Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trip

Learned
You can build multiple settlements or completely ignore the feature altogether
Which further strengthens my suspicions that F4 isn't aiming at anything like "build on the themes of previous games about civilization rising from the ashes", but just gives you a box of toys to fiddle with, 'cause it sounds nifty and it would be a spin-friendly selling point. You have to understand, it's really not about the feature itself and its merit of lack thereof. It's about the very, very strong possibility that 1) they've put it there entirely for the wrong reasons and 2) they're going to half-ass it. And sorry, but "interacting with the world a lot" doesn't by itself make an RPG game closer to any ideal shape whatsoever. It's a design feature that could be applied to any sort of game.

Personally, I don't give a crap about building houses in the desert; I care about innovative, rich ways to implement, for instance, interactions with NPCs and interesting ways to utilize the people in the world that aren't there to be murdered by you with a gun-cammed rocket in the mouth. And no, I don't even mean anything like a "story" - just a reactive make-believe creature here and there that actually makes you believe there's a glimmer of intelligence and emotion behind their burial mask of a face. I find it much more conducive to role-playing than magicking houses in the middle of nowhere and watching them fill up with dead-eyed, one(or no)-liner pixel-puppets.

I'm strapping in for another one of those games where the best anyone can say about its elements is that "you can ignore them if you like"

Word.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Did you even watch the video? You can build multiple settlements or completely ignore the feature altogether. It's not like a naked Todd Howard is going to burst into your house and force you to build a house at dickpoint.

See, the pre-order figures alone are evidence enough that people who think Bethesda promo material is an accurate representation of what the game will actually be like. I just never thought I'd meet one in the wild.

Beth has been lying through their teeth about what the end product will be like since Daggerfall. Somehow I doubt that this will magically change for Fallout 4. Experience teaches that what the gameplay looks like in the video and what the gameplay will actually be like are two very different things.

keppj0nes

Educated
Good god, I just watched the whole presentation video. The decline is so strong, I need an oxygen mask. Someone help.

:what:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I care about innovative, rich ways to implement, for instance, interactions with NPCs and interesting ways to utilize the people in the world that aren't there to be murdered by you with a gun-cammed rocket in the mouth.

I think I've made my opinion on storyfag subhumans clear already. :killit:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Did you even watch the video? You can build multiple settlements or completely ignore the feature altogether. It's not like a naked Todd Howard is going to burst into your house and force you to build a house at dickpoint.

See, the pre-order figures alone are evidence enough that people who think Bethesda promo material is an accurate representation of what the game will actually be like. I just never thought I'd meet one in the wild.

Beth has been lying through their teeth about what the end product will be like since Daggerfall. Somehow I doubt that this will magically change for Fallout 4. Experience teaches that what the gameplay looks like in the video and what the gameplay will actually be like are two very different things.

Both Bloodmoon and Skyrim already had toned down versions of it though, so it's not like they're overpromising on something they can't deliver like they did with Radiant AI. On top of that it looks functional and in a pretty advanced state in the video. It's not about trusting Toddler but at this point he'd have had to have went out of his way to fake something rather than simply overpromise on what he can't deliver like he did with Oblivion.

Deleted member 7219

So they removed skills and perks? Wow. I guess we can't expect a New Vegas 2 then. They'll force Obsidian to use their new non-RPG system.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
So they removed skills and perks? Wow. I guess we can't expect a New Vegas 2 then. They'll force Obsidian to use their new non-RPG system.

Perks are still in, skills too in ranked form (whether they're in a shared pool you choose from during level-up or not is still unknown).

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh, great, a "clear area of hostiles" objective. Plenty of room to use your non-combat skills there.

Er, yes? You can probably convince them to leave.

Joking? It's hard to tell over text. You majestically enter a big Power Armour suit, complete the objective "pick up minigun" and then go on a rampage. I doubt you put on the armour, pick up the minigun and then walk out and pass a speech check.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
You what I just realized? we just have to take the game for what it is. By now I think it's obvious even to a complete retard that a "Fallout game" per se has become a hiking sim/shooter in the Fallout universe. It's a completely separate game that has almost nothing to do with the original Fallout, but what the hell, if it's fun to shoot stuff in it I'll bite.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
You what I just realized? we just have to take the game for what it is. By now I think it's obvious even to a complete retard that a "Fallout game" per se has become a hiking sim/shooter in the Fallout universe. It's a completely separate game that has almost nothing to do with the original Fallout, but what the hell, if it's fun to shoot stuff in it I'll bite.

It's likely to be a great game, just not a great classic Fallout game.

Last edited:

pippin

Apparently, Todd confirmed mods for the Xone during the MS conference. Wonder how that'll work out.

Badly, I assume. Perhaps that's why they went with mediocre graphics, since people who want better graphix for consoles can have their texture mods without crying about low framerates and shit like that.
Also good luck with that load order.

Good god, I just watched the whole presentation video. The decline is so strong, I need an oxygen mask. Someone help.

:what:

I've been feeling nauseous since i've watched it live.

I started watching just in time for that iphone crap. The rest of the stream was really bad and Todd's notorious nervous state was cringeworthy. But the "best" moment was the reaction of the crowd when Pete said they had toys for everyone at the end. Dude, fucking toys, like, Happy Meal shit. What's fucking wrong with these people?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I did not think you could dumb down Fallout 3, but Bethesda has done it. Even the attributes look like a waste. If you do not need to rely on VATS, then why would you take perception or agility (outside stealth)? Why not take 10 intellect and ride the extra levels? Also, the gameplay video with the power armor and deathclaw made me cringe a little. Since when did power armor become god-mode?

I was joking about the Bioshock Infinite copy, but this kind of looks like Bethesda's take on Bioshock Infinite.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Why not take 10 intellect and ride the extra levels?.

Presumably because there'll be a level cap. Bethesda are generally quite good at balancing build choices against each other.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Why not take 10 intellect and ride the extra levels?

What extra levels? And APs are also used for sprinting so agility is presumably useful there. They will probably also be perks with attribute requirements.

Since when did power armor become god-mode?

Have you played Fallout 1? It was also god mode in the lore. Fallout 3/NV were actually a departure from it in that it was considerably shittier.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
To rephrase, won't players get level cap faster? I still assume one can be overleveled for certain fights in Fallout 3-4.

I just do not see the utility of perception and agility (outside stealth) if one does not need the VATS/bullet time.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Since when did power armor become god-mode?

Have you played Fallout 1? It was also god mode in the lore. Fallout 3/NV were actually a departure from it in that it was considerably shittier.
Eh, you never fought an enclave patrol full of Y2k pistols or gauss guns?

edit: you're right, in F1 it was godly. It was rare to come across enough plasma gun wielding SMs to pose a true threat.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom