Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Declinator

Arbiter
Man, you must have a zen mindset because only that can explain how much patience you have with that shit.

My personal abilities aside, it's people who play a game for 30 hours and then tell me they enjoyed none of it that really make my teeth grind. If you spend 30+ hours playing a game you think is shit then you're a fucking moron, or exaggerating the hate to look like a true Codex Bro Officer.

Not talking about you, but the people above I was debating with.

I sometimes spend a lot of time playing games that I think are bad just to make sure that they actually are bad. This does not apply to any random game obviously, just to the ones that are heavily recommended by somewhat credible sources. I don't think I ever spent 30+ hours on such games but I did play BG2 for a long time and then later started it again and finished it because I thought I may not have given it a truly fair chance before. All in all I enjoyed maybe about 30 minutes of the 20+ hours I spent on it. Later on I felt satisfied with the fact that I now knew that the game was not to my liking.

Sometimes games that seem bad turn out to be better later on. For example the beginning of Fallout was pretty horrendous for me. Seemed like I would have to kill all sorts of critters forever and stopped playing. Maybe a decade later I thought to give it another shot and it turned out to much better than I originally thought (though the beginning was still bad).

On the other hand I only spent maybe an hour on Fallout the first time so that may not have been a fair shot whereas I don't think I've ever seen a game suddenly become better after 10+ hours...Nowadays I play maybe about 4-5 hours before passing judgement.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
My personal abilities aside, it's people who play a game for 30 hours and then tell me they enjoyed none of it that really make my teeth grind. If you spend 30+ hours playing a game you think is shit then you're a fucking moron, or exaggerating the hate to look like a true Codex Bro Officer.
i managed to spend 70 hours on skyrim before i figured out that all i was doing was running around the map trying to find something that was actually fun to explore while not having fun at all.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
i managed to spend 70 hours on skyrim before i figured out that all i was doing was running around the map trying to find something that was actually fun to explore while not having fun at all.

That's quite the remarkable ignorance about your own emotional state you have there, to take 70 hours to realize you don't enjoy an activity at all.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I enjoyed exploring in FO3 because I shut off my brain while wandering around. Unfortunately, shutting off my brain was the only way i could tolerate the other aspects of it.

karfhud

Augur
Man, you must have a zen mindset because only that can explain how much patience you have with that shit.

Not talking about you, but the people above I was debating with.

This is so true.

I've been eagerly waiting for Fallout 3. I loved the teaser trailer (the one with the radio in the destroyed bus). I mean, Fallout 3. Obviously when the game arrived, it turned out it's not in the same league in terms of writing in general, but for god's sake, it felt really good to be walking around in the Capital Wasteland. It felt like a Fallout game. Sure most of the quests were forgettable, but some of them were in fact quite Fallout-y. People bash that one, but I actually liked the Megaton resolution and it was an awesome chain to open up the game. The whole main quest with finding the father was meh tops, but the Virtual Reality section (don't remember exactly what it was called) was a nice touch.

Most importantly, if it wasn't for Fallout 3, there'd be no Fallout: NV. It might be a naive way of thinking, but it's somewhat true. And I love New Vegas, we all do here as far as I know. If Fallout 3 was truly utter shit, like you folks claim it was, then NV simply couldn't have happened.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Without Fallout 2, there wouldn't have been a Fallout 3. Does that make Fallout 2 a) better, b) worse, or c) as is?

Borelli

Arcane
No, the connection between Fallout 2 and F:NV is a lot tighter because New Vegas is an actual proper sequel to 2.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Most importantly, if it wasn't for Fallout 3, there'd be no Fallout: NV.
If not for Fallout 3, there'd be Van Buren.

Van buren was already axed when interplay bankrupted and there wasn't anyone else buying it for their price back then. I recommend you to forget that Bethesta wasteland simulator V.3 existed and just think of NV as the F3 and probably the end of the series.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
If I'm stoned and have a drankin' buzz on, Bethesda's "Hey, Retard: Go Explore!" games can be fun for a little bit. But fuck me if you want to actually call that "gaming".

P.S. Trolling the Bethie site gettin' a little hard lately. Word is they're cracking down in a fairly unprecedented way even for them. Cleaning house for the idiots who'll come drooling over the FO4 announcement to come? Just a theory.

Gambler738

Novice
Instead of playing Failout 3 or Skyrim why not actually go on a fucking Hike instead of simulating it? I can remember when I first read the Fallout Bible and was rather intrigued and impressed by the settings cohesiveness. The fact that this garbage IS Fallout to the modern gamer is the real fact that is lamentable. I hope that Bethesda goes bankrupt someday due to some financial idiocy on their part: The IP becoming free once more and given a chance to be what it should be. And yes "blah blah Wasteland 2 blah blah" well fine and good...but I like Fallout's setting :cry:

2house2fly

Magister
I hope that Bethesda goes bankrupt someday due to some financial idiocy on their part: The IP becoming free once more and given a chance to be what it should be. And yes "blah blah Wasteland 2 blah blah" well fine and good...but I like Fallout's setting :cry:
They made like a billion dollars off Skyrim, so I don't see them going bankrupt any time soon.

Anyway, wrt playing a hiking game vs just going on a hike, I agree for the most part, but these games do offer sights you don't see as much in real life. I grew up in the British countryside, so the parts of Elder Scrolls which simulate that don't particularly appeal to me, but the parts which simulate a frozen tundra crawling with dragons are a lot more enjoyable. I could go to an actual frozen tundra, sure, but it'd cost a pretty penny- and I've got even less chance of seeing a post-apocalyptic city, though there are a few post-financial-crisis shopping malls around.
Plus in real life if I get attacked by a bear, my options are to run and die, or piss myself and hope the smell puts it off, and then die. In Skyrim I can brain it with a warhammer and use its soul as fuel to enchant that warhammer with the power of fire.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Plus, if you wanna have sex with a dunmer in real life, you have to first find a very understanding prostitute, provide all the make-up and props and then pay a hefty extra fee for the kink factor.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit...Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit... Sweat God Emperor don't let W2 be unplayable shit...

Cause I know after Oblibion, Ballout 3 and Skyrimjob F4 WILL.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom