Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
SvhRHlF.png
Sorry, can someone explain me what is this about? I'm honestly not getting the reference/problem

Ok so, from all your reactions I deduce that you're as much idiots that you cannot express yourselves with words.

I should've known it.
Codex gonna Codex. Please be patient and understanding.
true roman.png

>Hello, fellow RPGers. I don't see the problem with this. Care to explain? You don't? Guess you must be stupid like I thought! Ha!

Litmanen

Educated
Sorry, can someone explain me what is this about? I'm honestly not getting the reference/problem

Ok so, from all your reactions I deduce that you're as much idiots that you cannot express yourselves with words.

I should've known it.
Codex gonna Codex. Please be patient and understanding.
View attachment 49661

>Hello, fellow RPGers. I don't see the problem with this. Care to explain? You don't? Guess you must be stupid like I thought! Ha!
Damn, you reach every single day a new peak of stupidity.

It must be a very hard life being so stupid and looking for "enemies" every single day.

I would like to measure your penis to make some statistical deduction.

Alphons

Cipher
Finished my playthrough- around 43 hours.

Combat stayed pretty fun until almost the end of Gaullia. The part of the final siege with the dam was so bloated with enemies and friendlies that my 2 turns took almost 25 minutes. No idea how much it'd take if I didn't have 3 guys with unlimited movement and greek fire.

I liked the story and it's more focused than in earlier Expeditions, but it feels very on rails with 1 choice per act changing something major (choosing between galley and cave in 1, killing Cleopatra or old Berber in 2, sacrificing eye or companion in 3 and crossing Rubicon in 4) and a very tight string of main missions you need to pass without room for failure.
Most smaller choices were also pretty mid when compared to previous entries with just choosing to spare/ kill a few characters.
A few times I felt like I lacked a diplomatic option (did I really need to murder lion hunters/ start riots in Memphis/ kill a bunch of farmers in random cave).
No idea if I was blessed by RNG or it just doesn't matter, but I had no problems with Morale or characters leaving party.

Main companions were alright, even the black guy in the second half of the game.
I didn't care about Praetorians at all. Why didn't they just make a bunch of unique characters with smaller stories like in Conquistador? You can get a bunch of unique ones like your slave, deserter in Egypt and one of Ferrata guys if you spare him in Gaullia, but everyone else is completely RNG.

Gladiators stayed weak until the end, while the Veles were able to have infinite movement points, guarantee crits on next attack, deal +100% damage with sneak attacks, regenerate AP with a hotbar skill and on kill.

I didn't bother with equipment- just upgraded unique stuff and Praetorian starter gear in Forge.

Legion battles stayed boring until the end- I rushed decimating enemies with Artillery/ Infantry at any cost after last town in Greece got reinforced to almost 10K troops with all enemies that ran away from earlier battles.

While I had fun with combat, I don't see myself replaying it (I've played each of the previous ones 3 times). There weren't any optional fights, my choices didn't affect the fights or who I was fighting with or against, so anything that'd change would be taking the second choice in each act and killing every character I've spared this time.

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
Viking does have some difficulty spikes. It is harder in Denmark because you don't have any crafted metal armor yet, so all your characters can be killed in 1 or 2 hits by lots of enemies. I've only ever played the game on Insane difficulty, so I'm not sure how much different lower difficulties are affected but you have to be very careful with your positioning because one wrong action can lead to a KO on the next turn if a character is out of position. Some of the toughest battles are the ones where you don't get the first turn. Positioning is key there, sometimes on the first try, you'll ace it, other times you pick your starting positions and lose 2 characters straight away.

Here's a good example actually from my (incomplete) Let's Play

First go I screw it up, but on the second go I metagame the positioning a bit more and have some luck with the RNG.

That particular battle is also super hard if you try and do it early, less so if you do it later (like I'm doing here).

the wolf battles, the return to york which I think is basically impossible, and a lot of others were ball busting

I played on hard, it seems the enemies will always have more juiced stats then your party defensively, atleast up until the first york questline was completed imo

that one battle with the thieves outside the danish town was insanely hard, there is a way to beat it but if you approach it from the road you're going to get destroyed probably

I mean the whole viking thing makes you assume that you can rush at people and charge, but it really is a tactical rpg, I find my archer getting a ton of kills

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
also I think it's totally decline that they took out the character creation and the class system even if the abilities are cool and make sense kinda sucks, compared to what it was

I guess it was too hard to make the full rpg with stats and make this beautiful more story focused game?

who knows, just the decision to say, fuck it, characters don't need attributes anymore is an extremist position

I understand what they're going for but meh, it's more casual, still probably gonna finish it eventually

Barbarian

Arcane
Viking was the better game of the series I think. Much more woke than Conquistador but improved quality and production value, a much more polished game.

Too bad they changed so much of the model with Rome. The game is about controlling a small group in foreign territory, not about managing fucking legions and having war minigames.

Conquistador - fairly original and fun if not perfect, 8/10
Viking - refines the somewhat raw and unfocused strategy-lite gameplay of Conquistador into one of the best post-decline isometric RPGs, 9/10
Rome - what the motherfucking fuck? 4/10

Barbarian

Arcane
Regardless of flaws and wokery, I'm really sad the studio went under and we will probably never get more expedition games.

We hardly ever get historical games anyway, and the concept was great(despite the "gender equality" BS they insisted on and so and so).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom