial hardships of game production are usually hidden from us gamers, until it's too late, game is dragged for years (Copper Dreams) or you already have like 4 DLCs in your Early Access like Encased has. Sure, sure ... itz music, portraits and kickstart exclusives, but reason why they are there is to soften the blow of poor early access sales

Ruslan

Novice
I have had a similar experience to many people here in that I bought the game, played around with it for a few hours, but stopped playing as I didn't want to spoil the first-time experience of what looks to be a quality product in the making. Now it's just sitting in my library waiting for a 1.0 release to roll around. I've involuntarily boarded the hype train for it, because it looks like a labour of love made with competence, and most RPGs seem to lack at least one of those things.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Good guy Todd Howard bankrolling all these fallout clones as a way to say sorry for his oblivion with guns.

CRONUS Employee

Dark Crystal Games
Developer
CRONUS Employee I hope you have made yourself comfortable at Codex but not too much, cause I've got couple tough questions for you:

1)You have EXXXTREMELY streamlined, cut and killed all the magic from original early access opening which made so many people fall in deep love with potential your game was showing. Are reasons for that trying to please steam babies who were crying how it was too hard and too long and now they cry how it's too easy and too short? Please, make sure your comrades devs read this: Be a Dev, not a Bitch. Or were reasons purely financial? Let's be real it didn't help sale numbers one bit, in fact by killing uniqueness of your product, it hurt them long term and big time! If you think complexity doesn't sell, look at yesterday's Pathfinder:WoTR kickstarter from Owlcat, your fellow contrymen and RPG wizards

2)Is Dark Tower Publishing owned by you the same way GOG is by CDPR? I can feel that your financial situation is hard, buckle up, don't compromise unless you really have to and not more, trucks full of money will be parked in front of your offices in few years, just like now you can't find free parking aroud Owlcat HQ. Incline with good presentation is profitable, don't lose any of that two. If need be, and by that I mean desperately needed, launch second Kickstarter. Insomnia got away with it, but not with bugs and sold out original vision. That killed them

3) Hope you all have a great day, every day, at office, and none of you catch Corona Virus
rating_brofist.png

Sorry for the late reply.

1. The prologue was remade with more action in mind. Magellan station was never intended as a starting location, we just moved it a little further into the game. You can visit it whenever you want even in the current version of the game and complete both old side-quests and some new ones. All feedback is very important to us, but such drastic changes were planned long in advance. You can be sure that we'll never trade complexity and uniqueness of our game for some imaginary profit.
2. Yes, it's the same way. We have more than enough finances to finish the game and implement everything we originally intended. Still, thank you for believing that we'll soon be just like Owlcat. That was really sweet of you.
3. Thank you for your concern. Virus haven't got under the Dome yet

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Five years ago, Codexers would have totally binged on this sort of game in Early Access the same way they did Underrail, Age of Decadence, etc. Now it's being ignored. Sad!

I would tryed it probably, if it was like Underrail in graffixx - I mean isometric and that feels simple and lightweight, but 3D feels bulky, and cumbersome.
I immediately start to imagine all the fuss with camera and that you spend more time on that that on game or almost as much.
This actually curb my enthusiasm about betatesting games that are using 3D engine.

Last edited:

jac8awol

Arbiter
So I bought the game this morning, since I got notified it's on sale at the moment. I was 50/50 because they have DLC out already, before the game is even done, which to me is incredibly scummy business practice. But the very positive reviews swayed my choice, as did the low price of the game. Not gonna touch this until it's content complete, but I'm hopeful. Now I just wish developers would stop being such DLCockbags.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom