Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Ensure the Warriors of Diversity will live on in Eternity

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The only thing that stings is you (and your friends) consider it acceptable to "pledge" a "donation" then withdraw it, if twenty-eight days down the road, they fail to announce a hip new feature you were hoping for initially.

But, of course, it doesn't matter until after the campaign is done.

No one basis decisions off that amount of money during the process, after all.
I like how you tell me the way I have to use my funds. Please tell me more so that I can disregard your opinion even more. If you think that me asking them to develop their software intelligently so that they can compile and link it on any platform is "a hip new feature", then please go back to Windows 8 and stop bothering the grown-ups.

EG

Nullified
The only thing that stings is you (and your friends) consider it acceptable to "pledge" a "donation" then withdraw it, if twenty-eight days down the road, they fail to announce a hip new feature you were hoping for initially.

But, of course, it doesn't matter until after the campaign is done.

No one basis decisions off that amount of money during the process, after all.
I like how you tell me the way I have to use my funds. Please tell me more so that I can disregard your opinion even more. If you think that me asking them to develop their software intelligently so that they can compile and link it on any platform is "a hip new feature", then please go back to Windows 8 and stop bothering the grown-ups.
Aw. My apologies. I didn't realize you'd have such difficulty with the whole morality angle I was going for.

Let's try this again: If, on day 1, linux is not a feature . . . just wait to donate until it is. There's no need to deceive idiots.

It doesn't matter, of course. :martini:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Aw. My apologies. I didn't realize you'd have such difficulty with the whole morality angle I was going for.

Let's try this again: If, on day 1, linux is not a feature . . . just wait to donate until it is. There's no need to deceive idiots.

It doesn't matter, of course. :martini:
Would you get your dickmorality out of my finances, please?

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
$250/- for a custom troll is hideously expensive. Especially considering Avellone made custom trolls for free just a few months ago (he even did them in full color. Even I got one, even though I cannot use it :( )

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah but the codex raised TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for WL2. I don't see the problem with the 250$, because it looks like the codex is only going to fund around 1K or less.

$250/- for a custom troll is hideously expensive. Especially considering Avellone made custom trolls for free just a few months ago (he even did them in full color. Even I got one, even though I cannot use it :( )

Oh c'mon. You could be one of the bad guys.
Some sort of obnoxious cleric that wants to impose his particular religious views into others, who talks to some invisible and intangible Djinn. You know you want it. It would be like having an alt in every computer that installs the game.

EG

Nullified
Yeah but the codex raised TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for WL2. I don't see the problem with the 250$, because it looks like the codex is only going to fund around 1K or less.

Look to the depths to which we've fallen . . .

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
The fundraiser's going to last 'till the end of the kickstarter effort, right? I'd hate to miss it, but I'm short on potato at the time being and have to wait for payday.

MCA
In general I don't get your double standard in regards to Obsidian and inXile, it is rather apparent that you hate Obsidian out of some butthurt reason

Not really. They are one of my favourite developers. I've got 2 Obsidian titles in my top 10. 3 in top 20. Doesn't mean I have to be a blind cocksucker, ignoring where they fail especially when they have admitted to it in the past: they suck at managerial side of development. Publishers are full of BS, yes and Obsidian have suffered their share of but guess what: so has everybody else in the industry.

Mask of the Betrayer was cut and buggy? o_O

It's VoTS what are you expecting from his retarded posts?

http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2:_Mask_of_the_Betrayer#Cut_content

Which was supposed to be a major piece of content and that's only cut content that we know about.

Oh wait, it's a butthurt Jaesun post. What was I expecting from his retarded posts? Are you over DU's attitude that hurt your delicate sensibilities, yet? :smug:

Stelcio

Savant
The only reason I can see for people to be mad about this is that they believe DU's post will discourage some potential backers. But I am pretty sure no one here changes their thoughts and opinions based on DU (or any other poster).
Read the whole thread. People already did so.

"Professionals" (to borrow your term) are most certainly constrained by deadlines. Watch what happens when projects run out of money to meet their deadline - and then need more of it.
Then they are constrained with finances, but certainly not by the date put on Kickstarter. They could take it out of their asses as they had to put some date as a matter of fact.
Oh please, that's like saying making a negative news post or review (as the Codex often does) is unfair to the games we review and the developers who create them - so therefore we should deliberately seek out someone who's going to be positive to write all reviews and news items
It's not the same, because it's not your duty to praise any game, while it is your duty to provide assistance to the Codex community. If you think it would be unjust to praise the project to encourage people to donate, you could have said nothing about the project at all, just announce there is a fundraiser and that's it. That would be "professional", just doing your job. Still can't grasp it?
I think it's fairer to promote both sides of the discussion. :obviously:
Oh that's another way to do it, 'course, but it happened only later, before I posted.
And as I've said, if you're not donating because "DarkUnderlord is personally not a huge salivating fan of the project", than I can't exactly say you were really going to donate in the first place.
Some people admitted here that they've been discouraged to donate by your negative post. It doesn't mean if they REALLY, REALLY wanted to donate. What means is that the fundraiser probably lost some money because of your actions, thus you have failed to properly assist your Codex bros.
I mean what, I have to support everything around here suddenly because that's "professional"?
Read again. And again. And again. Until you understand. You don't have to support it, but you shouldn't disturb it.
More fool you because if this fundraiser is successful, and you haven't donated to it even though you liked the game and wanted a Codex reference in it, you miss out on being able to say you supported the Codex.
I don't have to do anything for Codex, unlike you.
Yes and the Dead State campaign failed. I guess you can't sugar coat crap.
Yup, but it got a fair chance to succeed, without negative interference.
Oh, so aparently the Codex should be promoting certain KickStarter campaigns then. blahblahblah making shit look good.
Well, I cannot answer to things you make up in your mind instead of responding to what I said.
No-one expected your fundraiser announcement to be Obsidian marketing agenda, but it shouldn't discourage people from donating.
Why not? Seriously, why does it matter?
Because people on Codex want it. But maybe you just don't care about them. You don't seem to.

This place doesn't exist to funnel money into developer's pet projects just because that's apparently the "professional" thing to do.
Where have I said it is what "professional" means?
Right here in this thread. If you haven't even been paying attention to what you've been writing, you really shouldn't be posting on the Codex. Stuff like that will come back to bite you.
Wait, I missed a quote. Where is this biting quote of me saying "you should be professional and praise the shit out of PE"? No quote it seems. Take your pills then and go back to your imaginary world, DarkUnderlord.
You've basically said that I should've found another news poster to post the news campaign.
Yup.
Someone who was going to be "professional" and, in the best circumstance, post a positive news post to ensure the donation drive has the most opportunity to suceed.
Nope. And I didn't mean it. I meant someone who wouldn't viciously criticize the effort. And there are ways to encourage people without saying dick about game's quality. Like "it's a great way to promote Codex in a mainstream present RPG". Basically, words that would help get the money instead of words that would help NOT getting it. Not necessarily lying about it or unjustly praising.

You only see it two ways: either rave about it or loathe it. Stop dichotomizing, there is a middle ground.

Dude, I run the fucking donation system. All those donations come directly to me. Straight into a bank account I control. The tally gets updated just as soon as I pull out the Spreadsheet and start tracking everything. No money is getting given to anything unless I make it happen. I am inherently involved in this process.
So it's "my toys so go fuck yourself" attitude?
:baby:
:bravo:
If that's what you think is important, it only proves you're an egocentric immature jackass.
My posts in this thread are pretty much going to be "here's the list of race traitors who feel there aren't enough Elves in the world yet, I'll be banning them as soon as this is over. Oh and by the way, have I told you that IE sucks? We're only $4k away from another shitty IE game!"

You think people are going to see updates from the "guy who hates this shit" and think happy positive thoughts? You're kidding yourself. In fact you'd have the exact same problem as you do now. You'd still be here whining about it, and complaining that I'm not encouraging enough donations "for those who want it to be successful".
But I would have no foundation for it, as you can say whatever shit you want under the news post. News post itself, now that's a different story, but I won't elaborate as you seem not to care too much about people here, it's just your personal playground. Rock on, Axl!
Yes and by "fair" you've basically said "one that is positive not negative and ensures does not disturb as much money as possible getting raised so that the fundraiser is successsful".
Fixed.
Me thinks you need to check a dictionary. That word doesn't mean what you think it means. What's fair is that I still give you my honest, totally unbiased opinion, while still doing my job to ensure the money actually ends up in Obsidians KickStarter project - rather than me going on a holiday to Mexico with it.

That's fair.
Not entirely and that's because of the role you're fulfilling here. If your honest personal opinions may disturb the effort provide they're presented, you should conceal them and limit yourself to stating bare facts.

I hope you'll understand this time and cut this "selling out" shit and dichotomizing things. It's really retarded.

Lumpy

Arcane
http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights_2:_Mask_of_the_Betrayer#Cut_content

Which was supposed to be a major piece of content and that's only cut content that we know about.

Oh wait, it's a butthurt Jaesun post. What was I expecting from his retarded posts? Are you over DU's attitude that hurt your delicate sensibilities, yet? :smug:
This is such fallacious reasoning I don't even.

All we know is that certain things were supposed to be included but then they weren't. This might be meaningful if it weren't true of every single project ever made. It makes no sense whatsoever to call the game 'cut' because of it, no more than I can call 'cut' every single film that has deleted scenes on the DVD.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/maskofthebetrayer2-1.php
GB: Is there any content that you regret leaving out or didn't have time to add?

Kevin: No (but see below). There are a few things I wish we could have added. One was a side quest we called Patron of the Arts. It was a complete tangent from the main storyline and mostly for nostalgia value and comic relief. It involved organizing a play using the actors at the Veil (and competing with actors at the Sloop).

The play would be about your adventures from the NWN2 campaign and would culminate in a cut scene of the play that would have depended upon how you "wrote" the script and which actors you convinced to play the roles. It was an idea that we all really liked, but it became clear that we just wouldn't have the time to do it well, so we dropped it from consideration early on.

Not a very significant cut (also it feels out of place; when you're in danger of dying from a spirit eater curse why would you waste your time on some stupid play?). And y'know, every game has cut content. Even DS3 had minor-c&c cut from the swamp area (instead of killing the natives to rescue the hostages you could do them a favor and go rescue some of theirs from swamp slugs and they'd give you at title other than "Firebringer") and the Glitterdelve mines (you could refuse the plan to blow up the mines and not receive the crown's support).

MCA
And you know, every game has publishers slave running their developers and fucking them in the ass. Somehow, people seem to think Obsidian is in a unique position that redeems all of their flaws.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The only reason I can see for people to be mad about this is that they believe DU's post will discourage some potential backers. But I am pretty sure no one here changes their thoughts and opinions based on DU (or any other poster).
Well, if that is the case, maybe it is immoral to take money from such people anyway. :lol:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Not any-one important though, just a few weak-minded unCodexian newfags. :smug:

"Professionals" (to borrow your term) are most certainly constrained by deadlines. Watch what happens when projects run out of money to meet their deadline - and then need more of it.
Then they are constrained with finances, but certainly not by the date put on Kickstarter. They could take it out of their asses as they had to put some date as a matter of fact.
Oh please, that's like saying making a negative news post or review (as the Codex often does) is unfair to the games we review and the developers who create them - so therefore we should deliberately seek out someone who's going to be positive to write all reviews and news items
It's not the same, because it's not your duty to praise any game, while it is your duty to provide assistance to the Codex community.
Once again, apparently it's my "duty" to ensure that silly Codexian references appear in as many computer games as possible.

No, that is not my duty. Me thinks you over-estimate the importance of this fundraiser just a smidge. My duty is actually to keep this place running. If you think my duty is to raise money so that the Codex can be mentioned in random computer games, you're a sadly deluded individual with rather warped priorities.

If you think it would be unjust to praise the project to encourage people to donate, you could have said nothing about the project at all
I like how your argument has moved on from me "just not posting the news item" to "DarkUnderlord shouldn't say anything about it at all!" lest I taint someone's fragile little mind. You're a 2012 newfag and I can see you've got no idea how this place works.

This is an opinionated website. That means the staff and the users have a range of diverse and differeing opinions on a wide range of subjects. We do not censor those opinions be that person on staff, or in the forum.

If your mind is that weak that you can't handle someone who disagrees with you, you really shouldn't be here.

Still can't grasp it?
I know you've been trying really hard on this for a while, but I'm still not feeling the passion. Try throwing in a few derogatory insults about my mother. If that doesn't work, try a long parable involving donkeys and a lamb. People love animal stories.

And as I've said, if you're not donating because "DarkUnderlord is personally not a huge salivating fan of the project", than I can't exactly say you were really going to donate in the first place.
Some people admitted here that they've been discouraged to donate by your negative post.
Sane, logical arguments do have a tendency to make people change their minds. Your solution to that seems to be to stop all negative discussion on it, lest someone read something bad and have their frail sensibilities infringed upon.

It doesn't mean if they REALLY, REALLY wanted to donate. What means is that the fundraiser probably lost some money because of your actions, thus you have failed to properly assist your Codex bros.
Oh, so some people, who might've perhaps maybe donated haven't put their $5 contribution in because a few people said the game wasn't to their liking and Obsidian seemed to be a bit dumb about it.

Tragedy.

If you want me - and others - to be enthusiastic about this project, tell Obsidian to release some actual information about the game. Like decent concept art or detail about the game mechanics or a video. You know, something that doesn't suck. Heck, how about an actual fucking name for the game instead of a "project title"? That'd be a start.

I mean what, I have to support everything around here suddenly because that's "professional"?
Read again. And again. And again. Until you understand. You don't have to support it, but you shouldn't disturb it.
Yes, I've read your idiocy. Once is enough. Your message is quite clear:

Behead all those who insult the Obsidian fundraiser!

Dissent must be silenced!

More fool you because if this fundraiser is successful, and you haven't donated to it even though you liked the game and wanted a Codex reference in it, you miss out on being able to say you supported the Codex.
I don't have to do anything for Codex, unlike you.
:lol: I love how you've been rabbiting on and on about ""my" duty to the Codex but apparently that's where responsibility ends. How about "your" duty - if you want this fundraiser to succeed - to point out why it's such a good and worthy project that people should donate to.

No, instead the best you can do is throw a few tame insults at me and demand that everyone who aren't huge salivating fans should just be quiet.

No-one expected your fundraiser announcement to be Obsidian marketing agenda, but it shouldn't discourage people from donating.
Why not? Seriously, why does it matter?
Because people on Codex want it. But maybe you just don't care about them. You don't seem to.
42% of the Codex doesn't want it. What about their views? Again, what you're actually asking for is for one side of the debate to be completely and utterly silent.

You really are new here so let me try and make it clear to you just one more time: We don't do that.

Welcome to the Codex. Understanding that small and simple principle will help you towards a much better understanding of why this site was founded.

This place doesn't exist to funnel money into developer's pet projects just because that's apparently the "professional" thing to do.
Where have I said it is what "professional" means?
Right here in this thread. If you haven't even been paying attention to what you've been writing, you really shouldn't be posting on the Codex. Stuff like that will come back to bite you.
Wait, I missed a quote. Where is this biting quote of me saying "you should be professional and praise the shit out of PE"?
Let's go over this again:

DarkUnderlord said:
Once again, it is not the Codex's purpose to ensure as many references as possible are shoved into computer games that any given proportion of the forum community may or may not want. That's not why we're here. It is not "my job", "my role" nor is it "my duty". And it sure as hell is not "professional" for me to keep my opinion about a computer game or fundraiser silent.

This site was founded by Saint_Proverbius, Deathy, Calis, myself and a handful of others precisely because our opinion on IE-based computer games focussed on killing shit were shut-down in the developers official, "professional" forums. Here, have a history lesson.

So you want me, someone who founded a website deliberately built because my own opinion about games was being silenced, to silence my own opinion - so that only your view is heard?

You're an idiot who clearly hasn't "grasped" what this site really is about.

Until you get that through your thick head, you're going to have great difficulty understanding what my "role" here really is.

Now, here's what you've said:

The problem is not that you don't try to sell it. The problem is that you try very hard not to sell it. That's not only unfair and unprofessional. It's retarded primadonna behavior. You don't like it, so let's sabotage the effort with "edgy", "critical" post. You could make it short, emotionless "you want it, we're doing it". Instead you decided to publicly embrace your butthurt over people not agreeing with your "superior opinions" by calling them brain-dead idiots.

You know, there's a significant difference between a witty critic and a retarded whiner. There's also a difference between a "janitor" and a narcissistic child behind the control panel. FYI you're closer to the latters. Grow up to your role ffs.
This is your first claim. I need to be "professional" and completely ignore my own opinion (which is against the site's purpose).

Your second claim is that:

We've now added in a clear aim: We can't be negative. And then you go one step further:

Are you really saying that a "neutral" news post by me, with then me saying everything that I've said in this thread, would have somehow been "better"?
Than this? Hell yes. Of course there are better ways like letting someone else post the announcement. If you aren't excited by the idea, just do your duty as admin instead of disturbing things.
In other words: Find someone who is willing to be positive and actively promote the game and get them to do the news post. To encourage as many people to donate as possible. Apparently this is so that we don't "disturb things".

According to you, that would be the "better" (and one would assume, much more "professional") way to go about this.

The implication is that if I'm not excited about a project, I should find one of our newsies who is and get them to post about it in a positive manner, so as to actively encourage people to donate. That is apparently "doing my duty" and "doesn't disturb things".

Right now, I'm "doing my duty" by:
  • Running the fundraiser in the first place. Remember kids, I could've just said no.
  • Ensuring the money raised gets to Obsidian. Remember kids, I could just spend it on hookers and booze.
But that is clearly not enough for you, given how many times you've thrown around "job", "role", "duty" and "profesional" with the implication that, despite running the fundraiser and sending the money to Obsidian, I'm not "doing my job". A job which you have further elaborated on now to include "staying completely silent" about my opinion on the fundraiser - to ensure that only a positive light is portrayed and that as much "assistance to the Codex community" is provided as possible.

You've even said "What means is that the fundraiser probably lost some money because of your actions, thus you have failed to properly assist your Codex bros."

If I were neutral in the news post (and still negative in the thread), my actions still would have seen the fundraiser "possibly lose some money". Your very clear implication through-out this thread is one that we should actively ensure that as much money as possible goes to the fundraiser.

No quote it seems. Take your pills then and go back to your imaginary world, DarkUnderlord.
This is rich, because you say this right before saying:

You've basically said that I should've found another news poster to post the news campaign.
Yup.
Like I said, you clearly think it would be more "professional" to actively promote the fundraiser as much as possible.

Sorry, but that is not "my duty". As I've said, my duty is to ensure the money that is donated gets to Obsidian and that we sort out what we're going to get for the amount we raise. Nothing more.

Someone who was going to be "professional" and, in the best circumstance, post a positive news post to ensure the donation drive has the most opportunity to suceed.
Nope. And I didn't mean it. I meant someone who wouldn't viciously criticize the effort. And there are ways to encourage people without saying dick about game's quality. Like "it's a great way to promote Codex in a mainstream present RPG". Basically, words that would help get the money instead of words that would help NOT getting it. Not necessarily lying about it or unjustly praising.

You only see it two ways: either rave about it or loathe it. Stop dichotomizing, there is a middle ground.
Oh please, if we'd been "neutral" in the news post (which would be a Codexian first - we mostly either hate or love things around here, try actually reading the news sometimes), you'd still be whining about my comments in this thread.

After all, you're not really dumb enough to think that a "neutral" news post from me, with me saying what I've said in this post, still wouldn't have affected anyone?

Dude, I run the fucking donation system. All those donations come directly to me. Straight into a bank account I control. The tally gets updated just as soon as I pull out the Spreadsheet and start tracking everything. No money is getting given to anything unless I make it happen. I am inherently involved in this process.
So it's "my toys so go fuck yourself" attitude?
Nope. Like I said, you apparently live in a deluded world where me posting a "neutral" news post - and yet being highly critical of the KickStarter in the thread - wouldn't affect anyone. Despite the fact that I'd be the one providing all the updates, updating the tally and updating everything else. But then I guess you want to silence me completely and find someone else to do all of that too, right? Because that would be ensure your pet campaign gets funding more "professional".

:baby:
:bravo:

If that's what you think is important, it only proves you're an egocentric immature jackass.
You still need to work on the insults. Try calling me "son" directly, rather than just using the baby image.

Yes and by "fair" you've basically said "one that is positive not negative and ensures does not disturb as much money as possible getting raised so that the fundraiser is successsful".
Fixed.
I love it. You completely miss the point. The point is the bit you left on the end there: as much money as possible getting raised so that the fundraiser is successsful.

If your honest personal opinions may disturb the effort provide they're presented, you should conceal them and limit yourself to stating bare facts.
That is called selling out, you brain-dead idiot. Read that again: If my honest opinions prevent money going to this campaign, then I should be silenced.

You clearly don't understand the point of the Codex.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Somewhere on the Obsidian boards Avellone ( I think it was him?) said they won't be using Onyx for PE. Damn if I could find the link. :/

Interesting. He may have just meant they needed to gut the infrastructure. Note I don't have what I was told prior to KS launching saved anywhere, so I'm worked off memory and may just misremember. Would be very interesting if they don't go Onyx but go Unity as well. Wonder what Vince would think of that.
Vince is also curious what happened to Troika’s "super fantastic extra cool ultimate 3d RPG engine". Since Tim Cain is there now, it's easy to assume that both engines, with all the bells and whistles, are there as well..

The game didn't even make it passed the pitching phase. It would have been a barely usable piece of technology at that point. The idea that they'd use that old piece of shit over the massively well supported and adopted unity tech is a clownshoes suggestion.

As for whatever old piece of tat TOEE and arcanum ran on, it'd be a miracle if the source code and documentation for it even exists as this point, and everything tied to those games will probably still belong to the publishers.

majestik12

Arcane
The pro-Obsidian crowd should switch the goal to $1000 tier reward and design an NPC based on DU.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What was the exact specific info Fargo mentioned in the WL2 KS that is missing from Obsidian's Project Eternity KS?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom