Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

Kaol

Educated
First attempt at playing the game i picked big guns outdoorsman and doctor i think.

Go through the ToT and get to the last guy and can't progress becasue you have to have unarmed skill to beat him.

This after having like a 15% hit chance on ants meaning it took an age to even get there.

Yeah great game

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Okay so I started playing this awhile back because people kept saying it was better than Fallout 3, and I gotta say so far I am seriously underwhelmed. I've been playing for probably 5-10 hours and I have yet to meet a single interesting person that I care about. The comparison to 3 seems particularly apt here, where the very first thing you do (after the awesome character-generation/vault intro) is encounter what is probably the most interesting town in the whole game, where you are given the opportunity to set off a nuclear weapon.

It's like night and day compared to F3 -- everything feels more generic, including my protagonist.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
Kaol said:
First attempt at playing the game i picked big guns outdoorsman and doctor i think.

Go through the ToT and get to the last guy and can't progress becasue you have to have unarmed skill to beat him.

This after having like a 15% hit chance on ants meaning it took an age to even get there.

Yeah great game
You can pickpocket the bastard for his key. If your skill isn't high enough just abuse reloading.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Kaol said:

Yeah great game

Now your cover is blown, moron.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Kaol said:

Yeah great game

:retarded:

This is either Mastermind or Drog. Or both.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Kaol said:

Yeah great game
So, basically, you picked ability to kill people with sophisticated, ammunition hungry weapons as your only conflict-solving skill despite knowing that you're playing a tribal from a primitive village? Well, congratulations, you have lost the game.

I really liked FO2 (temple of trials aside - and I'd much rather that they gave you a decent but shitty starting pistol, like in FO1, rather than having to fight melee for the starting areas even if you've pumped all points into firearms). Part of it is that the small quests ARE drawn together, but far more subtley. The plot of FO1 goes like:
- you emerge from wasteland. Find that despite all odds there is SOME survivors: mankind can begin again. Before you get the water to your settlement, solving the short-term problem, you learn that there's a much bigger long-term problem thta might need some teaming up.

In FO2: you leave your thriving village to find that there are not only other human settlements, but the re-beginnings of civilisation. There are nation-states forming, akin to those of ancient greece, and there's such a variety that they'll eventually come to blows but the superious society will almost certainy win out in the long term. Then....the bastards who started the war in the first place decide they want to step back in and run things as though not a fucking thing has changed in the meantime. As though they didn't turn the place to rubble last time they took the helm. As though all their talk of tech and enlightment somehow is supposed to make everyone forget that THEY are the ones who turned the world into hell.

Personally, I think FO1 always has the advantage of being the first game in that setting. But the 2nd one does a damn fine job of modernising and showing the likely future/probabilities.

visions

Arcane
z o o l said:
So... am I actually the only one who likes FO2's opening, including Arroyo, the Temple of Trials and Klamath? I love the overall tribal feel, the Arroyo background music, the fact that you start only with a crappy spear (which makes it so good when you finally get your hands on a gun at Vic's house in Klamath), the crazy shaman and the old tribal leader's voice...

Oh well, it's probably that I see it through rose-tinted glasses because I played FO2 before playing FO1 and these were my first steps in the Fallout universe - and man, I loved it from the first second even though I had never heard of Fallout before that.

Agree except for the Temple of Trials, shit almost made me ragequit. I played Fallout 2 after Fallout though.
Also agree that I liked that it felt like a big deal when I got my first rifle, that was cool.

zool

Arcane
RK47 said:
Okay so I started playing this awhile back because people kept saying it was better than Fallout 3, and I gotta say so far I am seriously underwhelmed. I've been playing for probably 5-10 hours and I have yet to meet a single interesting person that I care about. The comparison to 3 seems particularly apt here, where the very first thing you do (after the awesome character-generation/vault intro) is encounter what is probably the most interesting town in the whole game, where you are given the opportunity to set off a nuclear weapon.

It's like night and day compared to F3 -- everything feels more generic, including my protagonist.

Ok, I haven't even tried playing FO3, so I wouldn't know about the comparison but... FO2, "generic" ?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
where the very first thing you do (after the awesome character-generation/vault intro) is encounter what is probably the most interesting town in the whole game, where you are given the opportunity to set off a nuclear weapon.

1/10

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FeelTheRads said:
Kaol said:

Yeah great game

This is either Mastermind or Drog. Or both.

Bitch please. I never got to the end of the ToT before i uninstalled the piece of shit and never looked back.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Kaol said:

Yeah great game
So, basically, you picked ability to kill people with sophisticated, ammunition hungry weapons as your only conflict-solving skill despite knowing that you're playing a tribal from a primitive village? Well, congratulations, you have lost the game.

Choices and consequences, bitch. You can roleplay anything, as long as that anything falls within parameters set by the designers. It took Gaider 20 years to finally rival this shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Fallout 2 also has a much weaker story than the first Fallout,"

WTF? It's the same fuckin' story.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Choices and consequences, bitch. You can roleplay anything, as long as that anything falls within parameters set by the designers. It took Gaider 20 years to finally rival this shit.

Indeed. True RPGs are those where you can do anything, anytime with any character, Bethesda style.

You're so desperate for attention you'd try just about anything, huh? I bet you feel really good about that signature of yours. I can imagine you laughing to yourself, thinking how you'll offend those awful people who don't like the same game as you do. They deserve it, the bastards!

Repressed Homosexual
I must agree with the OP. The whole game felt like a mish-mash of ideas that the developers thought were awesome but which didn't fit well with one another. I wasn't surprised when I learned that it was made in 9 months. The atmosphere is there, but some of the stupid pop-culture allusions and special encounters ruin the mood. I was really stressed and desperate to find the water chip in the original, and I never knew what kind of crazy place or mad person I would stumble onto. I started playing it once in the morning and when I looked at the clock almost 15 hours had passed. That factor was entirely gone in FO2, it was more like an amusement theme park instead of an oppressive new world I was exploring. I just didn't feel it in any of the areas, although a lot of them were designed well.

I don't get the hate about the ToT, it was over fairly quickly and wasn't hard.

I will also forever have sour memories of this game since I was hit by a bug which prevented me from using any elevator right before the end. At that point I just watched the ending on Youtube and deleted it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
The big difference between Fallout and Fallout 2 is that I would bother to powergame and metagame Fallout 2, but never Fallout.

Why?

In Fallout, you really like to stop and smell the roses, and play the game the Way It Was Meant To Be Played, because it largely has worthwhile balance and content. Besides, there is an upper limit to how powerful you can feasibly get, and there is a point beyond which the end encounters won't get easier, because there is nothing better than Hardened Power Armour and Turbo Plasma Rifle.

In Fallout 2, I want to avoid the boring parts I don't like, so I powerbuild a character who won't be held back in the boring areas too long. Besides, given the unbalanced nature of the game in which you have too easy encounters and too difficult encounters, it's better to a) get the high XP from high XP areas quickly, b) avoid having to bother with low XP areas at all, and c) focus on being ready for dangerous areas (like Enclave and Navarro) by stealing the best weapons from the San Francisco area (don't bother buying a single thing).

Gentle Player

Arcane
You don't even have to fight the fella at the end of ToT, as long as you have enough points in speech. Just choose the right dialogue options and he'll let you pass.

Yeah, but that's as lame as stealing it off him. If you can't even knock out a tribal faggot, you have no business being the chosen one.

You do get double the XP if you steal instead of fight, which is understandable - you must be a pretty good thief if you can steal a key from the pockets of the only other guy in the room, who has his back turned to the exit door, and is watching you intently as he is expecting you to say you're ready.

FatCat

Educated
RK47 said:

I soo agree with you dude.Most Codexers are just high on nostalgia , FO series didn't age well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom