Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Europa Universalis IV

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by raw, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    It is fine if you don't play in the Americas or western Europe..

^ Top  
  2. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    It sort of is, but it still affects the balance of powers that would form in the late game. (Although, to be fair, it's not like the colonial powers don't colonize at all now, they just don't have the same sort of massive colonies in North America. South America seems to be fine.)

^ Top  
  3. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    That is true but I rarely if ever get to the actual late game and from the stats I've seen most games last until like 1650s at most.

This is not to say that this isn't a big issue, it is. The most interesting game is in Europe and fucking up the balance there is massive.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Hóngwèibīng Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Hóngwèibīng
    Yeah, I rarely end up finishing my campaigns too since I get bored by the time that I've consolidated my position.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. trais Arcane Patron

trais
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    So, Leviathan still isn't fixed, I presume?

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    It is not and at this point I don't think they will fix it.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Tried the Burmese "VH" achievement "The First Toungoo Empire".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turns out this wasn't hard at all and i did it without any issue on my literal first try without any preparation. You just ally Lan Xang in the start, improve relationship with Ayutthaya and then ally them as well and then just conquer Burma. You dont have to care about AE at all since you are allied to the only two big nations that can get any meaningful AE from your conquest. No idea why this was listed as very hard.

I also did Shahshanah and Frozen assets recently and both were fun. Frozen assets was a bit better overall though. Breaking Muscovy and then racing the English channel for highest trade value before new world colonization was fun.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Started another game as Muscovy to recuperate from the Dithmarschen ordeal of turning a one-province state into a Great Power.

Allied with Poland this time and together we have been kicking ass and chewing bubblegum. And they haven't called me even once for their own wars in 50 years.

Now Lithuania managed to split off from Poland which is a golden opportunity to skoop up some Orthodox lands.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Still very early:

[​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    I've been wanting to get back to EUIV, as I've never ran it on this Laptop - it ran fine on my previous one so I assume it will run swimmingly on this one.
    However, the game seems to be kind of a mess right now

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    I deactivated Leviathan and that works just fine. I still kind of prefer the old estates system prior to version 1.28.

^ Top  
  12. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Not sure what you're saying the problem is.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    Unless you're interested in specifically the new content I would suggest playing on 1.30.6.

^ Top  
  14. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria

The issue is that practically the entire north American continent is colonised by the natives which could be a fine way of representing things but the game isn't remotely designed or balanced around that.

The end result is that the AI generally can't colonise North America any more, screwing up economy and power dynamics in Europe, and you as the player can easily have colonial nations spanning the entir continent by 1550 with development equal to or surpassing continental Europe.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    Just make colonial nation AI more aggressive and enable declaring wars for them against natives. They should declare wars against natives if they have superior power, and when not, they should ask overlord for help when declaring.

^ Top  
  16. Riddler Arcane Patron

Riddler
    Bubbles In Memoria
    That doesn't solve the issue of the speed of colonisation or the development of the provinces. What needs to happen is that the system for native colonisation, development and tribal land need to change.

The most simple and immediate fix would be to make it impossible to conquer tribal land, since that seems more like a bug than an intended feature, but it's been like 6 months since the last patch so it doesn't really seem like Paradox cares about trivial fixes to major issues with core systems.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    The best timeline:

[​IMG]

Ottomans attacked Croatia who was defended by Austria and Papal State. Then Russia and Poland attacked Ottomans during that war and took Constaninople, while Mamluks joined the fun and started a third war against Ottomans at the same time.

• nice x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    Last time ive played russia ive snatched relentless push east achievement. When i will have more time im thinking doing the novogrod trade node achievement. Seems really hard, basically conquer all of asia.

^ Top  
  19. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, I still want to get my California before the others get there. The colonization of Siberia is rather slow.

Also thinking about taking Persia and maybe India since they are also connected to Russian trade nodes.

^ Top  
  20. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    The key to grabbing that achievement is snaking through oirat and mongolia.

^ Top  
  21. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, I sped up the colonization by grabbing some Uzbek lands, may have to do the same with Oirat and Mongolia.

^ Top  
  22. Stavrophore Kalin was right all along. Patron

Stavrophore
    Strap Yourselves In
    I have to say, im only playing this game for achievements. After 1800 hours its all whats left.

^ Top  
  23. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    Muscovy is my favorite country as is ideal for any reactionary monocle. And I've found that rushing Kazan first with Perm's core is best before they ally Crimea, and Uzbek is absolutely worthless as an ally because you can just siege rush them while they waste time trying to siege your trash vassals, and ultimately take all their money. Kazan's gold mine is the prize you want, and then Novgorod follows so your AE among Muslims can cool down some, and then Great Horde.

Allying Poland is the real game changer, since they won't hurt you as well as protecting you from Denmark, so you can easily get away with 2x deliberate bankruptcies to build all the farm estates you can as early as you can. Muscovy very easily hits the governing capacity wall well before becoming Russia, so you want province quality over quantity very soon, and all those farm estate resources are perfect for that. And letting Denmark take the mediocre Baltic provinces is perfectly fine. Either administrative or innovative ideas are best just because of how easy it is to hit that governing capacity limit.

Circassia is the best nation to diplomatically vassalize, and then you can seize land where they border the Black Sea and rush straight past the Caucasus from there. If you can ally the Ottomans (yes, joining the dark side) it's possible to blitz past everyone else in the region before they even notice. Petra and the pyramids and Jerusalem are the prizes to rush for. But Australia and Zanzibar are where the money is, if you don't charter a company in Tunisia to get a claim in Spain to get a base in the Americas because they allied France or something. And for some reason you can put "Siberian" colonies in Africa.

The Eastern Europe missions are a trap because they're a trade dead zone thanks to all the caravan power the HRE nations have draining them, and the +3 diplomatic reputation you get from "consolidate russia" is best used to annex very large vassals quickly just before the age of absolutism for the autonomy reduction, not for the claims.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Lady Error █▓▒░ ░▒▓█ Patron

Lady Error
    Strap Yourselves In
    I got the Quest for New World first, then Quantity idea and then Religious. Conquering the Muslim lands too early seems like an easy way to get bogged down with low religious unity and rebels.

And yeah, the Baltics (and Scandinavia) are pretty worthless for trade, unless you conquer all of it and move your main trade node there.

Governing capacity was not that much of an issue before forming Russia - I just had to use the estates once or twice to up the limit by 100.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    I give all 4 estates land rights and still hit that limit. The key is to use vassal annexation as much as possible when you don't have a permanent claim or a special reason to core like a gold mine or project. Diplomatic power is the best national focus if you're under the limit since vassal annexation is better for states, administrative for territories. Just leave the original administrative focus on until tech 5 so you can win the innovative race through the first idea group, then switch to diplomatic.

Russia doesn't lack for quantity, especially after the Kremlin is upgraded (and most especially after you stack Third Rome on top of this) and you start concentrating development from areas you don't intend to consecrate. It gains much more relative benefit from aristocracy if you need a military idea, due to cossacks helping your cavalry so much in the first place, and saving military power means supply depots which help a lot in those cold wastelands. But usually a mana focus for easy Asian conquest is better than picking military ideas and going West where they are actually needed. The only time Western expansion might be worth it is if you get a lucky "border friction" CB before Lithuania converts too many Orthodox provinces or a lucky throne claim, but going East is more consistently effective.

Converting the Muslims isn't hard if you have a properly cavalier attitude towards bankruptcy and debt (you have all those farm estates to build anyway), and are willing to use a skill 3 missionary advisor if needed even if it runs your income into the ground. Combine him with enforced unity of faith and religious edicts and you're good to go even before taking on Denmark just for Bratsberg and Iceland. And early on, most icons aren't worth it when you need more patriarchal authority for early manpower and conversions. And of course get defender of the faith ASAP.

Also, because of fabricating claims on entire areas, and stacking lots of AE reduction (national idea and icon), espionage ideas is very strong for Russia so stealing maps instead of exploring for them usually works better. A few no CB wars in the Americas is preferable to being stuck with exploration ideas. And espionage has very good policy synergies.

And early on, stopping rebels by raising autonomy is not that bad because you have the sudebnik power that reduces autonomy rapidly anyway. And pick the autonomy reducing government reform because most cultures around Russia are small and not worth accepting anyway, and you get the project associated cultures much later. The autonomy reducing reform pays for itself easily and you can switch to the +2 cultures one by the age of absolutism when you need it for the age goal.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.