Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Bliblablubb

Arcane
effects have also been decreased from 2 hours to 30 seconds.

Bethesda just cannot into numbers. Just remember the Yao guai steak in FO4 was supposed to "add 10 dmg to your melee attacks". Instead it multiplied your melee dmg by 500%. AFAIK there isn't even the option to add a flat dmg number to attacks in the scripts. I don't think the official patches ever fixed that, like raiders with 80 str and all those typos that "just work" amirite?

On the plus side, Bethesda now learns that they have to fix every shitty bug eventually, or it will bite them in the ass. So there's hope the next TES gets an additional bugfixer, who is allowed to fix bugs beyond "we got an angry letter from microsoft again, it says "fix that shit or you are out".

Turjan

Arcane
Gamebryo is fine for a certain kind of game but by no means is it a solid technical foundation in the way that Source is built on top of idTech and UE4 is built on top of Unreal 1. Equating their 20 year old tech to everyone else's 20 year old tech is insane. Keep in mind they've stacked tons of middleware implementations on top of an already not so great foundation and you have a recipe for disaster.

Fun fact: Gamebryo was originally (pre-Morrowind even) developed for MMOs (specifically, for Dark Age Of Camelot).
Back then, it was known as NetImmerse.

Yeah, that's bascially all mentioned in the video. My one sentence summary wasn't exhaustive.

Turjan

Arcane
I'm genuinely expecting backlash either at the VGAs this year or at E3 next year. Cannot wait.
The worst thing you could do to the Toddler would be, that the assembled press sheeps deny him his celebrity feeling during his presentation.
No constant cheering when he shows something that "just works", no standing ovations when you can climb a mountain just because you can see it. Not even boo/hiss. Just.... silence.
It's a nice image, but didn't Bethesda make sure that wouldn't happen during the presentation? I thought they already had some of their employees sit close to a point where their cheering would end up on the recording.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not if a codexer goes there and shout at them to stop clapping.

Sitting through a Bethesda event is too much, but, if anyone's ever near Washington DC, I recommend the Bethesda Crab House (best crab you'll ever have). Even though BGS is technically in Rockville, the Crab House is so good that I bet Todd Howard and/or Pete Hines go there from time to time. Unless they're allergic to shellfish.

Go to the Bethesda Crab House, try the crab (or the crabcakes if you don't like smashing open crustaceans with a hammer), and if you happen to run into any recognizable BGS executives, you can give them some politely worded constructive criticism in true RPG Codex fashion. Also, you may want to take pictures because anyone eating at the Bethesda Crab House is almost certainly wearing a bib like a man-baby.

RapineDel

Augur
I love how one of the defenses of this game is "they wanted to do something different! Not just the same old Elder Scrolls, Fallout cycle". In Fallout, they got one of the richest IPs in video game history and their very best effort was to make it Oblivion with guns. To suggest they want to branch out or do anything beyond the bare minimum is serious delusion.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane

Sitting through a Bethesda event is too much, but, if anyone's ever near Washington DC, I recommend the Bethesda Crab House (best crab you'll ever have). Even though BGS is technically in Rockville, the Crab House is so good that I bet Todd Howard and/or Pete Hines go there from time to time. Unless they're allergic to shellfish.

Go to the Bethesda Crab House, try the crab (or the crabcakes if you don't like smashing open crustaceans with a hammer), and if you happen to run into any recognizable BGS executives, you can give them some politely worded constructive criticism in true RPG Codex fashion. Also, you may want to take pictures because anyone eating at the Bethesda Crab House is almost certainly wearing a bib like a man-baby.

some politely worded constructive criticism in true RPG Codex fashion.

Something like this? :shitandpiss:

Codex Year of the Donut
Fun fact: Gamebryo was originally (pre-Morrowind even) developed for MMOs (specifically, for Dark Age Of Camelot).
Back then, it was known as NetImmerse.
It was used for Rift(MMO). I remember the game running great for the time and looking very good.
Also, Divinity 2 used it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
best effort was to make it Oblivion with guns.
The irony is: FO3 was called "Lolblivion with guns", but it didn't really deserve it. Beth made quiet a lot of effort to bring a bit of Fallout to the new (console) kids, main complaints were writing and retardo locations like Megaton or Little Lamplight. But mechanically it was pretty decent design given what they had at hand. Look at how Obsidian fixed those writing problems and popped out a really good game with F:NV.

Fallout 4 on the other hand suffered from Skyrim's yuge success. Everyone else wanted to make "a game like Skyrim", obviously Bethesda's leadership as well. Beth has adopted a "no risk, copy what other successful games introduced" approach for a while now. Creativity seems to be overruled by an analysis of cleared achievments, popular mods and a vocal minority.

So this time we really got "Skyrim with guns", as they envisioned it on a spredsheet. Except a rushed low effort version of it. Skyrim's variety of landscapes was replaced "everything looks the same", all it's towns with different "styles" were now... not even bothered with. Players will build their own towns for us! Skills were replaced by perks, but instead of TES' "increasing-by-using" approach they stuck with XP, so if you decide at lvl20 you are now a master hacker despite never using a terminal? It just works.

For FO76 they once again drew the wrong conclusions, assuming exploration, base building and gunplay is all the players want.

As I said earlier, Beth will put the blame on that "external studio" if needed, and make sure everyone knows the next TES is completely "in-house" developed again, by the very same persons that did the yuge Skyrim. And had nothing to do with FO76...

Generic-Giant-Spider

Bethesda Crab House is okay but nothing compared to Captain Kutchie's AMAZING Key Lime Pies. If you've never had, you truly are missing a treat. Sometimes I'd drive as much as seven states over just to get a good seven or eight boxes of that delicious key lime pie to keep me well stocked for months. Always friendly faces, Captain Kutchie's lovely wife Anita has always been a welcomed sight and her smile could bring up the sun. But go to North Carolina and go straight for Kutchie's Bar and Grill and remember to ask for Captain Kutchie's key lime pie. Yum yum, you will love the scrumptious taste of that divine pie guarantee. You will never want to eat a single bite of another lackluster and joylessly made pie of any sort again. Just let me know and I'll tell Captain Kutchie and his wonderful wife Anita to expect you. It'll save your marriage and cure any erectile dysfunction you may suffer from, but that's all a distant second to how GOOD it tastes.

juliushorst

Literate
The worst thing you could do to the Toddler would be, that the assembled press sheeps deny him his celebrity feeling during his presentation.
No constant cheering when he shows something that "just works", no standing ovations when you can climb a mountain just because you can see it. Not even boo/hiss. Just.... silence.

Ain't gonna happen, ever. He already puts his employees and shills in the audience to cheer for every word he utters.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So when is Todd announcing that Fallout 76 is going free to play. How does he even still have a job at Bethesda. He's an ultra cunt and looks like a big time faggot

Generic-Giant-Spider

Todd Howard indeed looks like the type that would wander around San Francisco with a red handkerchief hanging out his back pocket.

Turjan

Arcane
Even the most steadfast fans are slowly showing signs of eroding faith:

That's definitely going too far and a clear sign of an imminent crisis.
Sure enough, here it comes:

I like his comparison. After saying he's a huge Bethesda fan, he claims that he is easy to please: "If you give me a trashcan, I will play with the lid".
I guess Fallout 76 even fails the trashcan test.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
no one posted this yet?

yxq49gvig3121.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom