Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Vyvian

Educated
Looks like the Grounded Commonwealth was a little too grounded for today's world and was deleted from Moddb.
Remember all that stuff isn't a big deal unless you try to alter it, then you get a crusade led against you, but it's not a big deal!
At least it survives at Based Mods.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Looks like the Grounded Commonwealth was a little too grounded for today's world and was deleted from Moddb.
Remember all that stuff isn't a big deal unless you try to alter it, then you get a crusade led against you, but it's not a big deal!
At least it survives at Based Mods.

Based Mods never updated to the newest version of Grounded Commonwealth. To get the newest one you must go to

https://odysee.com/@GroundedCommonwealth:8/GC-Public-Beta:1

the_shadow

Arcane
I got Fallout 4 on sale and am a few hours into the game. Here is my train of thoughts throughout the 3 hours:

- "Oh great, a scripted intro showing the main characters family life. I do not care. Just get me to the Wasteland."

- "The main character's wife who I knew for one minute was shot. Meh."

- "A snipe hunt for a family member. This story feels familiar."

- "What's with these controls and user interface, they are horrible. Did they design this for console players?"

- "We were test subjects for cyrogenic suspended animation? That's kind of an interesting plot point, although I'm not sure how you'd provide nutritional support remotely for someone in a tube for decades."

- "Wait, why are there skeletons everywhere? Surely after 200 years people would have disposed of all the corpses. And why did paper thin wooden walls survive a nuclear blast and centuries of the elements? Talk about breaking the immersion, it feels like you crawled out of the vault 20 years after the nukes dropped."

- "Why are loading times so long, I have a modern rig and this is an old game?! This is worse than Playstation 1 loading times. "

- "I'm trying to approach a computer console and the game keeps locking when the main character needs to sit down. Reddit says this has something to do with the frame rate. This game has been out for 8 years and there isn't an official patch to iron out this issue?"

- "Err, main character, you keep telling people you are looking for your son who is a 1 year old baby. You are aware you were refrozen after they took your kid, he could be any age or even dead by now."

- "They got rid of statistics?! And the perks are cookie cutter. This series really is going backwards."

- "I'm having a scripted fight with a DeathClaw already as part of the main questline? That doesn't seem appropriate. Oh well, I'll just camp in a building and plink him down with a 10mm."

- "OK, I have to go to Diamond City to try and find my kid, but you also want me to do side-quests for the Minutemen. If I were in-character why on Earth would go off on a tangent and do side-quests when I have a lead to find my son?"

- "Hmm, Diamond City is surrounded by supermutants far above my level who I waste all my ammo on. I probably should have done the Minutemen series of side-quests even if it didn't align with the main characters motviations."

- "Wow, Diamond City is pathetic. 200 years after the bombs dropped and this is the best humanity in this area could manage?"

- "This female Truther news reporter is annoying as anything, but I guess I have to deal with her to progress the plot."

- "Why is there a bartender who speaks with a Russian accent? That only makes sense for a first-generation immigrant from Russia, who wouldn't exist in this setting. I'm probably overthinking this."

- "So now I'm fighting gangsters who are based on the 1940's mafia. This has been done to death in the Fallout series, and I never really thought it fit the setting. Boy there are a lot of them, is combat really my only option to rescue their hostage? Seems kind of dumb to launch a frontal assault on a heavily entrenched group of armed gangsters but I guess that's what I have to do. Aiming is horrible, I'll just have to run up to within a meter of them and shoot them in the head."

"Why are the loading times getting even longer?!"

So yeah, probably not the best gaming experience so far.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's just a bad game.
Of all the things you mention, a few in particular soured my experience:
  • The whole scripted Deathclaw fight in Power Armor. This is when I realized people were not exaggerating and you truly receive a suit of Power Armor an hour into the game.
  • The disgusting forced diversity. I'm not talking about the existence of black people. I'm talking about the Russian brothers, the Korean (?) doctor, the Latino arms dealer, the Japanese family who's quest you likely receive early in your stay in Diamond City.
  • The retarded gangsters. It makes sense in New Vegas, it makes some sense in Fallout 4. But why does Bethesda insist with "it's the 1940s but in the future!". It's their idea of Fallout, and that's how it goes. It doesn't get any less retarded because of that, though.
I quit playing the game and toying with the idea of giving it a third chance once I realized there's nothing attractive lying there. Skyrim, on a recent 3-hour replay, proved to be the same thing.

I should try Daggerfall someday.

Bethesda games are shit, news at eleven™.

2 things really kill Fallout 4:

1. The writing
2. The quests

Everything else is also mostly shit, but you know, if the writing and quests weren't so retarded, you could kinda play it under the whole Bethesda lowered expectations thing. That's what I did with Fallout 3. But F4 writing is aggressively retarded, and the quests cycle like MMO daily grind quests, lol, and also have the writing mentioned above.

Also, Fallout 1, which had the best atmosphere of all the games in the series, had this wasteland after nuclear war feel. You got your desert wastes, small settlements eking by, raiders, wild west feel, etc. Fallout 2 and New Vegas weren't as good at that, but still nailed some of it. Fallout 4: weird carousel cities, carnival feel, synths underground railroad or some shit, baseball fields, how does any of this shit fit into a post-apocalyptic atmosphere?

MerchantKing

Learned
People still play this game enough to post in a thread for it? I stopped playing when I found out the big booby mods weren't very much better than Skyrim.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Fallout 4: weird carousel cities, carnival feel, synths underground railroad or some shit, baseball fields, how does any of this shit fit into a post-apocalyptic atmosphere?

It's 200 years after the bombs. If anything, the modern Fallout games don't go far enough in this direction.

Fallout 4: weird carousel cities, carnival feel, synths underground railroad or some shit, baseball fields, how does any of this shit fit into a post-apocalyptic atmosphere?

It's 200 years after the bombs. If anything, the modern Fallout games don't go far enough in this direction.

You are missing the point though. What makes Fallout interesting in the first place IS the distinct post-apocalyptic setting. Do you remember how cool F1 was the first time you played it? The wastes, the caravans, the ramshackle settlements, mutated survivors, etc. Similar for Mad Max universe and other settings like that. It doesn't matter what the time point is, if you are just gonna stuff the setting with a bunch of circus shit that has nothing to do with the original atmosphere, what's the point?

Silverfish

Arbiter
I agree in principle, but still get hung up on the amount of time that's passed. I'd have no issue if the games were set twentysomething years after the bombs, but 200 is just too much of a leap to still have Mad Max stuff. I don't think the setting makes all that much sense even in the original games, so Beth's theme park nonsense, so long as it's marginally entertaining, doesn't butt against my sensibilities the way it does for others. Granted, I don't have an in-built love for the classic Fallouts, since I didn't grow up with them and wasn't exposed to the series until F3 anyway, so my perspective is skewed.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
fallout4starfield.jpg

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Don Peste The information shows Fallout 4 (bethesda 2015) is beating Starfield (bethesda 2023) in concurrent player count just a few months after Starfield released.

Gargaune

Magister
Are they doing the Skyrim re-release thing, but with Fallout 4 now? That would be really low.
Nah, it's worse. Skyrim SE released as a separate product, free for prior owners, this is gonna be a straight patch, like they just did with Skyrim last week. It's most likely gonna break the mod scene in exchange for a handful of minor bugfixes, "performance upgrades" (as if a 2015 game needs an FPS boost on current hardware) and, most importantly, the Creation Club overhaul. It's time for Horse Power Armour Armour!

Does the Bethesda Fallout fan base even like Fallout 4 more than 3 and New Vegas? I can get Bethesda putting Skyrim on everything, it was by a wide margin the best selling game they ever made. But Fallout 4 sales are pretty similar to Fallout 3. I’d also think some better looking (with better combat mechanics) updated version of Fallout 3 would generate more hype among their fan base than a updated version of their 2015 game.

Bethesda really is run by moron, which is probably why they needed to sell themselves off to Microsoft despite the money their games make. With the amount of time they knew they’d have between single player Fallout games, (it’ll be around 2030 when Fallout 6 comes out I’m sure) it makes it seem even stupider they didn’t have Avalanche Studios (with id Software) making some Fallout spinoff game in the Apex engine that allowed players to play some big open world Fallout with vehicles in it instead of Rage 2. An Avalanche Fallout could’ve sold Fallout number, maybe like 10 million, probably more; but Rage 2 I think sold less than a few million.

tritosine2k

Erudite
avalanche makes AA games, not that it can't look better than AAA:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom