Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

Codex Year of the Donut
Ironic since it's a 2x better game than Fallout 4, and 10x better than 3. It's made by B-teamers who don't share Pagliarulo's retardation. (to think that guy worked on Thief...)
Wastelanders is the first time Bethesda actually did something good with Fallout and all it gets is shit on, kinda ironic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fallout 76 underwent a lot of changes in 2020 and we are not stopping there. Our first update in 2021, which we are calling the “Inventory Update”, contains a range of community requested features that will assist you in how you manage your stash in-game. Watch to learn more!

ADL

Prophet
Stash increase is good. The tabs they're adding were modded in under a week after the game released in 2018. Same thing goes for calculating junk and component totals. Those were all simple mods most PC users already had installed. It's nice that it's being added in natively but damn, that took a long fucking time.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Stash increase is good. The tabs they're adding were modded in under a week after the game released in 2018. Same thing goes for calculating junk and component totals. Those were all simple mods most PC users already had installed. It's nice that it's being added in natively but damn, that took a long fucking time.

Remember that it didnt even become a good game until like 8 months ago bro

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ironic since it's a 2x better game than Fallout 4, and 10x better than 3. It's made by B-teamers who don't share Pagliarulo's retardation. (to think that guy worked on Thief...)

This is the equivalent of saying COD:BLOPS 2 is an incline over COD:BLOPS.........when one is offered two plates of different coloured shit, the choice is not to pick the one that tastes better, but to eat something else entirely.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
So is this still a thing?

Hard to say. But for what it is, in terms of storytelling, as well as gameplay and settlement CAMP building, it's inifinitely better that 3/4.

As I said above, it was made by some B-teamers, who were actually trying to prove their worth in writing/worldbuilding, instead of doubling down on FO3/4 sewage.

Encouraged by 76, which I got on Wastelanders sale and found surprisingly decent enough, I torrented obtained 4, and there's no way you can finish that dull piece of shit. It was, after Survival mode's "early level Hell", so boring and lackluster that I abandoned it after the 1st quest in Far Harbor and never looked back again, booting up New Vegas for the 8th time.

I am pretty impressed with the non-voiced dialogue, and all of the stat based dialogue options. Even if they don't all generate different responses, I'm still chuckling at the dumb shit my character has to say. I usually do some drugs to get -1 charisma before I talk to quest NPCs because there's usually at least one "I have no idea how to talk to humans" response. Also I'm at like, 14 Strength on my current build and so many of my quest dialogues are "nah fuck you do what I say or you die" and I like that.

It's funny how when it comes to dialogue I don't really even need that many responses, I just like options, and sometimes you just say silly bullshit. It lets me roleplay. Wee

unarmed build. It's a lot of fun, and I finally unlocked the +2 DR for each point of STR card.

This is the equivalent of saying COD:BLOPS 2 is an incline over COD:BLOPS.........when one is offered two plates of different coloured shit, the choice is not to pick the one that tastes better, but to eat something else entirely.

Well, since I'm not playing that anytime soon, I wouldn't know that... would you? :smug:

The only time I played Call of Duty (since that 1st one with Stalingrad that came out 30 years ago, that is) was when my friend told me to get some cheap Modern Warfare 3 Multiplayer key because Noob Tubing and stabbing everyone in CQ with Juggernaut was hilarious. It was.

So is this still a thing?

Hard to say. But for what it is, in terms of storytelling, as well as gameplay and settlement CAMP building, it's inifinitely better that 3/4.

As I said above, it was made by some B-teamers, who were actually trying to prove their worth in writing/worldbuilding, instead of doubling down on FO3/4 sewage.

Encouraged by 76, which I got on Wastelanders sale and found surprisingly decent enough, I torrented obtained 4, and there's no way you can finish that dull piece of shit. It was, after Survival mode's "early level Hell", so boring and lackluster that I abandoned it after the 1st quest in Far Harbor and never looked back again, booting up New Vegas for the 8th time.

I am pretty impressed with the non-voiced dialogue, and all of the stat based dialogue options. Even if they don't all generate different responses, I'm still chuckling at the dumb shit my character has to say. I usually do some drugs to get -1 charisma before I talk to quest NPCs because there's usually at least one "I have no idea how to talk to humans" response. Also I'm at like, 14 Strength on my current build and so many of my quest dialogues are "nah fuck you do what I say or you die" and I like that.

It's funny how when it comes to dialogue I don't really even need that many responses, I just like options, and sometimes you just say silly bullshit. It lets me roleplay. Wee

unarmed build. It's a lot of fun, and I finally unlocked the +2 DR for each point of STR card.

There are a lot of great incentives even (or especially) in the endgame if you ditch Power Armor (iirc you have to, to use unarmed weapons).

Since it looks like you have a lot of fun ahead of you, for me the high point in 76 storytelling (not to spoil too much) begins after those fetch quests for the Free States.

Thinking of "Uncle Sam" still sends chills down my spine, due to how well directed it was - that is, writing + environmental storytelling, Dead Money/Old World Blues style, and most of all sound direction = that sweet desolate suspense, and "feeling like shit" just like in Fallout 1. And I honestly went into this game with 0 expectations.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I heard they used Oblivion's AI for the new NPCs, which means they're smarter than people who play Fallout 76.

Cael

Arcane
I heard they used Oblivion's AI for the new NPCs, which means they're smarter than people who play Fallout 76.
That's a pretty low opinion of F76 players given the number of videos of Oblivion NPCs going Librarian crap over stuff, like that infamous fellow running around his home kicking his dog.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Here's my just under 30 hours impressions:

The Setting is awesome: the bombs didn't hit them hard, but something worse came by: The scorch beasts and the scorched plague. Instead of setting up a society that works, everyone gave one another the side-eye forever and then they were all wiped out by said scorched plague. You adventure around, and try to find out what happened. There's bosses to kill and fun to have.

Wastelanders is good, and it adds more speech options (tied to SPECIAL, sigh) than any previous bethesda game(morrowind has more, but it's not really choosing dialogue 99% of the time).

If you don't like Fallout 4's loop of explore, combat, loot, craft, then stop. STOP. You will be filling up your inventory CONSTANTLY and it's fucking annoying, it's like being drunk and having to pee every 30 minutes.

ADL

Prophet
Thinking of buying this
The technical problems, awful "gunplay" and the level scaling bullshit are my only complaints. If you can get past those, go for it. Grab it off a key site for $10-15.

Anyways, for future games like this, I hope they use Zenimax Online's engine and honestly been developed by them too because this would actually be significantly improved with them in charge of everything.

Latelistener

Arcane
IIRC ZOS is using Hero Engine for TESO. I think the general consensus is that it's shit and many people were unhappy with this engine being in SWToR.

I guess this is the reason they were trying to distance themselves from it, like they were using it only for prototyping, but I think this is a big fat lie, same with Creation Engine not being Gamebryo.

Codex Year of the Donut
IIRC ZOS is using Hero Engine for TESO. I think the general consensus is that it's shit and many people were unhappy with this engine being in SWToR.

I guess this is the reason they were trying to distance themselves from it, like they were using it only for prototyping, but I think this is a big fat lie, same with Creation Engine not being Gamebryo.
They used the hero engine only at the beginning then swapped to something in-house.

ESO runs like absolute shit btw. Average load screen takes about a minute, I know because I timed it.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

remember that engines are usually not to blame. they are software used to make games, not cars with differing speeds.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

The SWTOR debacle had really nothing to do with the Hero Engine itself but the fact Bioware bought license for some pre-alpha version of it and tried to fix it's fatal mid-developement flaws themselves.

Codex Year of the Donut
SWTOR runs better than ESO.
Of all the MMOs I've been playing lately, Turbine(Standing Stone Games)'s games probably have the best performance. Most MMOs run like shit, their games(LoTRO/DDO) didn't really have any issues. ESO is near the bottom for performance.

Cael

Arcane
People saying FO76 is good? Did I just wander into the Trigger the Codex thread?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
ESO runs like absolute shit btw. Average load screen takes about a minute, I know because I timed it.
Odd, ESO ran buttery smooth for me, especially compared to FO76.
But my toaster seems to be a moody princess anyway. There are many games that run far more crappy than they should for me regardless of settings. Yet none of the fans are even audible yet, making me wonder what's going on.

Latest example is Star Trek Online: recent update brings my framerate to single digits when I am near fire or volumetric lighting.
And here we thought DirectX would solve all those problems forever...

Sad.

Codex Year of the Donut
People saying FO76 is good? Did I just wander into the Trigger the Codex thread?
To the best of my understanding, after it bombed most of the people working on it got shuffled elsewhere and it got handed off to mostly new devs. They managed to actually do a good job and — as of when I last played — it was worth playing.

After a quick check, it does look like they moved some talent over after its failure. Ferret Baudoin was made lead designer.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Ferret_Baudoin
Weird, never heard of the guy before but he's worked on quite a few good games.
What do you know about him, Infinitron ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To the best of my understanding, after it bombed most of the people working on it got shuffled elsewhere and it got handed off to mostly new devs. They managed to actually do a good job and — as of when I last played — it was worth playing.

After a quick check, it does look like they moved some talent over after its failure. Ferret Baudoin was made lead designer.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Ferret_Baudoin
Weird, never heard of the guy before but he's worked on quite a few good games.
What do you know about him, Infinitron ?

On the Codex, he's most famous for being the lead on NWN2 OC for most of its development, before bailing and leaving Josh Sawyer to patch up the mess he left behind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom