Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Monad

Learned
Eh get past the performance, actually judge the game.

pippin

Eh get past the performance, actually judge the game.

In his reviews tb spends half of the time talking about performance and optimization. I think it's fair, considering most people don't talk about stuff like that seriously.

Monad

Learned
In his reviews tb spends half of the time talking about performance and optimization. I think it's fair, considering most people don't talk about stuff like that seriously.

Whining about performance is half of what you hear about. Yes it's important but to me it would be like a book critic spending half their review of a novel talking about the deficiencies of the ink used in it's printing. That's not the best analogy but it works.

If he can't get the game running that's one thing but we get it you can get stuck on things and have to reload, framerate issues yadayadayada. All of those things don't tell me if it's the kind of game i would like, they don't tell me about the content of the game or the quality of the writing etc.

Jackalope

Arcane
Whining about performance is half of what you hear about. Yes it's important but to me it would be like a book critic spending half their review of a novel talking about the deficiencies of the ink used in it's printing. That's not the best analogy but it works.

No, it doesn't. This is not just ink. It's the game mechanics, it's the entire engine that runs things and makes things work (or not work). It's way more than ink and should be commented on. If you want to make an analogy with books, the quality of the story and text might be very important, the book can be awesome, it might even be a masterpiece, but people should complain if it's written on used toilet paper and if the ink stinks like dried poop.

Angthoron

Arcane
I usually skip right over TB's "And now we'll talk about settings" bits of reviews if I end up watching something of his, but this is the one case where it's actually fairly on-point. Beth has been doing a horrifyingly bad job with Gamebryo since probably Oblivion, and with the budget, team size and dev time that they have it's simply unacceptable. Even the comparably tiny Larian managed to make better use of the same engine for DKS. Granted, they have fewer moving pieces, there's no hundreds of trashy items lying on the ground you can glitch out the physics of, but here's a thought - if it causes your engine to stall even the high-end computers, maybe don't do it. And then there was the whole Skyrim thing where they forgot to optimize it for x64 while compiling, and all the other bullshit.

So fuck no, someone's got to tear a new asshole to Beth for their amazing technical chops as well.

rado907

Savant
Man, this game really does get much better after a while. Reminds me of Gothic 3 - tons of fine content locked behind a shitty beginning. I've clocked in 36 hrs and am near the end of the main quest having completed a fair amount of side quests. Like in other Bethesda games, there is enough content for two full barely-overlapping play-throughs.

It turns out there are many companions and they are pretty cool. But it takes a while to find them. They have their quirks and abilities and their likes and dislikes. You can put them in power armor and equip them with guns. And they make appropriate remarks depending on the situation. For example, at one point I approached a nuclear silo with Piper, and she asked "Is this a tomb?" When you stop for a while, she finds a chair and sits down... One time we passed by her sister in Diamond City, and the two had a chat. The companion behavior is elaborate, a real achievement.

What really stands out is the amazing attention to detail. Many areas are stunning - for example the vault near Diamond City, the Brotherhood's dirigible, the Glow, and the Goodneighbor town. Meeting the Vault-Tech salesman was cool. At one point, one character asked me for a chair. It was corny, but it got me. Toward the end of the story a clusterfuck ensues, and you have to make some heart-wrenching decisions. The feelz are real.
Most missions are cookie-cutter "go-and-explore-our-wonderful-dungeon" material, but some stand out. For example the "Lost Patrol" Brotherhood mission. Or the microbrew robot mission that you can get in Goodneighbor.

Yeah... The game's a pretty good show all. Definitely worth the ticket. I only wish Bethesda would make a good PC interface for their next title. Also some kind of a vacuum cleaner and/or dismantler that can just suck loot from around me and break it down into components. The crafting system is even more annoying that usual.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
I am not sure whether you gathered this, but the framerate, your fps, is directly coupled to the game mechanics in this game. You walk and shoot as fast as the framerate dictates. Timing depends on it. It's a serious, potentially game-breaking issue. We are not talking pretty graphics here.

Regarding how much time he spends on the point, TB spends lots of time on everything. He's a bit wordy for my taste.

svvvs

Educated
Just watched some lp's various lpers and it's really bad in tech department too and im talking about things like: roof spawns of essential npc,disappearing body parts,etc. So no wonder people get mostly on that at the moment.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
kKeAGKP.png

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
What are the two bars left and right on the pipboy player status screen (just above the bottom one)?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Man, this game really does get much better after a while. Reminds me of Gothic 3 - tons of fine content locked behind a shitty beginning. I've clocked in 36 hrs and am near the end of the main quest having completed a fair amount of side quests. Like in other Bethesda games, there is enough content for two full barely-overlapping play-throughs.

It turns out there are many companions and they are pretty cool. But it takes a while to find them. They have their quirks and abilities and their likes and dislikes. You can put them in power armor and equip them with guns. And they make appropriate remarks depending on the situation. For example, at one point I approached a nuclear silo with Piper, and she asked "Is this a tomb?" When you stop for a while, she finds a chair and sits down... One time we passed by her sister in Diamond City, and the two had a chat. The companion behavior is elaborate, a real achievement.

What really stands out is the amazing attention to detail. Many areas are stunning - for example the vault near Diamond City, the Brotherhood's dirigible, the Glow, and the Goodneighbor town. Meeting the Vault-Tech salesman was cool. At one point, one character asked me for a chair. It was corny, but it got me. Toward the end of the story a clusterfuck ensues, and you have to make some heart-wrenching decisions. The feelz are real.
Most missions are cookie-cutter "go-and-explore-our-wonderful-dungeon" material, but some stand out. For example the "Lost Patrol" Brotherhood mission. Or the microbrew robot mission that you can get in Goodneighbor.

Yeah... The game's a pretty good show all. Definitely worth the ticket. I only wish Bethesda would make a good PC interface for their next title. Also some kind of a vacuum cleaner and/or dismantler that can just suck loot from around me and break it down into components. The crafting system is even more annoying that usual.

:abyssgazer:

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Beth have done something really cool design-wise in this game: So, from Levels 25-30 you notice you begin to be able to go through fights fairly easy, stockpiling ammo and meds. And then, at Level 30-31, they twist this on you. A whole slew of very powerful enemies get introduced and the game gets VERY hard to the point where you're running out of ammo a lot.

This isn't Raiders getting new armour scaling, this is the game introducing Invisible Deathclaws and new sub-types of enemies to fuck you up.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Been playing with this for a few hours and it's quite startling how cheap and ugly everything looks and feels. This game is like American cars used to be up until recently - big and boasty on the outside but once you're inside it's all nasty plastics and shoddy fittings, plus it handles like a wardrobe tumbling down a rocky slope.

The dialogue system is a shocker. I refuse to believe it's that mutilated. I must be missing something. Maybe it's gonna branch out into more complexity later on, I keep telling myself.

One thing kept me playing - it's not trivial anymore. A battle with a fucking deathclaw that chased me for ten minutes all over the starting town barely an hour in was refreshingly non Bethesda-like. If that's sign of what's coming in the combat department I might even stick around.
After that battle you will spend next 6+ hours battling raiders and bugs. Don't get too excited :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
TotalBiscuit's opinion about the game:
yknlfNN.jpg
He even mentioned shiitty dialogues.
I hope TB survives his cancer (small chance of that since he is going full chemo route), he is only voice in mainstream that still shits on games when they deserve to be shit on.
He also ripped DAI a new hole.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone is dying, some just have a more reliable estimate on the when than others. This is shit news. I know next to nothing about the guy, but I'm trying to imagine what it is, trying to forget such a fact, or getting used to it. There is always hope, as he says in that blog post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom