Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, if power armor is so common in the area that greasers pimp them like motorcycles, it would make perfect sense for the bandits to have some in their possession.

It just makes zero sense. There's no internal consistency. They want to push the "wasteland" vibe while having plentiful old war tech and resources. If everyone has that tech, either the world should be rebuilt to almost pre-war standards or warlords in power armor should be raping and pillaging everywhere. The idea of gangs wearing power armor right next to other gangs who will be wearing scraps of leather and Mad Max style uniforms is so ridiculous, but I'm sure that's exactly what we'll find, because Bethesda doesn't give half a shit about anything that gets in the way of what they think is "cool".

I know no one disagrees here and I'm just ranting, but fuck, I feel like I've gone mad. How do such transparently broken ideas get past the drawing board? Why even have a story at all if it's going to be treated with such disdain?

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Well, if power armor is so common in the area that greasers pimp them like motorcycles, it would make perfect sense for the bandits to have some in their possession.
They lamp-shaded it a bit in that making of article in GI. They said Boston was a site of major military mobilization before the war. IDK why you would deploy PA to Boston, it's not like the Pre-War sequence shows massive unrest or anything like that. But hey, man, it's just a game. Right? B)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It just makes zero sense. There's no internal consistency. They want to push the "wasteland" vibe while having plentiful old war tech and resources. If everyone has that tech, either the world should be rebuilt to almost pre-war standards or warlords in power armor should be raping and pillaging everywhere. The idea of gangs wearing power armor right next to other gangs who will be wearing scraps of leather and Mad Max style uniforms is so ridiculous, but I'm sure that's exactly what we'll find, because Bethesda doesn't give half a shit about anything that gets in the way of what they think is "cool".

I know no one disagrees here and I'm just ranting, but fuck, I feel like I've gone mad. How do such transparently broken ideas get past the drawing board? Why even have a story at all if it's going to be treated with such disdain?

Fallout has always had a kind of off-tone, especially Fallout 2.. things get a little silly in this department. Bethesda has just taken it to extreme levels where it's just getting stupid.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
a5ObuE5l.jpg
:dead:

Zeriel

Arcane
Fallout has always had a kind of off-tone, especially Fallout 2.. things get a little silly in this department. Bethesda has just taken it to extreme levels where it's just getting stupid.

I'm not a fan of Fallout 2 either, and I've grown to loathe it increasingly over the years for how dumb bits of it are (basically everything on the coast next to the Enclave, Hubologists in particular), so I guess I'm just too easily triggered by this stuff.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Prewar is oldschool.

Not like the advanced technology developed AFTER the war, amirite?

Zeriel

Arcane
Prewar is oldschool.

Not like the advanced technology developed AFTER the war, amirite?

Well considering we can atomize random scrap and instantly turn it into computer terminals, human civilization really kicked it up a notch AFTER the bombs fell.

bonescraper

No. Fallout 2 was silly, but it never went so far to contradict or parody itself. Little Lamplight/Big Town, Tenpenny Tower, Megaton, Republic of Dave, the subway vampires, ninja-samurai Chinks, daddy Neeson's big pointless project, protagonist's ultimate sacrifice, Moira Brown, Colonel Autumn, Enclave's ultimate goal, Steel be with you... none of it makes any sesne, but most of it is supposed to be serious.

Crashed UFO/Alien abduction DLC, now that's Bethesda's idea for an "off-tone" FO2 joke.

bonescraper

Fallout 2 is filled with pop culture references and post apocalyptic self-parody... did we play the same game?
Yeah, well, FO2 is full of pop culture references and post-apocalyptic parody, but it's still internally consistent when you exclude all that silly stuff. FO3 is just dumb, disjointed and shallow, while trying to be completely serious, dramatic and thought provoking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeriel

Arcane
Postapocalyptic soap-opera.

I just wish more of these brainless AAA action games let you be a dick in dialogue as well as in the mechanics. That was the joy that made the Mass Effect games work for me, and it's a crying shame Bioware stopped doing that lately, it makes their games completely unplayable. It's a crime against God and all the saints if you go to the trouble of doing fully voiced dialogue and don't give the player the option of being Supreme Douchebag to everyone, it's so much wasted potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom