Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's pretty sad that we've come so far that the 11 year old Xbox shitters who got Fallout 3 for Christmas are now nostalgic over it and think it was some sort of masterpiece.

Late Bloomer

Educated
It's pretty sad that we've come so far that the 11 year old Xbox shitters who got Fallout 3 for Christmas are now nostalgic over it and think it was some sort of masterpiece.

Yeah it's always terrible when people had fun playing games and as the years pass remember their favorite games in a positive light. :roll: You don't have games that people consider shit, but you enjoy them regardless?

BanEvader

In another 20-30 years, the Fallout 3 shitters will be the oldfags, telling all the youngins how good vidya used to be in their day.
Meanwhile our classics will go the way of arcade games. An entry on some wikipedia list that no one alive has ever played.
All those games will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah. We all know that the things that were happening when you were 12 were objectively better than anything that came before or since.

dextermorgan

Arcane
So I noticed this was on Game Pass and figured I'd do my due diligence and try a run - Jesus this shit is so boring. It's an achievement of sorts tbh.

How stunning and brave for you to admit something so controversial.
Yes, I'm widely known around these here forums as the guy that shies away from expressing unpopular opinions :lol:

Ravielsk

Magister
Found this series of videos. They seem well though-out and make a lot of interesting points.

First video is all the good things, second video is all the bad plus a recap.

Haven't played the game yet, so can't comment.

MATN? Really? I mean why not post Oxhorn while you are at it he at least has the decency to install booby mods to make his rambling slightly more digestible.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I went with Institute.
Because Minutemen are boring and annoying, BoS is overdone and fuck the Railroad.
I also wanted to see why the Institute is considered so evil by the fanbase, and other then them being poorly written, I didn't really see the problem. I've seen worse.

Unwanted

Meme Knight

Unwanted
I went with Institute.
Because Minutemen are boring and annoying, BoS is overdone and fuck the Railroad.
I also wanted to see why the Institute is considered so evil by the fanbase, and other then them being poorly written, I didn't really see the problem. I've seen worse.
The Institute is comically evil, though comically evil characters are usually written for a joke, but the institute actually wants to be taken seriously, so seriously that they view their vile machinations as "the best for humanity", they do these things and aren't even aware of the ramifications behind their actions, with the paranoia and all that, even when asked for the explanation for why they commit these absurdly evil actions, they simply say "you wouldn't understand", i would've been less confused if they just purposefully corrupted my save file at that moment.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I went with Institute.
The Institute is comically evil, though comically evil characters are usually written for a joke, but the institute actually wants to be taken seriously, so seriously that they view their vile machinations as "the best for humanity", they do these things and aren't even aware of the ramifications behind their actions, with the paranoia and all that, even when asked for the explanation for why they commit these absurdly evil actions, they simply say "you wouldn't understand", i would've been less confused if they just purposefully corrupted my save file at that moment.
Yeah, as I said, they're really poorly written. Which to me doesn't make them evil with all of the shit they get up to; it just makes them stupid.
Caesar's Legion, the Children of the Cathedral and the Enclave came across as more evil because they were comparatively better written and you knew what they wanted and their actions and motivations made sense (although the Enclave were also sort of cartoon stupid evil).

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
You did join the Brotherhood of Steel on your first Fallout 4 playthrough... right?
Railroad because it was the most tolerable faction in presentation.

It says a lot about Fallout 4's presentation in general that the faction who uses their own name as the password to their secret headquarters, who go out of their way to explain that the arrows drawn on their markers indicate directions and who ask you point blank if you'd die to protect glorified toasters is still one of the more tolerable, digestible groups in the game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I actually found them quite insufferable. They're as arrogant and holier than thou as the Institute, except without the means to back up their claims and the game really wants you to like them.
Victoria Watts was a bitch in FO3 and the Railroad in 4 are no different.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
I actually found them quite insufferable. They're as arrogant and holier than thou as the Institute, except without the means to back up their claims and the game really wants you to like them.
Because unlike Institute they are not mysterious fuck alls who don't tell why they are doing they shit they are doing and for everybody but old cancer patient liking hating me.
Railroad gives the best companion, ability to add armor mods for clothing and has better aesthetics at their base than Institute.
Besides it's clear what they do and unlike Minutemen isn't as generic.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, and what they want to do is stupid. Yes, free the immortal androids that are stronger and faster than humans and are prone to malfunction by screwing around with their programming and blending them into society, what can possibly go wrong?
The game trying to make a parallel between them and Black slaves doesn't help matters. It was dumb when David Cage did it and it was dumb here.

Both the Institute and Railroad are idiots, but with the Institute there is at least some degree of ambiguity and it's heavily implied that you can determine what their end game is (which was done in a really shoddy and lazy way, imo, indicating to me that the writers didn't know what to do with them either and just went "fuck it, let the player decide"). The railroad doesn't have that. You know exactly what they want and what they stand for, and it's idiotic.

Also, you mean to tell me a bunch of hobos in a basement have the means to take on the BoS and the Institute? Hobos who "hide" their base in the most obvious way possible, and the Institute doesn't wipe them out for...reasons? Who somehow have the means to make powerful railgun tech out of garbage? Really?

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yeah, and what they want to do is stupid. Yes, free the immortal androids that are stronger and faster than humans and are prone to malfunction by screwing around with their programming and blending them into society, what can possibly go wrong?

Worse than that is the fact that, if you can stomach them long enough to complete the main story while aligned with them, they nuke the Institute, thus rendering the synths their whole operation revolves around into an endangered species.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
What they do is give androids a mean to be free instead of pawn of Institute, and that's stupid? I mean you be you, if you want to enslave people for being of specific group.
Knowing what they stand for is what makes them good, because I'm more inclined about being with someone I can relate than somebody who I have no idea what the fuck they are gonna do.
Also don't diss hobo aesthetics, you know they rule the world when rich dies out.
Worse than that is the fact that, if you can stomach them long enough to complete the main story while aligned with them, they nuke the Institute, thus rendering the synths their whole operation revolves around into an endangered species.
That's a solution, no more synths. The alternative is endless loop of rebooting synths.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah it's a solution all right. A final solution if you would. Make up your mind, either they are deserving of rights and are "alive" and therefore should be "free" or have no rights and are subject to what is essentially genocide and mind wipes. That's like ending slavery by wiping out humanity. After all, no more humans means no more slaves, right?
You can't "enslave" something that was literally created to be a tool. Go liberate your Alexa then. After all, it speaks and has an AI, so therefore it should deserve freedom, right? Do not conflate enslavement of real people with what are effectively meat golems.

This "freedom" results in real humans getting killed because we've seen how synths are prone to malfunction. Which in a post apocalyptic setting where life is already hard, is not something you want. Raiders are already a problem. You know what would be worse? An immortal raider that's faster and stronger than humans.
If you think about the implications and ramifications of their actions it's not as virtuous as you want it to be.

Explain how a bunch of wastelanders living underground have the industry and tech to make a functioning railgun that just doesn't explode in their faces.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom