Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game - Space Age expansion coming October 21st

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Game is a lot of fun. Do look forward to the finished product.

How's the aliens now as a threat? Back when EA first started, they were barely a nuisance, let alone something you had to actively worry about.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

How's the aliens now as a threat? Back when EA first started, they were barely a nuisance, let alone something you had to actively worry about.
Alien attacks are mostly a nuisance, at least once you get laser turrets operational. Taking down alien nests to allow mining the stuff underneath can get pretty tough once they start getting worms.

It also depends hugely on map type: start in lush forest, lots of pollution reduction, no early alien attacks, no problem. Start in desert, no pollution reduction, lots of alien attacks really early, rather hard.

Perkel

Arcane

ramp up dificulty. Starting default scenario gives you shitload of space for factory and sets up alien bases far out.

This is why solar panels spam happens. People use default easy setting and can go green without problem where if you have little space you need to actually sweat playing game and think about defenses.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I don't think there even were difficulties (or map types) when I tried it, but that's good to hear. Will give it another shot if it ever escapes EA.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I suspect anyone that plays this game to be authistic in one form or another. I mean no disrespect but is there an end to this game ? I have seen people just fundling around on this game ( in à particular case the person was asperger ) for the sake of managing and constructing without clear end objective. Please enlighten me.

Perkel

Arcane
I suspect anyone that plays this game to be authistic in one form or another. I mean no disrespect but is there an end to this game ? I have seen people just fundling around on this game ( in à particular case the person was asperger ) for the sake of managing and constructing without clear end objective. Please enlighten me.

Fun from this game comes from logical thinking about design of your factory not from well i need to play it for 100 hours and find ending.

Game dose have soft ending which is sending rocket to space which costs shitload of resources and time to make.

Destroid

Arcane
I don't think there even were difficulties (or map types) when I tried it, but that's good to hear. Will give it another shot if it ever escapes EA.

There aren't really, but you can play with the generation settings to make more aliens and less resources. You can also download custom built maps.

EDIT: New trailer:

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
This game is great, give it a shot if you like builders. Multiplayer is a big bonus, btw. Pretty smooth and a lot of fun. It's like mini real time Sim City, or Anno series, or.....well, not quite like any of those. About making more and more complex mechanisms to make more and more stuff. It gets addicting.

It's just good.

tripedal

Augur
This game is fucking great. Feels similar to the Zachtronics games, but without the imposition of explicit puzzles to solve. Unfortunately the lategame is kinda boring, but there's a solid 20-30 hours before you hit that point.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
One of my Steam friends whose tastes I always trust has been playing this to death, so I'll probably pick it up after I get through with Stardew Valley.

Norfleet

This game is fucking great. Feels similar to the Zachtronics games, but without the imposition of explicit puzzles to solve. Unfortunately the lategame is kinda boring, but there's a solid 20-30 hours before you hit that point.
The endgame is making a factory that makes factories, where, supplied with more minerals, it produces another factory just like itself.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
One of my Steam friends whose tastes I always trust has been playing this to death, so I'll probably pick it up after I get through with Stardew Valley.

It is great, already was back when the first initial versions came out. And now there's some mods for it too, which might be worth checking out.

Perkel

Arcane

If you didn't play it then you are in for a threat.

It is one of those game where you want to say "I know KungFu" several times in playtrough.

It is like programming. First you implement something quick and dirty then you refactor it, then you do something else and you think that maybe those two things needs to be connected and if you had 3rd place doing something else this would be even more amazing... and...

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I started playing this and it sucked me in so hard I even forgot to eat. After getting pulled out of it I realized I had spent 5 hours trying to make a virtual factory. Never again.

tripedal

Augur
screenshot5668548.jpg

My first decent base...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Factorio? More like Cracktorio. Fucking Hell.

My bane after four or five hours in-game is the fact that some seemingly simple items, which are otherwise easy and fairly quick to create in-inventory, require a hideous rat's nest of infrastructure to efficiently automate production of. Inserters are the best of example of this since they're needed in quantity fairly early in the game for second-tier tech research. You need five or six mining rigs, five or six furnaces, two or three copper cable factories, a gear wheel factory, an electronic circuit factory, an inserter factory, and all the inserters, conveyor belts, and electric wiring to make it all work.

Norfleet

You need five or six mining rigs, five or six furnaces, two or three copper cable factories, a gear wheel factory, an electronic circuit factory, an inserter factory, and all the inserters, conveyor belts, and electric wiring to make it all work.
Five or Six? Two or three? *A*? You poor thing. You have no idea. Also, you don't make copper cable factories. You make green-circuit production blocks consisting of 3 copper cable plants that feed directly into a pair of circuit assemblers. You should not have copper cables randomly skating across the map at this juncture.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yeah, tell me about it. I've now got the vast majority of the third-tier research done, though I couldn't quite manage to fully automate production and distribution of blue science packs with my amateurish and lower-tech complex. I did automate the creation of smart inserters and just about everything in between, but I manually placed the inserters (and just about everything else they need, much of which I scooped off of belts) into my blue science pack assemblies; I manually distributed the blue packs into the 8 labs I had going. The red and green pack insertions were nicely automated, though. Then there was my hideous rat's nest of an oil processing complex....

I'm doing much better now, tore it all down a while back to facilitate a much more efficient rebuild and installed some small miscellaneous complexes in the meantime to pave my base with concrete, make processing units, etc.

No game I've ever played in my whole life has had a "Shit, I've been playing for HOW LONG?" factor as intense as Factorio. Sit down at 8 p.m. and suddenly the Sun's coming up.

My pipeline got a lot better. It's inconvenient to walk through, but I never go that way anyway. Not pictured: The modules I added to fine-tune throughput and cut down on power consumption, and the Sulfurmobile I'm now using to store all that sulfur until I decide exactly how to situate the battery and processing unit assembly complexes.

a781bd2a6c.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom