Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gord

Arcane
Maybe they forgot the compiler flags again :D

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, my bad not considering all of those.

I think I might just be too disappointed with all of these changes. I honestly enjoyed Bethesda games. but FO4 is probably the first of their game that I am not going to buy.

ArchAngel

Arcane

This is interesting. I got a GTX 960 but a crappy i5 750 CPU. I hope I can find a good setting to get above 40 FPS without game looking like crap. Anyone know what kind of graphical settings are most dependant on good CPU?

Lemming42

Arcane
Just had a conversation with my friend who's really excited for Fo4 and I think I came across as a weird bitter creature of pure vitriol for voicing some of the opinions seen in this thread.

All in this thread are doomed to stay here. Leaving it will result in severe culture shock.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just had a conversation with my friend who's really excited for Fo4 and I think I came across as a weird bitter creature of pure vitriol for voicing some of the opinions seen in this thread.

All in this thread are doomed to stay here. Leaving it will result in severe culture shock.

I come here for my daily shot of sanity before I go back to the real world.

I don't have a single shred of shock value from this thread.
Everything mentioned here is par for the course of a Bethesda game dating back to Morrowind.

Played Out Recycled Story Tropes, Goofy Character Creation, Shit Textures, Buggy Launch and on and on andonandondsdn. Nobody here should be surprised.
Anyone who bought Fallout 3 and enjoyed it is beyond redemption.

bonescraper

hah, I love it when they go for the join date argument. :lol: Also, someone considering himself "old" on a forum, as in "wiser" or "smarter". Does a good job to demonstrate mental age if nothing else.

If the mod "only changes values of the existing mechanic", then congratulations - you have locational damage that means shit until it's modded.
No you moron, you still didn't read the goddam mod description. Congratulations, you're retarded and proud of it! Also, i agree that it's a dick move to call you out on your join date. You're much dumber than the average newfag.

BTW autism can be a matter of perspective. Maybe when you are retarded everyone else seems "autistic". What really comes accross as autistic is deciding what pictures to place in your the house you built for yourself in a hiking sim :D Have fun moron.
Bitch, you have no clue what you're talking about yet you think you're making a giant game design breakthrough. I don't know what level of autism is that, but you're fucking embarrassing yourself.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The Codex exists for voicing said :obviously: opinions.

saltyshanty

Educated
Considering how it looks, the FPS should never go below 60 with a PC like that. Anything below 60 in an FPS is definitely "running like shit".

Mad Max is an example of an optimized game. Fallout 4 is an example of an unoptimized game.

Well, I agree that shooters should be played at 60 FPS at the very least. I just assumed that my PC would have some difficulty running F4 beyond medium settings, but given that my CPU and GPU are both a couple tiers above that i3 and 750ti, I'm not as concerned.

This is interesting. I got a GTX 960 but a crappy i5 750 CPU. I hope I can find a good setting to get above 40 FPS without game looking like crap. Anyone know what kind of graphical settings are most dependant on good CPU?

This doesn't answer your CPU question directly, but you might find it interesting anyway: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

likaq

Arcane
Jim Sterling is a fat SJW faggot with an annoying voice and retarded sense of humor that ruins the potentially good videos he could occasionally make so there's no reason to care about what he thinks.

Jim Sterling is an author of this article:

http://www.destructoid.com/videogame-fans-need-to-shut-up-about-everything-164476.phtml

One of the main problems with these so-called fans is the fact that they never want things to change. They'd rather that games never evolve, and that 1996 remain the last year a new game was ever made. Nobody typifies this more than Fallout fanboys, who threw a fitful tantrum over Fallout 3. Their problem? The fact that it wasn't 100% exactly like the original Fallout.

That's the original Fallout that, may I remind you, was released in 1997. Never mind that games have moved on since then and a game that played exactly like Fallout likely wouldn't have made any money, and then nobody would get anything in the future. A lot of these complaints stem from the arrogant idea that the fans know much more about a game than the developers themselves. They talk as if their word is law, telling us that "this is not aFallout game."

In fact, that's exactly what one man, No Mutants Allowed's Vince Weller, declared whenFallout 3 came out: "It's not a Fallout game. It's not even a game inspired by Fallout, as I had hoped. It's a game that contains a loose assortment of familiar Fallout concepts and names ... Electricity, pre-war electronic equipment, powered and still working computers (just think about that for a second), working cola & snack machines, weapons, ammo, scrap metal (needed by many), and even unlooted first aid boxes are everywhere."

Because the game did not adhere 100% to this one man's vision of what Fallout was, the game was no longer a Fallout game. Because various concessions were made to the loot and environment in order to keep the game playable and fun, it was a betrayal. Oh no, unlooted first aid boxes! No, it wouldn't make sense for such things to survive in Fallout's world, but it's a videogame, and it has to function like one, which is something that these so-called fans seem to forget.

Yet others hated the game simply because Bethesda was making it. Some of them were declaring it to be "Elder Scrolls with guns" long before the game was even released. It's not like Interplay was incapable of doing much of anything at the time, eh? It doesn't seem to matter that what these people want is impossible. If it's not exactly what they like, then fuck the game.

Fact is, this was the first Fallout game in years, and most people loved it. So, these people were complaining about a new game for their favorite franchise that was pretty good by all accounts and made a lot of money, ensuring future Fallout games for quite some time. Yet, had these guys had their way, I doubt we'd even be talking about FalloutDLC, or New Vegas, or anything Fallout-related right now. Had these guys had their way, we'd have a game that looked, sounded, and played like something from 1997, and it would have sold to a small group who would then have likely complained that it hadn't changed enough.

In other words, he is a human trash.

ITT: "Hey, guize, I bought this shit that I think is absolutely retarded, despite thinking it's absolutely retarded. How crazy is that? XD But I'm cool because I admitted it, right?"

Answer: No. You are degenerate scum and have no place in civilized society. Begone. Sail across the sea, kill the natives and form your own. :rpgcodex:

I may understand why some Codexers may want to try this abomination but giving money to bethesda is an inexcusable sin. Thats all they want, all they care about. From their perspective there is no difference between grumpy codexer who gives them money and console peasant who gives them money. It's like a definition of being a part of the problem.
21l4o.jpg

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane

In general, things like draw distance, ped density, shadows and shadow quality, some types of AA,...

GPU still plays a bigger role though and the 960 is nothing to sneeze at, unless you want to go above 1080p of course.

likaq

Arcane
I may understand why some Codexers may want to try this abomination but giving money to bethesda is an inexcusable sin. Thats all they want, all they care about. From their perspective rhere is no difference between grumpy codexer who gices them money and console peasant who gives them money.
21l4o.jpg

This.
Why buy when you can torrent?

ArchAngel

Arcane
In general, things like draw distance, ped density, shadows and shadow quality, some types of AA,...

GPU still plays a bigger role though and the 960 is nothing to sneeze at, unless you want to go above 1080p of course.
No, my 22" monitor is happy with 1080p :D

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It does, just watched a video were he got Power Armor and fought the Deathclaw and injured his leg that make the Deathclaw limp and be unable to run.
Yeah, I was wrong about that. From the beginning I said that Skyrim doesn't have it and FO3 has mods that enable it.

I'm not sure but this looks like a bug that's been occuring for me in Bethesda's engine since Oblivion. Where sometimes, a part of the scenery will just stay all low-texturey (I guess it's a texture used from a long distance) even when you walk up to it.
The same thing keeps happening in TW2 and 3.

BTW, I don't get it what's with the butthurt about Avellone and Fargo giving praise to FO4. Isn't it obvious they are doing it for purely PR reasons? A tweet, or a public statement from a game designer is supposed to always be his sincere opinion?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
ITT: "Hey, guize, I bought this shit that I think is absolutely retarded, despite thinking it's absolutely retarded. How crazy is that? XD But I'm cool because I admitted it, right?"

Answer: No. You are degenerate scum and have no place in civilized society. Begone. Sail across the sea, kill the natives and form your own. :rpgcodex:

Don't cut yourself on that edgeee, son !

bonescraper

Yeah, I was wrong about that. From the beginning I said that Skyrim doesn't have it and FO3 has mods that enable it.
Just how stupid are you?

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas Edit
Although body part damage can be achieved through manual aiming, V.A.T.S. allows more effective targeting of particular body parts. The effects of crippling specific body parts are listed below.

• Crippling the head will reduce overall accuracy and Perception (-4) of the target. If inflicted upon the player character, the screen will intermittently get fuzzy and a ring will be heard through the speakers, loosely simulating the effects of a concussion.
  • Crippling the torso will result in the target flinching far more often from shots than normal. This can also affect the player character, throwing off aim and interrupting attacks (even in V.A.T.S.).
  • Crippling an arm will drastically reduce accuracy and may disarm the target if a weapon is held in the attached hand. This is particularly evident when using a scoped weapon, such as a sniper rifle. The weapon itself is not destroyed, and the target can pick it up again or use another weapon from their inventory.
    • A crippled right arm also reduces base melee damage done by 10% if wielding a one-handed weapon. If wielding a two-handed weapon (or unarmed), one crippled arm reduces base damage done by 5%, two crippled arms reduce base damage done by 10%.
  • Crippling a leg will result in impaired mobility. Creatures who rely on leaping attacks (e.g. deathclaws) will no longer be able to use them.
  • Crippling both of the player character's legs disables special melee and unarmed moves that are executed outside of V.A.T.S., such as Mauler or Ranger Takedown.
  • Crippling the held weapon will ruin it and make it unusable, and/or send it flying out of the target's hand. Although the condition is zero and it cannot be used, it can still be collected and repaired, or used for repairs. The player character's weapon may be damaged by enemy fire as well. If the weapon's Condition depletes, it will be unequipped as opposed to flying out of the hands. If it is an explosive ordnance (like a frag grenade), it will explode, dealing its damage to the target holding it (and any others nearby). Grenades can be targeted by V.A.T.S. while in the air after being thrown as well.
  • Some enemies have alternate targets: Robots, ants, and others have special targetable parts that when crippled will push them into a frenzied state, where they ignore discern between friend and foe and will attack anything.
Crippling any body part will result in the target momentarily pausing to clutch the now crippled body part or reel from the injury.

When using explosive and melee weapons specific body parts cannot be targeted while in V.A.T.S. The enemy is simply targeted as a whole.

Healing a crippled body part Edit
In combat, the player character may also sustain crippling damage. This was originally to be a mini-game. In order to repair this damage, it requires:

Hardcore Mode (Fallout: New Vegas only)Edit
  • Paying a doctor works the same.
  • Sleeping only heals if the bed is owned.
  • Stimpaks cannot be used to heal limbs.
Doctor's bags function like stimpaks on Casual.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Cripple

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sterling is a talentless hack, so it makes sense he enjoys the game made by talentless hacks.

I've long become convinced that only time he is capable of producing an original thought, is when he wants a burrito. Otherwise his videos always looked like bunch of comments he found on the Internet and put together. Which they probably are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom