Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Crevice tab

Savant
I was never into ES, but replace that with "Fallout 3" and "Deus Ex" and you have my story. Fallout 3 made me angry, but Deus Ex... I fought that one. That one took my innocence.

I can somewhat understand what happened with Fallout 3; the people at Bethesda were too stupid or lazy to understand the setting and lacked any sort of taste and creativity to create something new and good.

Oblivion is the real mystery, especially when it came right after Morrowind. How could Bethesda rape their own creation so badly? Morrowind is a masterpiece despite its flaws and TES lore is so fucking awesome that even mediocre writers and artists could do something good by sticking to it but despite all this Oblivion managed to be 100% stupid generic fantasy shit. How the fuck could things go so wrong from one game to the other? :butthurt: :butthurt: :butthurt:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I can somewhat understand what happened with Fallout 3; the people at Bethesda were too stupid or lazy to understand the setting and lacked any sort of taste and creativity to create something new and good.

Oblivion is the real mystery, especially when it came right after Morrowind. How could Bethesda rape their own creation so badly? Morrowind is a masterpiece despite its flaws and TES lore is so fucking awesome that even mediocre writers and artists could do something good by sticking to it but despite all this Oblivion managed to be 100% stupid generic fantasy shit. How the fuck could things go so wrong from one game to the other? :butthurt: :butthurt: :butthurt:

I believe it was a combination of many factors. Consoles were clearly the primary audience this time around and the game was built around that, but then you also have supposed problems Bethesda ran into because expected 360 specifications apparently didn't turn out to be exactly true so they had to downscale aspects of the game and cut out others entirely (dynamic object shadows, for example). On the other hand you also have examples of proper Dunmer voices being present in the early presentation video only to be mysteriously absent from the game proper, as well as all three elves sharing the same voice set. DVD limitations? Bethesda cheapening out at the last minute? I don't know.

:hearnoevil:

dr.krap

Educated
I believe it was a combination of many factors. Consoles were clearly the primary audience this time around and the game was built around that, but then you also have supposed problems Bethesda ran into because expected 360 specifications apparently didn't turn out to be exactly true so they had to downscale aspects of the game and cut out others entirely (dynamic object shadows, for example). On the other hand you also have examples of proper Dunmer voices being present in the early presentation video only to be mysteriously absent from the game proper, as well as all three elves sharing the same voice set. DVD limitations? Bethesda cheapening out at the last minute? I don't know.

:hearnoevil:

When I think of reasons why Oblivion sucks, the last things that come to mind are shadows and voice actors.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My guess? It was Bethesda's first consciously "mass market" game and they had no fucking idea what they were doing.

Unfortunately for us, having a monopoly over an entire subgenre means they can afford to make retarded mistakes.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
My guess? It was Bethesda's first consciously "mass market" game and they had no fucking idea what they were doing.

Unfortunately for us, having a monopoly over an entire subgenre means they can afford to make retarded mistakes.
Man, I'm not even sure. I think millions of people actually like how Oblivion works. They like the power fantasy of just being able to kick every living thing's ass from level 1. They don't care there is no build up or suspense or payoff. They like the static world because that means whenever they fire up the game they know exactly what to expect, and they don't have to worry about their actions having any consequences. They like the retarded main quest because, well according to Skyrim stats almost no one actually does it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Man, I'm not even sure. I think millions of people actually like how Oblivion works. They like the power fantasy of just being able to kick every living thing's ass from level 1. They don't care there is no build up or suspense or payoff. They like the static world because that means whenever they fire up the game they know exactly what to expect, and they don't have to worry about their actions having any consequences. They like the retarded main quest because, well according to Skyrim stats almost no one actually does it.

I'm not talking just about things like that. Heck, even Todd Howard admitted this about Oblivion's setting: http://www.oxm.co.uk/26280/bethesda-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/

Crevice tab

Savant
I'm not talking just about things like that. Heck, even Todd Howard admitted this about Oblivion's setting: http://www.oxm.co.uk/26280/bethesda-oblivion-sacrificed-what-made-morrowind-special/

Oblivion didn't just sacrifice what made Morrowind special: it did everything worse than Morrowind (except perhaps the music). If I were to make a wild guess about why things went so wrong I'd say the total lack of any sort of artistic vision and quality control is the thing that doomed Oblivion. Todd and Co. didn't know what sort of setting they were trying to build so they just threw the most generic cartoonish shit they could find before trying and failing to make a good AI.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'd support an Obsidian made Fallout: New Orleans. It sounds fresh (the way I imagine it) and I believe Obs. have enough sense to not make it a rehash of the old, but to offer something new (wasn't Tim Cains chief complaint of FO3 about not doing something fresh?).

It would likely be an underwater adventure.

Why?

And even if, so what? At least it could have half decent mechanics and storytelling.

Have you been there? Check out the elevation diagrams on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_in_New_Orleans

If shit goes tits up in New Orleans like it did elsewhere, who is going to keep the water out? That actually might be a cool subversion of how water is handled in the rest of the Fallout continuity (obv. not counting FO3).
Damn, imagine the awesomeness of a game set in a flooded post-apocalyptic city, with people living in the upper floors of buildings sticking up above the water and using boats and ramshackle bridges to travel between them!

Ninjerk

Arcane
The game would primarily be about fighting infections, too, I'd wager. Like Farcry but you'd be popping antibiotics every house or so lol.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
The game would primarily be about fighting infections, too, I'd wager. Like Farcry but you'd be popping antibiotics every house or so lol.

It could be an interesting mechanic, but yeah not if it devolved into something similar to Far Cry 2 - then it'd just be an annoyance. It'd make you think twice if the Obvious Stealth Route™ to avoid the bad guys was a sewer access full of contaminated water (not something that'd kill you instantly, but there'd be a chance of getting infected).

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Designer Reveals Possible Settings And Locations In the Upcoming RPG"

If only Avellone did work on it. Well, not with the rest of the Derptesda team of course.

On the to pic of Fallout 4, I wonder what "feature" they will focus on to hype the game. Maybe dark and gritty survival gameplay. That's popular right? Ghouls are exactly like zombies, after all. And a survival game means a zombie survival game.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
They also have the rights to do that Fallout MMO. Maybe that wlll be around in 2015.

7 years between games is a bit much. Especially when they cut short Skyrim's DLC to go into full production of their next game. And the 3 Dog actor releasing hints.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hNpmrlS.jpg

:greatjob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom