Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

kangaxx

Arbiter
I'm running a Mexico game at the moment (Portugal new world rush -> Mexico), and honestly it's a real blast.

That said, they have totally fucked the native tribe mechanics in North America. I'm basically uncontested for the entire east coast, and will eat the Spanish outposts on the west coast with almost no difficulty. Why have they made colonising NA such a slog?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm running a Mexico game at the moment (Portugal new world rush -> Mexico), and honestly it's a real blast.

That said, they have totally fucked the native tribe mechanics in North America. I'm basically uncontested for the entire east coast, and will eat the Spanish outposts on the west coast with almost no difficulty. Why have they made colonising NA such a slog?

You know, I didn't like the moving tribes mechanic either. They could have chosen a middle ground between filling up NA to the brim and a few tribes moving around. Other colonizers are also too scared to attack the tribes in NA due to AE, though they have no qualms about doing it in Australia.

kangaxx

Arbiter
It's not just that, it's the fact that in the 1500s you get the odd tribe with the same Mil tech as you and they're boring to conquer... it becomes a game of Benny Hill chasing tiny stacks around. Retarded.

You know, I didn't like the moving tribes mechanic either. They could have chosen a middle ground between filling up NA to the brim and a few tribes moving around. Other colonizers are also too scared to attack the tribes in NA due to AE, though they have no qualms about doing it in Australia.

We have spoken about this before, but it would have been interesting if the game used a system like that of the Hordes in EUIII Divine Wind, for dealing with nomadic tribes in the Americas. You can't take the land because there ins't much to be taken and the locals pack it up. You have to go and colonize the land before it is yours, and the natives can attack and burn your colonial outposts and forts anytime.

Perhaps with the difference that its possible to deal with and settle the locals in your land as well, or simply kill them.

Coupled with the ability to move, it would have made for interesting and historically accurate situations.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Well, today's the day, and the forums / reddit aren't flooded with bug reports yet.

The origins of human civilization was arguably in the Fertile Crescent and China, not Africa, so it couldn't be referring to that. It's not even set during the right time period, unless the devs seem to think that civilization started around 1492 AD.

Homo sapiens supposedly emerged across Africa -- https://www.cell.com/trends/ecology-evolution/fulltext/S0169-5347(18)30117-4 -- but if that's the meaning, I'm not sure it really says what they want it to say in the 15th century...

I didn't bother to look at the patch notes but have they fixed the whole centralize development, ridiculous favor system and institution spread that would allow an entire world a roughly equal tech level by 1700?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well, today's the day, and the forums / reddit aren't flooded with bug reports yet.

The origins of human civilization was arguably in the Fertile Crescent and China, not Africa, so it couldn't be referring to that. It's not even set during the right time period, unless the devs seem to think that civilization started around 1492 AD.

Homo sapiens supposedly emerged across Africa -- https://www.cell.com/trends/ecology-evolution/fulltext/S0169-5347(18)30117-4 -- but if that's the meaning, I'm not sure it really says what they want it to say in the 15th century...
Civilization =/= the human species.
But yeah, either way it doesn't work.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I didn't bother to look at the patch notes but have they fixed the whole centralize development, ridiculous favor system and institution spread that would allow an entire world a roughly equal tech level by 1700?

I believe they have at least fixed the centralise development and pillage mechanics. Don't know about the rest.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Civilization =/= the human species.
That was my point.

Anyway, it's half a day later and there's still no huge complaints about bugs. People thought high AE with PUs was bugged, but apparently it's a nerf from actually fixing one.

Only other thing I even saw people talking about was some maths being thrown out of whack if you didn't have Conquest of Paradise enabled. The rest of the bugs being posted are isolated / no replies. Maybe they finally did a major patch that fixed more shit than it broke?

Mortmal

Arcane
Just played ,nothing horrible in the first hours unlike leviathan , concentrated development is fixed, you can concentrate from possessions only and it doesnt concentrate much you are losing a lot to gain little in the capital. So i have not yet encountered a reason to use it , playing as mali. Portugal very agressive eating all of maghreb and the african coast. So far so good...

Higher Game

Arcane
Higher Game, you can't just bankrupt your way to success!

201021-donald-trump-dance-ew-621p_c4c82613b8c3b034a686ada8b8605316.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

Mutapa/Zimbabwe is now my favorite country, the land of kangz. I wonder if Europe would actually be correctly "overpowered" (historically accurately powered) if Paradox made Africana Universalis. They could even throw in sci-fi at that point because why not. :lol:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Better, also shows how retarded EUIV is if you didn't already know.

e: Mali gets a free colony in the Americas from a mission. Can't make that shit up.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is amazing how shit that retard is at the game. At least the ruskie was passable lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom