Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Escape From Tarkov

Victor1234

Educated
In a 2016 interview, one of the game's developers stated that there would be no women or playable female characters in the game because "women can't handle that amount of stress. There's only place for hardened men in this place."[40] After apologising for the previous comments, Battlestate Games clarified their position in 2020, stating that while the employee's comments did not reflect the company's position or opinion as a whole, there would be no playable female characters due to "game lore and more importantly, the huge amount of work needed with animations, gear fitting, etc." Battlestate Games also stated that the employee would be reprimanded for his comments.[41]
game made by turbocucks

That comment was from some ex-Russian army guy who joined the team as a consultant. They have an unusually close/unhealthy relationship with the company that makes Russian AKs though (they are calling themselves Kalashnikov Concern nowadays IIRC), to the point that either this one or the previous game (Contract Wars) was originally funded/intended to be some indirect advertising for the factory until Tarkov became a sleeper hit of its own thanks to Twitch and they added more Western stuff.

Still no M16 (only M4) but they added yet another AK variant the patch before this one :argh:

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I heard they changed the way guns handle a while ago and coming back to the game now after a year (maybe more) of hiatus it definitely feels like it. It could be just my imagination but I don't remember it feeling this clunky.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
-Play this game
-Dont have much fun, also questing is utterly retarded without meta/out of game knowledge and maps
-Enter this topic
-See the ukraine tagged people and assorted tranny faggots attracted to this game
-Now i understand why the game is shit.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Other than the obvious silliness of playing as a soldier running around IKEA picking up drain cleaner, my biggest problem with the gameplay is the way that weapon mass, inertia and maneuvering is handled. In reality, the most pleasant weapons to use and navigate through your environment with are short barreled rifles, preferably with folding stocks, like a Galil SAR, AK 105, etc. it’s a huge difference.

But in Tarkov none of those features matter whatsoever. There is no measurable inertia from bringing a weapon and sight up to your eye, you don’t catch your long-ass weapon on the environment, weapon weight doesn’t effect handling at all and very long rifles actually have less sway than short barreled ones.
So what happens is that about a month into a ‘wipe’ every poopsocker is running around with a two meter long musket with a 150 round drum magazine and a 25x scope on it, and they will punish you mercilessly if you use something so silly like, you know, a rifle that you would actually want to use in reality.

There are other issues like there being too great a difference between ammunition types of the same caliber, but the weapon handling is the worst. Especially the way they sell Tarkov as being the great close combat sim.

Last edited:

Victor1234

Educated
Other than the obvious silliness of playing as a soldier running around IKEA picking up drain cleaner, my biggest problem with the gameplay is the way that weapon mass, inertia and maneuvering is handled. In reality, the most pleasant weapons to use and navigate through your environment with are short barreled rifles, preferably with folding stocks, like a Galil SAR, AK 105, etc. it’s a huge difference.

But in Tarkov none of those features matter whatsoever. There is no measurable inertia from bringing a weapon and sight up to your eye, you don’t catch your long-ass weapon on the environment, weapon weight doesn’t effect handling at all and very long rifles actually have less sway than short barreled ones.
So what happens is that about a month into a ‘wipe’ every poopsocker is running around with a two meter long musket with a 150 round drum magazine and a 25x scope on it, and they will punish you mercilessly if you use something so silly like, you know, a rifle that you would actually want to use in reality.

There are other issues like there being too great a difference between ammunition types of the same caliber, but the weapon handling is the worst. Especially the way they sell Tarkov as being the great close combat sim.
There's lots that isn't realistic about this game which makes it hard to take it seriously as a sim. The COD-like crazy running/jumping everywhere which even they finally toned down a few patches ago, the ammo, the way 100 meters is considered a long shot, the way armor works with HP and not as actual plates, the medical system and those late game injectors that are ridiculously unbalanced to boost your stats being the biggest one. I think the weapons in particular are pretty good for a video game and certainly the most exhaustive in terms of what you can build/customize with the myriad of weapons parts.

Even the ARMA series lets you pick up any random weapon from the battlefield and use it as if it was perfectly customized for your size and zeroed for you specifically on a range, and that's supposed to be the civilian version of the definitive military training simulator. If it had the weapons modding capability of Tarkov, I'm sure there would've been a lot of the same problems (Exhibit A: Still no universally adopted community ammo damage/penetration standard for mods in ARMA 3).

They try to have exactly what you said with the ergonomics, vertical & horizontal recoil stats for each weapon. For long bolt action rifles in particular that didn't get a lot of dev attention with meta builds with good grips or stocks, you won't be aiming down your optic for more than 20-30 seconds without being forced to go prone or not aim down the sight anymore and wait for the stamina to regenerate. Likewise with long weapons in tight spaces or corridors, you'll have the weapon literally butt up against the environment and not be able to aim with it, so you have to back up to use it, if there's space.

In theory the system should work. The more extras you put on your weapon, the worse the ergonomics gets (the higher capacity mags, the optics, lasers/lights/thermals, etc are all horrible for ergo) which means slower to bring up the sight aim and the less time you can keep looking down the sights.

The trouble is, they seem to try to balance Western vs Eastern weapons as a design goal (since AKs are generally more unstable on auto, this ends up with Western assault rifles being much more unstable than real life) and they are terrible at balancing in general. Despite best efforts, clear metas do emerge each patch and with the patches being months apart, you'll go through periods where certain builds will have it all, with the ultra powerful round to 1 shot kill you that can mount the best optics, silencers and high capacity mags.

Many people seem to play for the early periods after a wipe like now, when nobody has access to those horribly broken high tier combos, high HP armors and the "Pop this needle to win the fight" meds that they'll have 2 months from now, like you said. Many people play singleplayer with that mod just to avoid the lag, cheaters and the meta dudes.

I don't think the devs actually try to sell it as a close combat sim (having more or less dedicated maps for sniping like Woods and actively forcing you to use sniper rifles for quests), and people who are fans are generally fans of the whole thing. I just said it's the best for CQB in my opinion because I think ARMA does everything else better but compared to other offerings on the market, nobody else has put that many CQB immersive features into their game even if they don't always WAD. The environmental sounds of hearing if someone is stepping on broken glass or metal or wood surfaces, shooting through surfaces, the weapon collision with the environment in tight spaces or corners, blind firing around corners or overhead being a standard feature instead of something modded in, the variable stance system so you can stand up partways between crouching and standing all the way up, the way the AI bots have a bit of dynamism to their patrol routes and can converge on an area if they hear fighting, stop, crouch and wait if they haven't seen anyone, etc. Even the pacing of the combat, which is faster than ARMA but slower than the usual FPS works well for CQB.

All of that may exist in other games separately, but I don't know of any other game that has all that together with real world weapons in one game and other devs are clearly eager to copy the formula (Battlefield 2042, Marauders, etc) but again, those dudes probably aren't differentiating between CQB and the rest of the game either. All I know is, I could play Factory forever and have fun, in a way that if you plugged the same structures into an ARMA 3 mission, the mechanics and minor level design details just couldn't be there to give the same experience.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Even Counter Strike (2000) did this better than Tarkov.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I've been playing Tarkov since late 2017 and the game just keeps getting worse and worse. The new audio is fucking horrendeous, even worse then previous iterations, which were already insanely terrible. 2-3 years ago the game had so much potential, even with all its technical shortcomings, but now it's just a feature creep laden and aimless joke of a shooter.

I hope another studio just straight up copies Tarkov so somebody else than can give it a go. Couldn't end up worse than in BSG's incompetent ass hands.

Gerrard

Arcane

lmao the super realistic tacticool shooter doesn't have features 20+ year old mods had
It always amazes me how ahead of its time Infiltration mod for UT was.

Victor1234

Educated
I've been playing Tarkov since late 2017 and the game just keeps getting worse and worse. The new audio is fucking horrendeous, even worse then previous iterations, which were already insanely terrible. 2-3 years ago the game had so much potential, even with all its technical shortcomings, but now it's just a feature creep laden and aimless joke of a shooter.

I hope another studio just straight up copies Tarkov so somebody else than can give it a go. Couldn't end up worse than in BSG's incompetent ass hands.
They are in the process:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1963610/Road_to_Vostok/

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
There's lots that isn't realistic about this game which makes it hard to take it seriously as a sim.
It's meant to be "realistic as playable", i.e. fun.

The new audio is annoying, agreed. Would be nice for BSG to be a bit more open to actually make sense of exactly what happened with Steam audio.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having a lot of fun this wipe. Makes a massive difference to PVP to be on a more level playing ground with other players.

I joined late last wipe and it was nasty.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

They are in the process:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1963610/Road_to_Vostok/

"They" being one person afaik. And Vostok is single player afaik.

This is even less feasable than Tarkov itself, lol.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Pest gave his impressions of the patch so far. The issue with scavs isn't something I've especially experienced this wipe in particular, but I've barely played yet; been busy trying to finish a storyline in another game.

Veritas has done some good work in the past on both the sound issues and enemy AI. (Right now he's running a test on the new iteration of binaural audio.) In case you missed his videos on the topics, they are as thorough as they are long:

Didn't really play during the last wipe at all, so even with these apparent issues, I'm trying to give this one a proper shot. The new shooting range upgrades look fucking cool -- and much needed with how unique Tarkov's ballistics are, honestly; or at least until we have Arena.

Hard not to worry about things at BSG though, it must be hell trying to get decent developers in present-day Russia; industry friends have expressed that it's hard enough to get decent programmers in gamedev, without being based in St. Petersburg.

turkishronin

Arcane
I never thought a game this autistic, to the point of not displaying names on friendly units, could get this popular.
it does have so many things working against it to a point of being unfun. without streamers carrying it, it would be nowhere because the actual gameplay experience is pretty shit.
If it was ufun streamers wouldn't keep playing it because they would be hit with low viewer numbers

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
If it was ufun streamers wouldn't keep playing it because they would be hit with low viewer numbers

Its the streamers and BSG upping the hype. In the early days streamers got full press kit accounts with VSS at the start of the game. This gave a false impression of the game, it's "chadiness", while in reality its a MMO grinding game. MMO griding games, are for "specific" types of players - high on autism scale, juvenile with lots of free time, or P2W/cashcows, for the rest of the playerbase they are just shitty games.

turkishronin

Arcane

Its the streamers and BSG upping the hype. In the early days streamers got full press kit accounts with VSS at the start of the game. This gave a false impression of the game, it's "chadiness", while in reality its a MMO grinding game. MMO griding games, are for "specific" types of players - high on autism scale, juvenile with lots of free time, or P2W/cashcows, for the rest of the playerbase they are just shitty games.
I found out about the game from streamers too but all I saw was them playing Tetris on the inventory.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
1.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom