Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You aren't going to be able to hang around the field of bone at low levels as anything other than an Iksar. The closest place you could bank or use merchants has too many high level zones between it. Why haven't you tried Blackburrow? That's one of the best zones in the game. Level there and do the gnoll fangs quest.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What if I play the low levels as an Iksar and then race change into human? I can do that in normal EQ. But what about P99? As for not being able to hang around, if I somehow reach there as an human, everyone will be hostile to me?

Poseidon00

Arcane
You aren't going to be able to hang around the field of bone at low levels as anything other than an Iksar. The closest place you could bank or use merchants has too many high level zones between it. Why haven't you tried Blackburrow? That's one of the best zones in the game. Level there and do the gnoll fangs quest.

Yeah, I got to the early teens very quickly as a barbarian warrior (relatively speaking, it's p99) because the game forces you through there if you want to go anywhere other than Halas.

The early leveling isn't hard, exactly. If you're careful. It's just tedious lol

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
That's not a thing on P99. I'd say either go to Blackburrow or just play an Iksar. Iksar is the best race for necro anyway and you'll spend most of the time in skeleton form at high levels anyway.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Update on the private EQ server: My buddy got back from travelling on site to work and got sick when he was there. Here's hoping he recovers soon.

By the way, what expansions is this server going to have? I think it should only have Kunark and Velious. My regards to him btw

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kunark areas also remembers me a lot of Gothic 2 DLC area. A thriving civilization which got devastated by God's plague with very mesoamerican structure. Since I play mostly in FP and most mage robes looks like dresses so I will look silly anyway, I think that I will go Iksar.

BTW, I tested and I can play in other private servers in Linux by copying stuff there, but I could't fix this bug in Linux - p99, so I need to restart to M$ spyware every time that I wanna play p99. I can access Lazarus server and even log in into the tutorial(only did to test) in Linux, but in P99 :

JC8qIuY.png

EDIT : fIXED

The solution :

In nutshell, is how different OP deals with different files.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just can't play as an Lizard.... Anyway, anyone here has a good lv 1~12 human necro guide??? Preferentially starting from Qeynos as Freeport was a chore? You google leveling guide and only live results or results skiping the worst part of classic EQ, the first 12 levels.

I wanna know :
  1. Good high mob density areas with no ambushes
  2. Quests and what to farm and give to
And that is it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Just play the fucking game dude. Necro is one of the easiest classes in the game and thousands of people have figured this out before when all we had was Allakhazam or whatever that pre-Wowhead site was and on 56k to boot! Uphill both ways!

Just play the fucking game dude. Necro is one of the easiest classes in the game and thousands of people have figured this out before when all we had was Allakhazam or whatever that pre-Wowhead site was and on 56k to boot! Uphill both ways!
Yeah and half the info we did have was entirely made up or so wrong as to be worthless. A good early example of how large groups of people curating information doesn't necessarily lead to accurate information lol. Also as I recall the internet usually had like 2-4 feet of snow on it back then.

But yeah most of the answer here is that in old EQ you just slogged through 1-12.

I started a halfling druid on green. Holy hell, talk about a slog... level 6 now, a non-pet spellcaster pre-meditate is rough! This reminds me of when I tried to solo a dwarf rogue back in the day (Do not recommend!) Had a book by my computer I read while resting up lol.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
thousands of people have figured this out

I know. I just wanna a guide which explains lv 1~12 in a place where I will not face tons of ambushes in low density mob areas; if thousands of people have figured out, why is so hard to find a good guide to speedrun to lv 12 and get warm blood ASAP?

PS : I know that necro is considered one of the easiest class but not the easiest to "start".

druid on green.

I have heard that Druids have a good start.... At lv 6, necros best DoT is poison bolt which takes 12 seconds to dish 16 damage and is constantly resisted and costs 30 mana. While Druids with Whirling Wind can deal 25 damage, stuns and costs 24 mana... Necromancers only start to become good at lv 12.

But I was looking for a guide like this : https://wiki.project1999.com/Qeynos_Starting_Guide#Where.2FWhat_to_Hunt

But more focused on 5~12.

thousands of people have figured this out

I know. I just wanna a guide which explains lv 1~12 in a place where I will not face tons of ambushes in low density mob areas; if thousands of people have figured out, why is so hard to find a good guide to speedrun to lv 12 and get warm blood ASAP?

PS : I know that necro is considered one of the easiest class but not the easiest to "start".

druid on green.

I have heard that Druids have a good start.... At lv 6, necros best DoT is poison bolt which takes 12 seconds to dish 16 damage and is constantly resisted and costs 30 mana. While Druids with Whirling Wind can deal 25 damage, stuns and costs 24 mana... Necromancers only start to become good at lv 12.

But I was looking for a guide like this : https://wiki.project1999.com/Qeynos_Starting_Guide#Where.2FWhat_to_Hunt

But more focused on 5~12.
All kidding aside, I feel your pain. Most guides that address early levels talk just about the quests around kaladim/gfay, and then some stuff for kunark. Leveling my first character, the high elf enchanter, was much simpler because there are a few good repeatable quests, specifically the bone chips and orc belts in kaladim. Most of the guides seem to assume you're starting in faydwer. I'm beginning to think some starting areas just kind of suck... back in the day I seem to have almost exclusively played dwarves/elves.

For example, it seems there are no good quests like that for halflings, it's just grinding on blue mobs then moving out further when you outlevel the mobs you've been grinding...

Necros have pets to start, so at least you're not just spending half your time sitting and waiting for mana to regen without meditate. Enchanter was kind of the same deal. By the way, you probably already know this, but it is extremely beneficial to give your pets hard hitting weapons early, even if they have awful delay, as pets ignore that. Having your level 1 pet hitting for 20 damage helps those early levels go a lot faster, and all it costs you is a rusty weapon worth a bit over 1 gold.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About starting areas, I really loved Serpent Spine(live) and Kunark(Vaniki level locked), all "classic" areas seems shit IMO, with lot of low density areas with ambushes and high level mobs mixed with low level mobs, making finding an enemy a chore... Qeynos is the lesser evil which I played. Blackburrow, I honestly din't liked much the potential to get "trains" there, but the ruins on north of Qeynos Hills are great.

For those who wonder how much better necros become from lv 11 to 12, the best necro dot at lv 11 is poison bolt which would dishes 6+
(5*7 tiks) damage or 41 damage (yes, no new offensive spells at lv 8 save a undead only spell), Heat Blood at this level will deal 17*6 tiks = 102 damage and the enemy has -100 to resist making resist extremely unlikely. The snare also becomes more than 2x more effective. Not even Wizards have increments of over 2x damage after getting a new spell "tier".

The unique thing which doesn't scale that much is their "pets", Emissary of Thule max damage is 61 * 3 (attacks per tik) = 183. It will not outDPS your DoTs, but helps a bit.

And in live, necromancers are even stronger. You get spells earlier and they are stronger than in p99...

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The game changed so much over the years that guides become obsolete when everything changes. A speedrun guide in 2004 was crap in 2006. It kinda never ends because the game keeps getting updated.

I just can't play as an Lizard.... Anyway, anyone here has a good lv 1~12 human necro guide??? Preferentially starting from Qeynos as Freeport was a chore? You google leveling guide and only live results or results skiping the worst part of classic EQ, the first 12 levels.

I wanna know :
  1. Good high mob density areas with no ambushes
  2. Quests and what to farm and give to
And that is it.

Iksar are the most majestic and mighty race and they also don't scream in pain every time they get hit like the other wusses. And the get bonus AC and regen.

If you don't wanna play one then your only choice is old starting zones. But they are better anyway, the old zones have the easiest mobs in the game. There are ambushes in FoB too, that happens in most places, you just gotta learn how to deal with it. The best way is to find a safe area where there are no mobs at all, then just run around and grab however many enemies you want and take them to your safe space and gank them. This method takes you through all levels and all zones. It also lets you learn the zone and learn what wanders where. Learning the zones is worth it because whenever you start a new character you will know how to level up faster. Also most of those old zones have guards to protect you, you can just run to them if you end up in trouble and they kill it.

As a Necro you should send in your pet and then use your biggest damage over time spell. When the pet is on about 50% you run up to the mob and start meleeing it. It will turn and attack you instead of the pet. (Turn pet taunt off) Now you do some melee and try to land a lifetap. Time your casts with the mob's attacks, so the second you get hit, start your lifetap and that gives you the most time until the next mob attack. You should win either way, and you'll be a bit damaged, and the pet will be damaged, but you can just sit and regen quickly. The pet can sit too which heals it fast. You gotta do this and share tanking duties until you get fear/snare/root and good enough mana pool to use them all in a fight. Also the tanking at low levels improves your characters defensive skills like dodge. Once you start fear kiting / rooting then you don't get hit much anymore.

And the whole time you do this you should be actively looking for a group so when you get tired of the brutal soloing... you can get a few easy levels in a group!

Those lame Live zones are not real EQ, they are just a way to level people up quick and easy. You could just buy a level 85 character or whatever the "Heroic" boost is. But learning to handle those ambushes and stuff is what EQ is all about. When you get to the high levels you are gonna need to be able to do all that and you need to be good at it. So you gotta practice through all the levels.
p.s. Some specifics. If you start as an Elf you'll be in Greater Faydark. Kill Orcs and hoard their belts (buy as many backpacks as you can and fill them with belts). At level 8 ish you can go to Crushbone dungeon and there are more belts in there and good xp. You can get fast levels there. When you have lots of belts, take them to Kaladim and give them to a guy who gives you lots of XP and some money/gear. The gear is mostly junk but you can sell it. You can get a few levels from just handing in all the belts. Also any Orc Scalps you can take to Highpass when you are level 18 ish and you get some xp/money for them. And that place is great XP too, and there is a special bag that drops. At 20 ish there are places you can get easy xp and make a lot of money. Most races have similar quests to this. Although generally it is much better to focus on just killing things as fast as possible and level up. And again, get a group because it's so much faster, easier, funner. The whole point of p99 is that its full of people who are looking for groups. There should be low levels too, usually they are experienced people starting again, so join them and get an easy ride.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
About starting areas, I really loved Serpent Spine(live) and Kunark(Vaniki level locked), all "classic" areas seems shit IMO, with lot of low density areas with ambushes and high level mobs mixed with low level mobs, making finding an enemy a chore... Qeynos is the lesser evil which I played. Blackburrow, I honestly din't liked much the potential to get "trains" there, but the ruins on north of Qeynos Hills are great.

For those who wonder how much better necros become from lv 11 to 12, the best necro dot at lv 11 is poison bolt which would dishes 6+
(5*7 tiks) damage or 41 damage (yes, no new offensive spells at lv 8 save a undead only spell), Heat Blood at this level will deal 17*6 tiks = 102 damage and the enemy has -100 to resist making resist extremely unlikely. The snare also becomes more than 2x more effective. Not even Wizards have increments of over 2x damage after getting a new spell "tier".

The unique thing which doesn't scale that much is their "pets", Emissary of Thule max damage is 61 * 3 (attacks per tik) = 183. It will not outDPS your DoTs, but helps a bit.

And in live, necromancers are even stronger. You get spells earlier and they are stronger than in p99...

If you're in Erudin just assume you should immediately take the boat to Qeynos, and do your levelling there.

1-4: newbie zone. Each city has a big holding zone right outside the gate. Get used to rats.
5-8: Qeynos: Qeynos Hills or West Karana. I recommend Q Hills. Freeport: North Ro or East Commonlands. Kaladim/Kelethin: Butcherblock or Greater Faydark. I recommend BB.
9-20: Qeynos: Blackburrow. You can also do Split Paw but it kinda sucks. Freeport: sucks ass for these levels, but you can do Rathe. My recommendation: take the opportunity to pick up and move to either Faydwer or the Qeynos area. Kaladim/Kelethin: Crushbone.
21+: Most people move to Kunark at this point and do Lake of Ill Omen. That can take you all the way to mid-30s. You can also do birds in the Karanas if you want (they drop some class armor (Lambent, Crafted etc)) which you should be able to auction for a decent price.

After that the world's your oyster, go wild.

Man this is making me jones for some EQ. I might join that private server JamesDixon :-D

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Lake of Ill Omen has a shit XP modifier. Better off going to Unrest instead. You can go there really early. Like early teens can do yard trash

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I loved to play in Lake of Ill Omen in Vaniki. Charming skeletons and attacking others and when the charm breaks free, running, lots of Iksars to kill, lots of monsters roaming around and different places to farm. In Vaniki, I'm not at the dreadlands. Quite interesting place too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Other question. Blackburrow was an amazing region to level up. I got lots of XP in relative short time there but when I was adventuring there, from nothing an lv 12 grizzly bear appeared literally behind me, killed me, and when I attempted to re enter, he was literally in the door of the dungeon. How much time I have to get my corpses and tons of Gnoll fangs there? I just can't defeat or evade him.

I tried to use my skeleton as an distraction while use /corpse to try to drag my corpse, but it din't worked. Even the lv 9 skeleton dies in a couple of seconds. Any suggestion? I also don't have money to buy Gather Shadows spell... I would have if I could get my corpses...

BTW, I"m not complaining about anything, I just wanna learn how to play this game...

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I"m playing. Is just that I'm not good in EQ and don't know where to ask questions. Already am close to lv 10 as an necro and started as an high elf mag.

I always was in doubt between mag X nec but the greatest problem of mag IMO is that most offensive spells are either MAG or FIRE damage. I wish that I could play as an Cryomancer, using an ice golem pet + icy based spells instead of fire but being a MAG using shock of swords + having an water elemental pet is not bad. BTW, I saw many people complaining about Butcherblock Mountains but visited there from faydark and seems like a good place to level up.

If I in high level commit an Dwarf genocide, which negative consequences I would face?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
from nothing an lv 12 grizzly bear appeared literally behind me, killed me, and when I attempted to re enter, he was literally in the door of the dungeon. How much time I have to get my corpses and tons of Gnoll fangs there? I just can't defeat or evade him.

I tried to use my skeleton as an distraction while use /corpse to try to drag my corpse, but it din't worked. Even the lv 9 skeleton dies in a couple of seconds. Any suggestion? I also don't have money to buy Gather Shadows spell... I would have if I could get my corpses...

BTW, I"m not complaining about anything, I just wanna learn how to play this game...

Heh such classic EQ. It wants to make you its bitch. It's harsh, but at least once you get to higher levels it feels awesome that you overcame all these things.

The bear should wander away eventually and then you can hopefully grab the corpse. You could also maybe use Fear and then drag the corpse to the zoneline and zone out before the feared guy comes back with friends. Or maybe find someone to lend you a few plat to buy Gather Shadows. A little later you will get FD which can save you from ambushes like that. It's probably better to not genocide the dwarves because it can effect factions that might come back to bite you later. But some stuff you can get away with. In classic I got from 40-50 killing the Gnomes in Steamfont. That was fine, and good xp.

I"m playing. Is just that I'm not good in EQ and don't know where to ask questions. Already am close to lv 10 as an necro and started as an high elf mag.

I always was in doubt between mag X nec but the greatest problem of mag IMO is that most offensive spells are either MAG or FIRE damage. I wish that I could play as an Cryomancer, using an ice golem pet + icy based spells instead of fire but being a MAG using shock of swords + having an water elemental pet is not bad. BTW, I saw many people complaining about Butcherblock Mountains but visited there from faydark and seems like a good place to level up.

If I in high level commit an Dwarf genocide, which negative consequences I would face?
You have 7 days before your corpse poofs.

Why do you care about the damage type? I get your name is "cryomancer" here but is that really all it's about? Or are there specific mobs you want to kill who are fire resistant or something? And yeah, butcherblock is pretty good and has a number of good quests nearby.

Dwarf genocide will mess up your faction with dwarves and some allies. You can probably repair it with enough work, but faction work is boring and doesn't generally give much, if any, xp.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
started again(no, din't deleted my almost lv 10 necro) as an MAG and OMG, my water elemental pet is a GOD compared to live water elemental pet and p99 skeleton pet. IF you look into pet statistics, water elemental seems just a tiny bit better than skeleton. In live, I can't just send my elemental into a mob 2 levels higher than me and expect him to kill the mob without losing half of his hp. In fact, I would say that against the sam mob(giant bat), my lv 4 mag pet performs better than my lv 8 necro pet.

Dwarf genocide will mess up your faction with dwarves and some allies.

As an necro, everyone already hate me, if I will do that, will be with an necro...

Heh such classic EQ. It wants to make you its bitch. It's harsh, but at least once you get to higher levels it feels awesome that you overcame all these things.

Yep. And I like it. I'm working my way out to get any spell, any non magical gear has its value and so on.

BTW, a veteran played buffed me a lot and I killed the bear and got my corpse.

Why do you care about the damage type?

Because fire is overrated.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom