Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Wunderbar

Arcane
Do devs not run their own servers anymore? Is all of their networking shit through Steam somehow?
It was so convenient the devs got lazy and stopped bothering.

Modron

Arcane
Forcing devs to make their online shit work across multiple stores is incline, but how did we get to a point that it wasn't already like this? Do devs not run their own servers anymore? Is all of their networking shit through Steam somehow? I don't get it.
This just increases the odd developers won't be making their own online "shit" and just slapping EGS online shit in their games on all storefronts Steam, EA's, Microsoft's, et cetera. Enjoy the ever increasing Chinese spyware presence.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Forcing devs to make their online shit work across multiple stores is incline, but how did we get to a point that it wasn't already like this? Do devs not run their own servers anymore? Is all of their networking shit through Steam somehow? I don't get it.
This just increases the odd developers won't be making their own online "shit" and just slapping EGS online shit in their games on all storefronts Steam, EA's, Microsoft's, et cetera. Enjoy the ever increasing Chinese spyware presence.
This sounds like concern trolling to me

Modron

Arcane
It's already happening. Several games have already switched over to EGS' baked in solution from whatever they were using before so they could get EGS money like Rising Storm 2: Vietnam and other stuff I've forgotten.

Modron

Arcane
Epic Games has already paid a $540 million settlement over collecting data on children, had a big data breach, is 30% owned by Tencent whose ACE DRM is a keylogger probably sending information straight to Beijing since a ton of their funding has been handed directly to them from the central party, and you know it's only going to get worse.

Edit: Next time you do a fresh OS install you should really think about sandboxing your Steam/EGS/Game installs.

Last edited:
There's EGS files on GOG games like Saint's Row 4, which recently received an "upgrade" (same as Steam, but I think you can rollback to older patches on GOG).
There's also a whole bunch of games that have EGS files on Steam and before their recent push to take some games away and update others. Steam's version of Pathfinder Kingmaker has them for instance. Civ 6 does too.

ADL

Prophet
Steamworks is the de facto standard plug-and-play solution and works extremely well for Steam users exclusively but cross store/cross platform connectivity either requires a proprietary solution (often screwing alternative PC stores in the process) or Epic Online Services which handles everything Steamworks' multiplayer components do in addition to cross store/cross platform support. I can't even get mad about EOS being used in Steam games because they're providing something that Valve doesn't and seems to have no intention of ever doing. That's valid competition.

As mentioned above in regards to Rising Storm 2, you have some weird instances of a publisher patching in EOS five or six years later because they gave their game away for free on the Epic Store and don't fix issues but that's just a shitty publisher doing something dumb long after the developer in question went independent and moved on. Tripwire should be held accountable for that.

I understand that Valve doesn't want to work with the console manufacturers because it's a logistical nightmare and they've been screwed by Microsoft and Sony's walled garden. That being said, until they offer something competitive, this is a massive win in Epic's favor.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Am i the only one who gets all the free stuff but never install anything, just hoping handing out all this free shit will eventually starve them out? Lmao.

They almost had me by giving Nioh complete away, almost, but not quite. Still holding on not installing and playing anything on the Epic store, going strong for two years since a friend of mine tipped me off about all the free games shit, as i had no idea it was even happening.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Am i the only one who gets all the free stuff but never install anything, just hoping handing out all this free shit will eventually starve them out? Lmao.

They almost had me by giving Nioh complete away, almost, but not quite. Still holding on not installing and playing anything on the Epic store, going strong for two years since a friend of mine tipped me off about all the free games shit, as i had no idea it was even happening.
I've amassed quite a few titles myself, some even worth trying (probably). Not enough to bankrupt them though.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Most devs don't even implement a proper controller api and rely on steam to do the job.

Dave the Druid

Educated
You all know Tim Sweeney's a dick now but did you know that he was always a dick?
0zL3B6O.png

That took a while to find buried in Google Groups' usenet archives, the original's gone completely. I stumbled across a repost by sheer luck.

Take note of the date: 24th of May, 2000. This was written and posted on the literal day Looking Glass went out of business. The staff were still at the office, drinking beers and clearing out their desks as he was writing this.

ADL

Prophet
Saw that thread too. Thanks to whoever saved some of this crap because I definitely couldn't find it when I went looking a couple years ago. Former lead designer on Ultima Underworld 2 and Thief/Thief 2 had this to say in response.
rudU6c5.png

You all know Tim Sweeney's a dick now but did you know that he was always a dick?
0zL3B6O.png

That took a while to find buried in Google Groups' usenet archives, the original's gone completely. I stumbled across a repost by sheer luck.

Take note of the date: 24th of May, 2000. This was written and posted on the literal day Looking Glass went out of business. The staff were still at the office, drinking beers and clearing out their desks as he was writing this.
Reminds me of EA apologists defending the decision to shut down Visceral simply because Dead Space didn't sell as well as EA's sports games (and claiming it "wasn't profitable" when by budget and sales it clearly made back more money than it cost to make, aka there was a net profit).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it does not provide billlions on the first day, it's a failure. That unfortunately seems to be how it works.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Keep in mind that the money people at EA just didn't understand System Shock 2, and only reluctantly released it... then re-priced it at $10 as a budget game 45 days after its release.

Yet it was close to breaking even.

Think about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom