Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
"n-n-n-no I'm not obsessed! I just keep replying to you everytime I see you since you shit on my manlet love!"
ok bro
Uh, you realize that this is a public forum where the entire point is to have conversations with people, right? Yes, if someone says some dumb untrue shit relating to a subject that I know a lot about I'm going to argue with them. You're not special dude. It's really weird that you're bringing all this up in a thread about Everquest

Codex Year of the Donut
After my sub ends, I will TEST p99
helpful to remember that despite what people who play it say, it has a lot of things wrong compared to live and a lot of mechanics have made it in over the years that were merely player suspicion and not based on real data.
Some of these have been subsequently fixed by EQEmu upstream but never backported to P99. We have no way of knowing as P99 isn't open source.

e.g., just an overview of things P99 has wrong about hate that's known: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307970

"n-n-n-no I'm not obsessed! I just keep replying to you everytime I see you since you shit on my manlet love!"
ok bro
Uh, you realize that this is a public forum where the entire point is to have conversations with people, right? Yes, if someone says some dumb untrue shit relating to a subject that I know a lot about I'm going to argue with them. You're not special dude. It's really weird that you're bringing all this up in a thread about Everquest
I mean, maybe he's wrong in this specific instance, but there are definitely some people here who have a special weird hate boner for rusty... Which I kind of get, because he's a magnificent asshole (I mean that in the best possible way).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I mean, maybe he's wrong in this specific instance, but there are definitely some people here who have a special weird hate boner for rusty... Which I kind of get, because he's a magnificent asshole (I mean that in the best possible way).
Yeah I'm not one of them. In fact I've made sure to specifically state that I like Rusty a couple of times so that he doesn't think I'm one of those guys. Really weird that he thinks I'm mad that we argued a bit about the fuhrer or that I'm out to get him

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I stopped playing Imperium and switched to ProjectEQ. I'm now running a full group multi-box. You can run full raids using bots as well on the server. I use MQ2+E3 to automate all this.

Current Group consists of the following:

High Elf Paladin - Main
Barbarian Beastlord - Bot
High Elf Cleric- Bot
Dark Elf Wizard - Bot
High Elf Bard - Bot
Human Enchanter - Bot

It took me a good while to figure out how to set up everything, but it's worth it.

ProjectEQ is one of the oldest emulated servers out there. It goes up to Omens of War. They did a revamp of all the databases to have it match Live. The experience progression matches classic which I like.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I stopped playing Imperium and switched to ProjectEQ. I'm now running a full group multi-box. You can run full raids using bots as well on the server. I use MQ2+E3 to automate all this.

High Elf Paladin - Main
High Elf Cleric- Bot
Dark Elf Wizard - Bot
High Elf Bard - Bot
Human Enchanter - Bot

It took me a good while to figure out how to set up everything, but it's worth it.

ProjectEQ is one of the oldest emulated servers out there. It goes up to Omens of War. They did a revamp of all the databases to have it match Live. The experience progression matches classic which I like.

Using bots to have your own team sounds really interesting, but the setup guide looked like such a nightmare it turned me off trying it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

High Elf Paladin - Main
High Elf Cleric- Bot
Dark Elf Wizard - Bot
High Elf Bard - Bot
Human Enchanter - Bot

Using bots to have your own team sounds really interesting, but the setup guide looked like such a nightmare it turned me off trying it.

It's actually pretty easy if you follow the examples. I know that there's a bug with buffs where a bot won't cast the first one. You have to do it manually then it buffs from then on.

Poseidon00

Arcane

High Elf Paladin - Main
High Elf Cleric- Bot
Dark Elf Wizard - Bot
High Elf Bard - Bot
Human Enchanter - Bot

It's actually pretty easy if you follow the examples. I know that there's a bug with buffs where a bot won't cast the first one. You have to do it manually then it buffs from then on.

Alright well you sold me on it. How do you use these bots exactly? A simple link would be nice. Cant seem to find a quick and easy guide.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Alright well you sold me on it. How do you use these bots exactly? A simple link would be nice. Cant seem to find a quick and easy guide.

This is what I used. It has all the links to download the right version of EQ plus MQ2 and E3 Macros. If you get stuck on anything just look at the sample macros for the established bots.

Now for my own bit of advice and help.

Make sure that you link your EQEmulator accounts to the ProjectEQ server. It's under Game Accounts on the ProjectEQ webpage. EQEmulator requires you to wait a week to have more than 3 accounts tied to their server for 1 email account. The only way to get around that is to make sure you use two email accounts.

Install Project EQ into two different folders. Have one folder for your main and the other for your bots. This way you can turn down the music/sound and graphics on the bots while keeping them turned up on your main character. Always check to make sure that you have a bard for selling to get the most money. Auto login for me required a change from UseMQ2Login=1 to UseMQ2Login=0 in MQ2AutoLogin.ini because I wrote a custom bat file to launch all the clients.

Create a custom bat file that has all of the accounts listed that you'll use. I'll show you mine so you can use it as a base. Just change things to fit your accounts and game installs.

#launch eq without wineq
#you can use multiple eq directory AND multiple eqclient.ini, though bugs exist with the eqclient. see mq2autologin.ini
tasklist /nh /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq JamesDixon" | find /i "eqgame.exe" > nul ||(start "JamesDixon" /d "C:\Games\Project EQ Main" "C:\Games\Project EQ Main\eqgame.exe" patchme -h /Login:JamesDixon) && (timeout /t 30)

tasklist /nh /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq JacostaMoon" | find /i "eqgame.exe" > nul ||(start "JacostaMoon" /d "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots" "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots\eqgame.exe" patchme -h /Login:JacostaMoon) && (timeout /t 30)

tasklist /nh /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq RapstaStar" | find /i "eqgame.exe" > nul ||(start "RapstaStar" /d "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots" "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots\eqgame.exe" patchme -h /Login:RapstaStar) && (timeout /t 30)

tasklist /nh /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq DeniraMoon" | find /i "eqgame.exe" > nul ||(start "DeniraMoon" /d "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots" "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots\eqgame.exe" patchme -h /Login(colon)DeniraMoon) && (timeout /t 30)

tasklist /nh /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq FenrilDaDead" | find /i "eqgame.exe" > nul ||(start "FenrilDaDead" /d "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots" "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots\eqgame.exe" patchme -h /Login:FenrilDaDead) && (timeout /t 30)

tasklist /nh /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq ILuvTrees" | find /i "eqgame.exe" > nul ||(start "ILuvTrees" /d "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots" "C:\Games\Project EQ Bots\eqgame.exe" patchme -h /Login:ILuvTrees) && (timeout /t 30)

powershell "$process=GET-PROCESS eqgame; foreach ($i in $process) {$i.ProcessorAffinity=255}"

What this does is that it titles each game window with the character's name. I have a much slower computer as it's a weak laptop. That's why I have a timeout of 30 seconds between the bat starting a new client. The final line forces the EQ clients to be spread across all your cores.

At level 1-3 your caster bots aren't that much use to you. They really start to shine as they get more spells.

If you do the mines tutorial you're going to work for that completion since you have to do the quests 6 times. One for each toon you have. Be prepared to have the nearly full EQ classic experience in camping for drops.

Oh the chunks of iron and bronze that you get in the mines you can turn into Absor in the rebellion camp. He gives you weapons appropriate for your class.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
I just found out about Kedge Keep. Couldnt be more perfect for my tastes. Love large underwater levels in DnD, especially when they are hidden, especially especially when they are full of powerful bosses. Undertow is my boy!

It will take me a long time to get a character ready for it, but when I do im gonna make that a permenent home of mine.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Kedge keep is a nice zone with some decent loot and no one ever goes there so not much competition

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played as an nonlifer(about 6 hours / day) with my magician and ... Reached lv 50 in about 23h51m

wn2ki7W.jpg

6h/d is a hell lot of time playing. Almost a full time job. IF I stopped going to the gym, I could reach 8h/d but doesn't worth. So far, leveling to lv 50 was 2.5x quicker as an magician than as an necromancer. I"m not saying that necromancer is weaker, quite the contrary, in long fights or in battlefield control, nec > mag. As for deaths, I only died once. At lv 46(any command which shows deaths, so I can prove that?) I din't saw the DoT in my char and mismanaged my hp in this death. I also got close to die other times but luckly GATE spell saved my life.

So far, I really loved MAG. A powerful magician with powerful servants is what magicians are.

The unique thing that I din't liked much about magicians is that their offensive spells are too "pyromantic", would be better if a magician would have to attune to a element and had spells based in the element which they attuned. Also din't liked that I have only elementals and summoned mobs. I wanna own a golem!!!

Last edited:

Supermedo

Augur
So wait people in the official servers can't use bots, so how do they do the dungeon raids? I can't imagine there are enough people to play with.

Poseidon00

Arcane
So wait people in the official servers can't use bots, so how do they do the dungeon raids? I can't imagine there are enough people to play with.

Believe it or not the servers are quite populated. I've seen 900+ people on green and a good portion of them hang out near important raid targets.

Mortmal

Arcane
I played as an nonlifer(about 6 hours / day) with my magician and ... Reached lv 50 in about 23h51m

wn2ki7W.jpg

6h/d is a hell lot of time playing. Almost a full time job. IF I stopped going to the gym, I could reach 8h/d but doesn't worth. So far, leveling to lv 50 was 2.5x quicker as an magician than as an necromancer. I"m not saying that necromancer is weaker, quite the contrary, in long fights or in battlefield control, nec > mag. As for deaths, I only died once. At lv 46(any command which shows deaths, so I can prove that?) I din't saw the DoT in my char and mismanaged my hp in this death. I also got close to die other times but luckly GATE spell saved my life.

So far, I really loved MAG. A powerful magician with powerful servants is what magicians are.

The unique thing that I din't liked much about magicians is that their offensive spells are too "pyromantic", would be better if a magician would have to attune to a element and had spells based in the element which they attuned. Also din't liked that I have only elementals and summoned mobs. I wanna own a golem!!!
6H a day? Pussy! I was putting in the double ! And we stayed sometimes 24h straight to double farm the planes.
That said i suggest you dont invest too much in those classes if you want to progress in everquest. It's not a solo game at all. In the case you want to see everything , it's not pick the class you like but the class that will brings you where you want to be . Everquest is an hellhole,community was toxic and elitist, probably still is. For raids you will requires one or two warriors , so they will be in relatively low demands, while you require one for each dungeon group, there you will be high demand... Enchanter or bard same, one is welcome for every group, in raid ? Not so much. Now cleric is mandatory in both cases that's what i would recomend to invest in, but they are boring shit and with mods even your cat can play them. As for DPS , wizard or rogue. Hybrids ? Pet classes ? to the trash bin .

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
it's not pick the class you like but the class that will brings you where you want to be

This I strongly disagree. I have no fun playing martial classes for eg. Also, is not my job to make my class useful to groups if the game is group focused. And call of the hero is extremely useful in raids. Being able to charm elementals is a huge DPS boost in some raids. Companion of necessity and other AA can save your group's ass.

That said, I like to have powerful spells and powerful servants and will play that way, regardless of being desired by groups or not.

Mortmal

Arcane
it's not pick the class you like but the class that will brings you where you want to be

This I strongly disagree. I have no fun playing martial classes for eg. Also, is not my job to make my class useful to groups if the game is group focused. And call of the hero is extremely useful in raids. Being able to charm elementals is a huge DPS boost in some raids. Companion of necessity and other AA can save your group's ass.

That said, I like to have powerful spells and powerful servants and will play that way, regardless of being desired by groups or not.
Well i just warned you will hit a wall there, if you enjoy it like that good for you, but lot of content will be unavailable.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I play video games to have fun, not to get the bigger number. I don't care if human necros are suboptimal, I played as one till lv 61(when switched to mag)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
What are you doing? You can't just play any class you want, you need to play the meta! Stop it! You can't think for yourself! STOP!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What are you doing? You can't just play any class you want, you need to play the meta! Stop it! You can't think for yourself! STOP!

Yep. IMO one of the greatest problems of mmos is people wanting to dictate how other people play their game. But is not only in mmos, in Dark Souls, some people insist that players should only use swords and no shields. Doesn't matter how cool stuff like moonlight greatsword is in ds2, you can't use this because I'm dictating so.

So far, EQ has cooldowns, but is not an endless "same rotation spam" like other mmos(which is why I hate cooldowns in most cases), in EQ, a spell can be broken OP in a situation and worthless in another. The unique thing which I din't liked much in EQ(live) is stat stickie itemization. I would prefer if attributes where raised like skills are instead of a lv 1 magician and a lv 120 magician having the same intellect without gear.

Mortmal

Arcane

Yep. IMO one of the greatest problems of mmos is people wanting to dictate how other people play their game. But is not only in mmos, in Dark Souls, some people insist that players should only use swords and no shields. Doesn't matter how cool stuff like moonlight greatsword is in ds2, you can't use this because I'm dictating so.

So far, EQ has cooldowns, but is not an endless "same rotation spam" like other mmos(which is why I hate cooldowns in most cases), in EQ, a spell can be broken OP in a situation and worthless in another. The unique thing which I din't liked much in EQ(live) is stat stickie itemization. I would prefer if attributes where raised like skills are instead of a lv 1 magician and a lv 120 magician having the same intellect without gear.
I am not dictating how you should play your game, again warning you EQ is probably one of the worse mmo when it comes to soloability . I am telling the bad things no one wants to hear but EQ is a concentrate of all this problems. IF people switched to WOW in droves , there was a reason. You will spend hours raising up character and end up not being to do anything anymore with them.

Gregz

Arcane
They've really fucked up the game since the classic era. No one would have been able to solo a mob 8 levels above them as any class during the first two expansions. Maybe if they kited it for hours back in the days before they made dots do half damage on mobs that are chasing you but even then I don't know how you'd land any spells on a mob 8 levels above you. Also lol @ being disappointed at getting 5% of a level from a kill. In classic you generally wouldn't even see the bar move from a single kill unless you were very low level.

Edit: In fact I remember when they changed the ui to add a blue line over the xp bubbles so that people could in fact see that they were getting XP. The bar was split into 5 yellow bubbles with a blue line crawling across the yellow bubbles. Getting the blue line all the way across one of the yellow bubbles was called a blue bubble and represented 1/5th of a yellow and getting half of a blue bubble from a kill was considered awesome XP

All this was during a normal level. There were also hell levels that took twice as long and gave double XP loss if you died in the level that came after one of the hell levels.

Classic is indeed the best, but it requires lots of players to make it work right.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EQ is probably one of the worse mmo when it comes to soloability . I am telling the bad things no one wants to hear but EQ is a concentrate of all this problems. IF people switched to WOW in drove

I cant tell about p99 but at least on live, i posted screenshots of I moloing a mob 7 lvs above me as a magician.

Some people say that m/soloing is way easier now than in classic. Others say that mag pets are even stronger in classic.

As for people switching to wow, IMO wow is vastly inferior.

Mortmal

Arcane
EQ is probably one of the worse mmo when it comes to soloability . I am telling the bad things no one wants to hear but EQ is a concentrate of all this problems. IF people switched to WOW in drove

I cant tell about p99 but at least on live, i posted screenshots of I moloing a mob 7 lvs above me as a magician.

Some people say that m/soloing is way easier now than in classic. Others say that mag pets are even stronger in classic.

As for people switching to wow, IMO wow is vastly inferior.
It's the rose tinted glasses of nostalgy, EQ was extremely repetitive , classes very simplistic to play. Some cleric friend was lamenting that all he was doing was watching a bar of color and pressing heal buttons. He was 100% right... Content started to be exclusive to a group around kunark expansion, the grind atrocious, and if you werent in the needed classes people would make sure let you know, oh yes ! Then raid were more elitist than you can imagine. Past kunark, velious i am pretty sure 1% of the playerbase saw everything the game had to offer. Then it was constant drama about the loot( extremely scarce) , constant drama about people, like codex drama^10 with an even worse cutthroat community. At least in pvp games there's more respect between people.
EQ only suceeded because it was the first 3D MOO , you would have been very unhappy playing a necro at launch, the community manager was even laughing at us and our class request on forum. Wow vanilla was simply a game considerably more fun, better on every single aspects. EQ was hell and people i raided with told me they wouldnt do it if they could change the past.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's the rose tinted glasses of nostalgy

Not truth. I only started to play eq as an adult. I also tested shadowbane only this year.

Both Seems to have the basic rpg elements, but I liked eq way more and i have mentioned problems with eq, like stat stickye itemization and low lethality combat + long down times.

was the first 3D MOO

Wrong. Was meridian 59.

Wow vanilla was simply a game considerably more fun, better on every single aspects.

The bare minimum that i expect in a rpg is to have non clone pcs. Two warlocks at lv 60 are exactly the same in wow.

And graphics are immersion breaking

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom