Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't understand why people like boxing. It's just way too much work and sucks the fun out of the game. You might as well play a single player game at that point.

Agreed.

Anyway, is freeport sewers a good place to level up? Things are very slow here in the northen tip of the desert of ro. And most guides that I find in yt are life not p99. So far the brutality is insane but somehow I'm enjoying it. I wanna reach lv 8 soon so I can see in the darkness(for noobs : humans don't have nightvision and Deadeye is a must have spell for h/nec)

edit : Who I can give boneships to get xp? And where I can find him?

Supermedo

Augur
Okay, I'm interested, as 30 something-year-old man who doesn't have friends who play video games; How soloable is the game?

On Live servers, it's easier because you can use psuedo-npcs in the form of mercs. PEQ lets you have multiple actual characters being used at once, and that is the easiest.

That is cool; I will give the live server first a try.
How soloable is the game?

Depends. Necromancers / Magicians are extremely soloable, now rogues are incredible hard to solo. But is not hard to find people to buff you. Among melee classes, I believe that the best to solo is Monk.

Luckily, Spellcasters and their variation are my favorite class in every game.

I don't understand why people like boxing. It's just way too much work and sucks the fun out of the game. You might as well play a single player game at that point.
I don't mind playing with a group. Still, I also like taking my time playing and experiencing the story/atmosphere/exploration without a guide, it is an old game, and most people still playing it are hardcore, hit the level cap, and know the meta, so likely hood of finding a group to level with from the start is zero.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

If you use MacroQuest it automates everything so you can end up with a full group that acts like real people, but you are in charge. It's awesome, it's like playing a party based RPG like Baldurs Gate or something.

I multiboxed manually for years too because it's fun as hell! But I prefer the automation now. I would play a singleplayer game but nothing comes close to this in terms of content and depth. I play them too, I did Solasta, BT4, KOTC2, and some others in the last year or so. They are fun but they are all tiny little toys compared to EQ. I wish it wasn't like this but it is :/

Mortmal

Arcane

If you can't get a group you are still playing a single player game as a solo. You really didn't think that one through did you? :lol:
Boxing is a good option, looking for group was a pain back then and probably still is,if not worse. I dont know if mercenaries are worth it , also probably not.
Okay, I'm interested, as 30 something-year-old man who doesn't have friends who play video games; How soloable is the game?
Game is not made for solo at all, one of the worse mmo for it , most of the content intended for your level is group content. Of course you could kite with a necro ,slow their walking speed and use dots , but it's slow , unenjoyable, and gets old very fast. Unless you are autistic enough to endure it , quite possible and not unusual on the dex.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't get the appeal of playing these games solo. For me it's all about "getting better" and to get better I need players of about equal equipment to compare my damage to. It's fun to get better and to get praised, and motivating to get shat on.

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't get the appeal of playing these games solo. For me it's all about "getting better" and to get better I need players of about equal equipment to compare my damage to. It's fun to get better and to get praised, and motivating to get shat on.
It's like anvi said, especially early on, its good classic dungeon crawl. Have a look on guk and lower guk dungeon for exemple. Then later i think it get expended even more.Only problem was the price of multiboxing since it was subscription game.Would be a lot more enoyable solo or only with friends and no other players interfering at all, they are only a nuisance ,competiting for spawns , in the case of everquest.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Boxing is a good option, looking for group was a pain back then and probably still is,if not worse. I dont know if mercenaries are worth it , also probably not.

These days you're dumped in Crescent Reach if you choose not to do the tutorial. Crescent Reach has better loot, but man is it confusing and you die easily from mobs that are just slathered all over the zone. There really isn't a safe spot to pull from once you cross the creek. Nobody is in the starting zones, so you're faced with a vast emptiness.

Mortmal

Arcane

These days you're dumped in Crescent Reach if you choose not to do the tutorial. Crescent Reach has better loot, but man is it confusing and you die easily from mobs that are just slathered all over the zone. There really isn't a safe spot to pull from once you cross the creek. Nobody is in the starting zones, so you're faced with a vast emptiness.
When it was new , it's not because there were players they were going to cooperate...I dont think its possible anymore to experience the content without boxing either.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

EQ is basically in maintenance mode with Daybreak. There is also a severe problem with Kronos farmers where multi-boxers lock down required spawns for epics and quests to force you to buy the drops from them at inflated prices. I wouldn't touch live with a 100 foot pole.

Oh you can forget about the community helping. Gone are those days. Now the number one rule is DPS is King. People will kill steal from you like there is no tomorrow on top of the above problem with the RMT boxers.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

When it was new , it's not because there were players they were going to cooperate...I dont think its possible anymore to experience the content without boxing either.

That's why my best friend is setting up a custom EQ server for me so I can experience the game as it was meant to be. I don't have to worry about people waking The Sleeper and ruining the game with that event.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Game is not made for solo at all, one of the worse mmo for it

Throw a bunch of DoTs and root the enemy as a necro and go to the next target. You can kill hordes of mobs quickly that way with no need for a group.

EQ is basically in maintenance mode with Daybreak

Disagreed. They still are releasing early expansions and released a progression server som time ago.

Mortmal

Arcane

EQ is basically in maintenance mode with Daybreak. There is also a severe problem with Kronos farmers where multi-boxers lock down required spawns for epics and quests to force you to buy the drops from them at inflated prices. I wouldn't touch live with a 100 foot pole.

Oh you can forget about the community helping. Gone are those days. Now the number one rule is DPS is King. People will kill steal from you like there is no tomorrow on top of the above problem with the RTM boxers.
Community was not so helpful already before, frankly its good you give your honest opinion about it , viktor is painting it again like something that dont exist and never did.

Mortmal

Arcane
Game is not made for solo at all, one of the worse mmo for it

Throw a bunch of DoTs and root the enemy as a necro and go to the next target. You can kill hordes of mobs quickly that way with no need for a group.

EQ is basically in maintenance mode with Daybreak

Disagreed. They still are releasing early expansions and released a progression server som time ago.
I think they were immune to this by gate of discord expansion. And really that's boring as fuck, its a group game , real people or box, its made for a party.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Yes, they are releasing expansions for the players at max levels but nothing for the lower levels. All TLP does is recycle existing content and gate it like it was released live over the past twenty years. It's still in maintenance mode for most players.
Community was not so helpful already before, frankly its good you give your honest opinion about it , viktor is painting it again like something that dont exist and never did.
I disagree since in 2001-2003 I was in a really good guild on Lanys T'val. That was an awesome server as well. You could ask for help and get it within minutes.

Mortmal

Arcane
Yes, they are releasing expansions for the players at max levels but nothing for the lower levels. All TLP does is recycle existing content and gate it like it was released live over the past twenty years. It's still in maintenance mode for most players.
I disagree since in 2001-2003 I was in a really good guild on Lanys T'val. That was an awesome server as well. You could ask for help and get it within minutes.
Started on karana, it was abominable, on erolisi mar, better although not fantastic. Went back years later to try a batch of expansions, i cant remember exactly when 2010 or so, community was ok but almost exclusively boxing. Now i dont have the courage to have a look at the ruins.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know that people will say that im saying it only for nostalgia(from a game which I only played as an adult), but IMO the spell effects and ui icons are much more beautiful in p99 than in live.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

If you can't get a group you are still playing a single player game as a solo. You really didn't think that one through did you? :lol:

If I can't find a group I just work on tradeskills or port people around for plat. There are plenty of other things to do while LFG. Beats doing all the work of setting up macros or tabbing between 6 windows imo.

Agreed.

Anyway, is freeport sewers a good place to level up? Things are very slow here in the northen tip of the desert of ro. And most guides that I find in yt are life not p99. So far the brutality is insane but somehow I'm enjoying it. I wanna reach lv 8 soon so I can see in the darkness(for noobs : humans don't have nightvision and Deadeye is a must have spell for h/nec)

edit : Who I can give boneships to get xp? And where I can find him?
I don't know anyone who goes to the freeport sewers for xp. If you're in Freeport most people would stay in the noob yard, then hit the commonlands until around their teens, then head to the Oasis after that. There are lots of different bone chips quests. I only ever did the one in Cabilis for faction

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bone_Chips_Quests

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
If I can't find a group I just work on tradeskills or port people around for plat. There are plenty of other things to do while LFG. Beats doing all the work of setting up macros or tabbing between 6 windows imo.

I rarely have to tab between 6 characters as MQ2+E3 do a really good job of controlling the other 5 members of your party. It's also a breeze to set up. You make it sound like it's a torture test.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

I rarely have to tab between 6 characters as MQ2+E3 do a really good job of controlling the other 5 members of your party. It's also a breeze to set up. You make it sound like it's a torture test.
It sounds a lot like work and I hate work. I'm a pretty lazy dude.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
It sounds a lot like work and I hate work. I'm a pretty lazy dude.

It's not work in the slightest. The extent of it is setting up spells for your spellcasters which is rather simple. Here's the example for healing.

Tank Heal=Pious Light/HealPct|85/Gem|2

Ooo so difficult.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Guys any good video showing a quick leveling for necromancer mainly at lv 1~12? I'm with seriously problems in p99. I mean, in freeport gates I get almost no XP, like nothing. They recommended East Commonlands in this guide ( https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix's_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide#The_First_12_Levels )

But honestly I found that area awful. I need to spend long minutes walking trying to find enemies, most of the time I find an enemy and other player engages and kills him and some times Pumas and other nasty enemies appear and I have to run and pray to not be dead. When the night comes, I'm blind even with a lantern.

NOrth Ro seems a bit better, I mean, enemies still give little to no XP but there was way less players there. And people said that freeport was a good starting city, I imagine the bad... The guide also said "These levels are slow and grueling, and there is really no perfect spot. I suggest finding whatever way through this you can. If you have access to power leveling, these are the levels to push through. You do not have the mana sustainability to effectively fear kite, you do not have roots, nor a charm. You're going to be blundering around getting any experience you can."

TBH is so frustrating that I"m almost ragequitting. I can't find a good way to level up. And is annoying to walk for 10 minutes and "cool an enemy" only to have the enemy killed for another player and then a puma start to attack you and you have to try to slow/fear him while run to freeport...

Any starting area is better tahn freeport and I can play as an necro? I really wanna enjoy p99 but since I leaved freeport this become a endless frustration.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You have been spoiled by playing live. It sounds like you are expecting more xp than you are going to get.

If you want a better starting area I personally prefer Qeynos. It has Blackburrow nearby and you can turn in gnoll fangs from there for xp and the quest rewards can be turned in for even more xp. You'll have one hell of an adventure getting to Freeport once you're ready to leave if you try to run there though.

The Iksar starting area is pretty sweet too and Iksar makes the best necro imo. Just pump up their stamina at creation and rely on their regen. You can max int later with items.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I agree that I"m too spoiled by live, But in the regions or I'm walking and finding NOTHING or I"m finding greens which gives almost no XP or I'm finding "reds" which I can't kill. Some players seems to kill enemies which gives no XP for then by no good reason. And that is what is frustrating. Walk endlessly and never find a mob to find or a quest to do. That is so frustrating.

IF I start again as an high elf magician will I be able to find mobs to kill?? This endless walking to find places in city and endless walking to find mobs is not fun.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't have a lot of experience with low leveling on Faydwer. You get a noob area and then crushbone is nearby. I don't really know how it is between noob and crushbone. In your teens you can go to Unrest and stay there until your high 20s then move to castle mistmoore after that. That's what most people did up until Kunark came out.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IS hard to find stuff like necro guild in Qeynos? I think that I will start again there. I'm suffering a lot at moment... I don't wanan to kill an rat and get 35%xp like in live, I just wanna have something to do in the game other than an endless running and killing greens...

EDIT : Before I will try the sewers of freeport.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom