Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Game looks like Gamebryo.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Are you ready for the incline codex?
1446395521899.jpg

pippin

The art direction in F4 looks a lot more charming and natural than potato-village ridden Twitcher 3 or shit-green/orange induced Dragon Derp Inquistion.

Behead all those who insult twitcher's art direction

pippin

You might dislike the gameplay, which I admit is subpar sometimes, but The Witcher has had a constant high quality when it comes to elements like art direction and music. It's a fact.

Bahamut

Arcane
Some impressions:
- DIFFICULTY: Very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard, SURVIVAL. They change damage, resistance of enemies and appearing rate of legendary enemies. Legendary enemies are harder and they have a chance of dropping a legendary item with unique characteristics like better critic chance or that refills AP when doing a critic.

Lol borderlands

- COMBAT: WAY better. It is no COD but the FPS sensations are amazing, you notice every impact, the weapons recess, different characteristics between them etc makes it wonderful. There was a lot of place from Fallout 3 to improve so I was doubtful about what would they do, but you all can be calm about it. Also, enemy AI, without being super evolved or anything, it's way better. Enemies hide, get cover a lot, they go for you when you have little health or you're reloading (He's playing in hard mode). He says VATS it's completely not essential.

Yea its worse than already bad CoD's shooting mechanics

- Animations are flawless. People's faces, even tough there are some similar (particularly raiders) there are a lot, and way different ones from each other.

Its bethesda we are talking about, bad animations are their signature feature so
dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

- He didn't like at all the dialogue system, and in 23 hours he's played almost no mission he was able to get out of just by dialogue. Although there was some "X person approved" like in Dragon Age/Mass Effect, there is no visible karma system, and that takes a lot of attractive to the diplomatic side of the game. He checked statics and he didn't see either nothing about reputations like in NV. He thinks it will probably work like in Skyrim and Oblivion.

Dumbing down in its purest form

- SETTLEMENTS: A very important pillar on the game. Some will love it, some will hate it. He thinks that, even tough he likes this kind of "microgestion"aspects from RPGS he thinks Fallout's it's a little bit harder and deep than he likes. They give sooo many options about it, and missions, and objectives that he think they take out weight from the rest of the game. ABOUT HOW THEY WORK: There are a ton lot of red workshop tables all over the world, some free and other ones occupied. Once you get to them (if the people occupying it are good people you'll have to do the typical mission to help them etc) you can do all that was seen on the demo, destroy everything, and build. You'll have to maintain the little, or bunch of humans on it with food, water, energy and beds. When they're attacked you'll receive a message and have the option to go help. It is very complete and you can invest a lot of hours making it really cute, have there your base with all your people etc, but he thinks it might be a little bit overexploited.

I never asked for this, wrong feature in a wrong game. More features is never a bad thing, but in the context how the game looks ,they set their priorities just wrong

- WEAPONS: More about them, he has only seen like 12-15 base weapons yet, but he says that the weapons mods is crazy. Every weapon can easily have 25-30 different pieces that alter sadistics.

Errr cool i guess?

-POWER ARMORS: Used almost like a vehicle. You get inside, you use it, you get out of it and it stays on that place. It gives them a more OP feel, but it is also way less "comfortable" to use.

I actually like how PA is handled in this game but i wont be surprised if there is some major fuckup/limitation in the implementation

-NARRATIVE: He says it starts a little bit weak, and it takes a little to get it up and running. In his almost a day of playing has only completed 4 history missions because they're pretty long and
full of things to do. Even tough, he thinks the way the story is going can be very interesting.

Lettme guess, this things is kiling hordes of enemes and traveling looped linear dungeons, im really curious how much cringeworthy the "family" part of the story will be

Lemming42

Arcane
Enemies using cover and looking for vulnerabilities is something at least. Better than a man in a tank top with a pool cue screaming "YEAH YEAH TEAR EM APART" and charging the Power Armour clad player.

EDIT: The lack of dialogue solutions to quests is a huge kick in the balls, though, especially after Fallout 3 which actually offered non-combat solutions to the vast majority of quests, well-written or otherwise.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
When a npc asks you something, most of the time two of the four options are "no" and "not now", which give the same result.

But I don't care. I'm pretty sure that the flaws of this game will not be acknowledge, but instead this will be consider the new standard for RPGs.
Well, at least Obsidian is working on the new Vampire, so who cares.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
More bits from the Mexican leaker:

·Dynamic weather (rain and fog so far)
·He doesn't love the new Power Armour.
·He's frustrated a bit with the dialog system, as many times what the prompt says and what the character actually says are very different (I remember the ME series having this same problem).
·You can only ask one thing to each npc, so no more asking about the war, the settlement, other characters, etc
·When a npc asks you something, most of the time two of the four options are "no" and "not now", which give the same result.
·He feels that having a voiced pc is more trouble than it's worth for the game.
·He hasn't seen a big variety of armour, just leather and metal so far.
·Armour is now separated in more pieces (one for each arm, for each leg, etc)
·Perk list too long to transcribe
·Perk for LUCK 5 is: Wise idiot - Get triple XP at random for any action. The lower your INT is, the higher the chance of this happening.

Points 3-6 make me glad I haven't pulled the pre-order trigger yet. Shitty NPCs and obscure dialog options are gonna make this a CoD with Skyrim. Very disappoint Todd.

pippin

This is fucking weird. Bioware wants to be Bethesda and Bethesda wants to be Bioware.

Adon

Arcane
Flawless animations, hahahaha. Wasn't the running animation the same one from Skyrim, and even the dog running animation from F3?

COMBAT: WAY better. It is no COD but the FPS sensations are amazing, you notice every impact, the weapons recess, different characteristics between them etc makes it wonderful.

So it works the way it should work? I would hardly call that amazing. Sounds serviceable at best.

There was a lot of place from Fallout 3 to improve so I was doubtful about what would they do, but you all can be calm about it.

What does that even mean? Are they saying here they were worried Bethesda might fuck up any changes to the combat despite mentioning there was a lot to improve on in F3? Weird grammar stuff aside from what seems to be a shoddy translation, this just sounds weird.

Also, enemy AI, without being super evolved or anything, it's way better. Enemies hide, get cover a lot, they go for you when you have little health or you're reloading (He's playing in hard mode).

Not bad :obviously:

bonescraper

The best you can wish for, prior to every new Bethesda RPG release, is for it to be only as bad as the last one.

Owl

Cipher
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Are you ready for the incline codex?
1446395521899.jpg

I don't want to rain on the Bethesda-hating parade (mostly I agree with it), but this is apples and oranges. The left one is a prerendered cutscene, the right one is realtime ingame. Also, unlike most others ITT, it's not a real screenshot, it looks like it was taken with a phone camera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom