Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jozoz

Prophet
"To me it's a big step backwards. NPC's take a long time to start the conversation (when you get to a place and try to talk to an NPC they do it very calmly). The dialog options are dissapointing (X button is to advance the conversation, the O is either sarcastic or "No" option most of the time, the square button is for a very negative/jerk response and the triangle button is always a question about the topic) and badly worded (in F3, Oblivion, Skyrim or NV there weren't misunderstantings, every line matched what your character was going to say, now they give you a small "description" and then it doesn't match with what the character actually says). The dialog wheel tries to be similar to Mass Effect but fails. This is the only evident step backwards at least for me."

One of the Spanish dude's opinion on the new dialogue system.

Even Reddit is up in arms about this. Funny considering you would be downvoted to oblivion if you voiced your concern a month ago.

CrawlingDead

Learned
"To me it's a big step backwards. NPC's take a long time to start the conversation (when you get to a place and try to talk to an NPC they do it very calmly). The dialog options are dissapointing (X button is to advance the conversation, the O is either sarcastic or "No" option most of the time, the square button is for a very negative/jerk response and the triangle button is always a question about the topic) and badly worded (in F3, Oblivion, Skyrim or NV there weren't misunderstantings, every line matched what your character was going to say, now they give you a small "description" and then it doesn't match with what the character actually says). The dialog wheel tries to be similar to Mass Effect but fails. This is the only evident step backwards at least for me."

One of the Spanish dude's opinion on the new dialogue system.

Even Reddit is up in arms about this. Funny considering you would be downvoted to oblivion if you voiced your concern a month ago.
lol, I had to laugh at "tries to be similar to Mass Effect but fails." Damn, Bethesda, can't even do dialog wheels right. All you had to do was copy and paste.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
if the dialog wheel options give completely unexpected responses i'd say that's actually a pretty faithful replica of the system in ass defect

Sòren

Arcane
well the rpg elements in the last few bethesda games were shit anyway (as are their dialogues), its not a big deal that they get rid of them almost altogether now.

if they manage to make the exploration somewhat rewarding (oh gawd) it might even be fun to play. i must admit the power armor sequences look kinda neat. :oops:

maybe at about 15 bucks or so.

:M

CrawlingDead

Learned
well the rpg elements in the last few bethesda games were shit anyway (as are their dialogues), its not a big deal that they get rid of them almost altogether now.

if they manage to make the exploration somewhat rewarding (oh gawd) it might even be fun to play. i must admit the power armor sequences look kinda neat. :oops:

maybe at about 15 bucks or so.

:M
Maybe if they make the exploration "somewhat rewarding" they'll introduce a whole-new genre called the hiking simulator, which is what it kind of is right now. For those of us who ground our teeth on the earlier titles, watching the series turn into what it is now has been a big slap in the face. I blame the current devs completely. Todd has been there for a minute. Bethesda wouldn't be what it is today without the money and time invested from those of us who began with Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind. They don't even try to win us over, and they've completely turned their back on the PC platform, which is what made them big in the first place.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bitch, please. I 'ground my teeth' on Gold Box games when you were in diapers. Old Fallout died a while ago. Plenty of franchises have spawned derivative titles that don't resemble the core/original ones. It is what it is... and it's good for what it is~

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I presume it's the protagonist being put into freezing while some BAD GUY(TM) shoots his wife? Making for a very EMOTIONAL(TM) moment?

pippin

The only game that did dialogue wheels reasonable right is Human Revolution, because apparently the devs who worked in that game understood it's supposed to be a design element, an alternative to the lists games had before. And you could see a brief version of the sentence you were going to say, it worked and you didn't feel you were saying different things in comparison to what initially appeared as a dialogue option. Alpha Protocol, while having better dialogue than HR, also suffered from this difference flaw.
Edit: dialogue checks also had rolls in 3.
Removing weapon condition is fucking retarded.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The repair system was retarded tho, forced the players to run around with multiple guns and armors to 'merge' /repair your equipment.

Either they implemented a 'realistic' system with a repair kit or being able to only repair when present a work bench, because if not then they might as well remove it, which they did.

The dialogue wheel can be well implemented for some nice conversations, like in alpha protocol, deus ex and to some extent mass effect, but it needs to have more than a few key words.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Loss of durability is meaningless when repairing weapons was so easy in the first place. Do people expect them to make the game mechanics deeper as time goes on? They're pushing more towards Borderlands. FPS with light arpg elements. Stop acting incredulous. No surprises here.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
Yeah, don't act so surprised that the game is shaping up to be even more shit than FO3. Bethesda never dissapoints :salute::salute::salute:

Wolfe

Arbiter
The grenade explosion in the last video set the dog on fire, 3 seconds later he's as good as new.

:negative:

I actually can't wait for the game, it's going to be extremely fun to see how terrible it is.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
While your character put it in cryogenics experiment that was part of that vault bad your son get along and use it for experiments cyber augmentation but escapes and becomes the master of robots Wilderness causing panic with his army robots and that's when you the main character wakes up to do their thing in the world and you realize that the bad is your own son and while in F3 a son looking for his father were here you are a father looking for his son and you have to stop it or join it and create your base to exert power over the desert and you can even recover parts of the alien ship which was demolished in F3 to create alien technology. Its beautiful.

Wolfe

Arbiter
While your character put it in cryogenics experiment that was part of that vault bad your son get along and use it for experiments cyber augmentation but escapes and becomes the master of robots Wilderness causing panic with his army robots and that's when you the main character wakes up to do their thing in the world and you realize that the bad is your own son and while in F3 a son looking for his father were here you are a father looking for his son and you have to stop it or join it and create your base to exert power over the desert and you can even recover parts of the alien ship which was demolished in F3 to create alien technology. Its beautiful.

I would not be surprised at all if that were to actually be real.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Google: Pete Hines twitter.

Anyway, he doesn't have anything recent about leaked footage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom