Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Kaol, Oct 15, 2011.

1. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Your grandma didn't age well when she was raped by russian soldiers.

^ Top  
  2. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    3/10 troll attempt.

Fallout 2 has a pretty meh story but the areas you can explore are interesting. Fallout 1 had a much better story and execution of that story though.

^ Top  
  3. FatCat Educated

FatCat
    My grandma is Russian , moron.

^ Top  
  4. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    Come on, the story in F2 could've been redeemed if the Enclave suddenly just swoop in after the Temple of Trials ended. Vertibirds land from the skies, all hells break loose and the Chosen One must escape with just his clothes, a bag of herbs and a sharpened spear. And it will be very iconic, since you'll see the elderly vault Dweller handing over his mantle to you just before he gets gunned down by an Enclave mini gun.

It's SO much better than wandering in the middle of the desert, looking for some 'sci-fi dream gaia kit' that seems relatively unnecessary, considering they can join the modern community and learn how to hunt or other skills that doesn't require farming. All that wandering and you end up witness Enclave shit that didn't amount to much until the Brotherhood explains everything. The village's entire abduction at the start would've made tracking down the Navarro much more logical in early game, and gives the player a strong motivation to get down to business. Hell, give him a timer. Every week he spent means another villager dies. There's around 100 villagers. He has 700 days. Or there's no one left to save.

Just imagine, "I'm looking for a fleet of flying machine. Have you seen them flying from the north?" in the first town...and they'll point you towards southwest from Klamat. The player would know he's outmatched. Now he has a choice: get some tech items from the more developed communities, hone his skills, gather his allies for vengeance, or go on a kamikaze run to Navarro and ninja his way to early finish.

Wouldn't it be more satisfying than doing a speed run with some heavy-handed meta-gaming just because 'you hated this shitty fed-ex filler content?

^ Top  
  5. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I think Volourn is talking about how the Vault / tribe needs you to get a water chip / GECK or they'll all die of dehydratation / hunger (well, they could just buy water / seeds from merchants, but then we wouldn't have a quest, would we). During your journey, you learn about a bigger threat that makes your quest irrelevant in comparison: the Master's army / Enclave is planning to ruin everyone's shit because they don't like non-mutants / mutants.

^ Top  
  6. SoupNazi rial billionaire Patron

SoupNazi
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands
    Plot for the upcoming Fallout FPS. You'll get to romance a woman from the Bortherhood.

oh wait

^ Top  
  7. Wyrmlord Arcane

Wyrmlord
    If I could change Fallout 2, I would add the possibility of gathering the best armed support of the Salvatores, Wrights, Mordinos, Bishops, Tribals, NCR, Vault City, Gecko Ghouls, Marcus' Mutant Army, Brotherhood of Steel, Shi, and Hubologists to launch a full scale assault on the Enclave.

They would hide in a safe place in the outskirts of Navarro. I'd infiltrate inside as one of them, give them a signal, bomb a part of Navarro to divert all the soldiers, and wait as the entire collective California army rushes in to destroy the Enclave soldiers in the outpost. They could all then besiege the Poseidon Oil Rig with the very vertibirds manufactured by stealing those plans, hole them all up inside, and weaken their resistance.

That would make the random-seeming parts of the game more coherent with the whole.

^ Top  
  8. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    *High fives Wyrmlord*

^ Top  
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    How would they know how to pilot the vertibirds?

^ Top  
  10. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Also, aren't the Salvatores reliant on the Enclave to supply them with energy weapons? What would suddenly make them turn on their benefactors?

^ Top  
  11. Kaol Educated

Kaol
    As an aside did anyone else find it rather amusing how FO:NV has to basically make excuses for how FO3 butchered the lore witch regards to mutants and the brotherhood of steel?

^ Top  
  12. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Simple human greed? Access to ALL of their stockpiles of weapons would be one huge motivation for them (as well as the other families).

^ Top  
  13. Vibalist Arcane

Vibalist
    He's obviously trolling.

^ Top  
  14. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Allocate skillpoints to helicopter piloting after levelup.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Indeed. :salute:

^ Top  
  16. The Brazilian Slaughter Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Funny that, old chap.

Because I, despite living in the most geographically isolated (and yet most awesome) region of our fair land, I played Fallout first.

I loved it.

Then my father found me Fallout 2 and I told him to buy it.

I loved it even more.

So what you said is WRONG, at least in my case.
    The whole "Fallout 2 was uncohesive ruined the series wah wah awh" is nothing but filthy revisionism, probrably derivated from guys like Rosh and Vault Dweller.

Fallout 2 is probrably one of the best CRPGs of all time, if not THE best.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
  18. curry Arcane

curry
    You should try harder. Your troll skills suck.

^ Top  
  19. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    It's more like Fallout 2 ruined the Fallout setting. I agree that it's still a one of the best cRPGs that I have ever played, though.

^ Top  
  20. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    I was annoyed that they pussied out on the pure Anti-Americanism of F1. In F2 the pre-war government became weird, stupid late cold war Reagan America, which is like using the safe version of America at its worst as the object of satire and the agent of the apocalypse (and doing stuff like making the vaults into a comedy military-industrial complex Dr. Strangelove thing). In F1 it was relatively sacrosanct WWII/Battle Hymn of the Republic America.

^ Top  
  21. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    "3/10 troll attempt.

Fallout 2 has a pretty meh story but the areas you can explore are interesting. Fallout 1 had a much better story and execution of that story though."

Go cry elsewhere. The story is the fukkin' same as expalined above, fucktard.

^ Top  
  22. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls. Like the tolling of some great bell.

I guess it's that time of the year again. Next week, Arcanum?

^ Top  
  23. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    Not sacred enough. How about Ultimas 7.1 and 7.2 instead?

^ Top  
  24. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    You mean Todd Howard's favourite game and main inspiration?

^ Top  
  25. Quetzacoatl Liturgist

Quetzacoatl
    It's quite odd how shitty devs admire and want to emulate classic games yet the good ones love the garbage churned out these days.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.