Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am not super deep in this game yet, having purchased it a few days ago, but my first impression is better than Vikings, worse than Conquistador.

I value highly that they cut out a lot of time wasting bullshit. The maps are no longer littered with ressources staches of questionable usefullness as if they were Skyrim tombs. Instead you usually only find treasure on battlefields after you have won a fight, stashed in a few sensible chests.
The managment mechanics were also changed to be much less obnoxious, the camping minigame was fun and challenging in Expeditions, but a waste of time in Vikings, once you have figured out how to have a party that has multiple doctors and still enough hunters, trappers and watchmen to get the full benefits then micromanaging the watches became annoying.

However this positive streamlining is also accompanied by retarded streamlining. Attributes are gone, completely and entirely. And while I fundamentally like class systems more than classless systems, the 4 class system in this game has considerably less depth than the open system of Vikings. Itemisation has become more interesting, but to the detriment of the skill tree as you gain good abilities now by equiping a stronger weapon, and most benefits from the skill tree are minor until you reach the deep late game perks. Character building is more uninteresting than it has ever been.

Combat has been sidegraded. Expeditions has always been a fairly realistic combat system. Killing someone in a single strike was possible, but difficult, and at most you could kill 2 enemies with a single move. Many attacks glance or get parried, although if you get through the defense people don't have terribly high health. It was all very simulationists, not terribly deep or exciting, and fitted well with the autistic wound system for immersion.
Here the combat system is faster, flashier, with more room for skill based outplays, but also very arcady with no room for immersion. Yes, my sword and dagger assassin can murder 5 people in a single turn even before the broken perks at the end of the skilltree just by abusing the action reset on killing grunts, my archer can shoot three arrows per turn and still enter overwatch afterwards, yes the difficulty on insane leads to very interesting maps which offer a good mental challenge without too much frustration, but at the end of the day the system keeps you hyperaware that you are playing a videogame at all times, much to the detriment of atmosphere.

As for companions and characters, on average they are the same quality, but most of the women are really unlikeable, mostly due to their schizophrenic attitude of going with "this is a realistic world where there is sexism but we still have girlbosses disguised as men". The storytelling is more character driven than vikings even, which is also unfortunate because while I like half of my characters a lot I want to kill the other half, and the game does not let me because it loves its special snowflakes too much.

From my first impression it is a two steps ahead, two steps back kind of situation. The game didn't necessarily become better or worse than its predecessor, but it shifted the appeal around a lot, so some people like it more, some like it less.
I personally dig it more than Vikings, after all I did not dig Vikingd at first at all, and refunded the game, only to complete it MUCH later. But Vikings was backloaded and some of the penultimate maps in the game also had the most interesting quests, while this game appears to be frontloaded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nah the game is decline compared to vikings. I replayed vikings twice and enjoyed it,same with the spanish one. This one i couldn't even finish the first act. LoL wave spamming endless enemies.........an incline and polished experience........ buahahahaha.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/987840/view/3265693503333929429
The Controller Patch Version 1.5
Updates

● Updated our gamepad support to be game-wide and implemented various improvements for a better user experience when playing with gamepad.
● Updated our code to be compatible with Steam Deck.
● Updated the Loading Screen tips to remove some that are no longer valid
● When a Centurion dies during a Legion Battle, their equipment will be added to the player’s inventory.
● Tweaked the Accipe Hoc achievement to be a little easier to achieve.

Bug Fixes

● Updated Localizations to fix some text issues
● Fixed an issue where the Outpost Menu button was available at times where it was not meant to.
● Fixed a bug in Cliff Ruins where the "hands bound" effect was being applied if you loaded a save after you had released the VIP
● Fixed a potential blocker where if you entered an encounter with only hired praetorians and the controlled character died (with character death on); you would get blocked as the "controlled dead" character couldn't move.
● Fixed an issue with Mark Target applying the incorrect damage amount under certain situations.
● Fixed some crafting material discrepancies with the new gladiator equipment (helmet, armor, and scissor) as well as Marcellus' helmet.
● Fixed an issue with the Tier 3 Gladiator Trident having different affixes from the Tier 2 if recrafted.
● Fixed the Traitor’s Mail needing medium armor rings despite being light armor.
● Fixed the Hunting Traps using incorrect materials.
● Fixed a bug where the affixes on Scissors could not be modified.
● Fixed an issue on the Golden Wolf side quest where the player is unable to progress when loading the auto save that occurs after the encounter.
● Fixed an issue with the archers going idle in the 2nd encounter of the African Arena.
● Fixed an issue with the Hunting Traps not being able to be placed in some areas.
● Fixed an issue with the ESC button not working on the Armory UI under certain situations.
● Fixed an issue with incapacitated characters sometimes playing their one-liner voice overs.
● Fixed an issue with not being able to loot a treasure crate near Siwa Oasis in Africa.
● Fixed an issue with the codex UI during Legion Battles that would cause tooltips to appear incorrectly.
● Fixed an issue that could cause 2 characters to occupy the same hex.
● Fixed an issue with some floating arrows in the Gaul Arena.
● Fixed an issue with the takedown animations when using the Lance of Olyndicus.
● Fixed an issue with the game incorrectly producing a game over scenario under certain situations when losing a Legion Battle.
● Fixed an issue with the Boar Talisman not preventing issues in certain situations.
● Fixed an issue with not being able to assign Party Members with the Self-Treatment Perk to the Dispensary under certain situations.
● Fixed an issue with the Quest Marker not following the Legio Victrix in Gaul under certain situations.
● Fixed an issue with Triage treatment not properly canceling when the character receiving treatment is sent on assignment.
● Fixed an issue with enemies not acting correctly when loading the autosave created during the 4th encounter of the Arena in Gaul.
● Fixed an issue with movement points being lost when revealing a hidden enemy in the Arena in Greece.
● Fixed an issue with the Barracks building in the Outpost going missing after an upgrade/unlock of a building.
● Fixed an issue with the Distracting Blow Weapon Skill failing to prevent Lions from performing Attacks of Opportunity.
● Fixed a bug where the Gladiator Trident would not correctly add all stats.
● Fixed a broken ladder in the Quarry instance.
● Fixed an issue with the Armor of Vulcan using the wrong crafting materials.
● Fixed an issue with the wrong Party Member gaining approval when romancing Julia.
● Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes hang when backing out of the Character Creation UI.
● Fixed an Issue with the Mirage Warriors encounter with fleeing enemies that could possibly cause a blocker. This should also extend to other encounters with similar fleeing mechanics.
● Fixed a bug where POI Icons and Pawn Icons didn't correctly hide when toggling the User Interface off.
● Fixed an issue with the “Danger Pins” not appearing under certain situations.
● Fixed a bug where Thumb Button 1 and Thumb Button 2 were using the same string when binding mouse buttons.
● Fixed an issue in the Roman Fort Pacification Quest that would prevent the optional objective from being completed.
● Fixed an issue where you could spend free recharges on tacticals that were free to recharge (i.e. water jugs).
● Fixed the exit door in Pompeius’ Villa missing its highlight.
● Fixed an issue with some character slots on the Follower Selection UI for sieges being marked as required when they are not.
● Fixed an issue with the “Compare” option appearing on item tooltips in the inventory when an item cannot be equipped.
● Fixed an issue with Legio Victrix possibly getting stuck in the Nikomedeia sector on the Greece World Map.
● Fixed an issue with the A.I. participants becoming unresponsive during the Memphis fight when selecting specific dialog options.
● Fixed an issue with the movement points on an enemy's Tooltip not updating correctly when the enemy became “Stuck”.
● Fixed an issue preventing the Family Reunion side-quest after completing the Discuss the assault of Alexandria objective.
● Fixed an issue where blood splatters would spawn on loading into a level when Praetorians would die with Combat Death turned on.
● Fixed an issue with the takedown animations of Lysandros with Spears and Swords.
● Fixed an issue with Archelaus sometimes being in the tent belonging to Egnatius Naso.
● Fixed an issue with the incorrect mouse cursor being displayed in some areas.
● Fixed an issue where the Assessed status effect would not appear in enemy tool tips if it was applied via a critical hit.
● Fixed a bug where it displayed that poison was "removed" and "added" whenever running into a new poison cloud tile. Now it simply says "poisoned" and refreshes the turn count.
● Fixed an issue with Level 3 legion cards not applying the correct stats during legion battles.
● Fixed an issue with some unintentional geometry being present in the Elm Forest instance.
● Fixed an issue with injury tooltips not displaying under certain situations in the Dispensary.

Balance

● Balance updates for the 4th encounter of the Arena in Africa:
○ Increased player starting approval to +20
○ Decreased the negative approval modifier from moving 1 hex, down from 2.
○ Removed a bonfire that enemies would pick up from on round 1
○ Disabled enemies from picking up Pilums
● Improvised Armor now has a 2 turn duration.
● Secutor Gladiator Ability - each heavy armor or helmet now also provides 7 Retaliation chance.
● Added a difficulty layer to the "Army Specializations" randomization. Simply put, it just reduces the range of the randomization on lower difficulties when rolling the "enemy phase card choice" specializations. This gives players the option to more easily make that part of the game take up less effort.

○ On easy, the randomized range is lowered by 2
○ On medium/hard, the randomized range is lowered by 1
○ On insane, the randomized range is unaffected.

As an example; a Nasamones Defending 1 army rolls between 2 and 5 negative specializations each phase on Insane. After this change, that range is between 1 and 4 on medium/hard, and between 1 and 3 on easy. The values are clamped.

Twitch Extension

● Added so disarming a lion refunds your transaction

cbcb0177cdfca51399d45bf75a7b3189385e5a9f.png

Cadmus

Arcane
Guys I finished this game, it was OK. The combat was almost great. Anybody can recommend me something with a similar TB combat?
Finished all the previous Expeditions.
Maybe some XCOM-like? Or even better, some game with more standard AP combat?

SniperHF

Arcane
Guys I finished this game, it was OK. The combat was almost great. Anybody can recommend me something with a similar TB combat?
Blackguards maybe.

Codex Year of the Donut
King Arthur: Knight's Tale is one of the better releases this year.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Colony Ship.

Battle Brothers.

Wartales?

Cadmus

Arcane
Agreed, finished that one before Rome. I think it was more fun.

Colony Ship.

Battle Brothers.

Wartales?

Thanks but BB I played to death and CS I will wait for the final release, I dont even read anything about it not to get it spoiled.
Ive never heard of Wartales but it looks really interesting, gonna check it out.

Codex Year of the Donut
Agreed, finished that one before Rome. I think it was more fun.

Colony Ship.

Battle Brothers.

Wartales?

Thanks but BB I played to death and CS I will wait for the final release, I dont even read anything about it not to get it spoiled.
Ive never heard of Wartales but it looks really interesting, gonna check it out.
Have you played Naheulbeuk? They released their final dlc recently.

Cadmus

Arcane
Just started reading Grunker's review but I find the parody premise and the visuals off-putting. Maybe I will try it but Wartales looks more interesting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Urtuk, inspirations by BB and Darkest Dungeon. Not a masterpiece like those two but a very solid fun.

Blackguards 1 is great, B2 is garbage.

King Arthur is def. recommended.

I remember playing the Stoneshard demo ages ago and having a blast. No idea where the game is at currently tho, plus it's still not fully out.

Tried For the King about a year ago, I hated the art and gameplay felt meh but your mileage can vary.

For a different kind of a tactical RPG fun, I can't recommend King's Bounty high enough, if you haven't tried yet. The first two ones primarily (Legend and Armored Princess). Oh and the Disciples III rework is p. solid either, transformed the terrible vanilla into a fun tacRPG experience.

Cadmus

Arcane
Urtuk, inspirations by BB and Darkest Dungeon. Not a masterpiece like those two but a very solid fun.

Blackguards 1 is great, B2 is garbage.

King Arthur is def. recommended.

I remember playing the Stoneshard demo ages ago and having a blast. No idea where the game is at currently tho, plus it's still not fully out.

Tried For the King about a year ago, I hated the art and gameplay felt meh but your mileage can vary.

For a different kind of a tactical RPG fun, I can't recommend King's Bounty high enough, if you haven't tried yet. The first two ones primarily (Legend and Armored Princess). Oh and the Disciples III rework is p. solid either, transformed the terrible vanilla into a fun tacRPG experience.
Thanks for the recommends. I played all of these except for For the King, Stoneshard, Urtuk.
Shit, this makes me think I spend too much time on this hobby.

Mauman

Learned
Just started reading Grunker's review but I find the parody premise and the visuals off-putting. Maybe I will try it but Wartales looks more interesting.
Despite being set in a parody setting (which evidently is quite famous in France), it's STILL one of the better tactical rpgs to come out in the past 5 years.

Aarwolf

Learned

For starters, play King Arthur: Knight's Tale, you won't be disappointed.
Next, try Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - even if you don't like parodies, the combat is very good, and encounters are fun on lower difficulties, and shine on higher. There are two story DLC's too and one arena type, similiar to Rome's DLC.

If you like roman setting, I would recommend you trying Vagrus - The Riven Realms (you can download demo if you want to try it), in which roman themes are mixed with postapo thingies. And of course there is Age of Decadence, but if you're man of taste and certain amount of prestige you played it already.

Of course you can also try previous Expeditions games: Viking and Conquistador - Viking is my favourite, but both have their merits.

Cadmus

Arcane

For starters, play King Arthur: Knight's Tale, you won't be disappointed.
Next, try Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - even if you don't like parodies, the combat is very good, and encounters are fun on lower difficulties, and shine on higher. There are two story DLC's too and one arena type, similiar to Rome's DLC.

If you like roman setting, I would recommend you trying Vagrus - The Riven Realms (you can download demo if you want to try it), in which roman themes are mixed with postapo thingies. And of course there is Age of Decadence, but if you're man of taste and certain amount of prestige you played it already.

Of course you can also try previous Expeditions games: Viking and Conquistador - Viking is my favourite, but both have their merits.
Thanks, already played King Arthur, AoD and all the Expeditions games (as Im indeed a man of taste). Gonna check out Vagrus and Naheulbeuk.

V_K

Arcane
Voidspire series (Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics, Horizon's Gate). Don't let the NES-style graphics fool you, they aren't JRPGs - both exploration/plot and character creation/customization are completely open-ended and they have (far) fewer cutscenes than even most Western games these days.
Each of the title has its own flavor - Voidspire is a classical RPG, Alvora merges roguelike with squad management, Horizon's Gate has a naval strategy element.

Cadmus

Arcane
Voidspire series (Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics, Horizon's Gate). Don't let the NES-style graphics fool you, they aren't JRPGs - both exploration/plot and character creation/customization are completely open-ended and they have (far) fewer cutscenes than even most Western games these days.
Each of the title has its own flavor - Voidspire is a classical RPG, Alvora merges roguelike with squad management, Horizon's Gate has a naval strategy element.
Thanks but they look horrible.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Realms of Arkania HD

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is ugly to the point of being unplayable. I can't be even be bothered getting through the first battle; everyone and everything looks so washed out, the 3d engine is awful, and how did we not see the trireme approaching until it literally rammed us? How does this game manage to suck so badly? Uninstalled, perhaps I'll come back a few years down the road.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing it lately.
Despite my attempts to like it in fond memories of Conquistador and Vikings, I just cannot.

The game provides a number of story companions, but you can't use them whenever you want.
The full sized A-team is only available for side quests and random encounters of all things.
For region pacification missions you can only use 1 story companion and a bunch of Red Shirts.
Why only 1? No idea, the rest are busy tweedling their thumbs probably.

Legion battles rivals Crusades in WotR for "cutting this feature would make the game better" award.
Legion management is a chore.
Juggling gear for characters who spent most of their time benched is not much of a fun.
And I have no idea what the fuck Hexstus does, if I have to set a character to forging duty anyway.

I could overlook all that crap if the tactical battles were good.
But they are not.
The completely retarded "goal achievement" approach ruins the whole thing.
No matter how dire you situation might be, you win the moment you complete mission objective.

I remember my early battle to burn enemy ship-wood supplies.
Half the team is on their last legs, Aquilinus (the only A-team member) is down and bleeding out, and Greeks just got a bunch of reinforcement.
What should I do?
Simple, just throw a torch into the last stockpile - there, the battle is won.

It gets even more sad, when the mission is to kill an enemy commander.
With the "Marathon" skill (unlimited move until first stop) a Veles can run throught the whole map and kill the target on the very first turn.

I'm only half-way through Egypt, and I completely lost interest to go on.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, some of the choices are really weird. Not having to fight your way out after completing mission objective is especially bizarre.

I don't mind legion management but hope the game will do a bit more with it (I'm still in Asia Minor). So far the battles against Mithridates were laughingly easy.

Cadmus

Arcane
Yes, some of the choices are really weird. Not having to fight your way out after completing mission objective is especially bizarre.

I don't mind legion management but hope the game will do a bit more with it (I'm still in Asia Minor). So far the battles against Mithridates were laughingly easy.
The legion battles will never be any better or more impactful. Recommend clicking through them.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The legion battles will never be any better or more impactful. Recommend clicking through them.
There seems to be not much else I can do about them, different strategems bringing marginally different outcomes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom