Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

This is the general tone of the first article.

Squint at the image's top left and you'll see a sign for Boston's downtown Scollay Square district. The "Memory Den" sign may simply be the name of a local pub, or it could hint at a shop for android citizens. Could The Institute, Fallout's post-apocalyptic version of MIT, be responsible?

Fallout's recurring Deathclaw enemy species is back, this time with horns and extra scales on its back. Does this signal that yet more time has passed since the world collapsed, allowing for further evolution? Or is it simply just the Boston breed?

Mister Handy makes a return in this look at a pre-war world. Will we be able to explore sections before the war, or will our trips here be limited to flashbacks in cut-scenes?

Now, seriously, Eurogamer is hardly half a step up from IGN or Ga(y)mespot (which, in turn, have the credibility and journalistic integrity of a dumblr account), but what the fuck on Earth is the point of such an article? Does their reader base need the spoonfeeding of even the slightest glimpse curiosity this badly? Are they so retarded they can't even "look" at screenshot, but need to be handheld in the process?

Fuck you, humanity, fuck you.

Athelas

Arcane
Wrong.

While it's true that positioning meant shit in Fallout 1-2, it's not because of top-down + one character. If Fallout: Tactics did anything right, it's by adding cover, crouch and prone positions, and vertical movement. Taking a sniper position on the top of a building behind cover was possible and viable.
Your argument for why single-character turn-based can work is...pointing towards a turn-based game where you control a party?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Single character turn based combat is more fun to me because i control well... one character and not whole party, guess it's less of a hassle for me.
That's why Fallout is special(pun intended) in this aspect, because the combat is made around one character.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Nagas, I already said that. Boston + Institute + Railroad was already known from FO3. All they did was make an educated guess it would be the location of the next game... which tons of people, including here, were already doing. Notably absent from that 'leak' is any mention of Diamond City which, you'd think, would be one of the key things mentioned.

I kind of agree with this post.. but was there any speculation about the main character being voiced before that reddit post. Not saying I believe it, they had a 50-50 chance of getting that right and there is still no proof but it is interesting that they brought that up and it turned out to be true based on the trailer.

This would be the first Bethesda Game to have a voiced Protagonist in forever.. Which IMO is a dumb idea but the reddit "leak" did claim that and people gawked and laughed in the comments about that specific point.

Also Diamond City is just the next <Insert City Here> for FO4.. not really special or worth mentioning IMO.

Latro

Arcane
Now, seriously, Eurogamer is hardly half a step up from IGN or Ga(y)mespot (which, in turn, have the credibility and journalistic integrity of a dumblr account), but what the fuck on Earth is the point of such an article? Does their reader base need the spoonfeeding of even the slightest glimpse curiosity this badly? Are they so retarded they can't even "look" at screenshot, but need to be handheld in the process?

nah, it's probably more innocuous, they just need to meet a written word/content quota probably

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Your argument for why single-character turn-based can work is...pointing towards a turn-based game where you control a party?
No. The issue was positioning in a turn-based game. My answer is pointing to mechanics that make positioning relevant, regardless of the fact that the game lets you control a single character or multiple. Learn to read.

Last edited:
I have to say that after playing Fallout 3, my expectations for Fallout 4 are very low. The trailer did nothing to change my pessimism and in fact, surprised me by how pedestrian the graphics and animation are. It's almost as if the trailer was run on 360/PS3 hardware which wouldn't be an issue if Bethesda didn't have such a shoddy track record with story and character development.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
When tactics came out I kind of thought it was a spinoff with the main goal being being a proof of concept for the combat system. I seriously expected the next proper fallout to be a normal rpg but with combat from tactics thrown in.
I still do, if there's ever an actual successor. The combat mechanics from Tactics were great, even if it was too easy, and there was no roleplaying. They even made a turn-based / real-time hybrid that didn't suck, unlike Arcanum's.

Athelas

Arcane
No. The issue was positioning in a turn-based game. My answer is pointing to mechanics that make positioning relevant
Nothing you said addresses any of the issues of single-character turn-based games. I would argue that positioning is less of an element when all the enemies on the battle field have the exact same target.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Nothing you said addresses any of the issues of single-character turn-based games. Positioning is less of an element when all the enemies on the battle field have the exact same target.
I don't deny it.

Multiple characters multiplies the importance of positioning (if done well - as in having multiple characters doesn't dispense you from needing good positioning). What I meant was that positioning can't be important in a game if there are no mechanics to support it, such as cover, crouch and prone position, and verticality in map design.

Single player turn-based games will always have the problem of enemies ganging up on a single character, while the character can't react. Ways to lessen this flaw are for example interrupt actions, such as overwatch to attack when an enemy leaves his advantageous positioning to get to you, or reactions for when your cover is blown (after the enemy has taken advantage of the fact of course). Also, maybe fights where the objective isn't just kill them all, but where you and enemies have different objectives, where the combat map has points of interest that help you fulfill those objectives or that are required for it, making the fight more of an obstacle than the main thing.

Still, that is also true with multiple characters. But with single character TB rpgs, I'd say terrain takes a bigger importance.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I don't deny it.

Multiple characters multiplies the importance of positioning (if done well - as in having multiple characters doesn't dispense you from needing good positioning). What I meant was that positioning can't be important in a game if there are no mechanics to support it, such as cover, crouch and prone position, and verticality in map design.
That isn't true either. For example, even without those things, positioning can be a significant gameplay element if a game has many abilities that affect an AoE.

Single player turn-based games will always have the problem of enemies ganging up on a single character, while the character can't react.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The issue isn't enemies ganging up on a single character (if anything, this makes it easy to kite enemies, since they're all headed towards the same target on the same trajectory). Positioning a character doesn't happen in isolation, it's done depending on the position of other combatants on the battle field, both allies and enemies. When you can only control a single character and your enemies can only target a single character, the element of positioning is almost entirely diminished.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
What I meant was that positioning can't be important in a game if there are no mechanics to support it, such as cover, crouch and prone position, and verticality in map design.
That isn't true either. For example, even without those things, positioning can be a significant gameplay element if a game has many abilities that affect an AoE.
I agree, which is why I said such as. AoE are mechanics that support positioning.

Single player turn-based games will always have the problem of enemies ganging up on a single character, while the character can't react.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The issue isn't enemies ganging up on a single character (if anything, this makes it easy to kite enemies, since they're all headed towards the same target on the same trajectory). Positioning a character doesn't happen in isolation, it's done depending on the position of other combatants on the battle field, both allies and enemies. When you can only control a single character and your enemies can only target a single character, the element of positioning is almost entirely diminished.
I agree, which is why I said that terrain becomes much more important in single player games, such as objectives on the combat map that requires moving and maneuvering to get to different positions, since there's no allies and not many enemies that force you to position yourself relative to them.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
th_crazy_galsses_top_jd.jpg

This guy's back, kids.:|

likaq

Arcane
leaked dialog screen:

1.jpg

:troll:
tyranny of choices isn't it? :troll:

Last edited:
Romance in fallout 4, this is what average beth fan wants:

Do you think Fallout 4 will include romantic interactions? Skyrim took a pretty cool step forward in introducing marriage as a system

I'm hoping Fallout 4 expands on it a bit more, and even does romance candidates in a similar way to how New Vegas handled companions; have a smaller amount of possible partners with fleshed out personalities that you have to do a moderately sized (and romantically oriented) quest for to earn their affections.

And karma should definitely be a huge factor in whether they accept you, or even stay with you. Nothing like getting dumped for blowing up a city, am I right?
6HBpJer.png

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

nah, it's probably more innocuous, they just need to meet a written word/content quota probably

That sounds too innocuous. I wonder what their angle actually is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom