Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I find it somewhat uninspiring that this game was released back in 2015 and people still make 2 hour long documentaries about a simple conclusion that Fallout 4 is mediocre, shallow game with wasted potential and an insult to the source material. I mean I've just summed up what they are saying in one sentence. In all respect I don't mind them doing what they are doing but if they want me to watch whatever they are making they should make it more interesting than monolog in the shower and shorter. The mechanics are bad I wrote posts here myself about them but drooling over them doesn't make this game or future Bethesda games any better since again Fo4 was released quite some time ago. Let's just admit game's gameplay is cutting corners and it piles up to not as great as it could be experience.
christ i want starfield to be good

:0-13:
Do you know that it will be Skyrim with ships right?

lmao it's going to have way more randomly generated shit than that, watch the Todd Howard interview. It's all about punching some shit into an alogrithim and generating the game for you.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hours long videos to just say the obvious that Fallout 4 is Fallout 3 with one of those better shooting mods on the Nexus. Even worse are the people who say they liked Fallout 3 and were disappointed by Fallout 4, nigga, Bethesda sold you the same game, how did you like it then and is disappointed by it NOW? Noticed the shit RPG mechanics, shit worldbuilding and prosper writing from Bethesda only now?:lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
lmao it's going to have way more randomly generated shit than that, watch the Todd Howard interview. It's all about punching some shit into an alogrithim and generating the game for you.
Usually procedural generation is just codeword for lazy game design but actually, procedural generated quests would actually be an improvement over Bethesda usual quests.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Starfield will be medicore - everyone here will act like it's a cancerous tumor, but will then sink 1000+ hours to it so they can talk about how shitty it is.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Usually procedural generation is just codeword for lazy game design but actually, procedural generated quests would actually be an improvement over Bethesda usual quests.
it's a space game. it's a damn good choice. You know?

Codex Year of the Donut
it's a space game. it's a damn good choice. You know?
(real) space is fucking boring. Someone needs to sit down and explain this to gamedevs because holy shit it's empty as fuck. Any sort of interesting space game is not going to be based on the real universe, hate to break it to the ""science"" nerds who "LOVE SCIENCE!", but our universe is 99.999...% fucking nothing. There is a tiny amount of something in a vast, unfathomably large and expanding ocean of absolute nothingness. Imagine a few specks of sand in an ocean. And most of that something? It's completely uninteresting too.
This is precisely the reason NMS is garbage: it's just a bunch of nothing combined with empty planets.

Yosharian

Arcane
Just procedurally generate the whole fucking game, can't be any worse than what Bethesda shits out these days

xuerebx

Erudite
Any good gameplay overhaul mods for this? I don't care for settlement building, just making the combat and exploration more interesting. Played it for a few hours last year but my old PC couldn't take it, would like to try it out again.

Yosharian

Arcane
Any good gameplay overhaul mods for this? I don't care for settlement building, just making the combat and exploration more interesting. Played it for a few hours last year but my old PC couldn't take it, would like to try it out again.
F4EE 1.2 dropped about a month ago but Augspeed didn't have time to finish the precombines that will really push the modlist's performance.

If you're desperate to play something now then I recommend it, but personally I'm waiting for him to finish up.

Enderal My Way which is an Enderal SE modlist just dropped a few days ago, I'm playing that right now. You could try that if you want.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks. I have Enderal Forgotten Stories but haven't played it yet.

As for F4EE, unfortunately I don't have the DLCs. Went to check to buy them but I'm not paying €40 just to play the mod (maybe when the price goes down in a big sale).

Yosharian

Arcane

As for F4EE, unfortunately I don't have the DLCs. Went to check to buy them but I'm not paying €40 just to play the mod (maybe when the price goes down in a big sale).
They are definitely worth getting because Far Harbour is great. It's probably the best thing about FO4

DeepOcean

Arcane
If you arent on a hurry, just wait Sim Settlements 2 to be fully released and play it with Horizon when eventually a compatibility patch is released, Sim Settlements 2, contrary with the previous version, is actually releasing a new main campaign with new main quests to actually finish the building mechanics Bethesda left half assed. When it is fully released, you will be playing pratically another game. They are currently on Chapter One, supposedly the next chapters wont take that long as the basic codebase of the mod is ready.

Gargaune

Magister

They are definitely worth getting because Far Harbour is great. It's probably the best thing about FO4
Far Harbour is proof that Bethesda can write a decent ARPG if they set their minds to it. Nuka World is proof that they don't want to.

Yosharian

Arcane

Far Harbour is proof that Bethesda can write a decent ARPG if they set their minds to it. Nuka World is proof that they don't want to.
Nuka World made me want to murder some kittens honestly

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Nuka World is just more of the base game. You pick one of the retarded factions, you do settlement bullshit, and you fight hundreds of monsters in an amusement park.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent

And if they want to maximize profits, they're right not to. I remember thinking that what sold copies was brand recognition more than anything. Morrowind was a great game, a lot of people liked it, it only makes sense that Oblivion will sell more. I used to think that constant simplification and removal of mechanics didn't play any part in how well a game sells. But then I saw some of the reactions to Underrail and Kingmaker. Now, they're both games with some flaws, especially Kingmaker. But crying about the difficulty? As hard as those games are on a blind, first playthrough, they're just as easy to break on the hardest difficulty once you know what you're doing.

And then it dawned on me. People really don't want challenge. They don't wanna watch a 3 hour Tarkovsky film, they want to watch Marvelverse capeshit while eating popcorn. And everything Bethesda, BioWare, Obsidian and whoever the fuck else have done, they've done in recognition of that one simple truth. Simplifying shit and gimmicky gameplay systems sell more units.

DeepOcean

Arcane
once you know what you're doing.
Most people who watch movies arent fans of cinema, most people who play games arent fans of video games, they pick games like they buy hamburgers, they could care less, they just wanna see things going boom, boom, they are the normies, they dont care into learning to eventually know what they are doing. Any mass entertainment product without mods are complete garbage as a rule with rare exceptions because they need to sell to those people so they are made for their expectations. Games had the chance of being good before they became mass entertainment, nowdays, only hope for niche games and mods. Pathfinder has the advantage that OwlCat will be punished if they move too far from their niche, iso rpgs have zero mass market potential even if they replace the gameplay with tic tac toe.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"My, "Todd is a cunt," theory is further backed up by the absence of special edition versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, as doing so would be a license to print money, yet doing so would showcase NV's vastly superior design. "

the sad part is that a smart producer would use the opportunity to add the things NV did better to FO3. Not that it would help. Plus, NV is far from perfect.. largely because of its engine... but some deisgn choices are 'iffy'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom