Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Higher Game

Arcane
Question: How to build development? I mean, what's the meta here? I want more dev, so I can build more buildings, especially manufactories and shipyards so I can finance and have a giant fuck-off fleet of galleys to dominate the Med and make the Brits suck dick. But using mana for dev feels kinda wasteful unless I have so much mana I'm getting to max it out.

Building development when you can't safely expand due to coalition or other human player risk is for multiplayer. For single player comp stomping, you just do no CB wars across the map to open up a new front if you aren't good at finding co-belligerent chains that let you spread out everywhere. The ideal places to develop are level 3 ports in 5 province states and of course gold mines. (and isn't it weird how development doesn't matter one bit for great projects?)

Also, when you guys think is worth it to actually get a tech? I like those neat ahead of time effects for most techs. Is 5+ years difference good enuff?

It's probably best to get a tech as late as you can while still getting innovativeness, but there's really a vast mediocre stretch from between diplotech 9 (study technology) all the way to diplotech 23 (imperialism). All that diplo mana is best used for annexing vassals, keeping up the gold mines, diplomatic relations, etc. And then there's tag switching, if you're into that thing...

You can even get a beachhead in Britain by abusing "threaten war" even if you have no navy. :lol:

Some were, north Italy and some HRE land.

HRE is much less of an AE nightmare now thanks to the religious diplomats privilege.

True, it does help a lot, but it does seem like some nations that will get into the coalition either don't pop up or they end up entering later for reasons.

The biggest relations destroying surprise is getting excommunicated. It happens ironically when you pick religious ideas and start to take papal influence for granted due to conversions, and forget to keep the pope happy.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm playing as the Venail and its incredible how dogshit the elven modifiers are. First the "Elven administration"

Production Efficiency: +10% meh
National Tax Modifier: +10% meh
Prestige decay: -1% whatever
Female Advisor Chance: +25% shit
Technology cost: +5% shit
Global settler increase: -40 dogshit
Diplomatic reputation: +1 meh
Improve relations: +25% meh
Embrace institution cost: +33% awful
Institution spread: -33% awful

And the "Elven military"
Manpower recovery speed: -50% worst modifier in the game
Sailor recovery speed: -25% whatever
Light ship combat ability: +10% meh
Naval attrition: -25% meh
Cost of reducing war exhaustion: +50% dogshit
Yearly army tradition decay: -1% meh
Yearly navy tradition decay: -2% meh
Discipline: +10% first good thing
Reinforce speed: -33% dogshit
Mercenary manpower: -50% shit
Movement speed: +15% alright
Army drill gain modifier: +100% great
Regiment drill loss: -25% nice

I'd rather have no modifier than this shit.
You are forgetting their mission tree wich is very easy to complete and giving massive bonuses and income ,at least with the wood elves i am playing atm. They work fine sure the -50% manpower recovery is really crippling, but you can hire as many mercs you want then just build canons as regular troops. Then they have some unique territory you can easily move in while the attrition is strong. Its more or less for larping although as attrition doesnt do so much. They are meant to play as isolationists and dont go far from their forest, its working as intended.

Now i tried esthil and had huge trouble, lagging behind with the lich ruler at 0/0/0 , the necromancer armies not being worth it and no allies possible .The mod is almost like a new game compare to EU4
Yeah, they do have a huge mission tree, you have to survive the civil war first though. I was just pissed off because there were so many people to kill and I was getting 100 manpower per month.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So at least in the places I frequent I see the Anbennar mod is breathing new life into EU4. Probably a good sign for someone making a fantasy grand strategy game. After all the EU4 fantasy mod doesn't even let you do fantasy stuff. Really is just a generic EU4 map. Imagine if you could actually do cool stuff with spells and alos actual Diplomacy was a thing.

mondblut

Arcane
How is that latest DLC doing? Did they fix it? I've been out of the loop, but I remember the fallout a few months ago.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Looking forward to the mana factories in the inevitable Victoria 3 mod.
I'm so torn on Vicky 3. If it is a disappointment or just has even a few relevant systems be a let down, that is great news for Axioms. But I also want it to be awesome so I can do weird shit with Poland or the US in an awesome historical strategy game.

I think fantasy mods for Vicky 3 will probably be lame, though. Now Vicky 3 with Dominions 3-4-5 magic? I'd buy that. Paradox should buy Illwinter and get to work.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
How is that latest DLC doing? Did they fix it? I've been out of the loop, but I remember the fallout a few months ago.
Seems that they did, haven't encountered any major bugs. On the other hand i wasn't playing for a couple of years i don't know what to expect. I see just some weirdness you would expect from a Paradox product.
That and the AI sometimes going mental but that was always the case and always will be. Latest example for me: Hungary + Poland fight Ottomans. Most of Hungary is already occupied. What Hungary does? A campaign against the Ottos on the eastern coast of Black Sea. Eastern coast.

Tanaka

Educated
Looking forward to the mana factories in the inevitable Victoria 3 mod.

I think fantasy mods for Vicky 3 will probably be lame, though. Now Vicky 3 with Dominions 3-4-5 magic? I'd buy that. Paradox should buy Illwinter and get to work.

That would make no sense. Paradox makes real time games. Dominions is turn based. I would be completely shocked if the guys at Illwinter bowed down to any corporation. And it would be the worst thing for Dominions ever.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Did a gothic invasion run as Theodoro and it was pretty fun. Starting poor as shit in a crappy node, sandwiched between various major powers that dont particularly like you and no easy expansion paths.

x21oPYz.jpg

As always it becomes a bit of chore some time in the mid game when you've established yourself and defeated all your rivals but i "solved" this by accidentally fucking up getting my PU with Russia so suddenly i had a massive and hostile power with claims on half of my provinces... Now, it didn't amount to anything but at least i didn't have russia as my dog to bully the rest of europe. Also nice to not have to bother with anything outside of Europe since that unbalances the game so badly.

i honestly didn't understand what the issue was, because i hope it wasn't "there's people i don't like on my game, please remove keb... i mean, remove them".

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
One of steam discussions:

Can 1.33 please be the last update ?
Honestly the game doesn't need to be kept growth hormones forever. Just because there's no updates won't mean that the game is dead, I don't really see what other part of the world could be fleshed out again, maybe South America and then what ? You're gonna make a inuit flavor pack ? Add yet other stunningly broken features that will need three weeks to be patched ?

I think EU IV has reached maturity a while ago and it's time the devs move on. Let the modders breathe, let the community not have to go through weeks of broken savefiles and bugs with each major update, let's stop making DLCs that border on fantaisy for the sake of the 0.3% of the playerbase who are interested in playing the 3 dev opm Zungwagwa tribe on the shores of the Munguku river. Maybe it's time to pull the plug for good and just let the game live its twilight years in peace.

PSA : I won't be reading replies, because Paradox fanbase y'know.

I fucking died lol. The guy is right.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Redditards are at it again, trying to pressure company to do their agenda

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/sjwz0h/the_nazi_bar_problem_and_paradox_games/

Doesn't Paradox basically do this already? The explicit forum rule against kebab jokes is as hilarious as it is sad.

Still, pretty nuts that a YT'er gets harassed in this community just for dating someone that ain't white. Usually women get that for dating men that ain't white, but here it's even the dudes getting it?

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Redditards are at it again, trying to pressure company to do their agenda

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/sjwz0h/the_nazi_bar_problem_and_paradox_games/

Doesn't Paradox basically do this already? The explicit forum rule against kebab jokes is as hilarious as it is sad.

Still, pretty nuts that a YT'er gets harassed in this community just for dating someone that ain't white. Usually women get that for dating men that ain't white, but here it's even the dudes getting it?

Are you for real? Dont believe anything that these tranny shitheads write on plebbit, because its imagined to push agenda. Nothing like that happened im 99% sure, and the tranny is just making stuff up.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Are you for real? Dont believe anything that these tranny shitheads write on plebbit, because its imagined to push agenda. Nothing like that happened im 99% sure, and the tranny is just making stuff up.

I'm not that gullible dude, I looked it up and the YouTuber in question (Alex the Rambler) indeed got shit for exactly that.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not that gullible dude, I looked it up and the YouTuber in question (Alex the Rambler) indeed got shit for exactly that.

I don't follow any dramas or eu4 youtubers, beside occassional video from ludi et imperia if i want a playthrough idea. Care to link any drama about "him dating non-white girlfriend"? I couldn't find any.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Stavrophore I mean I'm not the dude's biographer or anything, but I've noticed he's not super personal and not one to readily whine or complain. He seemed to get a fairly heavy amount of shit for dating a girl who is ethnically Filipino, and hasn't been willing to put images or videos of partners online as a consequence of the harassment he got over her. One gets the impression that that stuff might have had a negative toll on their relationship, giving the timing of things.

Still think the reddit post is trite and not how you change anything meaningfully even if you agree with the base criticism on even a basic level.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Ehhh worthless drama over one youtube comment.
You introduce your personal life in the internet, get ready to get judged.
As i said and i uphold my position, the reddit tranny want to push agenda and make big stuff out of nothing.

These posts will probably be moved into gaming drama in a minute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom