Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Any way to reach Kunark without Plane of Knowledge? I'm playing in the level locked server but wonder if is possible to play as a human necromancer and level up in this area. I mean, that continent is amazing, wiht lots of places to farm. My first 1 to 60 experience was in the serpent spine, I found the high elf, and the two human starting areas relative hard. And was in doubt between level locked or the regular progression server but decided level locked only cuz PoK.
You get on a boat from Oasis. Or someone can teleport you. But both locations are dangerous, one depending on your race and one because there's a dragon and nasty stuff wandering.

Affff, so I will not re try p99. Honestly I spended a huge time traveling in the "classic" areas and every single place seems awful to level up. Honestly, every single region seems to have huge problems of "level spikes", where you can only fight too low level mobs or too high. Mainly at 20s. I tried ocean of tears but is impossible to not pull an army of goblins, so I'm back to Kunark(Lake of Ill Omen).

So far Kunark area is way better than in Antonica. I even considered playing p99 as an Iksar necromancer, but reptiles + be HATED even in dark elf cities + low INT + low CHA to charm undead + XP penalty...

Leveling in Serpent's Spine is so easy.
  1. Do the tutorial and get lots of money and magical gear + a merc and farm there till about lv 10~13
  2. Farm mobs in crescent reach till about lv 16 killing alligators, gnolls and then the skeletons
  3. Go to PoK and then buy broken OP gear and then to Blightfire moors, kills the Treants in the center till about lv 28, then move east, kill the corrupted stuff which I don't remember the name and in 30s, go to the northeast and farm the peaceful rats.
  4. Around lv 37+ go to Goru`kar Mesa and start to kill stuff there and do the repetitive quests for the Satyrs.
  5. At about lv 45, farm the cave near Satyr camp and later, farm the giants and centaurs.
  6. Farm PUMA/BEARS in the area west which I don't remember the name and then, go north into "The Steppes" and end the farm till lv 60~65
And that is it. You can using P2W potions probably get into 60s in a single day playing as an nonlifer.
Sounds kind of pointless TBH. Where's the (empty) sense of accomplishment in hitting 60 in a single day? I want to be able to look back with my level 60 character at all the time I wasted and will never get back.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Barbarians are cool but Warriors, ZzzZzz.

What about Barbarian Berserker?

Sounds kind of pointless TBH. Where's the (empty) sense of accomplishment in hitting 60 in a single day?

Just showing how quickly you can level up in live. IMO reaching lv 60 in live takes less time than reaching lv 12 in p99.

===============================

Anyway, after thinking a bit, I will give another chance to p99. I know that I had a lot of frustration but I will just have to become good enough. As for Vaniki server, anyone knows how the XP rate is in this server? Seems way higher than p99 but way slower than live.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Just showing how quickly you can level up in live. IMO reaching lv 60 in live takes less time than reaching lv 12 in p99.

You don't understand EQ at all then. The point of the game isn't the quick leveling. It's the journey that you take in that leveling with the people you are grouped with. Since everyone is max level it's hard to get a real group on Pay to Win EQ while in P99 it's a bit easier.

I still remember the woman I duoed with in 2001-2003. We both started in Nektulos as Dark Elves. She was a cleric and I was a necro. I would have my pet pull and she would heal us all. I spent every waking day with her and I still remember her to this day. Her toon was named Nelarae.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

You don't understand EQ at all then. The point of the game isn't the quick leveling. It's the journey that you take in that leveling with the people you are grouped with. Since everyone is max level it's hard to get a real group on Pay to Win EQ while in P99 it's a bit easier.

I still remember the woman I duoed with in 2001-2003. We both started in Nektulos as Dark Elves. She was a cleric and I was a necro. I would have my pet pull and she would heal us all. I spent every waking day with her and I still remember her to this day. Her toon was named Nelarae.
I have a similar story. Met a guy named Stigmata on Druzzil Ro in High pass. We were both camping the page you need for a really good +wis held item. I went to take a piss and he stole the kill from me. Thankfully the gms went ahead and gave me a copy of the page as I'd been at the camp like 20 hours.

Ended up hanging out with him a lot. He was a real piece of shit. Constantly scamming people in trades and even stole a few accounts by winning ebay auctions and never paying.

The worst thing he ever did to me was convince me to jump in the hole with levitate on. I didn't know levitate drops when you zone in and I lost my corpse and all my gear. He did that because he wanted me to switch to another server with him.

I even wrote a song about it:

Tokwin, he's short fat and green
Tokwin, he isn't very mean
Tokwin, he is a druid
He's gonna rue it
When Stigmata takes him to the hole

Last I heard from him he flipped someone off at a stop light and they broke his window, pulled him out of the car and beat his ass. Fucker finally got what he deserved.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The point of the game isn't the quick leveling.

I'm not saying that is. The fact is, I playing live din't had to learn maps, group, explore, talk to many NPCs, travel and interact with PCs or anything like that. Now, in p99, I din't even got a low level "GATE" spell cuz I cound't find someone to sell it to me and most of commerce in the tunnels seens to be high level. I was thinking in pay someone the little money tha I have to send me to Kunarch, so seems like people there would be hostile towards me and I would't be able to bind there.

Despite only played p99 in low levels, I was valuing each kill, each spell, each buff that a random guys throws in me extremely more. The appeal of p99 is that everything is extremely scarce and brutal.

And I know that for a casual player like myself, will gonna take years for me to see the end game content.

As for PETs, for a lv 4 pc, having a lv 5 skeleton is good and a lv 6 elemental is extremely good. When you are close to lv 60, having a lv 40 pet is not that good. Seems like magicians have a easy time in low levels and hard time in high levels.

Other question. Is researching spells hard?

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's brutal compared to Live but it gets easy in the higher levels when your character is strong. And again if you play with a group then you slaughter mobs quickly. I got to 52 in p99 in about 3 weeks.

Research just needs tons of 'Words' and then putting them in a box and clicking combine. Takes a lot of time and effort to do it yourself. Usually if you join a guild there's someone who can do it for you. Some guilds don't even need you to get the components because they have people hoarding so many.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are pets great in end game? I mean, in live, they become very weak in relation to the mobs about lv 50(still viable) and then only good again in 60s

About the game becoming easier in high levels, necros seems to only become a bit good at lv 12(Engulfing Darkness + Heat Blood). Before that your dots are atrocious. Poison Bolt + the 5% slow darkness spell. Considering how I'm playing live as an necro, I will play p99 as an magician high elf.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm kind of surprised that as the codex's #1 magefag Cryomancer doesn't seem interested in wizards at all

Wizards are all about evocation/nukes in EQ. TBH, being able to drain lifeforce from my enemies, use my own lifeforce to regain magical power, reanimate the dead, put nasty curses on the enemy or conjure powerful elementals and weapons, charm the enemy and make him fight for me(...) is way more interesting than "fireball". If Wizard could disintegrate/reduce enemies to ashes(obviously it should't work in bosses), transform enemies into stone of ice if they fail an "save", or transform then into toads, fly, use teleport on enemies(if they fail to resist), control the weather, slow/stop the time, shapeshift, create walls of ice, summon tentacles to grapple enemies(...) Wizards would be far more interesting.

So far I would say : Necromancers > Magicians > Enchanters > Wizards.

And this is not only in EQ, in Generic wow clone : Conan edition, I also din't liked much demonologist but loved necromancers there.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I have settled on Steamfont Mountains as my go-to leveling area from 8-15 or so. Minotaur slavers drop absurdly good loot compared to everything else I have yet encountered at this power level. Was raking in the plat and leveling at a decent pace.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Since I had ragedeleted all of my chars, started again yesterday. Today, a guy gave me lots of buffs and I managed to hit lv 8. But with very little money. Could't buy every spell that I wanted. NOw I just need more dozens of hours to get to lv 12 and I will finally have decent spells.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Are pets great in end game? I mean, in live, they become very weak in relation to the mobs about lv 50(still viable) and then only good again in 60s

About the game becoming easier in high levels, necros seems to only become a bit good at lv 12(Engulfing Darkness + Heat Blood). Before that your dots are atrocious. Poison Bolt + the 5% slow darkness spell. Considering how I'm playing live as an necro, I will play p99 as an magician high elf.

Pets never become great compared to the mobs because they had to make sure the mobs were a challenge for full groups of raid geared uber nerds. The Mage Epic is an exception and even that is only good in that classic era.

That's why Necro is special because they can solo using snare/fear so the pet doesn't have to tank. Or you get rid of the pet and do root/rotting in dungeons and try to take out nameds. You can also use charm. (The trick is to keep the target rooted and at max range). Dire Charm is much more fun, but you need a friend that can heal.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pets never become great compared to the mobs

Well, you just don't throw your pet in a mob and expect to win, except if you have a fully buffed/eqquiped lv 6 water elemental vs a lv 4~5 mob for eg. I played a lot with NEC/MAG and can say. In live and in Vaniki, at low levels, my pet is way stronger than me. At high levels, pets are at best a small distraction and a bit of extra DPS. An mob skeleton is extremely tougher than a summoned skeleton.

In classic, IDK, only played low level yet.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Since I had ragedeleted all of my chars, started again yesterday. Today, a guy gave me lots of buffs and I managed to hit lv 8. But with very little money. Could't buy every spell that I wanted. NOw I just need more dozens of hours to get to lv 12 and I will finally have decent spells.
Kill skeletons and sell the bone chips to high level players.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Dire Charmed pets are a lot of fun, charm that never breaks! It's what drove me to start multiboxing. I was playing on a server that was max level 60 and dire charm was limited to 50 so pretty useful having a permanent level 50 mob as a pet. But you couldn't see mob level only con so if you tried to charm something 51 you lose the charm for ages! So I made a Cleric and hurried it to level 50. Now I could use the cleric to con stuff and anything white was perfect. I used to find these really powerful level 50 piranhas that you could take out of the water :D I got an Enchanter to give it haste and my Cleric gave it buffs and kept it healed. I loved that shit, me and pet piranha tore that zone up! There was also an Bone Dragon in Dragon Necropolis that was level 50 so I could dire charm that and buff it. Made great money with that! Also Clerics had Complete Heal which made keeping it alive really easy.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Pets never become great compared to the mobs

Well, you just don't throw your pet in a mob and expect to win, except if you have a fully buffed/eqquiped lv 6 water elemental vs a lv 4~5 mob for eg. I played a lot with NEC/MAG and can say. In live and in Vaniki, at low levels, my pet is way stronger than me. At high levels, pets are at best a small distraction and a bit of extra DPS. An mob skeleton is extremely tougher than a summoned skeleton.

In classic, IDK, only played low level yet.
You should try a Beastlord sometime. They are really cool.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dire Charmed

There is dire charm in p99? I'm playing mostly in Vaniki. Which is not easy and fast to level as live nor is old school as p99. Is using no merc + Gates of Discord experience rates. Any place where I can permanently enslave a vampiress in Vaniki after I reach max level? hu3hu3 just kidding

Leveling in DREADLANDS .

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think on p99 it is limited to level 46 or something. So it's fun for a while then you go past it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Update on the private EQ server: My buddy got back from travelling on site to work and got sick when he was there. Here's hoping he recovers soon.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys, if I will play p99 or not, I wanna only one question. Can I freaking play in Field of Bones as an low level human necromancer? I don't wanna to play as an Lizard and low level p99 as an necro is a chore. I have an have a lv 66 necro in live and and in Vaniki server which allows me to do the tutorial with Gates of Discord experience rate and after the tutorial go to the Fields of Bones, a place which I can't reach in p99(and don't wanna to play as an Lizard)

Sesserdrix's guide also skips this levels. Which is exactly where I'm having huge troubles leveling up, getting almost no xp

"These levels are slow and grueling, and there is really no perfect spot. I suggest finding whatever way through this you can. If you have access to power leveling, these are the levels to push through. You do not have the mana sustainability to effectively fear kite, you do not have roots, nor a charm. You're going to be blundering around getting any experience you can."
https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix's_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide#The_First_12_Levels

I tried :

• North Desert of Ro
  • Freeport sewers
  • East Commonlands
  • Restart in Qeynos
  • Qeynos sewers
  • North part of Qeynos

And the game continues being NOTHING but frustration. I usually rage quit and delete my char to not start again only to try p99 again and be frustrated in a cycle. All mobs either give way less than 0,5% of XP or are too high level for someone with a low level skeleton and a poison bolt + a awful darkness spell which never lands.

Any way to get into Field of Bones without having to play as an Lizard and bind myself there? If the awnser is not, sorry but I think that I will not play P1999. I already have enough frustration IRL and don't need to suffer from dozens of hours before maybe I can get fun(no grantee that the game will become better after I level up more)

----------------------------

Other question. In the TLP servers, can I create an Iksar and use the race change item from the p2w store to become human? Essentially having access to Kunarch low level area without having to play as an Lizard?

Poseidon00

Arcane
And the game continues being NOTHING but frustration. I usually rage quit and delete my char

This is how P99 is meant to be enjoyed. Welcome to the past!

Necros are supremely good solo'ers because of DoTs and pets, so you should have an easier time than most. Git gud at strafe running and be very careful with mob picks. Like a predator stalking the wilderness.

Also to answer your question I have no idea

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom