Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What an experience remarkably similar to mine!

The lazy world building is what killed my tolerance for F3. Really, once I noticed the absence of agriculture, there is no going back. I can even tolerate Oblivion, retarded as it is, at least it's a little self-consistent world, harmless and toothless. But F3, it's like it is ACTIVELY, AFFIRMATIVELY mocking me and treating me like a retard. To think I actually PAID 50 bucks for this turd!

And after this I played Fallout 1 and 2 properly (I tried F2 in 2004 but I was too much a weakling then to pass the Temple of Trial). And I finally realized what a GOOD game should look like (and understood what the old Fallout fans were angry about).

It's like entering the Matrix. Once you see the retardness of the current AAA games through the smoke and mirrors, there is really no way to unsee it.

I had since vowed to boycott Bethestard's sandbox games.

It was my hatred for Oblivion and VD's scathing review that actually led me to start reading the Codex in 2007.

Before Oblivion, as far as I was concerned Bethesda was just the company that had put out Morrowind and was working on Fallout 3. I was ambivalent about that at the time, I couldn't know how terrible the game would end up. I even thought the game might be good. Ah, how naive I was back then.
I bought Oblivion based on the hype and because I enjoyed Morrowind enough to play it for about 20 hours, although I never actually beat it. Oblivion's marketing made it look like they fixed a lot of the things I didn't like about Morrowind, so I picked it up on a whim after it had been out for a week or so. I played Oblivion long enough to beat the main story, and then got bored with it and didn't touch it for 6 months. I tried to play it again with mods, but I couldn't get into it and got bored after only a few hours. I started to wonder, what's wrong with me that I can't enjoy this game? Everyone else says it's great, so I figured the whole open world thing just wasn't for me.
Then I read VD's review, and I realized something. I hate Oblivion. It didn't just bore me, it insulted me. The game is designed to be simple and safe in every aspect of its design; there's a quest compass so you don't get lost and everything scales to your level so there's no danger of getting in over your head. The game basically assumes the player is an idiot. I played it again, and this time I noticed all the little flaws I was willing to ignore before. The level design is shoddy, the towns are empty, and the entire game has a theme park feel to it. I started reading the Codex because it seemed like the only place where people actually treated this game like the garbage it was.

So yeah, there are probably a lot of members from around that time with similar experiences.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I will say that "The Pitt" was well done in world building terms, now that really felt like a post apocalyptic hell hole in DC, wrecked cars everywhere, metal being scavenged etc etc it even had a pretty interesting two shades of grey story.

The Pitt is indeed quite good. The only positive aspect of F3 I can think of.

Except the part where your power-armored characters gets his head bashed with a pipe. :troll:

"Quite good." *

*Standard Bethestard retardness applies.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I will say that "The Pitt" was well done in world building terms, now that really felt like a post apocalyptic hell hole in DC, wrecked cars everywhere, metal being scavenged etc etc it even had a pretty interesting two shades of grey story.

The Pitt is indeed quite good. The only positive aspect of F3 I can think of.

Except the part where your power-armored characters gets his head bashed with a pipe. :troll:
I was just referring to the actual setting and the way it was displayed. The gameplay was exactly the same, so of course it was still bad. There was actually some tension in the 'pitt' I felt something for strugle between the slaves and their masters. I felt the oppressive atmosphere, the claustrophobic nature of a poisoned/broken/apocalyptic metropolis filled with mutants that the inhabitants actually feared.

It was still Fallout 3, filled with scaled combat and random/scaled loot BS. But I could more or less 'believe' in where my char was. Something I couldn't do in the capital shitland.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's because visual design is the only thing Bethesda does well, besides hype of course, as I have said many a time. This is how the games fool you into thinking the areas you enter are interesting and detailed.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
That's because visual design is the only thing Bethesda does well, besides hype of course, as I have said many a time. This is how the games fool you into thinking the areas you enter are interesting and detailed.

Even that is failure because they continue to do generic themes.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I meant a modded Skyrim, of course.

Maybe not fantastic but a moded Skyrim does make a very good action adventure game. Unfortunately without completely overhauling large parts of the game you can't make a good RPG out of Skyrim (remember Beth still pretends that its games are RPGs).

Anyway mods should NOT fix shitty design or the tons of bugs left behind by the devs. Ideally mods should add new content (like Tamriel Rebuilt or Nehrim do). Stuff like SkyUI should have never been needed in the first place and this whole "mods will fix it" mentality isn't helping.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, but I was met with the response, "But Arcanum" when I pointed out the flaws in another game recently.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Before Oblivion, as far as I was concerned Bethesda was just the company that had put out Morrowind and was working on Fallout 3. I was ambivalent about that at the time, I couldn't know how terrible the game would end up. I even thought the game might be good. Ah, how naive I was back then.
I bought Oblivion based on the hype and because I enjoyed Morrowind enough to play it for about 20 hours, although I never actually beat it. Oblivion's marketing made it look like they fixed a lot of the things I didn't like about Morrowind, so I picked it up on a whim after it had been out for a week or so. I played Oblivion long enough to beat the main story, and then got bored with it and didn't touch it for 6 months. I tried to play it again with mods, but I couldn't get into it and got bored after only a few hours. I started to wonder, what's wrong with me that I can't enjoy this game? Everyone else says it's great, so I figured the whole open world thing just wasn't for me.
Then I read VD's review, and I realized something. I hate Oblivion. It didn't just bore me, it insulted me. The game is designed to be simple and safe in every aspect of its design; there's a quest compass so you don't get lost and everything scales to your level so there's no danger of getting in over your head. The game basically assumes the player is an idiot. I played it again, and this time I noticed all the little flaws I was willing to ignore before. The level design is shoddy, the towns are empty, and the entire game has a theme park feel to it. I started reading the Codex because it seemed like the only place where people actually treated this game like the garbage it was.

So yeah, there are probably a lot of members from around that time with similar experiences.

While I'm not a member from that time, I got interested in and started regularly lurking the Codex after reading VD's review as well. It was the only review that voiced my grievances and disappointment and I remember many angry Morrowind vets referencing to it.

ahahah stalker metro, cool stuff for fallout 4

new generation + crazy explosions very true fallout experience, easy to share with facebook, twitter, google

want that true fallout experience wherever you go? Coming soon to iOS only $9.99

Borelli

Arcane
Notice how 100% of the footage is combat. Nothing but shoot shoot shooting. Not even a Fallout 1/2 footage.:(

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd support an Obsidian made Fallout: New Orleans. It sounds fresh (the way I imagine it) and I believe Obs. have enough sense to not make it a rehash of the old, but to offer something new (wasn't Tim Cains chief complaint of FO3 about not doing something fresh?).

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'd support an Obsidian made Fallout: New Orleans. It sounds fresh (the way I imagine it) and I believe Obs. have enough sense to not make it a rehash of the old, but to offer something new (wasn't Tim Cains chief complaint of FO3 about not doing something fresh?).

It would likely be an underwater adventure.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Why?

And even if, so what? At least it could have half decent mechanics and storytelling.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd rather see Wasteland: New Orleans

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

They could decide to do the Fountain of Dreams thing again and make Wasteland: Miami.

Of course there'd have to be a redheaded Ranger NPC who wears sunglasses and has sarcastic quips. :yeah:

Ninjerk

Arcane

Why?

And even if, so what? At least it could have half decent mechanics and storytelling.

Have you been there? Check out the elevation diagrams on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_in_New_Orleans

If shit goes tits up in New Orleans like it did elsewhere, who is going to keep the water out? That actually might be a cool subversion of how water is handled in the rest of the Fallout continuity (obv. not counting FO3).

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

They could decide to do the Fountain of Dreams thing again and make Wasteland: Miami.

Of course there'd have to be a redheaded Ranger NPC who wears sunglasses and has sarcastic quips. :yeah:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Crusoe

Crusoe.png

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Then I read VD's review, and I realized something. I hate Oblivion. It didn't just bore me, it insulted me.

I had the same awakening. I went to the Bethesda forums to be around people who like Morrowind and see when the next ES came out. It was while I was there that I realised that I didn't just think Oblivion was boring, it made me extremely angry.

They... raped the memory of Morrowind with that game, and in doing so, they raped a part of me.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/187271/the-third-act-clipped-along

Trey Parker and Matt Stone seem to understand how a horrendous sequel can rape that which you love.

I thought you fuckers here would be sympathetic, but you guys couldn't get past the fact that it was released on a console.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Goddammit that was a great episode.

Yes! I remember when that episode first aired and I went on imdb to see the reaction on the south park and crystal skullfuck boards. There were A LOT (mostly lucas fanbois) of people who thought that this was just irony. Trey and Matt laughing at the losers who used such silly terms as childhood raping.

It wasn't untill a few years later that the "documentary" the people vs george lucas came out and people realised they weren't being ironic. They literally meant every word. The butthurt was glorious.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
I hate Skyrim and Oblivion. They didn't just bore me, they insulted me.

Fixed it.;)
The most annoying thing, in my opinion, is that they sell them as "be what you want to be". Which is just not true. There are just too many artificial limitations in both.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

Yes! I remember when that episode first aired and I went on imdb to see the reaction on the south park and crystal skullfuck boards. There were A LOT (mostly lucas fanbois) of people who thought that this was just irony. Trey and Matt laughing at the losers who used such silly terms as childhood raping.

It wasn't untill a few years later that the "documentary" the people vs george lucas came out and people realised they weren't being ironic. They literally meant every word. The butthurt was glorious.

There was a documentary on George Lucas rape?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

There was a documentary on George Lucas rape?

Yep.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1325014

Ninjerk

Arcane
Heh, that makes me think of The People vs. Larry Flynt.

I was never into ES, but replace that with "Fallout 3" and "Deus Ex" and you have my story. Fallout 3 made me angry, but Deus Ex... I fought that one. That one took my innocence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom