Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I herd u liek embargoes so I embargoed your embargo yadda yadda

This is SO Bethesda:

Fallout 4 Review Embargo Gets Embargo

1506043656939922503.png

Fallout 4, like most major video games, has a review embargo. Unlike most major video games, however, Fallout 4 has an embargo for its review embargo.

A “review embargo” is shorthand for the day and time that critics with publisher-provided early copies of a game can publish their reviews. This is a common practice, and in many ways it’s a good one: By setting an embargo, a publisher prevents outlets from racing to see who can publish the first review at expense of thoroughness. We at Kotaku are not against review embargoes—unless they’re set after a game has already come out.

But this is the first time we’ve seen an embargo on a review embargo. Here, obtained by Kotaku, is an e-mail Bethesda sent out to press (not including Kotaku) today.

We hope you’re having fun exploring the Wasteland in Fallout 4. We know your followers are eager to hear more about the game. If you’d like to reveal when your review or launch coverage will run, you can share beginning this Friday, November 6 at 10 a.m. PST.

Please keep in mind that the embargo below is still in place.

All review coverage is under embargo until Monday, November 9 at 8 a.m. EST.

This embargo also includes streaming gameplay footage or posting impressions from your experience on social media, etc.

We do ask that you avoid including story spoilers in your review coverage.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

The Bethesda PR team

So on Friday, at 10am PT, the embargo will be up for embargoed reviewers saying they’re embargoed until Monday at 8am ET. Anyone else feel like they’ve just walked into a Dr. Seuss novel?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's bad enough that Fallout 3 and 4 are pale imitations and bastardizations of a treasured cRPG franchise. "We're huge fans of Fallout," quoth Todd during Fallout 3's development, and yet Fallout 3 demonstrated a clear lack of understanding of the Brotherhood of Steel, of Super Mutants, of the tone and atmosphere of the classics, not to mention Bethesda's absolute shit-tier writing and inability to deliver black humor (those are faults of Bethesda Softworks regardless of franchise, but they hit Fallout especially hard).

On top of that you've now got full-blown consolization to contend with, right down to shitty UIs based on smartphones (Skyrim), iffy controls, issues with keybinding since they design the game for controllers and apparently pass that part off to a single intern, few and far-between patches that break more than they fix (dragons flying backwards in Skyrim, etc.) and Todd ranting that they can't be bothered to allocate resources to creating and maintaining a proper PC port because of pirates.

This time, poor design decisions from Skyrim and other modern games are working their way into the mix, too, and they're going full-on shooter from the sound of things.

Doesn't matter, though. Fallout 3 was seven years ago, and a lot of 20-somethings grew up with with that brand of Fallout. It's gonna sell like hotcakes.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are those really PC screenshots?
Why is there no indoor lighting and shadows at all? Even Skyrim had that

Expecting some kid on the internet to pull a Watch_Dogs in one week or two and find out the game has been made to look like ass on PC on purpose.
Happened plenty of times before, almost no one gave a damn.

This is also for you Zeriel

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really at this point all I care about is evil options, betraying people, or siding with a morally questionable faction. I want to murder the railroad and shit. I'm just wondering if there's something remotely fun in there. That's the only entertainment value I want to expect above the regular 100 hours of dumb fun as a hiking simulator.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
So apparently the big twist is:

Srsly, spoiler.
Waifu is dead and the kid has been turned into a synth. Two endings - you can kill it or spare this synthetic abomination.

https://a.pomf.cat/wqklnu.ogg

Maybe I should post it in the launch trailer comments...

:troll:

Am I a bad person for being tempted to spam it all over the Internet, just to ruin this clusterfuck for the nu-Fallout generation?

pippin

The game is pretty shit as it is but Bethesda has bought everyone, every review. I'm just expecting something to be insanely broken, Arkham Knight style. The tears will be delicious.

MapMan

Arcane
The only time I was ever mad about a franchise I liked getting ruined was with the release of fallout 3 and how it wasn't why we (the fans) ever wanted. I was really fucking mad back then. But then something broke inside me and I decided not to give a fuck ever again. Hitman, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider and numerous other franchises I really liked got butchered and it didn't rustle my jimmies in the slightest. Fallout 4 doesn't bother me at all, the world keeps spinning and maybe one day we'll get a good fallout or post apoc crpg game. Be strong, brothers.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Looks awesome, hope we can choose our own side and that leads to different story arcs. Will give the game a hell of a lot of replayability.
Really at this point all I care about is evil options, betraying people, or siding with a morally questionable faction. I want to murder the railroad and shit. I'm just wondering if there's something remotely fun in there. That's the only entertainment value I want to expect above the regular 100 hours of dumb fun as a hiking simulator.

That's how I played FO3 and I plan on doing the same in this one. Roleplay as a motherfucking retard set on destroying as much as possible of the fake world Bethesda created.

Adon

Arcane
So apparently the big twist is:

Srsly, spoiler.
Waifu is dead and the kid has been turned into a synth. Two endings - you can kill it or spare this synthetic abomination.

https://a.pomf.cat/wqklnu.ogg

Maybe I should post it in the launch trailer comments...

:troll:

Real plot twist is that they're all synths which is why none of them act or sound human. Instead we get an imitation of what they think is human emotion explaining why everyone is so underplayed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not that much of a surprise people guessed that while ago given the quest in Fallout 3 with the Institute and runaway android.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Real plot twist is that they're all synths which is why none of them act or sound human. Instead we get an imitation of what they think is human emotion explaining why everyone is so underplayed.
well that explains things, and here i thought it was because bethesda has no writing talent and still uses their secretarial staff for voice actors

VVV well we know for sure the secretaries aren't checking their spelling anyway

Last edited:

Shammy

Learned
I really can't get over how bad those textures are. I know we've beaten this point to death but seriously, what the flying fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom