Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm not complaining about the scale, I'm complaining about the lack of large explorable locations/dungeons. The problem with the NV map wasn't that it was small, it was too empty for my tastes.

Well what kind of dungeons would you have preferred to be there? More caves? Bigger sewer network? More industrial facilities?

Anything. I want to play them, not design them.

Mods do not factor when I give my opinion of games. Plus, most new location mods are just new fucking houses I don't actually need because Lucky 38 suits me just fine.

There are mods on the Nexus that add locations to the west of the map, IIRC one is called "Beyond the Borders". If you don't think mods add what you're looking for, then by all means, play Fallout 3 instead.

I haven't played either in a long while. If I start again it'll likely be to finish the NV DLCs (only finished honest hearts, and my Dead Money save appears to be gone which killed all desire to continue right now since dead money was shit and I don't want to replay it) then put both games out to pasture for good.

Endemic

Arcane
I haven't played either in a long while. If I start again it'll likely be to finish the NV DLCs (only finished honest hearts, and my Dead Money save appears to be gone which killed all desire to continue right now since dead money was shit and I don't want to replay it) then put both games out to pasture for good.

Fair enough. No point spending time on something you don't like, you've played the game to some degree before giving your take on it after all. I appreciate that we've been able to have a reasonable discussion (I used to lurk here a lot and think some of the complaints about the Codex are unjustified - well, maybe Skyway is still a prick :P ).

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Men. I think I am going to spend some years in prison. I want to teach prisoner's philosophy of atheism and enlightenment. I am going to send in drone strikes to entertain them and convert them to my beliefs. Once I can convince them all to remain in prison, I will one day kidnap them and use them as shooting targets for new super weapons. I call this revolutionary practice herding sky ship. Imagine If I could teach everyone at Pelican Bay hard sciences and like they start inventing things for me. We can take back from our justice system the criminals. They willl all say no to the early release out of protest. They are awesome.

Even the illusion that someone or something is like you, you will die for. I think it will be an ok thing to cause disorder for years. Giant craft should be appearing over cities. Maybe giant holograms of the four horsemen can dance around. Yes. Heck even fallout could be benefited.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Obsidian is making Fallout 4 and it has revealed box art !

6yjcqc.png

even though I liked FO3 better.

:what:

EDIT:

The problem with the NV map wasn't that it was small, it was too empty for my tastes.

Even with most of it being small shacks/landmarks/etc., it's still like 2 times more locations than FO3.

Maybe the "actual" dungeons weren't as long as Bethesda's multi-leveled corridors from FO3/Skyrim, but they were more akin to Morrowind - shorter, but more unique. Awful lots of Campgronds/Relay Stations/Broadcast Towers in DC, too.

Also, the whole Washington area was artificially dissected linear dungeon.

MapaMojave.jpg

VS.

fallout%203%20map%20complete.jpg

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
^^^^ It's pointless arguing with FO3 fans, I've tried.

If you're lucky, they stare at the ground when they realise they love a game that treats them like a retard.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's worth mentioning that New Vegas used its locations for a lot more. Almost every single one was related to a quest or something, if not several, and even if individually some places were smaller, it was made up for in actual gameplay content. Meanwhile Fallout 3 had tons of places with one single NPC to talk to, a bunch of dungeons of which only a handful had any quests (journal or non-journal), etc. Many of them were just a single burned-out building with nothing in it but generic mobs, or cave dungeons with nothing in them but monsters, etc., and it seems like they were included just so the player would have some sort of fast travel point.

It was hardly a small game by any means, and I thought some areas were well done (at least visually), but I'd say in terms of actual gameplay content New Vegas probably has twice as many. It took me something ridiculous like 80-100 hours to complete every quest I could in New Vegas, Fallout 3 I think I finished in about 35-40 at most... sure you can get more out of it if you explore every single possible location, make sure you've got every random encounter, etc.

I do think one thing Fallout 3 might have going for it is that after the tutorial, it feels like a much bigger, open world. New Vegas had more artificial barriers and walls, the desert was more corridor-like in the early parts, and it felt much more linear and guided early on just in terms of where you could safely travel. I can see why some would feel the game is smaller, especially if they just rushed through to Vegas. There are so many quests to find and random NPCs to talk to that are so easy to skip by and miss if you aren't paying attention, whereas Fallout 3 shoved most of its content in players' faces (i.e. enter an area, NEW QUEST), that I can understand why it'd feel like a bigger game to some.

Endemic

Arcane
New Vegas had more artificial barriers and walls, the desert was more corridor-like in the early parts, and it felt much more linear and guided early on just in terms of where you could safely travel. I can see why some would feel the game is smaller, especially if they just rushed through to Vegas. There are so many quests to find and random NPCs to talk to that are so easy to skip by and miss if you aren't paying attention, whereas Fallout 3 shoved most of its content in players' faces (i.e. enter an area, NEW QUEST), that I can understand why it'd feel like a bigger game to some.

There are a few Cazadores in the way north of Goodsprings, but you can bypass them and cut around the east of Black Mountain to reach Vegas. Granted, some trial and error would be required, but you can still skip finding clues and head straight for the Strip. I ignored the main quest directions though and started exploring near places like Searchlight and Nelson before getting around to NV and its suburbs. You get warned by NPCs if you're walking toward a dangerous settlement for the most part (the radiation from the Legion sabotage at Searchlight kills an unprotected Courier in about 2 minutes if you try to explore it). I liked the fact most locations were modelled after their real life counterparts. Even the ones that aren't have an indirect connection (Camp Forlorn Hope at the site of Forlorn Springs, Jacobstown at Mt Charleston).

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
There are a few Cazadores in the way north of Goodsprings, but you can bypass them and cut around the east of Black Mountain to reach Vegas. Granted, some trial and error would be required, but you can still skip finding clues and head straight for the Strip. I ignored the main quest directions though and started exploring near places like Searchlight and Nelson before getting around to NV and its suburbs. You get warned by NPCs if you're walking toward a dangerous settlement for the most part (the radiation from the Legion sabotage at Searchlight kills an unprotected Courier in about 2 minutes if you try to explore it). I liked the fact most locations were modelled after their real life counterparts. Even the ones that aren't have an indirect connection (Camp Forlorn Hope at the site of Forlorn Springs, Jacobstown at Mt Charleston).

I just sneaked my way through deathclaw country. Wanted to get the Int implant before I gained a single level on my mad scientist playthrough.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
even though I liked FO3 better.

:what:

EDIT:

The problem with the NV map wasn't that it was small, it was too empty for my tastes.

Even with most of it being small shacks/landmarks/etc., it's still like 2 times more locations than FO3.

Untrue. NV has 187 map markers. FO3 has 163.

Maybe the "actual" dungeons weren't as long as Bethesda's multi-leveled corridors from FO3/Skyrim, but they were more akin to Morrowind - shorter, but more unique. Awful lots of Campgronds/Relay Stations/Broadcast Towers in DC, too.

No, many of the actual dungeons were similar in size to FO3's. There just weren't anywhere near as many.

Also, the whole Washington area was artificially dissected linear dungeon.

Yes, it was one giant dungeon with subdungeons sprinkled around it, which still beats New Vegas if dungeon crawling's what you're looking for. NV is by far the better storyfag game. If you're looking for characters and interesting quests/story it's the better game. I just don't care about that shit as much as everyone else here does, I want dungeons to blast/hack my way through. One other thing I liked better about FO3 was the ambient atmosphere. FO3 was desolate, with small scattered groups of people barely able to survive, which is what I like to see in a post-apocalyptic game. It would have made the main story more meaningful too if it wasn't so badly written. NV was typical grad lit shit and Sawyer's post-post apocalyptic study of the nature of man ruined the atmosphere.

Endemic

Arcane
One other thing I liked better about FO3 was the ambient atmosphere. FO3 was desolate, with small scattered groups of people barely able to survive, which is what I like to see in a post-apocalyptic game. It would have made the main story more meaningful too if it wasn't so badly written.

How did they survive, anyway? I don't see many food sources on the FO3 map. Plus pretty much all of the water is irradiated. That doesn't make much sense, especially 200 years after the war. If you want a real life example, Hiroshima was rebuilt in about 10-15 years and is now an important city. Now I know society as a whole has been destroyed in Fallout, and they lack the equipment to rebuild that quickly, which is fair enough. However, Fallout 1's wasteland is a lot more developed, places like the Hub(Barstow) and Junktown even have their own police force, and the only heavily irradiated location is the Glow. There's trade, currency, small scale manufacturing, Shady Sands is fledging but gets by (it's problems are external: the wandering radscorpions and raiders). There's enough life going on that I doubted the need for the Master's Unity. The FOTA seemed to agree with me, and their spy in the Cathedral was considered important enough by the devs to have voiced dialogue.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yes, it was one giant dungeon with subdungeons sprinkled around it, which still beats New Vegas if dungeon crawling's what you're looking for. NV is by far the better storyfag game. If you're looking for characters and interesting quests/story it's the better game. I just don't care about that shit as much as everyone else here does, I want dungeons to blast/hack my way through. One other thing I liked better about FO3 was the ambient atmosphere. FO3 was desolate, with small scattered groups of people barely able to survive, which is what I like to see in a post-apocalyptic game. It would have made the main story more meaningful too if it wasn't so badly written. NV was typical grad lit shit and Sawyer's post-post apocalyptic study of the nature of man ruined the atmosphere.

:notsureifserious:

Mastermind doesn't care, he just wants to blast through dungeons. :patriot:

I guess.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
One other thing I liked better about FO3 was the ambient atmosphere. FO3 was desolate, with small scattered groups of people barely able to survive, which is what I like to see in a post-apocalyptic game. It would have made the main story more meaningful too if it wasn't so badly written.

How did they survive, anyway?

I recall a lot of brahmin herding, and I believe the bigger settlements had some small scale farming too. Infinitron is right though, I don't care, but not because I just want to blast through dungeons. I can do that in a post-post apocalyptic game too. I don't care because I prefer desolate, desperate post-apocalyptic settings to one where people are rebuilding societies, even if it ruins my immershun if I go full 'sperg on it.

How did they survive, anyway? I don't see many food sources on the FO3 map. Plus pretty much all of the water is irradiated. That doesn't make much sense, especially 200 years after the war. If you want a real life example, Hiroshima was rebuilt in about 10-15 years and is now an important city.

Radiation in Fallout's world turns ants into man-eating monsters, so I find it funny how people expect it to behave realistically in areas such as duration and behavior ("Green fumes coming out of a radiated lake? That's silly! "*dodges radscorpion's sting* ).

FO3 was desolate, with small scattered groups of people barely able to survive, which is what I like to see in a post-apocalyptic game.

Most of that was just implausible vision of apocalyptic societies where everyone is either a raider or a settler that is unable to grow crops; yet had time to dress as superheroes and join android emancipation societies; so it didn't really matter.

Clockwork Knight said:
Radiation in Fallout's world turns ants into man-eating monsters, so I find it funny how people expect it to behave realistically in areas such as duration and behavior

It's one thing to be fiction with suspension of disbelief etc. and another to be mind-numbingly retarded, especially since it comes out of writers' not giving a fuck.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
writers' not giving a fuck.

Sums up FO3's problems I think.

Hollywood discovered that having top notch visuals and a REALLY shitty story that didn't make anyone feel stupid was a recipe for success.

I don't think the lameness of FO3 was accidental at all.

Edit: Meaning that Zenimax ACTIVELY sabotaged the quality, not incidentally.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
AT this point I am do desperate I might patent one of bethesda's glitches I(maybe that one where things flop around) and then get me some millions.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Todd Howard is always selling his games as the biggest and "Craziest" one yet.

I think we just found your selling point for that multiplayer position crojipjip.

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
Todd Howard is always selling his games as the biggest and "Craziest" one yet.

I think we just found your selling point for that multiplayer position crojipjip.

I tried both BGS and their MMO division. Nothing ever came of it. I don't even have my code or binaries anymore. The good news Is I have something bethesda may pay big bucks for.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Getting thread on-topic gents

IGN blogging on
'What to expect from Fallout 4'

We all know it's coming sooner or later. I'm going to make a few educated guesses as to what exactly we can expect from Bethesda's next post-nuclear wasteland RPG.

Dual wield, huge maps, etc
There's no way Bethesda would backtrack from the features they've added to Skyrim. You can expect these to make a return in Fallout 4, which would be pretty interesting given the context. Fatman and Tesla Canon combo, anyone?

It will run better on Microsoft's platform

It will get hundreds of Game of the Year awards, even if it were just a blank disc with Bethesda's name on it
This is self explanatory - I don't even need to elaborate on this.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/hypernova1024/2012/09/21/what-to-expect-from-fallout-4

:troll:

Will Fallout 4 Be Set in Boston?

Rumors suggest the franchise is headed to The Commonwealth.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/08/20/will-fallout-4-be-set-in-boston-2

commonwealth-610x343.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom