Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Bahamut

Arcane
That was a extremely awkwardly framed event, I mean seriously that was straight amateur work. The camera angles, the way the dude just pops like a watermelon from behind, Dogmeat running into the shot, the non-threatening card just staring at the whole thing.

what is this game i dont even know anymore help
latest

This game will be like Skyrim, memorable not by quality but for stupid memes and bugs

"ARROW IN TEH KNEE DURRR HURRR SO MEMORABLE"

Will my HD6850 even be able to run this RPGlike FPS? I mean the graphics don't look really better than FO3 so it shouldn't have a problem, right? I won't mind to get this some time on a sale for a bit of shooting(with skills and slow-mo)

Minimum

• Windows 7/8/10 (64-bit OS required)
  • Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz/AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz or equivalent
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 30 GB free HDD space
  • NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or equivalent

Well on the one hand a 6850 is a tier above a 550 ti, Nvidia's minimum.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

But on the other AMD's minimum is a 7870, which is a full four tiers above a 6850.

Either there was some serious Nvidia bias during programming, or the specs are bullshit.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Bitch, please. I 'ground my teeth' on Gold Box games when you were in diapers. Old Fallout died a while ago. Plenty of franchises have spawned derivative titles that don't resemble the core/original ones. It is what it is... and it's good for what it is~
There is a standard to be met though. RPGs have been around a long time. The problem we have here is an infantile hobby that hasn't caught up to the maturity of the RPG genre that predates it. There is a rich history to the RPG genre that really isn't found in any other, most notably because these games go beyond the aspect of "gaming" for pure enjoyment to actually extending to a level of imagination for the player to experience. There really isn't anything truly like it.

Already, we have seen what RPGs can be in games such as Ultima 7, Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, ect. These games have laid the foundation. The problem is, developers such as Bethesda don't want to innovate. They want to make it easy for the player to just jump in and kill shit without having to think too much about the story, their actions, or the consequences of their actions in the world they're playing in.

It's more about the money than it's ever been. It's not what Ultima was about. It's not what Baldur's Gate was about. It sure as hell wasn't what Morrowind or Fallout were about. These guys took big risks that could have paid nothing, but they did it to see what could be done, what was possible.

Because of a very immature and crappy gaming press, who don't want to keep the history of RPGs or games in general alive, who pander to the publishing houses for money, and frankly who don't care to know what games were like before, people like Todd fucking Howard get to spout drivel like "Radiant AI is innovative." When it's clearly fucking not.

I'm going to say this right now, Bethesda is headed for a bust. Gaming culture is full of pretty dumb motherfuckers, but not "that" many. There is a point when the average gamer will really want to "climb that mountain", but when he can't and is faced with an invisible wall in a supposed sand-box RPG, he's going to wonder what the fuck is so great about this game that I can only kill things in and find random bullshit to dress my character in. And then Fallout 5 is going to come out or TES VI, and he's going to wonder, should I spend my $60 or $70 bucks on this?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Morality Games has a theory that even some FO3/NV fans might end up not liking FO4, thereby opening an opportunity for somebody to launch an "oldschool" first person open world RPG project.

Somebody. Specifically inXile with Wasteland.

Basically goes cut scene-driven, dialogue wheel driven games aren't really universally loved in the open world crowd (even among casuals) and metagaming skills was still an important part of being a badass in Fallout: New Vegas. Gamers don't always react well to mechanics overhauls that affect how they used to be a badass (see D&D 3.5 -> 4). Also indie old skool credit has worked out for Fargo so far just because the "idea" of playing something that is simultaneously old school, core (to the genre), and niche (to gaming) has a lot of ongoing appeal to the hipster generation.

pippin

Rose Tinted Glasses: The Post

The industry has always been about money. Ultima started as an indie project but then it turned into a huge franchise and even spawned an MMO which is still runing today.
Baldur's Gate was going to be a different game, but then they slapped the D&D license to make more money, and they did.
Morrowind was about money since its inception, and even more when it was ported to consoles and it proved you could do console ports from pc games with a certain degree of success.
In fact, games were more expensive back then than they are now. You'd be easily spending twice as much in a AA or AAA game in the early 90s than in the early 00s, and that's because the market is much more open, obviously. When I was a kid, if someone told me I was going to be able to spend 6 bucks for just one game and 30 for a bundle of almost ten games, when the starting price for most games was like 60 bucks at least, I wouldn't believe it.
Fallout is more of an exception here, but it was always some sort of black sheep project, if that makes sense. Fallout 1 was a true labor of love, but after 2 came out the thing became more of a product than an experiment. Subsequent projects, like Tactics or the console action game, were attempts to make more money, but those failed, even though I love Tactics and I'll defend it if I feel like it.

I think the real problem is a change of design priorities. Games are getting more and more slow and less complicated because of the multiplat format, which is the true responsible behind gaming's lack of real quality since the mid-late 00s. PC gaming recovered thanks to kickstarter but you shouldn't rely on that to fund your products, since it shows you're not solvent enough as a business entity to be able to carry your own weight. The safest bet is to follow Sturgeon's Law and only focus on the stuff you know you're going to like. And since you don't go to the butcher to get brain surgery, the best thing to do is to stay away from Bethesda and other AAA companies if their games bother you. Go play Underrail instead.

CrawlingDead

Learned
The industry has always been about money. Ultima started as an indie project but then it turned into a huge franchise and even spawned an MMO which is still runing today.
Baldur's Gate was going to be a different game, but then they slapped the D&D license to make more money, and they did.
Morrowind was about money since its inception, and even more when it was ported to consoles and it proved you could do console ports from pc games with a certain degree of success.
In fact, games were more expensive back then than they are now. You'd be easily spending twice as much in a AA or AAA game in the early 90s than in the early 00s, and that's because the market is much more open, obviously. When I was a kid, if someone told me I was going to be able to spend 6 bucks for just one game and 30 for a bundle of almost ten games, when the starting price for most games was like 60 bucks at least, I wouldn't believe it.
Fallout is more of an exception here, but it was always some sort of black sheep project, if that makes sense. Fallout 1 was a true labor of love, but after 2 came out the thing became more of a product than an experiment. Subsequent projects, like Tactics or the console action game, were attempts to make more money, but those failed, even though I love Tactics and I'll defend it if I feel like it.

I think the real problem is a change of design priorities. Games are getting more and more slow and less complicated because of the multiplat format, which is the true responsible behind gaming's lack of real quality since the mid-late 00s. PC gaming recovered thanks to kickstarter but you shouldn't rely on that to fund your products, since it shows you're not solvent enough as a business entity to be able to carry your own weight. The safest bet is to follow Sturgeon's Law and only focus on the stuff you know you're going to like. And since you don't go to the butcher to get brain surgery, the best thing to do is to stay away from Bethesda and other AAA companies if their games bother you. Go play Underrail instead.
Some very good points. I would add something substantial to this, but I'm a little worn out after all that writing I did for my last post. I will say, there has got to be a tipping point when all this streamlining and dumbing down Bethesda has been doing, even more so since Fallout 3, will eventually coming crashing down on them and Todd Howard can sing his happy ass to a new job.

Nael

Arcane
A real laser:

The high pitched "beeping" sound it makes when its cutting the circles are the AC vector drives in the CNC table.

No sound from the actual laser. The only sound a weaponized version might make would be the cooling fans in a power supply.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
A real laser:

The high pitched "beeping" sound it makes when its cutting the circles are the AC vector drives in the CNC table.

No sound from the actual laser. The only sound a weaponized version might make would be the cooling fans in a power supply.

That's no fun. It should make an actual pew pew or fsszttt sound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom