Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

Mortmal

Arcane
It's the rose tinted glasses of nostalgy

Not truth. I only started to play eq as an adult. I also tested shadowbane only this year.

Both Seems to have the basic rpg elements, but I loked eq way more and i have mentioned problems with eq, like stat stickye itemization and low lethality combat + long down times.

was the first 3D MOO

Wrong. Was meridian 59.
Meridian 59, thats completely different gameplay and much less feature .

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is relative. The Mage Epic is a super strong pet, but it was only strong relative to that era. So when max level is 60 and there are not many OP items or mobs, the Epic pet was super strong. You can kill half a dungeon of dark blue cons in no time. But when the game goes beyond level 70+ then the epic pet becomes obsolete because you can buy better higher level pets from the spell vendor.

A lot of the Epic quest items became obsolete, some are still worth having. But in some 'eras' of the game there's upgraded epic 2.0 which is badass. In p99 the max level is 60 so the epic pet stays the best. In Live you go for the 2.0 epic and you get better higher level pets.

Also Mages at about 50+ get spells called Monster Summoning which summons a pet that's a random mob from the zone you are in. Beastlord pets are really strong too, maybe even better than the Mage. (Best pet is a charmed pet though, or dire charmed).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem of charmed pets is that they can break free. But yes, when I say stronger, I"m saying relative to the game's level. After lv 60 TBH I'm not liking much in live cuz mobs takes too long to die. IDK if is cuz I"m lv 60 and don't have ""updated"" spells and only have about 100 AAs but a lv 55 snake mob takes about 28~35% hp damage with my Shock of Fiery Blades. A lv 61 snake takes about 5%.

My fear is that this game will have something akin to "Oblivion effect" present in 5E and many other games, where the game at high levels become a drag due your damage growing at snail pace compared to hp gain from mobs. If this happens, I"m switching to p99.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm working with a friend of mine to have a private server created with me as the GM. I decided to do up to OoW while allowing multi-boxing using PEQ's approved MQ2+E3. When it goes live and you're interested just let me know.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
but a lv 55 snake

The eternal curse of MMOs. No snake should be level 55 lmao

Agreed. Unless we are talking about a ancient Basilisk. But so far if the game has the problem with "oblivion effect" and high level is a chore of many minute fights for every trash mob, I will try p99 before my sub running out. Seems like P99 has legal permission. IS this truth? "Relive the Classic Everquest Experience as it was from 1999 to 2001. Project 1999 is a free to play Classic Everquest Server, unaffiliated with Daybreak Game Company but operating under legal permission" https://www.project1999.com/

So, does high level in live EQ becomes a chore of extremely hard hitting nuked taking a tiny fraction of enemy hp?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway, trying to play p99 cuz honestly at lv 61 the extremely long time to kill made playing "retail" too boring and I wanna test it.

I'm with this error :

ahJb2zj.png

Also, should I go blue or green??

Ninjerk

Arcane
Cryomancer green is the newer one and the only one I've played on. I think it's generally the one recommended for newer players (or was when I last played it) so that they have someone to run groups with.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks. Playing in M$ windows till it is fixed. Also, I tested a bit in life the TTK with magician and necro and necro seems overall at least on lv 60 with similar AA superior.

For eg, in p99, comparing summons on low/mid/high level :

The lv 4 Leering Corpse summons a skeleton with 70-90 hp / 8-12 damage The most basic magic pet has 85-95 hp / 8-12 damage. A mid level
At lv 24, Haunting Corpse summons a warrior with 650-700 hp / 18-26 damage. MAgician tankiest pet, Summoning: Earth has 650-820 hp and 18-26 damage
The strongest summoning spell, Emissary of Thule has 2700 hp / 52-61 damage. Greater Vocaration: Water from mag creates an 2300-2500 hp / 60-68 damage.

So, in other words, magicians are just a BIT better in pets. IS not 50% as some people have said.

NOw, looking into damage

The strongest magician spell is Seeking Flame of Seukor which deals 1024 base damage, the necromancer most efficient lifetap, Gangrenous Touch of Zum'uul deals 720 hp. However, casts one second faster and has -150 to resist. And at low levels, necros lifetap spells even do more damage. Burst of Flame max dmg = 5 and min = 3. Lifetap drains the same amount...

In other words, in TTK they are extremely similar. So I decided to go necro in green. I will still play life but will since enemies takes an eternity to die, will be while I'm doing other stuff and just pressing buttons. Like throw dots in a enemy, throw my pet and watch anime,

About p99, only played very little and so far at least the icons seems better good looking. I was thinking that mag could be a summoner of "magical weapons", using spells like shock of steel but seems like you play mostly as a pyromancer and I don't find it fun...

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Everquest really makes you work for your gear. I still havent found anything worth using. Then again ive mostly just been grinding for lack of knowledge about where to get decent quests.

I'm going to grind faction rep for my human cleric of Inoruuk to be able to enter the troll and ogre cities. Is this pointless for my character? Yes. Does it make RP sense to me? Yes and so I will enjoy doing it. If I am on a team and one person turns in a quest that boosts rep does the entire team get it?

I will eventually have to do the dark elves or get some form of faction disguise if I am to do the symbol of Inoruuk quests. They *really* dont do you any favors as an evil human. I want to minimal knowledge this game for the most part but I did do a bit of digging into whether or not cleric-specific quests existed and I found out about that item and questline.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That error is because you need the P99 files. Some of the Emu servers require that you download at least 2 files. Their forum should have a guide.

60+ does become really slow on Live, and it's sad that you gotta do it mostly alone. The mercenary is no substitute for a full group of real people. They are more powerful and a lot more fun to play with. Also people became obsessed with raid gear so there is leap in what the game expects from your gear. Also the AAs make a huge difference but they take time. You get 100 and think it's nice but you really need thousands to make a big impact. There are also lots of long quests at that point, like the Epic and the OOW trials and stuff. The game was designed for guilds full of people so it can suck to play it solo.

You'll probably like p99 a lot more, but you eventually reach max level and then run out of stuff to do. Live becomes a slog but there is a lot of stuff to do. I like the part in the middle, the GoD/LDON/OOW sort of era that most Emu servers have. It gives way more content than P99 but doesn't have all the filler that Live has. A lot of those servers require multiboxing though which is not everyone's idea of fun. I loooove it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I putted the p99 files in linux, did the same thing in M$ windows and worked.

As for the game slowing down past lv 60, IDK why so many devs loves to do that. Making enemies hp grow up multiple times more than the damage numbers. I believe that most newer players stops playing around this level. IF most private servers are lv 1~60 is because is more fun to play in this level range. Honestly I wish that the devs kept making content like this, but sadly every long running mmo has a problem with power creep. Snakes capable of surviving dozens of ice comets is kinda silly. At least as an necro I can just throw DoTs and watch anime while my pets mole the snake for one minute(about the time that requires to kill a mob), pause, do the same and so on.

As for AAs, I have like 140 in my mage and can see a huge impact. Like healing 3300 hp from my pet can save my life.

Magitex

Educated
As for the game slowing down past lv 60, IDK why so many devs loves to do that.
It's the only way of slowing player progress down, otherwise players hit endgame and start screeching the game has no content because they can't advance any further.

I'd love to play Everquest again myself, maybe using a six man bot party.. but the interface is a hard sell now though. I frequently play older games but something about Everquest makes it difficult to approach.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's the only way of slowing player progress down, otherwise players hit endgame and start screeching the game has no content because they can't advance any further.

NO, is not. Making harder enemies with nastier abilities and slowing xp gain down could archive the same.

BTW, in p99 I'm walking the entire freeport and can only find alcoholic stuff to drink and no food. Already took an eternity for me to find the necro spell seller... NOw I'm walking in circles for hours trying to find food/water.... And the bank...

edit : found. Was very hard...

Last edited:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I putted the p99 files in linux, did the same thing in M$ windows and worked.

As for the game slowing down past lv 60, IDK why so many devs loves to do that. Making enemies hp grow up multiple times more than the damage numbers. I believe that most newer players stops playing around this level. IF most private servers are lv 1~60 is because is more fun to play in this level range. Honestly I wish that the devs kept making content like this, but sadly every long running mmo has a problem with power creep. Snakes capable of surviving dozens of ice comets is kinda silly. At least as an necro I can just throw DoTs and watch anime while my pets mole the snake for one minute(about the time that requires to kill a mob), pause, do the same and so on.

As for AAs, I have like 140 in my mage and can see a huge impact. Like healing 3300 hp from my pet can save my life.

Jesus you're whining about progression post 60. When I played in 2001-2003 you had the hell levels where at 30, 35, 40, 45, 51, 52, 53, 54 (double hell), 55, 56, 57, 58, and 59 (double hell) you needed double the experience points just to level. Where it says double hell is where it required 4 times the experience.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Jesus you're whining about progression post 60. When I played in 2001-2003 you had the hell levels where at 30, 35, 40, 45, 51, 52, 53, 54 (double hell), 55, 56, 57, 58, and 59 (double hell) you needed double the experience points just to level. Where it says double hell is where it required 4 times the experience.

NO, the problem is not slow progression because in life EQ was faster to go from lv 60 to 61 than in p99 was to go from lv 3 to 4(I'm not joking). I'm complaining about the fact that a freaking desert snake has enough hp to survive like 20 ice comets from an archwizard. They could slow down the xp gain, that is not the problem. The problem is that enemies takes too much time to die.

Supermedo

Augur
Okay, I'm interested, as 30 something-year-old man who doesn't have friends who play video games; How soloable is the game?

Poseidon00

Arcane
Okay, I'm interested, as 30 something-year-old man who doesn't have friends who play video games; How soloable is the game?

On Live servers, it's easier because you can use psuedo-npcs in the form of mercs. PEQ lets you have multiple actual characters being used at once, and that is the easiest.

But in the best version of the game, P99, solo'ing is doable but challenging. Some classes can barely do it at all. Some will do just fine.

But even in P99, skilled solo'ers have destroyed bosses and mobs they should have no business trying to battle on their own.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

NO, the problem is not slow progression because in life EQ was faster to go from lv 60 to 61 than in p99 was to go from lv 3 to 4(I'm not joking). I'm complaining about the fact that a freaking desert snake has enough hp to survive like 20 ice comets from an archwizard. They could slow down the xp gain, that is not the problem. The problem is that enemies takes too much time to die.

It is soloable, it's just much harder. The game was never designed for this, they were determined to make the game for groups of 6 people and large guilds of people. So when people are complaining about how long it takes to kill things and get levels and stuff, that's because it's supposed to be a group game. If you play on Live (the official servers) they give you a AI Mercenary. But it's so weak compared to a real group. With a real group, especially if they have raid gear, the tank or bard pulls 50 enemies at once, brings to the group, and they blast everything to death in 10 seconds. And you make a huge chunk of XP because you killed 50 at once.

So soloers talk about how long it takes to get a level or an AA. But with badass group pulls you can get several AAs in one pull.

There are (Emulator) servers that fix this though. They let you have a whole group or raid that's automated, or they boost the power of the players relative to the enemies. I don't like changing the balance because it seems like cheat codes to me, but I LOVE playing a legit version of the game but with my own automated team. So I can do the 50 mob pulls and stuff like a full group, but I control the whole group. That's how I like to play. But playing a single character with real people in a real group is awesome too, but you gotta build a character on a server with cool people and then spend a lot of time on it.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How soloable is the game?

Depends. Necromancers / Magicians are extremely soloable, now rogues are incredible hard to solo. But is not hard to find people to buff you. Among melee classes, I believe that the best to solo is Monk.

-----------------------------------

Anyway, today I was trying to reach lv 6 and OMG. Getting to lv 6 in p99 is harder than lv 62 in live. I've been killed like 4 times by rinna lightshadow and din't even saw her. And after almost going back to lv 4, decided to switch to Northern Desert of Ro and now things are a bit less awful. Already took many hours for me to merely find the necromancers guild yesterday... p99 is insanely brutal compared to live eq.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't understand why people like boxing. It's just way too much work and sucks the fun out of the game. You might as well play a single player game at that point.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I don't understand why people like boxing. It's just way too much work and sucks the fun out of the game. You might as well play a single player game at that point.

If you can't get a group you are still playing a single player game as a solo. You really didn't think that one through did you? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom