Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fallout 2 Mod play through.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Want to play Fallout 2 again, but I also want to spice up the game with some mods and different play styles (if possible).

Any recommendations?

The Brazilian Slaughter

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The full Restoration Project is perfect for a replay. In many cases you'll understand why things were cut, but it adds a lot of cool stuff as well, and in almost every area you'll see a bunch of small additions and tweaks that should keep things fresh.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't forget fallout2tweaks on top of that. And then there are some smaller mods by Lexx you can put in there. Then some updated maps by .Pixote. and then there's a new mod with loads of talking heads and some of them are even voiced if you add yet another mod.

Then there are mods for difficulty and the economy, I think. Everything can be found on nma-fallout.com, I presume.

Fargus

Arcane
Restoration project is a must have. Talking heads mod is good shit and it covers a lot of characters though some of the heads look underwhelming while others actually awesome and feel like the mod author nailed the character look. I also use the voice addon for talking heads, but its not complete and i think needs some time to stew, right now it doesn't cover enough characters to bother installing it. Had some "error" dialogue lines here and there but im not sure to what it can be attributed, could be that Fallout 2 is just fucking with me could be voice addon. There are also annoying memory errors which may happen very often or not happen at all. Old Fallouts just work like shit on modern systems even with all the patching done. So it's something to be expected. I remember having enough problems with replaying Fallout 1 like crashes and quest errors despite the game being a manlet of all fallouts when it comes to gameplay hours.

As for playstyle... You ever played slaver, child killer, berserk, drug addict combo? Be a scumbag to everyone and try to cause as much problems to wastelanders as you can. Always fun. But it was rather lonesome playthrough as i sold Sulik into slavery, tried to rape Miria and had to murder her and her entire family and generally not many companions want anything to do with evil character.

Also you can try a spy-seducer stealth and persuasion build\playstyle. That's what i'm probably going to do next time. RP even gives access to stealthboy in F2 which is kinda cool, always wanted to try a decent stealth build.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Same question, but for Fallout 1, please. I was just about to replay it.

jakkis

Novice
RP was OK for one play through, to see what kind of fan-fiction modders come up with, but these days for a new game I don't bother with it. More isn't always better, most of the added stuff is quite meh. Like I remember someone started copy pasting random shit like jars all over the maps cluttering them up more, why? Kaga is also good for a cringe every time he's met. Tons of ammo/combat mods, all of them broken, just like the base game, just in different ways, etc.

Did like followers getting graphics for wearing armour. But OMG the new talking heads... :prosper:

Modders gonna mod

.Pixote.

Augur
Want to play Fallout 2 again, but I also want to spice up the game with some mods and different play styles (if possible).

Any recommendations? The Brazilian Slaughter

Sorry to repeat this stuff. (Copy and paste, etc).

I don't want to blow my own horn "honk, honk". Everytime someone makes a Fallout 2 / Fallout mod thread I'm going to remind people that there's a new version of the Restoration Project with new maps. Use only one of the file packages, not both at the same time! Most of the changes are subtle and are based on the original artwork.

Can people test these maps for issues - glitches, etc. Hopefully this new version of the RP maps will be used in a future update of RPU, if not then they will be released as a separate mod, either way I'm not fussed.

Now I worked on the RP back in the day and helped Killap with the maps, so I'm fully aware of all the problems regarding the maps, considering I'm the one that made the problems. These new maps address many of the problems, namely the old ones were too busy with 'unnecessary stuff'.

The lighting in a few locations has been altered, so don't worry if things feel different when first encountering them - Gecko Powerplant has a darker interior, same for the Sierra Army Depot, as well as the Military Base (fixing the generator fixes only the elevator, doesn't turn on the lights anymore). Why the changes, because they look so much better - play and see.

The files come in two types. One is the raw files (art, maps, scripts, text, etc) - a lot of the art has been changed, overriding your original files is necessary and its permanent, so make a backup if you're worried. For lovers of files, download and have a look at the stuff. Preferably just use the .dat file, not both. The raw files is for people interested in the changes to the files.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ug46yrv35asu81j/rpu_2.7.rar/file

The second is the RPU.dat file that overrides version 2.6 in the mods folder - again make a backup if you're worried. The RPU.dat has new critters for Cat Jules as well as all the raw files in their proper folders.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/k8z6ojjq4xj1lgn/rpu.rar

Just note if you play with these new maps you're never going back to the original Restoration Project, let alone the vanilla game (unless it's a nostalgia trip). For the best look play the game with the 2x scaling on (get as close to the original resolution look as possible), playing the game at an ungodly resolution looks shit and Tim Cain will curse you.

Now it goes without saying start a new game!

ZFunJDg.jpg

1GKIuZA.jpg

GWteFrW.jpg

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
:necro:

I just finished Fallout 1 with the various patches (not FIXT) and now I wanna play Fallout 2 since I haven't touched it in aeons. Which version of the resoration mod do I use, does it work with those new talking heads? Do I download the talking head voice mod? Can I use FO2tweaks with the newest version of the resto mod? Is there anything else I should add for a fun and fresh Fallout 2 experience? TELL ME! TELL ME NOW!!

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting, probably awful, but I'll try it anyway since I've played FO2 so many times I could do it in my sleep.

Fargus

Arcane
You can always just play with RP and talking heads mod. Companion expansion is still in alpha.

Skdursh

Savant
My Fallout 1 and 2 mods folder is 37GB. If you've already played FO2 to completion you should really give a few of the total conversions a go. Some of them are quite impressive.

Modron

Arcane
My Fallout 1 and 2 mods folder is 37GB. If you've already played FO2 to completion you should really give a few of the total conversion a go. Some of them are quite impressive.
What all do you have in there?

Skdursh

Savant
My Fallout 1 and 2 mods folder is 37GB. If you've already played FO2 to completion you should really give a few of the total conversion a go. Some of them are quite impressive.
What all do you have in there?
Too many to list them all, but here's a few - the ones I've played (but not necessarily fully completely) will have a [✓]:

Dangerous Quest [✓]
Nevada [✓]
Sonora [✓]
FOnline [✓]
Mutants Rising
Olympus 2207 [✓]
Resurrection [✓]
Shattered Destiny
Yesterday [✓]
Last Hope
Living Dead
Story of the Jackal [✓]
Dominion
Oblivion Lost
Paris
Wasteland Merc 1 & 2 [✓]
13V
Restoration Project [✓]
Fixt [✓]
Cassidy Head
Megamod [✓]
Black Steel
Easter Special
Fallout Wars
New Vision
Survivor

Also have a bunch of Fallout Tactics mods, but I haven't played many of them besides Nous Aurons and Enclave and haven't completed either.

agris

Arcane
Patron
There's an sfall tweak that lets you throw grenades arbitrarily, it makes them a lot more deadly and the enemies will do it too. I recommend it.

edit: as in, at the ground around targets or targets themselves. vanilla behavior is you can only throw them at NPCs.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Restoration Patch Project.
Even adds a talking head to Cassidy, which is really cool, among many, many other stuff.
It's probably worth it to play the updated RP at least once to see what it's all about, but it's actually not very good. There's lots of small, arbitrary map changes (adding F2 style navajo pots everywhere), and the new maps like the EPA aren't very good. They don't really build on the Fallout formula, and some quests feel very much like mod content. More Nevada-ish in that they emphasize the adventure game elements of Fallout more (combine items, use skills on items).

It's different, a labor of love clearly - but if I were going to replay FO2 for the Nth time I'd either play Fallout 1 EtTu with some of the optional content enabled, or 1.5 Resurrection.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How I'm currently playing it (F1). No mods, just the 1.35 patch and a CRT shader.

Highres mods are there to dumb your brain down. Don't use them, don't do it to yourself.

I have no idea how to play it with shaders with an easier setup than mine. Mine is a bit convoluted: Steam -> RetroArch -> DosBox -> Win98 -> Fallout. Works perfectly though. Notice how good the console font looks.

61b0f950924322890273d7597db37af5.png

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
throwing only,
This is what I went with on this playthrough, but soon reconsidered. The throwing knives fly away to god knows where when you miss. I can't find them. But I'm also playing without item highlight, so maybe they're retrievable, they're just below some other textures.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
throwing only,
This is what I went with on this playthrough, but soon reconsidered. The throwing knives fly away to god knows where when you miss. I can't find them. But I'm also playing without item highlight, so maybe they're retrievable, they're just below some other textures.
Throwing build is not the easiest one. Requires some meta and gaming

EldarEldrad

Savant
How I'm currently playing it (F1). No mods, just the 1.35 patch and a CRT shader.

Highres mods are there to dumb your brain down. Don't use them, don't do it to yourself.

I have no idea how to play it with shaders with an easier setup than mine. Mine is a bit convoluted: Steam -> RetroArch -> DosBox -> Win98 -> Fallout. Works perfectly though. Notice how good the console font looks.

61b0f950924322890273d7597db37af5.png
Does it really looks good full screen on modern displays? Image looks good by itself, but wide screen can spoil all magic I guess.

Ryzer

Arcane
throwing only,
Throwing build is not the easiest one. Requires some meta and gaming
Maxing out Luck for money might be a must have though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom