Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The original Vault Dweller has been hinted to be a male, in fact, one of the premade characters, Albert Cole. If I'm not mistaken, you also meet the Vault Dweller in the "other" Brotherhood of Steel game, and he's a man.

well, that game is horrible and not really canon

Ultra

Educated
It does make it much less viable as a future history after the year it was published, but no less relevant.

Well the Soviets during the Cold War didn't have a ICBM for every city and town, so quite a few pockets of civilization would of survived.
There are documents of Soviet ICBM targets and If I recall correctly Australia's east coast was full of primary targets, contingencies in place could of ensured the continuation of the nation in the less affected and more infrastructure intact west coast had Able Archer in '84 triggered nuclear armageddon.

It's 'would have' and 'could have' you dumbfuck, also Fallout isn't about historical or futuristic realism and if there were a nuclear exchange humanity would by no means be shortly undergoing a new 'golden age' lmao. We'd be feral and brutish within 1 or 2 generations.
Put down your comic books and read an actual book. Canticle for Leibowitz, on the beach or the road, then watch Threads.

Catfish

Learned
It does make it much less viable as a future history after the year it was published, but no less relevant.

Heh, just made me realize I kind of mistook viability for relevance there :) my bad. However...

Well the Soviets during the Cold War didn't have a ICBM for every city and town, so quite a few pockets of civilization would of survived.
There are documents of Soviet ICBM targets and If I recall correctly Australia's east coast was full of primary targets, contingencies in place could of ensured the continuation of the nation in the less affected and more infrastructure intact west coast had Able Archer in '84 triggered nuclear armageddon.

The conflict is between the U.S. And China though, not Russia. Plus, in the real world these kind of bombs grew exponentially more deadly as development went on. The h-bomb was about a thousand times more powerful than the atom bomb, and I think I heard a further increase is theoretically limitless (though I may be wrong). IMHO it is feasible to assume that since in this world the transistor was never invented and advancements in atomic technology were the substitute, and given the time from Hiroshima to the Great War, I think it is entirely possible the bombs in that world would wipe out the vast majority of mankind.

However, this is not really he point of this discussion. The point is - it s fiction, and the story is viable in a fictional plain. That does not excuse lazy writing on the part of bethesder, which kills this planar viability with inconsistency and general dumbassery. And they will do it again, so it seems

Catfish

Learned
Fallout also fails to include space colonization in its lore (despite the GECK technology!), preservation of seeds (Norway and Russia already did this, for example) and the possibility of self-repairing autonomous robots taking care of vegetation while the humans are "away". This game is as fantasy as LOTR. That's why I have no problem with whatever Bethesda decides to do with it apart from retarded skill checks.

So you are okay with substituting a good fantasy story with a crappy one?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When FO3 came out we were naive and starved, now we are steeled against the decline, and saturated with enough alternatives, both released and unreleased.

Can't be bothered, won't buy.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
The original Vault Dweller has been hinted to be a male, in fact, one of the premade characters, Albert Cole. If I'm not mistaken, you also meet the Vault Dweller in the "other" Brotherhood of Steel game, and he's a man.

Would you accept the VD statue in FO2's NCR as proof then?

RBZBlqy.gif

Catfish

Learned

RBZBlqy.gif

Lenny referred to the Vault Dweller as a "him".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So this Sandra Reed person has already leaked all this info and no one believed her a year ago? That's a straight example of Cassandra Truth!

And now they want AMA - nice.
Reading the original post, nothing has really been confirmed other than stuff we already knew about from FO3: Commonwealth, Institute, etc. A ton of people speculated it would be set in the Commonwealth. The other stuff she mentions has yet to be confirmed one way or the other.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

RBZBlqy.gif

Lenny referred to the Vault Dweller as a "him".

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_Dweller's_memoirs

Adamaklas

Literate
Yay!
I bet they will have a super hardcore Rpg mode where besides having to drink water evry 30' you will have to scratch your fcking nose and worry not to stumble your lil toe in a couch !
Cuz that's what rpg's are ALL about !

But for the facts, the story never left it's solid state , the atmosphere is still peggy leeing around you and pretty much it's still the game you wanted minus the tacts ^^

retardation

Learned
Fallout also fails to include space colonization in its lore (despite the GECK technology!), preservation of seeds (Norway and Russia already did this, for example) and the possibility of self-repairing autonomous robots taking care of vegetation while the humans are "away". This game is as fantasy as LOTR. That's why I have no problem with whatever Bethesda decides to do with it apart from retarded skill checks.

No, of course not, I'm talking about lore raping here. We all know the campaign will be shit and we don't play Bethesda games for the campaign.

Catfish

Learned

No, of course not, I'm talking about lore raping here. We all know the campaign will be shit and we don't play Bethesda games for the campaign.

Ah, sorry then, I misread the initial statement. Though ro be honest I'm genuinely surprised by how much the lore raping thing bothers me :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Todd should fire F4 designers and hire InXile ones :D
If you are confused compare F4 trailer to this:

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
It ignores two basic facts - humans behave like cockroaches and that the Earth atmosphere, surface and subsurface would recover from the nuclear war, with vegetation in some regions basically untouched.

Fallout the original is a homage to the post-apocalypse novels of the 50's, such as A Canticle for Leibowitz. "The nuclear wasteland" was as scientific accurate as Star Wars' pewpew laser. But it doesn't matter.

Just because there's a nuclear war doesn't mean humans will become monkey-like retarded. Post-nuclear world (after the nuclear winter and devastating summer) would've seen the revival of the colonial period and the next golden age for the human civilization. Trade, culture and innovations would flourish after the 100 years or so. It would've been the exact opposite of the situation portrayed in Fallout. Monotheistic religion would've created a global police force and the one world government. Strict order based on class society and the teachings of the ancient Greek philosophers would've been established in the whole world.

which is exactly shown in Fallout 2 and NV, revival of new types of civilization and such. The whole theme of NV is about the emerging of new types of civilization and the fading of old ones.

Monotheistic religion would've created a global police force and the one world government. Strict order based on class society and the teachings of the ancient Greek philosophers would've been established in the whole world.

This is essentially what's gonna happen if you let Caesar win.

You all know you will all play it anyway because you like hiking sims and it's fallout.

Only seven times to make sure it really sucks, I swear on me mum.

Make the PC an android like in that one quest from FO3. :M

NV already did it, god OWB was pretty lulzy but still probably miles ahead of what bethesda will deliver. I forgot how bad FO3 was until I read some of the linked fallout 3 wikipedia entries and further pages about rivet city.

Probably going to pass on FO4, maybe someday I'll go the 75% off GOTY edition but I doubt it, FO 3 was the one game I never felt too awful about not purchasing after not removing it from inventory.

Lulsy quests aren't inherently a bad thing...people take the setting much more seriously than it was meant to be.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Judging by the leaked voice over documents leaked a few years ago, (which are proven to be correct by the trailer, face of the protagonist is 100% same)

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956 sorry about linking kotatu

Casting calls for both the male and female versions of the player character note that the player begins the game in a cryogenic sleep chamber.

it's going to be some cryogenic-sleep-in-a-vault scenario. And it will have a pre-war tutorial or something, considering the constant flashbacks in the trailer.

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm not proposing anything. The reality is that the network of people capable of building and steering the civilization, who are engaged in running the world, would've survived the nuclear war and then tried to rebuild it - this time under one ruler.

So basically you're one of the bethtardos who do not understand the setting. Okay.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let's hope it is not as dull and shit as Fallout 3.

You are setting the bar high up for fail already?

Well, the "latest" bar set by Beth themselves is Skyrim, and even Skyrim was better than Fallout 3, so they really would have to go way out of their way in order to fuck that up and make a game that's worse than Fallout 3. It would mean literally two steps back from their latest "achievement".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom