Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Backstabber

Educated
I think Sil is a pretty good example of tactical turn-based single player combat that works really well. One of the good things about having only one character available is that stealth actually becomes a very viable option.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Where is your God now?

AovVUB8.png

These are very bad offers. I bought all these three games for an extremely low price back in the days lol.

BTW CS GO is very good (and very addictive). Take care of your life.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Single Player turn based is always gonna be limited in tactical choices. Unless you have a lot of meaningful tactical choices to make with controlling that one unit, for example if you were controlling a single space ship that was able to fire multiple weapon systems, manage damage control, manage crew assignments, manage shields, etc... But I don't see how you could add those kind of turn by turn decisions to a game where you control a single dude.

I am of the opinion that you will actually get more tactical combat when controlling only a single character by adding action elements that involve timing. Timing of both the players actions and anticipating enemy timing. Turn based works really well for controlling a party, that is where it really shines IMO, but it is kinda weak when you are only controlling a single character. It is difficult to provide enough tactical choices for a single character/unit that would justify needing to stop and think about it in a turn based manner.

That is true, but I think the real problem rises only if the game at hand is designed to rely on heavy and longwinded trench combat situations and HP grind. A single PC TB combat should revolve around brief and deadly situations where you make quick and crucial decisions with a range of possibilities to choose from (more specific and finetuned character abilities, gear, environment...), rather than strategizing over a 20+ minute campaign for the encounter; and, imo, the game itself try to compensate the relative lack of combat with other gameplay features and possibilities - among them, ways to bypass of further shorten combat.

Ayreos

Augur
Guys i get it. Everything makes sense now. The lego buildings, the unexplainable pastel paint splattered all over, the voiced protagonist and the excessive focus on the dog. You ARE the dog, and not the vault dweller!

Think of it. Dogs are color blind. And the vault dweller is an npc so of course he's voiced. At this realization i simply cannot contain my hype for Fallout4: The Story of Doge.

Todd, you sly fox, you!

:hearnoevil:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys i get it. Everything makes sense now. The lego buildings, the unexplainable pastel paint splattered all over, the voiced protagonist and the excessive focus on the dog. You ARE the dog, and not the vault dweller!
If they actually did something that controversial, I would be 1000x more excited.

Mech

Cipher
It has to be a cyber dog so that you can still shoot guns, or the "human" companion is controlled by the dog remotely.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
th_crazy_galsses_top_jd.jpg

This guy's back, kids.:|

Ayyylien Dlc part 2 confirmed
Overlord Todd's Flying Saucers

Aliens? No way, Bethesda is always making things more EPIC and MAJESTIC. Fallout 3 already had aliens and a Lovecraft building, Fallout 4 will have Cthulhu as the final boss. Game takes place in Boston, which is a harbor city, so it's perfect. Cthulhu will rise from the sea and you will fight it with a rapid-firing mini nuke turret in an EPIC fight with massive explosions and QTE dodging.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Actually that was largely Kirkbride and Rolston. Todd Howard thought Morrowind will suck and people will hate it.
He was the project lead, why would he approve designing a game he thought people would hate?

Yes but Rolston was the lead designer. Mr.Howard is pretty much all about style/flashiness and dungeon delving. He only cares about lore in as much as it facilitates reasons to go kill stuff.

Here is Ken taunting Todd Howard's style a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lzDYDJT1Q&t=7m4s

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Actually, the comparison between Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur has led some to believe that Rolston was the true evil all along.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Actually, the comparison between Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur has led some to believe that Rolston was the true evil all along.

I kinda doubt it. Doesn't mean that his comparisons weren't bad but even geniuses can make and say stupid stuff (Ridley Scott's abysmal Gods&Kings). Also Todd pretty much layout his design vision in the "Making of Oblivion" video and Morrowind is pretty far from it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I kinda doubt it. Doesn't mean that his comparisons weren't bad but even geniuses can make and say stupid stuff (Ridley Scott's abysmal Gods&Kings). Also Todd pretty much layout his design vision in the "Making of Oblivion" video and Morrowind is pretty far from it.

OK, but on the other hand, Oblivion had Rolston, Skyrim didn't.

And then I think back to the description of Rolston in this censored interview: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cal-of-bethesda-rubbed-out.10403/#post-172709

Sure, Todd comes across as a popamoler in that interview, but Ken seems like a guy who had some weird ideology, which is potentially a lot worse.

Last edited:

pippin

Todd discovered decline when Morrowind's xbox port happened to be as cool (for him) as the pc version.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Comment on that video.

"I spent about 100-120 hours into Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3. I never realised that they use bottle caps as their currency."

How the fuck? :retarded:Are these people lobotomized or something.
Maybe English isn't his first language, and he thought "caps" was slang for dough? And he never picked up a loose cap in the entire game?

I dunno. :D

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Everyone in this thread will play FO4. Guaranteed.
Think again. Didn't play Fallout 3, and F:NV wouldn't run on my comp (some sound issue making the game choke).

Even found that Fallout 2 was decline vs Fallout 1. Kung Fu chinese town? Please. Fallout 2 started the theme park shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom