Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lemming42

Arcane
Where is it said it came from Fallout 2?

The Vault 8 main computer is the first mention of it I think, where you pass a science check and access some hidden file that details the experiment.

I really doubt they were thinking of it in Fallout 1 since Vault 13 and Vault 15 both worked more or less normally, and Vault 12's shitty door is a believable enough malfunction to not be part of a Grand Sinister Experiment.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

The Vault 8 main computer is the first mention of it I think, where you pass a science check and access some hidden file that details the experiment.

I really doubt they were thinking of it in Fallout 1 since Vault 13 and Vault 15 both worked more or less normally, and Vault 12's shitty door is a believable enough malfunction to not be part of a Grand Sinister Experiment.

Haven't played Fallout in a long time, but my first impression of Vault 15 was it looked like the SHTF inside. And an outside door that doesn't keep radiation out would be missed? You would think that would be the first thing you would want to get right, if you wanted a viable shelter.

Now imagine every vault where they wanted it to be interesting, they explained it as technical incompetence. Fallout 2, 3 and 4, etc. People would think it was pretty dumb for the reason I mentioned above. Well at least I would.

As for "scientists", some can be real tools. This one for instance, doesn't know the difference between right and wrong.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ge-tribe-and-leaving-technology-behind.91928/

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Haven't played Fallout in a long time, but my first impression of Vault 15 was it looked like the SHTF inside. And an outside door that doesn't keep radiation out would be missed? You would think that would be the first thing you would want to get right, if you wanted a viable shelter.
Have you actually looked at a vault door? There's so many things that could go wrong with that rolling cog design that it's amazing more vaults didn't fail. And people starting to fight when bunched up in tight quarters is hardly unusual.

Modron

Arcane
They could make the tunnels part of the plot. Suppose the walls of Vault 333 are suddenly pierced by a mutated giant mole or a haywire robo-mole. Once the intrusion has been dealt with, an expedition/lone explorer is sent into the tunnels left by the mole where they/he discovers that there's now a vast network of tunnels that connect other vault, military bunkers, pre war sewers/subways/mines and natural caves. The inhabitants of many of these places, both humans and other creatures have begun to expand along the tunnels, creating both conflicts and opportunities. Can the hero(es) neutralize the mole threat while navigating this dangerous and twisted underground society?

If Bethesda took this idea they would probably take the easy way out and base the game in Chicago (why Chicago? In relatively recent years they dug 10 square miles of tunnels to augment preexisting naturally ocurring ones which dealt with runoff IIRC) and tunnels would just become bethesda's samey subways into the downtown city in order to section up the game so consoles could handle the load.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault#Behind_the_scenes
The vault experiment was an idea created by Tim Cain during the initial stages of Fallout 2 development.
Post-hoc retcons: Vault 13 was a "What if we had a failing water chip vault?" Vault 15 was a "What if we had a vault filled with diverse cultures?" and Vault 12 was a "What if we had a malfunctioning door vault?"

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault#Behind_the_scenes
The vault experiment was an idea created by Tim Cain during the initial stages of Fallout 2 development.
Post-hoc retcons: Vault 13 was a "What if we had a failing water chip vault?" Vault 15 was a "What if we had a vault filled with diverse cultures?" and Vault 12 was a "What if we had a malfunctioning door vault?"

You make it sound like retcons are inherently a bad literary device.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not necessarily, just saying how they fit into Tim Cain's mad plan. I don't really care about the purpose of the vaults.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My only problem with the experiments is that all Overseers aparently go through with it, and never say screw it and ignore the experiment entirely.

Yeah, I always thought this was silly. Even if you could really ensure the original ones were so loyal to the company they would put up with their shit, eventually we're talking about descendants.

If anything the descendants would probably be even more loyal, being born into that situation instead of simply being hired to do it.

As for ignoring it, most vaults were designed to cause some degree of harm to everyone inside - including the overseer - so it's not always a matter of choice.

On a side note, Tim Cain wanted to ruin FO1's ending.

The player was also intended to apply his Science skill to the central computer in Vault 13 to obtain a history of Vault 13, the Overseer's involvement in the Vault Dweller's expulsion, and even worse, the true purposes of the Vaults. The Overseer was conscious of the true purpose of the Vaults as social experiments on a grand scale, and consequently drove out the Vault Dweller because of fear he would ruin the experiment... or uncover it.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Have you actually looked at a vault door? There's so many things that could go wrong with that rolling cog design that it's amazing more vaults didn't fail. And people starting to fight when bunched up in tight quarters is hardly unusual.

Bet that door was a lot simpler than artificial intelligence, or energy weapons. ;) A door that doesn't close properly on a bunker, is like a ship that doesn't float. Its kind of silly when you see a ship sink on launch. Also a door would be tested a lot during the construction of the bunker, since it is the entrance and airlock.

So like I said having that level of tech, combined with Keystone Kops level of buffoonery is not convincing to me. That civilization was on the way up, when it was taken down. It wasn't declining into idiocracy. If it was, that would be the running joke in Fallout.

Tharkin2

Savant
I had thought the experiments were designed to give people a push to leave the vault eventually.You learn something new every day.

On a side note, Tim Cain wanted to ruin FO1's ending.

The player was also intended to apply his Science skill to the central computer in Vault 13 to obtain a history of Vault 13, the Overseer's involvement in the Vault Dweller's expulsion, and even worse, the true purposes of the Vaults. The Overseer was conscious of the true purpose of the Vaults as social experiments on a grand scale, and consequently drove out the Vault Dweller because of fear he would ruin the experiment... or uncover it.
I don't really see how that ruins it. The overseer makes it clear that the things you've seen endanger the vault. The social experiment angle just adds another layer to it.

The ending is memorable because the hero spent the entire adventure hoping to complete his mission so he can return home, only to be told that his success means he's now a threat to the safety of the people he was trying to protect. The kicker? It's probably true.

It's a great, bittersweet ending that makes perfect sense and wraps up the story nicely. Adding the experiments on top of that ruins the "feel", for lack of a better word.

"You saved us, but your presence would endanger the vault's way of life. You have our thanks, but you have to go." - touching, even if you dislike him you can understand the overseer's point.

"You saved us, but your presence would endanger my master plan. I'll take the chip, now git outta here. Mwahahaha!" *twirls moustache* - retarded, the overseer boots you out because of some evul experimentz nobody cares about anymore.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
"You saved us, but your presence would endanger my master plan. I'll take the chip, now git outta here. Mwahahaha!" *twirls moustache* - retarded, the overseer boots you out because of some evul experimentz nobody cares about anymore.
.. and this is what he should get for that:

wl23h0.gif

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I don't really see how that ruins it. The overseer makes it clear that the things you've seen endanger the vault. The social experiment angle just adds another layer to it.

I think it would have been better if they did it but not mention it, until a much later sequel, if at all. Just keep putting bugs in the Vaults and let the players figure it out in the forums.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It might be an Xbox One and Windows exclusive. I doubt they would exclude the PC for this series, and Microsoft are talking about being more into the PC lately.

Also likely bullshit anyway because the game ain't coming out this year.

Mods can't fix it anymore.

:hearnoevil:

It might be an Xbox One and Windows exclusive. I doubt they would exclude the PC for this series, and Microsoft are talking about being more into the PC lately.

Also likely bullshit anyway because the game ain't coming out this year.

Yeah Xbox One Console exclusive sounds more truthful. Bethesda would be absolutely retarded to not release it on PC or at least they should be paid pretty handsomely to make it worth it.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
What possible reason would Bethsoft have to lock themselves into an exclusive deal? What benefit is there, to them? They don't need Microsoft's money, and FO3 sold almost the same amount on PS3 as on the 360. Why lock out half of their potential sales?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom