Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
If Beth ever gave skyrim engine to Obsidian, I'd be interested on checking out what they could do. honestly, MCA in TES universe... wow. Just wow.
In contrast what Todd & Co are doing now..a shameful waste of IP.

Exactly. The Elder Scrolls lore and universe in fantastic in places, but Bethesda themselves do absolutely nothing with it. All they do is make pretty sandbox games hiking simulators set in Tamriel and retcon a few more aspects of the lore with each game. Although Skyrim wasn't nearly as bad as Oblivion in that regard.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The Brazilian Slaughter I got the impression that the Super Mutants in FO3 were part of a quest that was cut from the game. There were some hints that they were looking for something in DC, but it was never followed up on.

Yes, it was clear there was something missing there. That's why I think the original villains were the Super Mutants, not the Enclave. There was virtually no foreshadowing of the Enclave, closest thing are the robots spouting radio propaganda that for all we know may be just a bunch of left-over enclave shit on automatic or Enclave is only side-villain (Think Elijah). Nobody even breathes a word about Enclave. They just drop the Enclave on Project Purity.

That's the Pagliarulo Specialty™; retarded plot twists with little to no prior foreshadowing. See: just about every guild questline in Skyrim.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
and even then it was clear being ruled by Caesar beat living in a chaotic wasteland full of roving marauders.

Only for a handful of people who still had to fear having Caesar turning them into beasts of burden. I'd rather take my chances with disorganized raider bands than a well organized army of sadistic psychopaths.

The Brazilian Slaughter I got the impression that the Super Mutants in FO3 were part of a quest that was cut from the game. There were some hints that they were looking for something in DC, but it was never followed up on.

Yes, it was clear there was something missing there. That's why I think the original villains were the Super Mutants, not the Enclave. There was virtually no foreshadowing of the Enclave, closest thing are the robots spouting radio propaganda that for all we know may be just a bunch of left-over enclave shit on automatic or Enclave is only side-villain (Think Elijah). Nobody even breathes a word about Enclave. They just drop the Enclave on Project Purity.

That's the Pagliarulo Specialty™; retarded plot twists with little to no prior foreshadowing. See: just about every guild questline in Skyrim.

Wait, this motherfucker is still on their payroll? Because I've noticed an incline in Skyrim's writing over Fallout 3; there's too much of thought put into the lore to be even partially related to Pagliarulo's presence (yeah, I know, Kirkbride still writes for them etc., but still)

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Wait, this motherfucker is still on their payroll? Because I've noticed an incline in Skyrim's writing over Fallout 3; there's too much of thought put into the lore to be even partially related to Pagliarulo's presence (yeah, I know, Kirkbride still writes for them etc., but still)
I don't know the answer to your question, but Skyrim's plot twists were more Pagliarulo than Pagliarulo himself.

EG

Nullified
So last night I tried for the fourth time to play fallout 1 and 2. The controls just feel so stupid and outdated that I can't play more than half a hour before deleting them from my pc. I know the story is great but the days of crappy controls are over.

Using a mouse? :rage:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

UnDeCafIndeed

That'd be majestic.
bunny.gif

spottedowl.gif
spottedowl.gif

:lol:

argan

Augur
So last night I tried for the fourth time to play fallout 1 and 2. The controls just feel so stupid and outdated that I can't play more than half a hour before deleting them from my pc. I know the story is great but the days of crappy controls are over.

Using a mouse? :rage:

Everyone knows a real gamer plays only with a 360-controller. Even games designed for a mouse.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I replayed both recently and i have to say that Fallout 1 was more of a chore than i would like, not due to shitty low rez mouse controls, but due to the U.I and not being able to push npc´s out of the way.

On another note, why not base Fallout 4 in Texas? it need not be necessarily a post-apocalyptic adventure, just make it about shooting Mexicans instead of super mutants.

Grim Monk

Arcane

Fallout 1 - The Story WIP

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48095/

After initially expecting Derp, I was actually impressed.

Give this guy a better engine plus a Dev team, and he might do a passable job...

I mean: He's actually trying to implement the "examine object on map, get a text description" feature from the original games.
Bethesda/Obsidian didn't even do item description in inventory.

EG

Nullified
I replayed both recently and i have to say that Fallout 1 was more of a chore than i would like, not due to shitty low rez mouse controls, but due to the U.I and not being able to push npc´s out of the way.
Saving then shooting them is very theraputic, though you should learn pretty quickly how to avoid getting caught behind them. :P

Grim Monk

Arcane
Oh. My. Gawd.

What an Abomination.

Why, I find what he's doing interesting.

This guy is actually demonstrating some of the ways they could have made the (New) games better...

Technical they could have done a Fallout game with 3D exploration that would have been far closer to the original then either F3 or New Vegas.

Off the top of my head:

Exploration of "locations" in FP 3D.
With an "3D Isometric toggle (see video below).

Fallout 1-2 World map travel system.
Fallout 3 apparently had "You can not go that way. Turn back." if you reached the edge of the map.
Replace this with the "green border around locations" thing from the originals, which when reached would transition you to a traditional overland map.

Combat transitioning to 3D Isometric & turn based on initiation.

The "zoomed out" view demonstrated in this video with traditional AP based SPECIAL reliant combat.

argan

Augur
Hm, that doesn't look as bad as I expected it to. Still not a fan of the idea at all, though.

And imagine if Bethesda got to do it, there is no way that the goal would be to preserve the atmosphere and design of the original game. It would just become another post-apocalyptic hiking simulator, only here you would seek a water chip instead of your dad.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it's neat that fans are working on this, there's no need to take it seriously.

Grim Monk

Arcane
The original game's are just fine as it is.

This just makes it so much worse.

The video with "Description Glasses" is what had me interested.
I'd just like to see how much of the cool old features he can be feasibly stuff back into NV.

It gives perspective on Bethesda laziness, consolization, etc...

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
It has nothing to do with being lazy. They just do not give a fuck.
They just picked the Fallout IP up to make a lot of money on it. Not to preserve the lore and spirit of the originals.

Koschey

Arcane
Hey now, that's unfair! They new dev team were the most hardcore longtime fans of Fallout you could ever hope to find. When they acquired the IP, they could still tell you how playing the first games for the first time felt, just as if it had happened merely weeks before!

:troll:

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
True. true. It did have all the things that made Fallout, Fallout. Power Armor, Vaults, SPECIAL, Vault Boy and Jumpsuits.
And i fondly remember the exploding cars and man eating Orcs from the originals like it was just yesterday. Those were two of my favorite things.

I suppose we all owe Todd an apology. Lets send him a lollipop for a job well done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom