Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Corbin Dallas Multipass you shouldn't be worried about gear yet as a monk. Especially being on kunark. Wait until you're in your 20s or 30s then farm some stuff to sell at the tunnel and use the plat for gear.

Chance to hit is effected by your weapon skill, level compared to the target, and the target's AC. AC in EQ doesn't reduce damage. It only effects chance to be hit.
Hah, it's hard not to be worried about gear seeing all the twinked monks running around. Plus... this is the same weapon I've been using since level 1 or so, you know? But yeah, i doubt I'll see an upgrade any time too soon.

By the time I'm in my 20s or 30s I should have enough plat outright to buy a wu's quivering staff. Or, failing that, a fighting baton at least. Even just 1 baton would be a huge upgrade from what I have now.

I can't believe when I played retail way way back in 99 I ran around punching things with my monk like a fool. Greatstaffs are easy enough to get for 16 plat or so and they're a big upgrade over fists. Nobody really knew what they were doing back then lol.

Anyone else remember when crafting would just eat your items if you tried an invalid recipe? Nobody would dare use an alchemy bag as a backpack back then...

Poseidon00

Arcane
Barbarian is a race apparently.

Yep. I have heard that they start in one of the hardest starting areas.

Oh dude, it was brutal. Then again I was also solo'ing. The only level 1 mobs around spawn pretty rarely and in a zone where they are surrounded by level 3-5's. You have to pick your battles and stay very close to the guards until you hit at least 3. But the difficulty was one of the things that made it great. You're also in the middle of nowhere on the game map.

I started an elf rogue and it was like night and day. So much easier.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Hah, it's hard not to be worried about gear seeing all the twinked monks running around. Plus... this is the same weapon I've been using since level 1 or so, you know? But yeah, i doubt I'll see an upgrade any time too soon.

I went from 1-50 as a monk on p99 without ever once using a weapon. You'll be fine haha

I went from 1-50 as a monk on p99 without ever once using a weapon. You'll be fine haha
Well that was silly, why not use a staff early on? Did you have the monk epic so your fists were ridiculous? But yeah, as melee classes go monk can get away without upgrading weapon better than most. Still not great though, close blues are a dangerous fight for me currently.

Stumbled across a dark elf trying to build cibilis faction on bone chip quest, unloaded all my bone chips, now i have that 100pp...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
is it normal to miss half of melee attacks at lv 20 with a good weapon?
i'm playing on imperium server
JamesDixon has the same thing happened to you when leveling?
Yeah that's normal, low level melees are so puny. Your character's skill for that weapon type takes a long time to build up as well. It gets better. At least Pallys have stuns and heals.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I still don't have the epic on him to this day. I just refused to use weapons because the entire idea of a monk using weapons is retarded to me and kind of defeats what makes a monk cool. This was my character I played at launch so there wasn't much in the way of monk gear until the Kunark expansion anyway. I think Poseidon00 and I are going to be grouping up tomorrow if you want to get a group going Corbin Dallas Multipass . Haven't decided on what I'm going to make yet. I can just fill a role that works with you guys or maybe power level you guys up to where one of my lowbies is. Here's a list of the characters I already have on blue:

Randall - 38 Bard - currently parked in Karnor's Castle in Kunark
Melrik - 46 Rogue
Tokwin - 43 Druid
Filben - 41 Wizard
Karorn - 53 Monk
Zweid - 28 Shaman - currently parked in Warsilks Woods, Kunark.

It's a shame we don't have four people. We could have tank, heals, dps, and cc. Perfect combo right there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The original Monk Epic is a pair of gloves if that helps. It's sad they never managed to consolidate people in this game. There's several of us playing it but mostly on different servers. And half of them are emulators so they aren't even making any money. This game has always been run like shit though, it's crazy.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yeah, it's sad that half of the people in this thread are already playing emulators but don't want to play classic masochist mode with me.

They just don't understand what makes the game great.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Created a magician in a TLP server, killed an rat and ... Only 5% xp(this is about 35% in live). I was expecting something a bit slower, but not THAT slow. After it, decided to move back to "live" and created a magician. Reached lv 23 in about 5 horus of play. So far, people who said that necro > magicians for soloing/moloing are completely wrong. I literally killed a mob 8 levels above my char. I din't died a single time yet.

That version of EQ is goofy. But before you give up on Necro you should look in to using Charm and maybe Dire Charm. Have you looked at videos of Necro tricks?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
They've really fucked up the game since the classic era. No one would have been able to solo a mob 8 levels above them as any class during the first two expansions. Maybe if they kited it for hours back in the days before they made dots do half damage on mobs that are chasing you but even then I don't know how you'd land any spells on a mob 8 levels above you. Also lol @ being disappointed at getting 5% of a level from a kill. In classic you generally wouldn't even see the bar move from a single kill unless you were very low level.

Edit: In fact I remember when they changed the ui to add a blue line over the xp bubbles so that people could in fact see that they were getting XP. The bar was split into 5 yellow bubbles with a blue line crawling across the yellow bubbles. Getting the blue line all the way across one of the yellow bubbles was called a blue bubble and represented 1/5th of a yellow and getting half of a blue bubble from a kill was considered awesome XP

All this was during a normal level. There were also hell levels that took twice as long and gave double XP loss if you died in the level that came after one of the hell levels.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The only level 1 mobs around spawn pretty rarely and in a zone where they are surrounded by level 3-5's. You have to pick your battles and stay very close to the guards until you hit at least 3. But the difficulty was one of the things that made it great. You're also in the middle of nowhere on the game map.

Yep... A very brutal start... Anyway ERYFKRAD , as a Barbarian, what do you think about Barbarians being a RACE in EverQuest? I think that I will gonna make a Barbarian Necromancer. Just kidding, Barbarians can only be Beastlords, Berserkers, Rogues, Shamans and Warriors

But before you give up on Necro you should look in to using Charm and maybe Dire Charm. Have you looked at videos of Necro tricks?

I"m not saying that necro is bad. In fact, is amazing. Not so much as a "DPS", but they are amazing in battlefield control. They can slow enemies, fear enemies, root enemies, feign death to escape lost encounters. They also can drain life from enemies, charm undead among tons of other amazing things. However, I'm loving magician way more cuz I like kill stuff quickly and like having powerful servants.

Also, I've heard that in high levels, you can summon Gargoyles.

No one would have been able to solo a mob 8 levels above them as any class during the first two expansions.

A veteran player buffed me and my pet + my merc a LOT. Without this buffs, I would have failed.

n I don't know how you'd land any spells on a mob 8 levels above yo

After I reached lv 20, the first thing that I did was to train specialization - conjuration to the max.

Anyway, with my necro, my lv 47 Emissary of Thule was landing some "hits" in enemies 10+ levels above him. HE misses a lot but sometimes get hits.

IDK how is in p99. But I believe that a extremely buffed pet can still score hits in higher levels, otherwise, a lv 47 pet would be worthless for a lv 60 nec

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I remember wanting this as a kid but my mom was not gonna have me on the internet all day tying up the phone line or pay a monthly fee. I still remember being a senior in high school and my ambitions were to move out and get my own place with my own computer and internet. How quaint.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyway @ERYFKRAD , as a Barbarian, what do you think about Barbarians being a RACE in EverQuest? I think that I will gonna make a Barbarian Necromancer. Just kidding, Barbarians can only be Beastlords, Berserkers, Rogues, Shamans and Warriors
Works for me

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
latest

And they wear kilts and no shirt even though they live in frozen tundra.

They've really fucked up the game since the classic era. No one would have been able to solo a mob 8 levels above them as any class during the first two expansions. Maybe if they kited it for hours back in the days before they made dots do half damage on mobs that are chasing you but even then I don't know how you'd land any spells on a mob 8 levels above you. Also lol @ being disappointed at getting 5% of a level from a kill. In classic you generally wouldn't even see the bar move from a single kill unless you were very low level.

Edit: In fact I remember when they changed the ui to add a blue line over the xp bubbles so that people could in fact see that they were getting XP. The bar was split into 5 yellow bubbles with a blue line crawling across the yellow bubbles. Getting the blue line all the way across one of the yellow bubbles was called a blue bubble and represented 1/5th of a yellow and getting half of a blue bubble from a kill was considered awesome XP

All this was during a normal level. There were also hell levels that took twice as long and gave double XP loss if you died in the level that came after one of the hell levels.
Lol I know right? Fighting a mob the same level as you after like level 8 is dangerous enough.

I mean, sure, you can level to max in 2 days or whatever... I feel like that's missing the point. Or maybe that's just my own nostalgia, to me that was MMOs, a very long term project you slowly made progress on, and ideally had fun while you were at it. Not like... 40 hours of leveling and then you're maxed out....

How dare people have fun in ways different from the ways in which I have fun!

But in seriousness, that brutality of the old school EQ was what pushed people to make communities and groups. It was the players vs the harsh uncaring world. I'm not saying it was perfect, I don't even hate mercs in modern EQ, it's nice to be able to play a warrior solo, but the loss of more gradual progression and the way they just throw great equipment at you really cheapens the experience to me.

Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah that's normal, low level melees are so puny. Your character's skill for that weapon type takes a long time to build up as well. It gets better. At least Pallys have stuns and heals.
melee weren't that good to begin with tbh
ranger is gud, but it's also not pure melee. Also the best tank until raid mechanics requiring warrior defensive abilities are introduced in ...velious? I think? Decent damage output with insane threat generation. Still remains great during and after velious, just can't tank the things that require the CDs.
monk is really good, but it's more of an exception.

beastlord was awesome but that's not until luclin

Alphard

Arcane
The eye of the storm at the end of the world
ranger is gud, but it's also not pure melee. Also the best tank until raid mechanics requiring warrior defensive abilities are introduced in ...velious? I think? Decent damage output with insane threat generation. Still remains great during and after velious, just can't tank the things that require the CDs.

i'm leveling q shadow knight. how is that in tanking late game?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah it depends on the era. Shadowknights are fun to play, you're a big badass tank with plate armor yet you can use lifetap spells and boil blood, fear, dooming darkness, feign death, etc. And you get a skelly pet. They have a spell called Shadow Vortex which steals some AC from the enemy and gives it to you. It's only a small amount but it makes them really hate you. So it's really easy to grab aggro with that and other spells. So in Classic they were all great tanks, Warriors with pure mitigation, SKs took more damage but then lifetapped it back, Paladins the same but could heal themselves and stun the enemy. All pretty balanced.

Then for some reason they decided that Warriors should be the main tank for raids. They got a bunch of defensive stances and stuff which made them 'the' tank for raiding. It's like that through most of the first several expansions (so all of Emulator era). But sometime after that they balanced it out again and in Live the 3 tanks are now all capable of being the main tank for anything.

From what I've read, shadow knights are good at generating hate with their various spells. But they don't get the special damage reduction stuff warriors do, so they aren't as good in raids.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
lol@ Rusty calling rangers good. I have no idea what era they were good in, but it definitely wasn't duing the first two expansions. In classic rangers are a meme class that everyone jokes about. Basically worthless. Probably the worst class in the game. Can't tank, isn't particularly good at dps, way too good at hate generation considering they can't tank, and doesn't even get spirit of the wolf until a pretty high level.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
lol@ Rusty calling rangers good. I have no idea what era they were good in, but it definitely wasn't doing the first two expansions. In classic rangers are a meme class that everyone jokes about. Basically worthless. Probably the worst class in the game.
you're obsessed with me
is it because I insulted your idol who killed himself so he didn't get anally raped by an asiatic horde for a week straight?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
lol@ Rusty calling rangers good. I have no idea what era they were good in, but it definitely wasn't doing the first two expansions. In classic rangers are a meme class that everyone jokes about. Basically worthless. Probably the worst class in the game.
you're obsessed with me
is it because I insulted your idol who killed himself so he didn't get anally raped by an asiatic horde for a week straight?
I'm obsessed with you? Where is this coming from? I think I've replied to two things you've written in the past week and maybe replied to something you've written like fives times in the entire two and a half years I've been here? I have no idea what you're going on about or why you're bringing up a completely unrelated conversation from days ago. Are you going schizo on me?

Codex Year of the Donut
you're obsessed with me
I'm obsessed with you? Where is this coming from? I think I've replied to two things you've written in the past week and maybe replied to something you've written like fives times in the entire two and a half years I've been here? I have no idea what you're going on about or why you're bringing up a completely unrelated conversation from days ago. Are you going schizo on me?
"n-n-n-no I'm not obsessed! I just keep replying to you everytime I see you since you shit on my manlet love!"
ok bro

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
But in seriousness, that brutality of the old school EQ was what pushed people to make communities and groups. It was the players vs the harsh uncaring world. I'm not saying it was perfect, I don't even hate mercs in modern EQ, it's nice to be able to play a warrior solo, but the loss of more gradual progression and the way they just throw great equipment at you really cheapens the experience to me.

After my sub ends, I will TEST p99

Anyway, here is I moloing an lv 45 mob at lv 38. 7 Levels above me

DKzvlYy.png

IDK, but I have heard that shadow knights are the easiest hybrid/tank to level up. Is this truth?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom