Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Even modded experience can't salvage this.
You might be able to plug some holes, like the atrocious perk system or pimp up the graphics if that is a major issue for you, but the core problem remains: the horrible writing.
It would take a total conversion to fix that, until you couldn't even define it as "Bethesda's FO4" anymore.
A mod to "fix HP bloat"? Why? You want everything to die in one hit? The game is easy enough already, unless you practice the ancient art of self-limitation.

Just play the vanilla version in all it's "glory" and be done with it.
It can offer some decent entertainment if you don't think too much about it, and the Foul Harbour DLC is actually pretty good. :obviously:

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
There's really no reason to play the game at all unless you just want to experience a subpar, boring game with no real redeeming features.
Alas, if only it were more like...
Fallout 76.
Im not trying to be snide here but you WERE the one praising FO76 and how its "fixed now".

It's more RPG than Cyberspunk or even Twitcher 3.
All three are Action-Adventure RPGs, they're just not particularly good at the last bit, though Witcher 3 has its C&C to make up for it. The other two... Yes/Sarcastic Yes/No (but Yes) on the one hand, Press T to Answer (or You'll Answer Automatically) on the other.

And its extensive moddability adds to its roleplaying factor, since it allows you to roleplay as a game developer.
True, we have so few Horror RPGs.

A mod to "fix HP bloat"? Why? You want everything to die in one hit?
Yes, and the other way around. High lethality on both sides, also known as the STALKER way.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
No, that's the Clear Sky way.
We don't talk about that 'round these parts.
While the CS part is true, they definitely did that in the first game as well. Back when I confused it with an open world RPG and went back and forth doing artifacts fetchquest for shitty rewards, I had to pass by the scrapyard a lot. Since the world does not evolve until you do mainquest parts, they would always be waaay back pistol sniping me... or a group just fell out off the sky right in front of me.
Fun times.

Gave me a precious sad memory moment tho, when I looted the silenced AKSU off a random bandit. That meant the named NPC at the yard had finally kicked the bucket after hours of defense.
RIP. :salute:

Yosharian

Arcane
Even modded experience can't salvage this.
You might be able to plug some holes, like the atrocious perk system or pimp up the graphics if that is a major issue for you, but the core problem remains: the horrible writing.
It would take a total conversion to fix that, until you couldn't even define it as "Bethesda's FO4" anymore.
A mod to "fix HP bloat"? Why? You want everything to die in one hit? The game is easy enough already, unless you practice the ancient art of self-limitation.

Just play the vanilla version in all it's "glory" and be done with it.
It can offer some decent entertainment if you don't think too much about it, and the Foul Harbour DLC is actually pretty good. :obviously:
Or, instead, use an automated mod list which literally takes 30 mins to install and makes nearly everything about the game better

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Or, instead, use an automated mod list which literally takes 30 mins to install and makes nearly everything about the game better
Gawd no!
I will never install some premade modpack or fanmade patch for anything again. VTM:B burned me for life.
30% useful fixes, 70% crappy additions of wannabe armchair gamedesigners.
Don't want. :obviously:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Gawd no!
I will never install some premade modpack or fanmade patch for anything again. VTM:B burned me for life.
30% useful fixes, 70% crappy additions of wannabe armchair gamedesigners.
Don't want. :obviously:

Its a similar issue with Stalker.
A lot of modpacks have useless shit I don't care about.
Get your Bullet time and Metro armor sets out of my Stalker, dammit.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Even worse when game designers look at popular mods and then add stuff to their basegame sticking out like a sore thumb.

Like FONV.
Popular mod for FO3 was modern armor to look like a Cock of Duty dropout. Cue FONV to add a "modern" looking Colt Commando (with digi camo IIRC). Wut. :hahano:

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm not saying blindly install a mod list at random but saying they're all bad because a curator selected the mods for you is dumb. There are plenty of mod list creators who know what they are doing.

soulburner

Cipher
F4 is an RPG? What?
Perceive it as 3D dungeon crawl/roguelike dudes - you will like it.
As I posted in this thread a while ago, when we treat F4 as a Far Cry kind of game, but with dialog options (even if mostly meaningless) - it's quite enjoyable. One must simply forget it's called "Fallout" and let go of any expectations associated with the name.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
I'm not saying blindly install a mod list at random but saying they're all bad because a curator selected the mods for you is dumb. There are plenty of mod list creators who know what they are doing.

The only real way you know what you like and what you're going to get is to go and install mods by themselves, instead opting for list of someone's favorites.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One must simply forget it's called "Fallout" and let go of any expectations associated with the name.

TBH is there really any point in having expectations when even Fallout 2 alienated some people, Fallout Tactics plays quite differently (and AFAIK it is even less well received), Brotherhood of Steel is just a top down shooter for consoles, Fallout 3 is a completely different game to any previous one, Fallout New Vegas also might as well be its own game in the same universe (Fallout 4 that i'm still playing feels closer to Fallout 3, though so far i'd say it is an improvement in almost all aspects) and Fallout 76 is an MMO-wannabe-or-something.

As far as i can see every Fallout after the first one has been different enough to make people dis/like it.

Yosharian

Arcane

The only real way you know what you like and what you're going to get is to go and install mods by themselves, instead opting for list of someone's favorites.
The only way to play with many mods that I like is to rely on the expertise of someone whom I trust to do a good job of putting them all together in a curated mod list. I already did the whole make my own mod list thing for fallout 4. It lasted about 20 hours before it died from instability. And many of the mods turned out to be not what I'd hoped.

The idea is, you pick a curator that has the same tastes as you roughly. Augspeed favours immersion and realism which is what I want too. That's why I like his mod list. The majority of his mods are ones I would choose to install, and the others are ones I can't wait to try out.

Also many mods lists are modular so you can adapt them to your liking, Ultimate Skyrim is a perfect example of that.

And stability wise these mod lists have so much manpower behind them that they are going to be a 100x more stable than anything you can produce on your own.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
The only way to play with many mods that I like is to rely on the expertise of someone whom I trust to do a good job of putting them all together in a curated mod list.

Sounds more like user issue of not knowing how to handle a content of the mod. I trust myself over others in form of making my own mod list. The existence of tools like xEdit does help a lot.

Yosharian

Arcane
The only way to play with many mods that I like is to rely on the expertise of someone whom I trust to do a good job of putting them all together in a curated mod list.

Sounds more like user issue of not knowing how to handle a content of the mod. I trust myself over others in form of making my own mod list. The existence of tools like xEdit does help a lot.
Well bully for you.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's really no reason to play the game at all unless you just want to experience a subpar, boring game with no real redeeming features.
Alas, if only it were more like...
Fallout 76.
Im not trying to be snide here but you WERE the one praising FO76 and how its "fixed now".
FO4:
aYuBq6s.jpg

MIocG5I.jpeg

FO76:
d0e15ee9-e15c-42ab-a674-7f95f65248cf-1.png

fx8pdcsfjl5zeglcydbc.png

And it's not even a fair comparison because FO4 hides the identical dialogue options behind a dialogue wheel so you don't realize they're identical.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think, someone itt asked about mods fro FnV rigth?
I had the mod list I searched for myself, but failed miserably when it came to a moment I actually was need to compile them somehow.
It was depressing as fuck btw - I was just thinking something like "I'll somehow sort it out". Yeah, sure, sorted like in nightmare.
Tomorrow I'll look if something left in FnV folder, and put it here.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Sorry, I may have posted this already, but, dialogue issues aside, FO4 in Survival/Hardcore Mode (or whatever it's called) is a downright TRIP! Suuuuper fun, as long as u like an extremely high challenge and only being able to save by sleeping in beds. :) Seriously, though, it was challenging, even with power armor, and a lot of fun to play. I only played a handful of hours, though, and need to get back to it someday. And if you don't like the saving mechanic, u can use mods to change that, but I'd recommend giving it a shot as-is first. It makes a simple thing like finding a bed its own adventure. :)

Yosharian

Arcane
Sorry, I may have posted this already, but, dialogue issues aside, FO4 in Survival/Hardcore Mode (or whatever it's called) is a downright TRIP! Suuuuper fun, as long as u like an extremely high challenge and only being able to save by sleeping in beds. :) Seriously, though, it was challenging, even with power armor, and a lot of fun to play. I only played a handful of hours, though, and need to get back to it someday. And if you don't like the saving mechanic, u can use mods to change that, but I'd recommend giving it a shot as-is first. It makes a simple thing like finding a bed its own adventure. :)
Now play it with F4EE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom