Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Have you played Fallout 1? It was also god mode in the lore. Fallout 3/NV were actually a departure from it in that it was considerably shittier.

You can easily arrange it so that the player character gets power armor at the same time that the raiders figure out how to make it themselves. It's likely that the higher levels of FO4 will simply swift away from deathclaws back to human enemies as the player's most dangerous opponents. That way, PA will still feel very strong against non-humanoid opponents without unbalancing the game.

pippin

Fallout 3: The President is a Computer.

Fallout 4: The Computer is YOU.

INNOVATION!

I think it will be more like this

bicentennial-man.jpg

Viata

Arcane
So, how long until someone make a post-apoc game like the book The Postman? I had that feeling playing Fallout 1 and 2, NV didn't give me that(still a good game), but this shit, this is not what I want to play.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Why not take 10 intellect and ride the extra levels?

What extra levels? And APs are also used for sprinting so agility is presumably useful there. They will probably also be perks with attribute requirements.

Since when did power armor become god-mode?

Have you played Fallout 1? It was also god mode in the lore. Fallout 3/NV were actually a departure from it in that it was considerably shittier.

To rephrase, I meant faster leveling with high intellect. I presume that one can be overleveled for certain content, especially Bethesda content. The benefit seems far more straight forward and beneficial than perception. I am still not certain agility is all that great, even with extra sprinting.

As for the power armor, it was fantastic, but I do not remember being able to take multiple hits from Deathclaws without trouble.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I presume that one can be overleveled for certain content

Why?
The way I remember Fallout 3 balance is that the character became laughably strong with levels/perks. Here, if intellect boosts experience to a considerable degree, then the player can build perk/traits faster relative to the pace of the game.

Having additional traits at a faster pace seems more beneficial than perception, especially if one does not need to rely on VATS.

Gord

Arcane
If they keep level-scaling (even though they toned it down since Oblivion, there's a good chance they will), faster levels just means triggering the reward-center in the brian slightly more often and unlocking different enemies/equipment faster.
If there is no level scaling it just means that you need to explore/grind a little bit less.

Either way the in-game consequences look pretty unimpressive unless you are impatient.
I've never played a game where the "gain XP faster" trait was worth it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So they removed skills and perks? Wow. I guess we can't expect a New Vegas 2 then. They'll force Obsidian to use their new non-RPG system.
I don't think Feargus wants to have anything to do with Bethesda anymore.

Feargus is always looking for new contracts with publishers to keep Obsidian afloat, so nothing is impossible. It depends on what Beth wants. If they give Obsidian a chance to work on Fallout again, it would be interesting to see how they play around with these systems and engine. No Avellone though this time to give us another Dead Money and Old World Blues...

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OK I watched the gameplay stuff...
It will be certainly a nice shooter. Customisation and gunz and bases etc... Not bad.
I can't see it really being called an RPG anymore though. It's in the same group as Borderlands or something in my opinion

Gord

Arcane
Going by that vid posted earlier, skills are probably substituted by perks now. Instead of unlocking certain perks/abilities at 25-50-75-100 in a skill, they have "streamlined" (dumbed-down) it so far that the skill-levels in between are completely bypassed and you simply directly buy perks now. Probably a bit like having skills that go from 0 to 5.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I can't see it really being called an RPG anymore though. It's in the same group as Borderlands or something in my opinion

wut?

Special is in
Perks are in
leveling is in
inventory is in

they even expanded armor, now you have head body arm leg armor.

If elder scrolls are considered RPG than this still is RPG.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

wut?

Special is in
Perks are in
leveling is in
inventory is in

they even expanded armor, now you have head body arm leg armor.

If elder scrolls are considered RPG than this still is RPG.
Dude having arbitrary levels doesn't make a game an RPG... What I saw was twitch controls, jet packs, shooting from airplanes, 1000 gunz and stuff like that.
I will probably play it since it looks fun for what it is, but having the name Fallout is a disgrace, let's be honest. Could've called these shit Wasteland Commando and it would've been awesome and noone would care.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
borderlands is a boring diablo shooter.

This is skyrim with guns and Bethesda C&C, see the difference?

Mech

Cipher
I think we need to wait on if skill choices actually matter, and if there are actually C&Cs.

If not, then yes it is definitely closer to borderlands.

Nas92

Augur
Going by that vid posted earlier, skills are probably substituted by perks now. Instead of unlocking certain perks/abilities at 25-50-75-100 in a skill, they have "streamlined" (dumbed-down) it so far that the skill-levels in between are completely bypassed and you simply directly buy perks now. Probably a bit like having skills that go from 0 to 5.
Probably the perks will be governed by different attributes, instead of the earlier version where skill points were determined by INT. Doesn't necessarily have to be horrible, but Beth isn't able to pull off this kind of change properly.

Nas92

Augur
Probably the perks will be governed by different attributes

Why is that probable? It doesn't say anything about perks in the attribute descriptions.
If there are several perks, the they obviously wouldn't list the perks under the attribute which governs them. Still, you're right, I'm just assuming, we're just gonna have to wait until they give more meaningful information.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Probably the perks will be governed by different attributes, instead of the earlier version where skill points were determined by INT. Doesn't necessarily have to be horrible, but Beth isn't able to pull off this kind of change properly.

Nah, dude. I'm laying my bets down.

I'm betting:

• The perks tab conceals a Skyrim/Far Cry-like set of skill trees.
  • They now consider VATS Fallout's "magic"
  • Action points are your mana
  • You can use VATS to do various special moves at appropriate times, the skill trees will unlock additional ones.
  • Attributes will mean nothing more in the game than a set of vaguely interconnected difficulty sliders, each controlling how "challenging" a specific part of the game is, they will play no part in actual gameplay.
  • No parts of the perk tree, nor any dialogue option will be gated by attributes

You can see it coming. It's the Bethesda way of thinking.

pippin

AP will be used when you sprint, iirc, which makes it more like an action game. The crit bar is seriously weird.

Alfons

Prophet
OH COME THE FUCK ON! So instead of building on the formula of NV we get Fallout 3's retarded young cousin. How the fuck is it even possible? Why? I understand the idea of lowest common denominator but this?! Was there really a retard who played Fallout 3 and thought that the game was too complex?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom