Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lemming42

Arcane
This "What if it took place in a single vault" discussion is funny considering concepts like that already exist in the form of Dead Money and Old World Blues.

They were parts of the overall game of Fallout: New Vegas, though. Not sure if I'd buy a Fallout game that took place entirely in a single vault.

Although:
I dont think anyone is talking about a true dungeon crawler but a RPG set in underground with freedom of exploration of Vault and caves. Imagine that world is actually in much worse state then being thought and going to the surface is out of question, the vault becomes too small and people are forced to expand to caves around vault. Imagine game like Arx Fatalis meets System Shock, where factions will be groups in vault who have different visions of how to live and expand and being part of their politics.

I like this idea. I also liked Battlespire (even if the time taken to get it to work on DOSBox was longer than the game itself), so I can see how it might work.

karfhud

Augur
I dont think anyone is talking about a true dungeon crawler but a RPG set in underground with freedom of exploration of Vault and caves. Imagine that world is actually in much worse state then being thought and going to the surface is out of question, the vault becomes too small and people are forced to expand to caves around vault. Imagine game like Arx Fatalis meets System Shock, where factions will be groups in vault who have different visions of how to live and expand and being part of their politics.

Underground shanty towns... hells yeah. I was actually playing around with a short story idea: set in a post-apocalyptic world, a man accidentally finds his way into an entire city built underground. And they're not used to visitors. Gotta work on it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Underground shanty towns... hells yeah. I was actually playing around with a short story idea: set in a post-apocalyptic world, a man accidentally finds his way into an entire city built underground. And they're not used to visitors. Gotta work on it.
http://www.underrail.com/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They were parts of the overall game of Fallout: New Vegas, though. Not sure if I'd buy a Fallout game that took place entirely in a single vault.
They were both relatively stand-alone and had 5-10 hours of gameplay each, like a SS-style Fallout game would if they were combined.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

Or perhaps linking several Vaults together and turning them against each other, as part of the great experiment. Rip off Snowpiercer, but do it right.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Or perhaps linking several Vaults together and turning them against each other, as part of the great experiment. Rip off Snowpiercer, but do it right.

Vaults are enclosed environments designed to protect against nuclear explosions. How do you "link" them?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Yeah, thanks.

When were those tunnels built, by whom, for what purpose, using what tools?

Tunnels built by the vault builders, for the social experiment.

http://fallout.gamepedia.com/Vault

the real reason for the existence of these vaults was to run social experiments on pre-selected segments of the population to see how they react to the stresses of experimentation in isolation and how successfully they recolonize Earth after the vault opens.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, thanks.

When were those tunnels built, by whom, for what purpose, using what tools?

China_Tunnel_boring_machine20107231558324.jpg

When, who and why can be a matter for the writers.

It's a stupid idea imo.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I likef the idea of thode vaults as simlly bunkers built incase a nuclear war starts more. That whole "omfg social experiments" twist is derpy and leads to the vaults being very gimmicky shit. "Ah its that vault were they do xy, I see" :roll:

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I likef the idea of thode vaults as simlly bunkers built incase a nuclear war starts more. That whole "omfg social experiments" twist is derpy and leads to the vaults being very gimmicky shit. "Ah its that vault were they do xy, I see" :roll:

I liked it because it was such a shitty thing to do. Just when the vault dwellers thought they had reached safety, they were thrown to the wolves. Of course it all depends on who is designing it.

Lemming42

Arcane
I liked the idea that the vaults were to test how humans would react to space travel/colonization, but that idea was never really used to it's full effect since most of the vaults are either misfired attempts at dark comedy or too bizarre to make sense.

Something along the lines of Ultima Underworld would probably be easier to visualize.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The "vaults are a social experiment" thing is utterly retarded. The worst thing to come out of Fallout 2 IMO. Thankfully it's barely referenced in new Vegas so you can play the game and only think of the vaults as nuclear shelters.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

Something along the lines of Ultima Underworld would probably be easier to visualize.

They could make the tunnels part of the plot. Suppose the walls of Vault 333 are suddenly pierced by a mutated giant mole or a haywire robo-mole. Once the intrusion has been dealt with, an expedition/lone explorer is sent into the tunnels left by the mole where they/he discovers that there's now a vast network of tunnels that connect other vault, military bunkers, pre war sewers/subways/mines and natural caves. The inhabitants of many of these places, both humans and other creatures have begun to expand along the tunnels, creating both conflicts and opportunities. Can the hero(es) neutralize the mole threat while navigating this dangerous and twisted underground society?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The "vaults are a social experiment" thing is utterly retarded. The worst thing to come out of Fallout 2 IMO.

Where is it said it came from Fallout 2? Were vault effects such as Necropolis and V15, explained as accidents in Fallout 1?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The "vaults are a social experiment" thing is utterly retarded. The worst thing to come out of Fallout 2 IMO.

Where is it said it came from Fallout 2? Were vault effects such as Necropolis and V15, explained as accidents in Fallout 1?

There's not even a hint about those event being deliberately planned. And since the only information we have on those vaults being involved in the experiment comes from the Fallout Bible written by MCA, who didn't even work on Fallout 1, I'm assuming that the experiment and related elements like the Enclave were retconned in with Fallout 2.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I always thought the experiments were dumb plot devices.
I just liked the idea in FO1 that the V13 overseer was paranoid and a bit power hungry.
Shit, after the first generation where the original overseer died, why continue with the charade bullshit?
Probably would be that most overseers took their orders from the computers or some shit.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The lack of party control hurts Fallout's combat more than anything else. Still, it manages to be pretty enjoyable in spite of its flaws.

Hi, my name is Vic. Let me just step in front of you there, Cassidy, good buddy!

Sure, no problem Vic. Just so you know, I'm going to be using this shotgun in burst mode, probably on that guy right in front of you.

Oh, no problem. Fire away! I'm sure I'll be fine.

Thanks!

You're welcome!

GAME OVER

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I love the experiment thing, and stuff like the blue versus red Vault in New Vegas is great. I love social commentary in general, really. It's not realistic, but neither is Fallout.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
There's not even a hint about those event being deliberately planned. And since the only information we have on those vaults being involved in the experiment comes from the Fallout Bible written by MCA, who didn't even work on Fallout 1, I'm assuming that the experiment and related elements like the Enclave were retconned in with Fallout 2.

I guess we will only know for sure if Tim Cain says something.

Another possibility is they thought it would look silly, if so many Vaults had unintended problems, since it was hardly a game about technological incompetence. You can't say they could build computer AI and reliable energy weapons and then say, doors that close properly was too difficult to master.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom