Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually I could imagine a game in the Fallout setting in a vault only.
But not really as an RPG. Probably an adventure game, like the episodic Telltale games, or Consortium.

Or a Penumbra-like horror game. That would also be nice.

If it had to be an RPG, it would indeed have to be more like System Shock. Which would mean that someone should come up with more interesting themes in a vault.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
When guys like shihonage refuse to accept any change in the series (which I know from previous debates he does, whether he says it or not) they basically set themselves up to never be satisfied.

This strawman remains your only refuge against a position supported by logic and explained in so many ways.

Here it is yet again: there's a difference between building on a good design (Van Buren) and throwing the baby out with bathwater (Fallout 3).

As Fallout 2 and Arcanum prove, even if 3D never happened developers would try new things rather than just making Fallout again. Same thing with the Kickstarter incline, those who refuse to accept the new games won't be carbon copies will be the most disappointed.

Yeah man I just want a carbon copy of Fallout. That's why for the majority of its life my Fallout-inspired isometric RPG project's setting has been "a distant planet", and it used PwRT combat.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a question for the people who consider New Vegas to be a poor game because it's "bandaiding Bethesda's shit". I mean, that seems like a very strange remark to make.

Does that mean that you're acknowledging that, theoretically, there could be a NON-Bethesda first person action-RPG Fallout that was a good Fallout game?

I remember when I first played Half-Life 2 a few years back.
I thought to myself, 'if only Valve made fallout 3, the game would look good, have tasteful art direction, good animations, perform well, not crash every 15 minutes, and the gameplay wouldn't be utter shit".

I'm confident a good first person fallout can be made, New Vegas isn't it for reasons that are entirely the fault of Bethesda's tech and assets.
If Obsidian didn't have to build on that quagmire of shit, and had enough time to refine and polish their content, I'm certain New Vegas would've easily been comparable to the original 2 Fallouts in scope and quality, if not exceed them in places.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This "What if it took place in a single vault" discussion is funny considering concepts like that already exist in the form of Dead Money and Old World Blues.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What does that have to do with anything?

He's acting like the radical change Fallout 3 made is what irks him, yet I know he dislikes Fallout 2, which was an incredibly similar game to the original. Don't speak for others anyway... off with you!

What is that exactly? Could you please enlighten me? Specifically what Bethesda and Obsidian did.

Not sure what you're asking for here. Fallout 1-New Vegas are about a lot more than just Vault diving. I said why you would limit a sequel to just the Vault diving part would be beyond my comprehension. Now you're asking me what Obsidian "did." Did with what?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Why take all that Fallout is and can be and limit it to one Vault is beyond me.

Developers should try new things rather than just making Fallout again.

Yeah man I just want a carbon copy of Fallout. That's why for the majority of its life my Fallout-inspired isometric RPG project's setting has been "a distant planet", and it used PwRT combat.

Would be interested to see how much a video like that would raise on Kickstarter.

Yeah Vault 34 was fun. Now imagine an entire game taking place in a huge Vault.
A post-apocalyptic dungeon vault crawler would really be pretty cool.

I'd fucking play it.

A huge underground city that fell into anarchy long ago, might be interesting. Kind of cliche, but hey...

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After Daggerfall Bethesda made Battlespire a pure dungeon crawler and many TES fans felt betrayed because they wanted another open world game and dismissed it without a second thought. Those who gave it a chance found it was a great game and well worth playing, what made it great was focus and refining elements that were underdeveloped in other TES games. So a Fallout spin off set in a underground complex might be great because you could focus on different things then you would on a open world game and thus creating something unique and great in its own way.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Next time there is a thread with 100 pages of butt-hurt because a sequel is not enough like the previous games in the series I am going to remember this fucking thread. "Let's make this open world, dialog heavy choice and consequence RPG into a dungeon crawler YEAH!"

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Next time there is a thread with 100 pages of butt-hurt because a sequel is not enough like the previous games in the series I am going to remember this fucking thread. "Let's make this open world, dialog heavy choice and consequence RPG into a dungeon crawler YEAH!"

So you think a game thats not open world cant be dialog heavy with choices and consequences?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So you think a game thats not open world cant be dialog heavy with choices and consequences?

I think towns, the wasteland, plus seeing how post-apocalypse American society is coping and progressing are very important parts of a Fallout game. I think it's amusing that people who normally scream bloody murder about change are arguing for turning Fallout into System Shock.

The irony here is if they made a System Shock style Fallout game I would be one of the few people on this website who gave it a chance.

karfhud

Augur

:notsureifserious:

I reckon he just made a sarcastic shortcut. I reckon you're well aware of it as well.

One of the core characteristics of the Fallout series is exploration, that's why turning it into a dungeon-crawler wouldn't really work for me. What could turn out okay is expanding vault exploration; rather than putting in a gazillion of copy-paste vaults, there could be fewer, but much, much larger in terms of size, mob diversity and plot.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
I think towns, the wasteland, plus seeing how post-apocalypse American society is coping and progressing are very important parts of a Fallout game. I think it's amusing that people who normally scream bloody murder about change are arguing for turning Fallout into System Shock.

I agree about the world and its importance for the setting and people are right to bitch about sequels being changed gameplay wise. But in a case of a spin off why not try something different, it just might be good in its own way even if other Fallout spin offs werent really great.

One of the core characteristics of the Fallout series is exploration, that's why turning it into a dungeon-crawler wouldn't really work for me. What could turn out okay is expanding vault exploration; rather than putting in a gazillion of copy-paste vaults, there could be fewer, but much, much larger in terms of size, mob diversity and plot.

I dont think anyone is talking about a true dungeon crawler but a RPG set in underground with freedom of exploration of Vault and caves. Imagine that world is actually in much worse state then being thought and going to the surface is out of question, the vault becomes too small and people are forced to expand to caves around vault. Imagine game like Arx Fatalis meets System Shock, where factions will be groups in vault who have different visions of how to live and expand and being part of their politics.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree about the world and its importance for the setting and people are right to bitch about sequels being changed gameplay wise. But in a case of a spin off why not try something different, it just might be good in its own way even if other Fallout spin offs werent really great.

I could agree with that. Assuming it's a good game in its own right, I would give it every chance. A lot of people wouldn't, though.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron

I could agree with that. Assuming it's a good game in its own right, I would give it every chance. A lot of people wouldn't, though.

Like Battlespire it maybe wouldnt be a major hit and it would disappoint many fans but It could be a genuine great game and a great experience for those who gave it a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom