Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Alphard

Arcane
The eye of the storm at the end of the world
Is there a way to cast spells directly from the spellbook? or i have to memorize them first ( max 8 at time, or 12 with augments later) ?
i ask because i have now a lot of conjured items to summon and the process to write each spell, use it , then remove from spell bar is very time consuming and annoying

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is there a way to cast spells directly from the spellbook? or i have to memorize them first ( max 8 at time, or 12 with augments later) ?
i ask because i have now a lot of conjured items to summon and the process to write each spell, use it , then remove from spell bar is very time consuming and annoying

You have to memorize them and that's been like that since day 1.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They have to be memorized first. But if you right click the spell slots you get a drop down list that shows the spells sorted, so it makes them easier to find. And then if you right click the little book icon at the bottom of the spell bar, you can save different spell setups. So I save all my buffs as 1, and load that when I'm buffing. Then I load spellset 2 and that's got my stuff for fighting.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks a lot. Which is the "oldest" progression server? I know that will not be as faithful as p99, but I'm just wondering.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Where I can find "peridot"? Seems like I will need it for many spells. Also, seems like my lv 53 pet is weaker than my previous lv 49 pet... A question. I know that magician pets are way better than necro. But how much better?
1) Merchants sell them. You could find them near the bank in Freeport in classic. I don't think Freeport is even the same city on live anymore.

2) Mages are gay. The pets aren't so much better as to make a mage worth playing over a necro. Maybe if you have the epic pet but there's been like 898927349823 expansions since epic quests were a thing so my info is more than likely outdated.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think that level 53 pet is the Rogue. The 49 one is a Warrior so that's still best for tanking. But the Rogue can do really good backstab damage. Send it on stuff that's feared or someone else is tanking and that pet is really good. Mage pets are like 50% stronger than Necros, they get a pet heal that is pretty strong too. It's a lot easier for general use.. But they don't get Fear so they can't do fear kiting which lets a Necro take down higher level enemies. And Necros can also go in dungeons and do Root/Rotting to take out nameds. Necros also get Feign Death which is uber, and they can Charm undead which can be used for awesomeness if careful. Mages can't do most of that. Beastlord gets a good pet too.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yep anvi. IS a rogue (source : https://strategywiki.org/wiki/EverQuest/Character_classes/Necromancer/Pet ). Hence he can't be used to hold enemy attention while my DoTs kills the enemy. The strategy of using fear + any slow spell is great however, feared enemies tends to draw attention of other enemies. I can't beat an horde of "yellow" enemies. And enemies tends to resist fear and my fear based spells only works up to lv 52 mobs.

Seems like I will only get another warrior pet at lv 59. The next one will be a monk. But I"m relative close to be able to create an specter!!

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IS this AA necromancer guide good?

https://www.necrotalk.com/forum/the...er?s=e7333e53d924519bfa1c310743ab3392&t=11310

I'm leveling AA now that I finally got Emissary of Thule. TBH the fact that enemies resist my spells too often and my awful extremely low level pets made leveling till 59 a chore. I played this weekend as a nonlifer. I think that I will stop playing for few days now. Now my pets are more effective And I've heard that at lv 61, you get a lv 60 pet. From 47 to 60... I'm with 70% xp converted into AA since I wanna get more AA soon as possible now that I have a great pet. Leveling from 1 to 45 was much easier than 45 to 59. And now that I have good pets and a better area to farm, leveling up is easier again.

8o19i6N.png

a4zQz3u.png

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I played on The Combine when they first announced the whole progressive server thing and these new progressive servers seem to have a lot of weird rules the OG ones didn't.

Dr1f7

Scholar
o shit a grim reaper?
is necromancy pretty good in this game? can u have a lot of skellies
or is guild wars 1 better for that

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It's more tactical, you use 1 pet most of the time and you have to heal it and give it gear and buffs and stuff. You get some skelly swarms later on but they aren't powerful. The Dire Charm ability is powerful and they get to reanimate dead things for a while too.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
is necromancy pretty good in this game? can u have a lot of skellies

Sadly no. The game was launched in 1999, so having multiple pets would be too complicated for the server. There is an AA(Rise of Bones) which allows you to summon 3 skeleton warriors but is a very high level ability, the unique mmo which allow you to have an very large army of undead that I know is Age of Conan. IMO would be cool if you could have a "summon skeleton squad" spell which would create an "squad" of skeletons(visual only), even if mechanic wise and in server side, they are only one mob.

That said, the best pet class is Magician(Conjurer would be a better name IMO), necromancers are a dark wizard focused on damage over time, crowd control, and etc first and a pet master second. Magicians are pet owners first and direct damage dealers/utility second.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I got sucked into P99 almost immediately. Great atmosphere. Tried a few things, will do an Ogre eventually, but I stuck with a vanilla barbarian warrior to ease into the game. Also Barbarian is a race apparently. Okay. Follow the note I was given, get a quest, take the boat out of Halas, go into the first wilderness zone. Die. And die again. Okay, I have to be very careful about the spawns I pick. Hours later, i'm camping outside ice goblin villages and selling their tools. It took a whole day, but i'm ready to hit the gnoll fortress for the second part of the starter quest with the ice wolves faction.

I'm always up for teaming if you are ever that far up north on the map.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I got sucked into P99 almost immediately. Great atmosphere. Tried a few things, will do an Ogre eventually, but I stuck with a vanilla barbarian warrior to ease into the game. Also Barbarian is a race apparently. Okay. Follow the note I was given, get a quest, take the boat out of Halas, go into the first wilderness zone. Die. And die again. Okay, I have to be very careful about the spawns I pick. Hours later, i'm camping outside ice goblin villages and selling their tools. It took a whole day, but i'm ready to hit the gnoll fortress for the second part of the starter quest with the ice wolves faction.

I'd be down to play with you. What server are you on and what's your character name? I'll have to get a copy of the game and try to remember the passwords to all of my accounts before I can play though haha

Poseidon00

Arcane

I'd be down to play with you. What server are you on and what's your character name? I'll have to get a copy of the game and try to remember the passwords to all of my accounts before I can play though haha
I'm on Blue for P99. I just have the one barbarian atm but I wouldn't mind rolling up something else if I knew i'd have partners.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I'm on Blue for P99. I just have the one barbarian atm but I wouldn't mind rolling up something else if I knew i'd have partners.
Let me know what you want to play and I can fill a role to compliment it. I've got the game installed and access to all of my accounts now

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played this briefly last year but got disgusted that once I upgraded to Windows 10 21H2, I lost a full 15-20 FPS (averaging below 45 FPS when I never went under 60 FPS with previous Windows 10 build). Ain't nobody got time for that. Haven't tried it with the latest geforce drivers or my new RTX card though.

I'm playing on p99 blue, but my playtime is pretty sporadic and random. Usually just run around soloing with my iksar monk lately.

That said, if the codex has a guild or what have you on blue, I'd be down to join.

Also, can anyone give me some advice on how exactly to go about getting gear for my level 11 iksar monk? Currently using a greatstaff, 9 dmg, 38 dly. Also have a couple of staffs(staves?) for 1hb training, 5/28. My fists are currently 6/36 at level 11 so worse than my weapons.

I have about 25 plat, and a veritable shitload of spider silks, also 7 stacks of bone chips. But not much trading around lizardtown, sadly. And east commons is a hell of a trip just to do some shopping with very little money.

Even looking at what the merchants are selling, there aren't any great upgrades. I could spend 60 plat or so on a fine steel greatstaff that's 9/36 instead of my current 9/38 but that's just silly.

I poked my head into kurn's tower but the greater skellies are a little too hard for me currently. I'd love to get a berserker club but that seems unlikely, just hoping someone leaves one laying around unlooted lol.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Created a magician in a TLP server, killed an rat and ... Only 5% xp(this is about 35% in live). I was expecting something a bit slower, but not THAT slow. After it, decided to move back to "live" and created a magician. Reached lv 23 in about 5 horus of play. So far, people who said that necro > magicians for soloing/moloing are completely wrong. I literally killed a mob 8 levels above my char. I din't died a single time yet.

Shock of Spikes spell for magician has 75 mana cost(69 with conjuration specialization) and deals 198/227 damage. That is an ABOVE 3 DAMAGE/MANA RATIO in low levels. Among the elemental pets, my water elemental disarmed and naked seems way better than my skeleton fully geared at the same level range. I need to burn way less mana per encounter and can kill things exponentially faster.

IDK about higher levels but so far, I'm liking this class more than necro. TBH I was in doubt between Magician or Necro, but the fact that MAG only has mag/fire damaging spells kinda killed my interest in the class( I can create water from nothing, can conjure water elementals, but why not ice/water based spells?)

Considering how much damage my water elemental does + two casts of shock of spikes per "tik"(6 seconds), that is a bit lower than 600 damage per tik. A NEC needs to combine Venom of the Snake(lv 34 ; 220 damage per tik) + Chilling Embrace(lv 36 ; 114 damage per tik) + dark soul(lv 39 ; 95 damage per tik) + ignite blood( lv 47; 125 damage / tik) to have a similar damage that I have spamming a low 20s level spell.

is it normal to miss half of melee attacks at lv 20 with a good weapon?

Depends the mob, the rest of your gear, your char skill among other things.

Barbarian is a race apparently.

Yep. I have heard that they start in one of the hardest starting areas.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Corbin Dallas Multipass you shouldn't be worried about gear yet as a monk. Especially being on kunark. Wait until you're in your 20s or 30s then farm some stuff to sell at the tunnel and use the plat for gear.

Chance to hit is effected by your weapon skill, level compared to the target, and the target's AC. AC in EQ doesn't reduce damage. It only effects chance to be hit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom