Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The sad part about Fallout 3 is that they demonstrated they kind of knew what a Fallout quest looked like. The very first quest in the main quest line, probably the first quest the designed, where you have to wheedle the name of DJ Fighting the Good Fight With His Voice out of wasted famous voice actor bar tender dude. It had some minor branching, you could exercise hacking, lockpick, speech, pickpocketing, barter, violence or just spend money to solve the thing.

It was also the only quest like it in the entire game. They had the right idea, just the Bethesda retardation field overtook them before they got anywhere with it.

Early to bait reviewers into being impressed and passing on the lair that the rest of the game is like that.
Like the Fargoth quest talked about ad nauseam in Morrowind hype. Or the recording of the many name variations in Fallout 4...used by one character in the game at the start and marketed as a feature.

edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Fallout 4's C&C is on the level of Bioshock's C&C.

/kenlevinevoice

'Choices... and consequence... do I hack the turret or bash this splicer with a wrench? Choices... and consequences.'

Fallout 4 is closer to something like Borderlands, Hellgate London, or Dead Island.

Is Hellgate London worth a trip to the high seas?

Humppaleka

Cipher
I had my share of fun with Hellgate: London with the Rebirth mod, but the last 5 hours or so became a terrible slog and I just ran through it so meh.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I've been saying this again and again, Bethesda make Bethesda games. They focus on exploring a well-built world
:hahyou:

Yes, at times it does go for style over realism. However, you have to admit the world art team do a very good job in creating an atmosphere and building things that look cool. Every inch of the world has a very complex pass of detail on it.

In regards to actual story world-building, yeah, I see your point. And in some cases I agree, a lot of it doesn't make sense. I don't think it has broken the canon of the Fallout lore, I get that to some a few of their explanations are a second-thought to including a certain element of previous Fallout games. (Super mutants)

That being said, Bethesda kinda shot themselves in the foot with a voiced protagonist in a way I don't understand the intention of. I got the impression that they wanted to get a serious emotional beat happening, however, their basic design philosophy got in the way of all that. The reason why dialogue options are mostly flavour is that no doubt making serious choices with that Dialogue UI would result in serious complaints. However, that UI exists since considering how you can freely move around and interact during convos a system that just works fast in giving you the gist of the option works best.

With the ending, I think it suffered from the fact that they can't really develop the character too far in any direction since players would complain that it's not their character, and that also they can't pull off something really dramatic and climatic since they also can't end the game at that point.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I like the Companions commenting on your actions and on the locations you visit.

It's cosmetic, but it feels like your progress and achievements are acknowledged.
Yeah that was actually a pretty neat addition. Sure, most of the time they just repeat the usual one-liners over and over but occasionally some little things shine trough. Like Pipes telling you "I'll be right back", spoonfeeding some poor villager her "truth", so he will never again sleep with both eyes closed.
Or super optimistic yet naive Curie asking every scientist or doctor where they studied or if they want to compare notes to help people. Only to be let down every time. Poor uuh girl...
There also seems to be one unique line for every location you visit, plus comments in dialogs (they took notes from FNV it seems).
Cait being able to lockpick for you and NotGarret hacking terminals is a nice touch, but perks are so overabundant that you don't really need it.
But it definitely adds a little bit of replay value.

Except Strong. Strong can rot whereever I dumped him. Unless you kill people and eat them he dislikes everything. I swear he even dislikes me breathing...

I other news:
When I first read the map could be traversed in less than 10 mins I was a little disappointed. But to be honest, the map is so densely packed you don't really notice it. In Skyrim you would spend 5-10 mins just hiking, admiring the scenery and pass by random cave #23. The urge to explore them went towards zero after a few of them, even dragur ruins were always the same stuff.
In FO4 you stumble over so many unique looking locations that I actually fear I break sequence by entering them, since so much effort must be tied to some quest I don't yet have. Quality over quantity. Well, for Beth standards at least.

Funfact: The BoS is now hiring Vertibird pilots! No experience or working eyesight required! Ask for payment up front, since chances that you make it back from your first run are zero.

Seriously, if Beth doesn't make pilots invulnerable unless shot by the player I need a mod for that. If those blind bats don't crash into each other they always get shot out by some random raider. I have seen already 5 birds crashing in 1 hours, considering that the blimp arrived with... 4 (or 8 if they use they use 1 docking station for 2 birds), there must be some secret vertibird plant somewhere I haven't found yet...

Reinar

Scholar
Heavily locked checkpoint full of ammunition. Oh man, I so want the riches inside, but I don't have high enough lockpick. All I can do is stare through the open window. :negative:
VG3JBpF.jpg

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
I HAVE URGENT NEWS

IF THE DOG HAS A TEDDY BEAR IN HIs INVENTORY HE PLAYS WITH IT GOTY GOTY BEST GAME BEST GAME

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Skillsystem is horrible, it forces you to spend way to much on SPECIAL shit because everything has a min level.
And that shit doesnt make sense, everybody can learn some decent lockpicking unless you have fucking parkinsons.
There's already a mod that removes the level requirements from perks. Those oughta get severely rebalanced, same with the attributes. CHA looks like even more of a dump stat than in F3/FNV.

Only 'useful' attributes are STR END and AGI. Others literally do nothing but enabling perks

That being said, Bethesda kinda shot themselves in the foot with a voiced protagonist in a way I don't understand the intention of. I got the impression that they wanted to get a serious emotional beat happening, however, their basic design philosophy got in the way of all that.

It was a common fan request. Same happened to Dragon Age, people would praise the story but say that "it's so strange to play as a mute".

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
That being said, Bethesda kinda shot themselves in the foot with a voiced protagonist in a way I don't understand the intention of. I got the impression that they wanted to get a serious emotional beat happening, however, their basic design philosophy got in the way of all that.

It was a common fan request. Same happened to Dragon Age, people would praise the story but say that "it's so strange to play as a mute".

And that is what happens when you let fans unfamiliar with RPGs call the shots. Shit happens.

MWaser

Arbiter

There's people who praise DAO's story? :roll:

pippin

There's people who praise DAO's story? :roll:

It received a GOTY award from the Codex once.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom