Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The base defence and weapon crafting have potential. Modders could do a lot with those.

Also, graphics downgrade confirmed if you can believe it. Even worse than the trailer;
CHiX13-WoAARv14.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This settlement building will be barely a step up from the thing in Bloodmoon, and still far less involved and gameplay-relevant than the settlement buiding in Breath of Fucking Fire 2 from 1994. And none of you fucks know how involved it was because you won't fucking touch any console games, herp derp.

How many RPGs even offer settlement building in the first place? And if Todd is to be believed, with trade routes between them. Fuck, how many even offer as much as a house? I've always wanted to be able to build a merchant empire, buy/build structures with various benefits, compete with other aspiring merchant princes, etc. in a proper RPG and so far nothing has really delivered even though it should be part of any RPG with a mercantile skill of some sort. I'm happy to see any move in this direction, and it's a big and pleasant surprise considering how shitty Skyrim was when it came to the volume of gameplay options, which was at the lowest in the series since Arena.

The game for you is called Patrician III.

I don't want to play a strategy game though, I want to do that in an RPG.

retardation

Learned
The game will surely be fun, but Bethesda's mod policy is worrying.
I'm not looking forward to owerpowered VATS, though.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My thoughts on FO4
-Voiced dialogue means we won't get much choice in our character but Nice Guy, Huge Asshole, and Emotionless Brick
-Lack of skills means upgrading skills by doing stuff, which means you can min-max your character endgame, thus killing the replay value after you have done pretty much anything
-Crafting and modding system look greatly improved in comparison to NV
-I dig that Bethesda went with the "The Witcher 1 reagent" approach for crafting materials, so your backpack won't be full of useless shit, and your useless shit can have some worth
-I always wanted to build a settlement in Fallout games, looks pretty cool what they got so far
-Combat and engine don't look much different from 3/NV
-A stray dog, having to survive the wastes, somehow decides to follow you for no reason. usually you bond with animals after giving them food, I guess your charisma is enough now
-We haven't heard much about roleplaying characters or the story. I fear the worst here, knowing Bethesda
-VATS still doesn't seem to serve any purpose but to provide easy cinematic kills
-the setting doesn't look that different from 3, it just has more color and more empty buildings
-too much color, I might add. I didn't like the GREEN and ORANGE filters 3/NV had, but it just looks too colorful. The whole game reminds me of TF2 and Borderlands for some reason. I think 1/2 were more bleak in this regard, which fit the setting
-these facial animations in 2015 are a fucking joke
-Power armor has jetpack thrusters now? not that I'm complaining, I love Tribes, but I don't think this was ever in the Fallout lore before
-Aircraft? Do people have enough fuel for aircraft in a post-apocalyptic setting?
-aircraft only seems to be useful for transportation and shitty CoD-like Gunner moments

Trip

Learned

Doesn't this fall somewhat outside the limits of the definition though? As it stands, this sounds much more like a sim. Which of course it won't be, so these systems will most likely be terribly implemented; basically the age-old newbie designer mistake of trying to cram stuff willy-nilly in the game, simply because they thought of it. (Or in this case, because it checks all the boxes for something a particular type of (wide) audience will go for.)

What's this game's concept, anyway? Simulate life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? What sort of life? Gun-and-armor obsessed loner that somehow also wants to rebuild civilization? What would the storyline justification for that be? Is it even going to have one? Some sort of thematic unity or an idea? Is it going to be some meta-powergaming race where players are going to compete for strongest base and most pimped out power armor? I don't get it at all, really. It sounds so immature and amateurish.

CoolioMaximus

Novice
Wow, being the super huge faggot that I am, I was pretty excited when this game was finally announced. Then I wake up this morning and watch the 15 minute trailer, and low and behold it actually looks pretty shitty.

Oh well, back to playing New Vegas for the eighth goddamn time.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
lol pre-ordered the pip-boy edition, guys, do you seriously think of beth's games as proper rpgs anymore? I just put them as "action adventure" in my mind and I end up enjoying them a lot more, honestly, it looks like an improvement on Beth's design skills, I'm waiting for some more footage/details on the dialogue system so I'm reserving judgement atm.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Doesn't this fall somewhat outside the limits of the definition though? As it stands, this sounds much more like a sim. Which of course it won't be, so these systems will most likely be terribly implemented; basically the age-old newbie designer mistake of trying to cram stuff willy-nilly in the game, simply because they thought of it. (Or in this case, because it checks all the boxes for something a particular type of (wide) audience will go for.)

What's this game's concept, anyway? Simulate life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? What sort of life? Gun-and-armor obsessed loner that somehow also wants to rebuild civilization? What would the storyline justification for that be? Is it even going to have one? Some sort of thematic unity or an idea? Is it going to be some meta-powergaming race where players are going to compete for strongest base and most pimped out power armor? I don't get it at all, really. It sounds so immature and amateurish.

The impression I'm getting is that since we play as a survivor who actually lived in the old world instead of a random descendent from a vault, our character wants to restore the world to just how it was before the bombs fell. This would tie the base building concept in with the story nicely. Great potential for the main character to be more of a villain and have them actually drive the story - the wastelanders just want to move on and survive, but the PC wants to drag everyone kicking and screaming back into the past he remembers. Probably too much to ask of Bethesda, though.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
With all the sim elements, I wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate goal is to become President of the Wastes.

Trip

Learned
the wastelanders just want to move on and survive, but the PC wants to drag everyone kicking and screaming back into the past he remembers.

Yeah, I thought of something like that as well when I tried to build a coherent concept in my head. But it sounds too left-field, not only for Bethesda but for the genre as a whole. And knowing Bethesda, well... no. Also it would have to be the main focus of the game - complete with at least some of the trappings of something like King of the Dragon Pass, for instance, - and instead all I see is a fucking rocket-cam and a dog whose reason for existing I can't comprehend from any of the footage so far. So... no. This is just shoddy. Kinda makes me wonder about the game industry's professional standards in general.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Mount and Blade: Fallout.

I'm both disappointed and mildly thrilled at the same time.

Anyway are you people really complaining about the dialog wheel? After fallout3?
Did that game ever have dialogue trees? Did it ever had more than 4 lines of dialogue? Did it actually have any meaningfull dialog choice?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, if they give the voice actor some attitude and a few EXTREME collar grabbing scenes, this game could swallow up Bioware's Mass Effect audience whole. Don't know if Bethesda have that in them, though.

EDIT: Oh, and a libido.

Trip

Learned
Did that game ever have dialogue trees? Did it ever had more than 4 lines of dialogue? Did it actually have any meaningfull dialog choice?

Well, it could have more. Or rather, could have had, in another temporal timeline. Also, even 4 lines of dialogue would be preferable to 4 truncated canned phrases, which is how it looks like now. Oh yeah, and one of them is obviously reserved for "Barter" and another for "This is all I wanted to know, kthanksbye."

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
My thoughts on FO4

-Aircraft? Do people have enough fuel for aircraft in a post-apocalyptic setting?
-aircraft only seems to be useful for transportation and shitty CoD-like Gunner moments

Worked for the Enclave and the NCR.
I agree that the gunner feature is dumb though.

Not sure about the new Fallout. Some of the features seem gimmicky, and don't have the same feel that the other games did.
Then again, the loss of the Fallout feel is to be expected with the new color palette.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
You know, if they give the voice actor some attitude and a few EXTREME collar grabbing scenes, this game could swallow up Bioware's Mass Effect audience whole. Don't know if Bethesda have that in them, though.

Not without some DTV celebrities like Felicia Day and Freddie Prinze Jr. lending their voices.

With DAI Bioware tried to steal Beth's audience but failed. Let's see if Beth succeeds.
I don't see a reason to care about them though.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I like upgrading Powered Armor and thrusters, sure it shits on the lore but at least it does so in a way that makes the game more fun, not more boring. On the other hand I absolutely loathe upgrading the base if I wanted to play a game about building your own little house and defending it I'd play Terraria. I play RPGs for adventure, not house decorating. I hope that it will be entirely skippable like in other TES games. The only potential for fun I see is modders turning it into "make your very own sex dungeon" minigame.

Current verdict: buy if it goes on sale for 10$. Which is an improvement since before the newest trailer I didn't want to by it at all.

EDIT:
I actually really dig weapon-armor upgrades in general.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Mass Effect for all the shit it gets, manages to nail down the "space opera save the universe" vibe with its characters, squad mates and production values... Bethesda open world games have none of that, you get copy paste characters, no squad mates, ridiculously shallow story lines, and sub par production values. They are not even competing on the same level as Witcher or Mass Effect franchises, not even with Dragon Age.

Nas92

Augur
They're gonna have to make that perk system really complex and well though out in order to substitute skills properly. Looking at the perk respec option they included in the Dragonborn DLC of Skyrim, I doubt they'd bother.

Still, at the very least, the synths look quite nice. And it seems you actually get to shoot Lyons pussy Brotherhood as part of the story. Still not enough to make me buy it though.

Don Peste

Arcane
It could only have been an interesting game if they would have improved the FPS part. The RPG part (And the Fallout part) was obviously dead and raped long ago.

An FPS with some sandbox stuff? Well, wouldn't be bad at 75% off. But Jesus, that stupid AI, the useless Minecraft/Sims stuff...

Will modders really be able to do something about it?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Fucking hell. Just catching up on the things that were revealed overnight. The pain, the pain.

Is this thread going to get moved to general gaming now? 'Cos they've finally thrown all the stuff that made Fallout an RPG out the window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom