Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is way worse than I remember it.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
it has come to the point that the fact that FO1 is the gold standard and FO2 is pure decline is been slowly accepted as an unalterable truth.

It is indeed an unalterable truth. I had yet to know of the codex when I first played FO2 but I sure as hell felt disgust booting it up as soon as I saw that stupid temple of trial, bone in nose subhumans and many, many other things that keep on piling as you keep playing.

On the other hand, this does make the game feel cathartic should you play on a genocide run bent on killing as many wastelanders as possible. Because they sure as fuck deserve to be removed from this world.

The game severely needed an option to join with the enclave. It needed that option more than Fallout 1 needed the option to join the master. Yet, fallout 1 gave you the option but faggout 2 did not.

The enclave was absolutely right. Kill everything outside. It's the only way.

typical user

Arbiter
Message to OP:
98r04ay6oa921.jpg

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I didn't have problems with the icons (or numbers on them) when I was playing the Alpha Demo version of Underrail, but I admit that being able to adjust the size of the window (to make objects in it a bit bigger) wouldn't hurt. In fact, I can argue that the inventory screen could be bigger by default, because there is free space on screen for it (at least in 1920x1080 resolution, which is my default display).
In that quote I was referring to him comparing FO to Underrail directly. I like the size of the inventory window as it lets you open other windows and place them next to each other (IE crafting). Whatever though, doesn't really matter.
Fallout's color scheme fits though. I never had to think about it, because to me it made sense that a radioactive wasteland of the post-apocalypse world is made up mostly of sand and rocks. But I do think the reason for that is also to save up on work. Instead of coming up with dozens of different outdoor environments you have one and can focus on other stuff to implement in your game. However, there are also ruined cities and industrial complexes (not sure how to name it better) made up of concrete or metal, so there is some variety that - again - makes sense in the game's world. For an old game it holds up pretty good.

As for Underrail - it looks very clean, the color palette is larger (while also making sense) and it gets a lot of extra points from me for pixel art, because I am a fan of it. If you are not the fan of pixel art, then I guess I can understand not liking Underrail's art style as much.
Sorry but Fallout just looks so bad to me, and I hate that people use the Nuclear Wasteland excuse. I've already posted pictures of other games with deserts in them. It's easy to add hues of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple to brighten up your game and make it feel less shitty, while also maintaining that desert feel. If you don't mind the color palette, more power to you, but personally I'm a little more picky when it comes to such things.

And don't say it holds up well for an old game when the IE games exist which all look better than FO in terms of color palette.
I don't understand why there has to be some sort of competition between people who enjoy Fallout and Underrail. I enjoyed Fallout games (including Fallout Tactics) and during the brief time I've played Underrail I felt like it had some of the spirit of Fallout in it. The main reason I didn't bought it back then was because I had a lot of other stuff to play at the time, but now I think I'll buy the game when it goes on sale.
I was arguing, so the comparisons were there. Plus it's fun to compare things.
Some low effort troll came to shit on Underral and for some reason it worked.
TBF I was shitting on FO on a FO thread so I brought it upon myself. But aside from my shitposting, I've said it before that FO really isn't a bad game, just not a game that's up to my standard imo. Nothing wrong with liking it though I'll always disagree with people rating it so highly. It's whenever people stand there and claim the game has no issues and is the best RPG ever that I roll my eyes and will start to shit on the game.

Jigby

Augur
FO combat devolves around getting hit chance high enough to hit shots to the eyes all the damn time and pop stimpacks once you get low. That's it. Try that in Underrail and you are dead meat. Well I guess tincan AR build can play somewhat similar to that though not all the time either.
Yeah let's ignore every other possible way to do combat, because it's outright impossible to do. We all know Sniper perk is what all gamers strive for when they play Fallout 2.
Sadly, only four somewhat different builds are the main meat of Fallout 2:

- eye-shooter. Nuff said
- melee/unarmed one. Different in some stats and skills, but the goal is the same: kick people in the eyes - or head
- burst one. Different stats and skills, but the goal is to get closer and spray people
- pacifist one. Nuff said

Now, the build autism of Underrail...
I'd add a charismatic party guy, a thrower, a rocket launcher/flamethrower guy, fast shot unarmed/melee (the aimed melee/unarmed feels different from 13 attacks/round melee/unarmed, same for rocket launcher which feels different form burst type big guns), some high AC Jinxed build, a low AG moleass build (this ones hilarious). I think your statement is correct, the build variance is more limited, but Fallouts are always about the confluence of builds, metagaming and burning flesh. Playing an energy weapons guy in 1.5 doing the usual route feels very different from playing an energy weapons guy that goes to the Rebirth Base and takes Savior's plasma gatling. These days it is the content abundance that's of help. 1.5 feels different from Nevada which feels different from 2 etc.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
de6jcbz-eb203080-3bf7-4934-9538-1aa299f4ba9c.png
This artwork is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Extremely similar color palette to Fallout series, but has just enough extra. This looks fucking gorgeous. Too bad the rest of the game doesn't come anywhere close to it.

I know it's hand drawn, but the my point stands.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
:deathclaw:
Fallout was made by a studio unlike Underrail wich was created on a self made engine created by one guy. Above all Underrail takes a huge dump on FO when it comes to combat which was trite and shallow in FO and it was in fact by far its worst aspect apart from the death animations which became boring halfway through the game.
>A game doesn't have to be good because uhhhhhhh indie
Yeah, okay :salute:
Feel free to point how it "takes a huge dump" - the combat systems are basically identical, but Underrail has even less aesthetics, no aimed shots and you spend almost the entirety of the game in combat - So what is it? If Fallout combat sucks, why do you love it when it happens for 95% of a game but under a different name? And if you got bored of Fallouts animations, can you tell me how bored you are of seeing people slip over a banana peel over 9000 times during the course of Underrail and how there basically no feedback to anything? Or are we just applying double standards here?

All I hear is baby man faggot has inferior eyes. I have a large monitor and I sit far away from my desk and have never had any problems with the icons. Imagine being so crippled, cope harder.
And whether or not the icons or small doesn't necessarily mean you can call the rest of the UI shit.
It's literally impossible to cope harder than with "works on my machine" which in this case really just boils down to "because i say so".
And yes, I can call Underrails UI shit - deal with it :lol:

More drivel.
The height of cope - completely refusing to deal with the subject matter - because you can't. The fact is you got BTFO with your own criticism used against you. If what I said was drivel, so was yours.

Also, if you think that desert wasteland compels lack of color, I would disagree. Check out, for instance, Dune and Dark Sun.
Posting games with garish, headache inducing graphics composed of 3 near-neon colors and a photoshopped real image no-nuke apocalypse isn't doing you any favors.

Original post is from MRY, so I cannot take credit. Do not use the bullshit excuse of FO taking place in a desert to excuse its shit color scheme.
Do not use the bullshit excuse of Underrail taking place in a dull subway to excuse its shit color scheme.

Underrail isn't the most colorful game in the world, but it does a great job of mixing in different hues and tones to diversify the color palette of the game so everything doesn't look so lifeless and dry.
Thanks for your headcanon, but it is literally one of the most aesthetically unsatisfying games of the past decade+.

Of course if you're going to be exploring the Upper/Lower Caves they're going to be muted in color, but there are plenty of vibrant locations in the world that also make sense thematically/logically. There is also a ton of blue and black in Underrai's cave systemsl, as much if not more than the brown. You're talking out of your ass and it's painfully obvious.
And there's colorful places in Fallout - you can stop stating the obvious, you never actually played 1 or 2. No wonder why, you can't stand an rpg that forces you to actually read in order to progress.

Literal boomer Fallout fanboy has the audacity to complain about another games fanbase? Absolutely hilarious. I love how you ignore my very valid critique of Fallout's shit inventory because you can't deny its validity. Fallout's UI is shit for other reasons as well, but I can see it's not worth typing out.
Literal zoomer murderhobo fanboy has the audacity to complain when he's part of the most autistic nu-rpg fanbase :lol: I love how you pretend all your critiques are valid whereas mine are invalid - you've yet to actually refute a single one, and you've straight up ignored plenty of mine. Such is the way of butthurt fanboys. Thanks for listing "reasons" you can't actually put words to - almost like they don't exist and possibly also exist in Underrail.

Plenty of lore all throughout expition that goes deeper into the lore of the Godmen, Old Biocorp, Old Junkyard, Protectorate, and the world of Underrail before Biocorp started to run everything, as well as many other things. This shit has been discussed in the actual forums and is easy to pull up. But it's cool, I know you want to run your mouth off on a shit you don't know a damn thing about so you can get some precious virtual points from your Fallout butt faggots.
If it's so plentiful and makes expedition worth playing, how come you are unable to actually mention the passages? It's almost like you can't because they weren't memorable. But that's cool, you'd rather, in your ignorance, lean on what other people say because you can't back your own shit up. Again, unlike you i actually played the games we're discussing - this is getting embarrasing for you.

Maybe you missed it. My brain has wrinkles in it though, so I didn't have that problem. Just because the game doesn't shove it in your fucking face doesn't mean it's easy to miss.
Can you prove that you fully understood the lore by the end of the first playthrough without having to look anything up or ask anyone else? This is just another one of your baseless claims. Again, you can't actually name any of the "amazing" passages, all you did was namedrop some vague concepts. And actually - that's exactly what it means. The game is full of so many inconsequential murderhobo zones that I can't blame anyone for not wanting to explore all that much - especially the deep caverns where you start off punished so hard just for existing in it.

The game has plenty of C&C when it comes to quests, factions, build choices, dungeons and so on. Just because there is a linear story that culminates with fighting Tchort and getting the cube doesn't mean the game doesn't have C&C. Not every game has to have a thousand different endings. Shit tier opinion.
Can you name any significant ones without looking anything up? Preferably something that isn't just the same outcome but with a different faction name to it (ie. every fucking choice in the game). After all, the writing is so amazing.

Locations
Caerus Residential Block, Lemurian Grand Archive, Lemurian Medical Center, Joint Security Center, Blistering Shores Research Facility Oculus, Abyssal Station Zero, Foundry, Gray Army Military Base, Port Ceto, University Basement, The Rig, Drag 'n' Drop, Abandoned Waterway Facility
Given the obvious fact that you clearly had to look these names and locations up and then copypasted them straight from the wiki - I rest my case :lol: Even if that weren't the case, you didn't mention a single thing that was actually interesting there.

Again you've obviously wiki'd most of this list, but anyway:

Literally 'le gruff marine badass' one dimensional personality
Already granted Oculus was interesting
Autistic sperg, only relevant because he's a gary stu Godman, nothing else to it
Captain Grim
One dimensional retard who somehow didn't realize he could negotiate until the plot armored Gary stu player character arrived and passed some speech checks
Just an exposition style lore dumper, one dimensional gruff a la Gorsky
A caveman, need I say more?
Granted for glowing in the dark
Le reddit weed guy (probably based on The Big Bang) who arbitrarily walks you across the map and leads you to - guess what - a murderhobo/ball crushing stealth sequence (and oh boy, is Underrail stealth terrible) alternate reality with writing straight out of reddit.
More content you have no way of knowing it exists unless you spoiler yourself? :lol: And actually locks you out of finishing the game - nice one.
Very minor character in a shitty, shitty quest
Kokoschka
Cringe minor joke character part of the retarded Antifa Underrail chapter
Oculus
Marcus Ladelman
Le lovable retard whos only contribution is being a merchant with way, way too much inconsequential flavor text (in fact, that's most of the characters in the game)
Vivian Young
Literally WHO
>Le epic naruto ninja dude, so badass lol
Literally a retarded puzzle gatekeeping a quest item
Rathound King
>Rahhh, i hate all humans over there because ...... i hate them !! and there shall be no reconciliation because i am a crazy killerguy! FEAR ME !! and fetch me some pussy XD
Evelyn Ingram
>Le crazy widow with average female physical build who magically overpowers you and has somehow operated without anyone finding anything out
Jon the Beautiful
Magic Unexplained Exposition loredump, redditstyle: The character
Norman Hack
>Invented the underrail equivalent of Klingon... so interesting

Congrats, you only named 1 character who is actually interesting outside of Oculus. Again all you've done is list off names without adding any kind of substance to them. I guess you don't remember them outside of the time you spend wikiing their names up.

I mean really, when I said gripping I meant objectively well written and engaging - not what passes for Mega Cool/Based by the Rick n morty generation. The fact that you think even half the list deserved a mention for "interesting character" shows why you can't stand Fallout - you actually have to read stuff and can't just pass off random inconsequential characters whose dialog was written by some freshman.

Plenty of other examples for both locations and characters.
And no mention of why they are interesting - So i had to debunk them for you. Thanks, it was pretty funny getting a glimpse of your idea of Quality Content :lol:

What's satisfying is your character's progression from a weak, clueless zoner, to a powerful and influential man who has uncovered many of the secrets of his world.
Congrats, this is nothing unique to Underrail.
you can always stay behind and run SGS after Tanner's exodus, guiding the station through political turmoil towards the path that you see fit.
No you can't, this is merely implied

If you perhaps want more of Underrail and it's world, you can travel North, and continue your quest. These are both types of narrative resolution that are very satisfying.
That's so cool you were allowed to alpha test the new content - Oh wait, that's all implied too. Is it really that easy to appease zoomer retards with a "JOIN US NEXT TIME ON UNDERRAIL"? Again, you don't get to keep the cube that you chased the entire game, no resolution with Hadrian or any deeper knowledge about Godmen except they're cringey assholes who somehow need a mere mortals interference despite being able to teleport at will, instakill anything and wear perfect disguises. TERRIBLE writing.

By your logic, in Fallout 1 you get kicked out of the vault no matter what, so what's the point of going through the entire game?
You mean besides saving the Vault and everyone in it you care about? You keep unwittingly dropping hints that you never actually played the games lmao. And anyway, how is that "by my logic"? Don't tell me, you're a "the journey was the destination" kind of homo :lol:

I'm not the one shitting on Fallout's plot though you absolute mongoloid.
Except you are - you said you found nothing special about the game and simultaneously shoot yourself in the foot since Underrail is literally based on it, and many systems are basically identical. Underrail is Fallout with shitter writing and possibly as much as 95% of the game is either unskippable combat or ball crushing stealth that requires a DIFFERENT FUCKING EXPERIENCE SYSTEM. I critique the game for its absolutely trash gameplay.

Absolute mindmelt. Don't call Underrail's main quest boring because you're just running around looking for a cube when you're literally running around looking for a water chip and a G.E.C.K in Fallout 1 and 2.
The "absolute mindmelt" is complete when you call Fallouts main quest a "glorified fetch quest" which is exactly what the Cube in Underrail is.

You and the rest of the NMA rejects on this forum are the ones that sperg whenever anyone dares critique your precious game.
Often parroted suicide watch tier cope by Bethestards and Underrail zoomers. I bet you've never even been to NMA let alone realized that people can have other opinions on things you like without being "retarded boomer rejects from website X". You guys literally can't handle criticism of Underrail even after you've just gotten done slinging shit on other games, you either resort to projection and/or insults and just ignore the criticisms straight up because you know responding is a losing venture - All of which you've done here.

I also love when jaded retards like you say zoomer as if it's some sort of insult. I'm young which is why I shitpost on internet forums and fuck around in between class/work/fucking bitches. What's your excuse you absolute fucking failure? Don't be mad because I'm literally better at life than you.
I also love when jaded retards like you say boomer as if it's some sort of insult. I mean come on, do you even think twice before you hit Post Reply? Don't accuse people of shit you do yourself unless you want to look like a butthurt bitch. Also thanks for the hilarious attempted lifemog cope, you just lost your shit you sperg :lol::lol::lol:

There are tons of examples of great writing throughout the game. All of the lore surrounding Old Biocorp, Expedition, Psi Monoliths, Oculus Mainframes, character dialogue, the lore behind the University and the Faceless.
Again, you're just listing things off without substance, and your "great character list" is riddled with very cringey and inconsequential reddit characters.

It's not missable, you're just retarded.
"It's not missable" t. someone who already knows it exists lmfao.

Wow, imagine a game actually requiring you to play it.
If being forced to kill over 9000 mooks or drag your balls through broken glass and >Le stealth with an alternate XP system floats your boat, just fucking play call of duty at that point.

You can stealth through many parts of Underrail.
Yeah cool, savescum city here I come! Gosh I love picking up oddities that require tons of metagaming to even collect - even when I know where they are, which I don't unless I - guess what - LOOK THEM UP! Just rename Underrail to Wikipedia 2.0 :lol:

Of course there are locations and quests where you have to fight if you want to proceed, but if there wasn't that would not be logically consistent in the slightest.
Except that's not all, you're massively minimizing - There's a staggering amount of mook killing required. In fact, it's one of the main criticisms! You know, those things that make your ears red? It's barely an rpg outside of leveling up. In fact, Underrail is closer to a beatem up than RPG.

As for the death animations, they're literally irrelevant to me.
Of course you'd cope and say this, since all you get is your beloved banana peel slip x9000 :lol: "I just love eating shit, please master give me more!" "Games don't have to have good writing or content, as long as I can see my big numbers!"
The utter state of Underrail zoomies, fucking depressing.

I don't have a sub triple digit IQ where some shitty sprite bending over or exploding on a screen tickles my balls enough for me
All you've been doing thus far is convince me of your double digit IQ. If you're not actually stupid, you wouldn't feel the need to state it.

to keep playing through a game where every other aspect of the game is shit.
You just love shooting yourself in the foot. Underrail is a pale imitation of Fallout - you're just ragging on your favorite game without knowing it, since you haven't actually played Fallout.
SAD!

Why is there a constant flow of these animals into this forum?
Translation: Why are people allowed to have different opinions when I get upset and cry?
This is what makes you a coping faggot zoomer, your brain is underdeveloped and you haven't yet learned that the world doesn't bend to your will.

Shit arguments and vague platitudes that are regurgitated by every robot that is stuck 20 years in the past.
All you've done is project, cope, seethe and now dilate. You don't even understand that the only reason Underrail is any good at all is because it tries its best to mimic games from decades ago. If you can't handle the game, don't fucking play - just go hide on your dead ass containment forum on underrail.com.
Just a shocking display of ignorance and crybullying.

Isn't Underrail 2 in dev atm or will there just be further DLC module installments?

I guess people can mod & patch the old fallouts but there won't be new ones done in that style.

Underrail has the possibilty to continue.

Atom will probably have future developements.

Wasteland... who knows.

I prefer comparisons among a wider range of apoc games. There are peobably others that can be tried and mastered (or finished like a one night stand).

I haven't played a post apoc game in ages (Hellgate london doesn't count). What are a few others I could tack onto the list?

Must be party, TB combat, post apoc / sci-fi.

https://stygiansoftware.com/games.html
Styg hates modding - why? Nobody really knows even though its development would have greatly benefited from the extra content and the severely lacking gameplay could be made much less painful. Even the biggest fans complain about nerfed builds. Meanwhile even to this day people make content for Fallout 1 and 2. What to Underrail nerds get? See you in another 1-10 fucking years - whenever slavman feels like releasing:lol:

Ps. Play Fallout Nevada & Sonora when its translated

In that quote I was referring to him comparing FO to Underrail directly.
Quote me where i "directly compared" these things. You can't.

I like the size of the inventory window as it lets you open other windows and place them next to each other (IE crafting). Whatever though, doesn't really matter.
The fact that you have to play tetris with the windows to have a complete crafting experience is yet more proof that Underrail's UI is shit.

Sorry but Fallout just looks so bad to me, and I hate that people use the Nuclear Wasteland excuse.
Excuse, or fucking fact? You also literally linked some neon rave shit and completely skirted the fact that the majority of Underrail is a grey/brown mess - This is schizophrenia when you don't realize you're arguing based on parameters that directly apply to your own babbys first cRPG.

I've already posted pictures of other games with deserts in them. It's easy to add hues of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple to brighten up your game and make it feel less shitty, while also maintaining that desert feel. If you don't mind the color palette, more power to you, but personally I'm a little more picky when it comes to such things.
The games you linked look like a childs coloring book. I challenge you to actually play them without developing a headache.

And don't say it holds up well for an old game when the IE games exist which all look better than FO in terms of color palette.
It holds up well for an old game - In fact the games hold up so well they are the only reason Underrail exists today. And again, based on what you linked you're saying neon colors make sense to use exclusively.

TBF I was shitting on FO on a FO thread so I brought it upon myself. But aside from my shitposting, I've said it before that FO really isn't a bad game, just not a game that's up to my standard imo. Nothing wrong with liking it though I'll always disagree with people rating it so highly. It's whenever people stand there and claim the game has no issues and is the best RPG ever that I roll my eyes and will start to shit on the game.
The mindboggling thing is you don't actually understand that Underrail attempts to mimic Fallout with minor differences. You haven't actually played Fallout, so that's understandable, but at least stay out of Fallout threads or lurk until you actually play them - it's just the sensible thing to do. And can you quote who in here said Fallout is "the best and has no issues"? Why strawman so absurdly?

This artwork is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Extremely similar color palette to Fallout series, but has just enough extra. This looks fucking gorgeous. Too bad the rest of the game doesn't come anywhere close to it.

This is basically just playing the game with upscaling, slightly altered saturation and contrast slider with vaseline smeared over the monitor... Don't tell me your opinion of the game is based on playing in 800x600 and then comparing that to a modern game? :eek:

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
:deathclaw:
Fallout was made by a studio unlike Underrail wich was created on a self made engine created by one guy. Above all Underrail takes a huge dump on FO when it comes to combat which was trite and shallow in FO and it was in fact by far its worst aspect apart from the death animations which became boring halfway through the game.
>A game doesn't have to be good because uhhhhhhh indie
Yeah, okay :salute:
Feel free to point how it "takes a huge dump" - the combat systems are basically identical, but Underrail has even less aesthetics, no aimed shots and you spend almost the entirety of the game in combat - So what is it? If Fallout combat sucks, why do you love it when it happens for 95% of a game but under a different name? And if you got bored of Fallouts animations, can you tell me how bored you are of seeing people slip over a banana peel over 9000 times during the course of Underrail and how there basically no feedback to anything? Or are we just applying double standards here?

Yeah it is a big difference if you have well over a dozen people or if 1-3 people are working on a first time project. Anyone not ackowledging this is a disingenuous dumbfuck. Ah the typical "MUH ÄMZED SHUUTZ" wanking. Sorry to tell you this but outside of the rare early game optional Deathclaw slowing down leg shot you hardly ever use anything but headshots/eye shots and what for? More and better crits. Tactical incease of depth? Exactly nil, nada, zilch, zero.
Underrail takes a huge strategical dump due to the simple fact that just to prepare you have FAR more variety than anything FO offers which has nothing but a primitve armor tier system starting with the Leather Jacket going up to Power Armor and there is VERY little reason to not use the best armor tier currently available. Meanwhile People have veritable sets of armor for stealth, acid, fire/mines, etc. The same applies to weapons. There is very little reason to use pistols at later stages and the differences between pistols can be summarized again by "tier". Meanwhile the amount of differences between pistols and cusom building pistols to your specific needs from bursty Hammers to silenced Hawkers and a lot in between depending on what you want. Hell we even have unique weapons, armor and utility items some which offer truly unique benefits. What exactly does FO offer again? Oh yeah, the solar scorcher. Fuck off retard.
On the tactical level, even the simplest metal armor wearing assault rifle tinman has more tactical depth than FO just because you simply that you HAVE to use at least armor piercing bullets or go crying against Dreadnaughts and the like, or at the very least have LOADS of ammo. Then there are grenades which unlike FO are NOT useless and are in fact extremely strong and offer various effects and damage types which is helpful depending on enemy type. This of course is just the absolute simplest build, once advanced perks like Blitz, Evasive Maneuvers, utility items like throwing nets, tasers, caldrop, energy shields, etc not to mention psionics the game changes substantially. When those come into play FO looks like game designed for 3 year olds to successfully do combat.
Aesthetics? Underrail has great aesthetics and far more varied than the shit brown and dab grey that is prevalent in 95% of FO. The game is very atmospheric overall and is in no way worse than Fallout.
Ah death animations. Ultimately I do not care about death animations but they are the ONLY thing that the puddle deep combat in FO offers. I do not care a flying fuck about it in a reasonably deep game like Underrail. Also lies again, there are some variations like people shattering from ice blocks or continued burning corpses. Not that it means much but if you want to get anal about an aspect that adds ZERO to the tactical depth of a game and is just for personal gratification then I will be anal about it as well, retard.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Ok... no more vids for me. Too many and too many opinions. That wide screen though for FO... NO! Yuck.

For instance the combat in Fallout is one of the only pseudo-isometric view turn based implementations of it that I not only enjoy, but find myself thoroughly engaged by, the qualia of how it feels to click and inspect things, to issue commands &c is addictive. The death animations are so well designed and the sensation of hearing that scream and the sound of an automatic burst fire as bullets tear the body to shreds almost mimics the intravenous delivery rapid-onset narcotics. Other games with a derivative approach to violent encounters somehow miss whatever that coincident sum of components ought to be called and as such fail to capture attention along with it.
combat = combat system + encounter design + mechanics/ruleset (and ai ofc but very few rpgs actually implement this well)
NOT animations + sound effects + the tactile sensation you feel when clicking with your mouse

fallout has a decent combat system (isometric turn based with action point management and locational targeting). however, the lackluster encounter design and a couple of overlooked mechanics drag down combat as a whole. every encounter in fallout requires the same tactic: shoot the eyes, which can be done with reliable accuracy starting from level 5-6 especially when there are only a handful of skills that are worth investing points into. there is not much incentive to cripple an enemy's arm/leg when shooting their eyes can kill them instantly with the same crit roll or at the very least blind them with a low roll. there is also no reason to use armor piercing rounds since crits bypass armor anyway. combat does become slightly more tactical with a burst fire build because you have to find the right position to unload your clip but there is still not enough tactical variation to keep it engaging.

Wrong. Animations and sound effects which create the tactile sensation are part of the combat. Fallout 2 would not have turned heads with its combat system without that tactile feedback, it's the final piece, the feedback that your build is working and killing dudes.

And now that I see someone mention it, that is part of the problem with Underrail that I never put my finger on.

Fallout 2 didn't have as much depth as it appeared to, that's true. The crit mechanics overpowered the armor mechanics, making piercing rounds worthless.

Underrail totally lacks polish, the writing is fucking terrible, the visuals are lackluster. It's a sandbox for building combat RPG characters, and it's pretty damn good at that. Fallout 1 and 2 are classics, Underrail won't be a footnote because there's nothing memorable about it.

These retarded 5 page walls of text where you respond to each and every word some other retard said is a good demonstration of the fact that good games can attract stupid fans. You're all enjoying fallout and underrail wrong go play wii bowling you fucking casuals.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
There were too many in-jokes and some stuff that was just plain ol' too whacky, but FO2 is a great game. It might be better than FO1. I think FO1 gets a lot of credit for being different and new; the setting was pretty original, at least for video games. But on almost every level, FO2 is a technically better, more well-rounded game. NPCs were better, but the overall story was a little worse. Ammo was too plentiful in FO2, but the diversity of builds was much better and there were really different ways to progress through the game. FO1's timer sucked, no two ways about it.

FO2 hate is lame and cringe.

Last edited:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
it has come to the point that the fact that FO1 is the gold standard and FO2 is pure decline is been slowly accepted as an unalterable truth.

It is indeed an unalterable truth. I had yet to know of the codex when I first played FO2 but I sure as hell felt disgust booting it up as soon as I saw that stupid temple of trial, bone in nose subhumans and many, many other things that keep on piling as you keep playing.

On the other hand, this does make the game feel cathartic should you play on a genocide run bent on killing as many wastelanders as possible. Because they sure as fuck deserve to be removed from this world.

The game severely needed an option to join with the enclave. It needed that option more than Fallout 1 needed the option to join the master. Yet, fallout 1 gave you the option but faggout 2 did not.

The enclave was absolutely right. Kill everything outside. It's the only way.

This.
Everytime i play F2 i end up killing arroyans with flamer. I just can't resist this.

This is much higher res photo than anything that could come up with rendering it at the release date of F2.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, that's so true. The whole happy tribal family & "mutants" union against totally not-nazi guys ending was pretty dumb. Not that I liked the idea of roleplaying a fucking tribal a lot in the first place.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Remember those god awful ultima 6 & 8 dungeons. I thought I was on mars in U6. U8 my bland meter broke from overload. But, I play vector line dungeons so its not that bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom