Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Best hope you have is that everyone responsible for
decline.png
retires early with their Micro$$$oft money and you get some new blood in there. It'll still be
decline.png
but at least it'll be a different kind of
decline.png
and that could be interesting. Also makes an Obsidian/inXile collaboration more likely than it was before. Still not very likely but the chances of that happening went up dramatically compared to what they were before.

I'd rather pray for the asteroid, at least we all get equally screwed.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I'll take Todd Howard over modern obsidian, thanks.
These are dire times we live in indeed, if people start considering the Toddler's gamedesign superior to Obsidian.
Obsidian, what happened to you?
:negative:

MCA please come back and save us. Or is he in prison for harrassment already? :argh:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
These are dire times we live in indeed, if people start considering the Toddler's gamedesign superior to Obsidian.
Obsidian, what happened to you?
:negative:

MCA please come back and save us. Or is he in prison for harrassment already? :argh:

People's standards of quality have been lowering as quality of media has been in decline. And probably also because of a lack of intellectual curiosity and reading books.
And of course, a lot of people have a short memory span, and just crave entertainment even if it is stupid as hell (as long as it is current day releases)

Just read a comment yesterday that someone wanted a remake of FOPOS.

Mud'

Scholar
This game keeps begin a guilty plesure of sorts, i bought 2 physical copies for the PS4 for around 8$ in total for my 2 friends.

The game clicked with me when i was like "Hey man, i am a little short of completing a speech check, drop me some Mentats and after that we need to go hunting a Yao Gai".

It doesnt reach what i wanted out of a Fallout Online game (FOnline) but it does feels like i am playing a FO3 Online with the gameplay of FO4. Two shits equals shit but its a fun shit to play with when you dont have anything MP with your friends.

ADL

Prophet
Anyone who insists Fallout 76 ain't worth the ten dollars a lot of people got it on sale for before Wastelanders came out are out of their minds. It's unironically the best Bethesda release since Morrowind which isn't saying much but still fun with friends and you're getting years worth of free updates until they have the audacity to make a paid expansion.

Ten bucks is a shitty meal at McDonalds. I'll take Fallout 76 over a mediocre burger, fries and a large coke.

KVVRR

Learned
Anyone who insists Fallout 76 ain't worth the ten dollars a lot of people got it on sale for before Wastelanders came out are out of their minds. It's unironically the best Bethesda release since Morrowind which isn't saying much but still fun with friends and you're getting years worth of free updates until they have the audacity to make a paid expansion.

Ten bucks is a shitty meal at McDonalds. I'll take Fallout 76 over a mediocre burger, fries and a large coke.
Here's the thing: anything is fun with friends. You can watch the shittiest movie out there and if you watch it with friends it can be a blast.
I don't care if they "fixed" the game, they had the nerve to basically kill fallout to make a bare bones, bugged to shit, unplayable at launch multiplayer game for a franchise that is anything but. It was an obvious cash grab and an attempt to move into a new type of audience (since multiplayer games with microtransactions are where the big bucks are nowadays) while leaving the old one in the dust. I have better things to do and play than a shitty grindy shooter in a familiar setting.

ADL

Prophet
Fallout was dead long before 76 ever came out. At least this one had good build variety and a landmass worth exploring unlike their previous two games that were worse in practically every way aside from mod support.

Not even accounting for "it's fun with friends", it's a better solo game than those too. Put a gun to my head and tell me to play unmodded Fallout 3/4/76 for 500 hours or else I get the bullet and I could easily choose 76 while I'd dread playing 3&4.

KVVRR

Learned
god damn bethesda killed fallout, it wasn't REAL fallout like they used to make
nobody likes brotherhood of steel for a reason. even so it's not so much that they released a shitty game but the fact that you just know they won't make another fallout for a long, long time. Multiplayer games require constant focus to simply not die.

KVVRR

Learned
Fallout was dead long before 76 ever came out. At least this one had good build variety and a landmass worth exploring unlike their previous two games that were worse in practically every way aside from mod support.

Not even accounting for "it's fun with friends", it's a better solo game than those too. Put a gun to my head and tell me to play unmodded Fallout 3/4/76 for 500 hours or else I get the bullet and I could easily choose 76 while I'd dread playing 3&4.
I don't deny that they're getting better at actually making games, but 76 is simply a genre I'm not interested in. I mainly play Fallout for the RPG aspect, and as far as I know that's lacking quite a bit in 76.

Mud'

Scholar
I don't deny that they're getting better at actually making games, but 76 is simply a genre I'm not interested in. I mainly play Fallout for the RPG aspect, and as far as I know that's lacking quite a bit in 76.

FO76 is more RPG than FO4 tho, you actually have builds and some C&C with skillchecks (some, i know that FO76 has the Telltale effect).

Fallout died thanks to FO4, but FO76 with the Wastelanders update at least it feels better than FO4 and not as dumb as 3.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
god damn bethesda killed fallout, it wasn't REAL fallout like they used to make

The Caenheads were great leadership for Interplay like the neck tourniquet option for a slow-acting cancer of opulent production that has only slightly taught a thing or two to Brian Fargo, a man rated slightly more able to learn from his mistakes than Tim Schafer. It's great that they're so close together now while still getting everyone else to pay the bill - now they can afford the real Columbian snow on their lattes together on Microsoft's dime until Lionhead repeats again and they turn into a money pit of overpaid primadonnas.

Even earlier than F:POS, Interplay had everything Fallout fans had been waiting for since Fallout 2 with TORN instead of Fallout 3, Feargus got some of his buds at Reflexive of Motherfucking Star Trek Away Team superfame to make Lionheart everything Fallout fans had been dreading since TORN. I can't count how many years of development had been wasted at Interplay and subsidiaries, least of all upon Secret of Vulcan Fury and Stonekeep 2. And then it went in the other direction as Fallout Tactics didn't even have a world map before "modders will fix it" happened to the design documents midway through development to make it something more akin to the "Fallout meets Jagged Alliance 2" it was being often billed as by both developers and publisher.

FO76 is more RPG than FO4 tho, you actually have builds and some C&C with skillchecks (some, i know that FO76 has the Telltale effect).

Fallout died thanks to FO4, but FO76 with the Wastelanders update at least it feels better than FO4 and not as dumb as 3.

That's still like picking which STD you'd rather have.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
I also forgot to cite this Classic Feargus:

Just a quick note about TORN and Fallout 3. The best way I can explain TORN is that it is halfway between Torment and Icewind Dale. It's not a full hack and slash like Icewind or an adventure heavy game like Torment. It certainly isn't going to be Diablo. I would say that the balance in TORN is similar to the way the Fallouts were, mostly because we are shooting for about same word count (number of words of dialog in the game).

As for Fallout 3. You guys don't need to worry, it's going to be cool. It's not going to be the same game that the original Fallouts were, but I think that is a good thing. We've learned a lot about making games in the past few years, and we are going to apply that to the Fallout series. Is it going to be a little more faster paced in combat - of course, it has to be because we can't make a solely turn based game anymore. But, we talk all the time about how to keep it from becoming a Diablo type game as well. That is not to say that we've started making Fallout 3, it's just something that we talk about a lot. :smile:

Then Lionheart happened.

It had to be pointed out to even "Feargus Imatwat" that a core aspect of Fallout was P&P with a science fiction pulp aesthetic, because the man was starting to sound like MCA's FEV Explains Everything until you'd think that he had more than a passing involvement with F: POS.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I just watched that trailer video... is that the authentic (console) experience now? The guy runs around wildly shooting, while the enemy's HP bar does not even twitch. Then they just die/explode out of pity. :hahano:

When I played it, the bar was moving, sometimes in the wrong direction, but at least it felt like I was getting some form of feedback...

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
It had to be pointed out to even "Feargus Imatwat" that a core aspect of Fallout was P&P with a science fiction pulp aesthetic, because the man was starting to sound like MCA's FEV Explains Everything until you'd think that he had more than a passing involvement with F: POS.

Oh, could you elaborate?
I would like to hear more on this.

A couple of days ago I found out about the differences in design and effort between Dark Alliances and FOBOS. Talk about a difference of night and day.
More than just that the original Fallout 3 got canceled for this and the game mangling Fallout lore, the design and work is terrible and half assed, as if even the developers could not really be bothered with doing at least some effort above the bare minimum.

Feargus being involved in this, why am I not surprised?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
In the video, the manlet clearly says that they were brainstorming new games and one of them was to be a post apocalyptic game which Todd called "Apocalypse Road", he made a logo and wrote "Fallout", because that's what he was going to copy.

Then he continues to say that by sheer providence they also managed to acquire the Fallout IP, but that game was always going to be Fallout or a Fallout clone, Bethesda style.

By the way, I've been away from this thread for some time ... is it still racist to ask people for IDs before the vote in a national election?

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
And rather than making their own IP it was much easier to have the parent company buy an existing IP that had already gained some acclaim and twist that into a wacky silly-billy the 50s-never-ended shadow of Fallout, milking out and f***ing up its lore, themes, spirit, much to the praise of an audience of which most would never have given the Fallout franchise any moment of their attention if their Lord and Savior had not brought it back.

Sorry people, bit of a pissed mood today. One of the reasons being that so many of the things I gave a damn about such as the Fallout IP being ruined to appeal to the mass moronic audience.

Codex Year of the Donut
And rather than making their own IP it was much easier to have the parent company buy an existing IP that had already gained some acclaim and twist that into a wacky silly-billy the 50s-never-ended shadow of Fallout, milking out and f***ing up its lore, themes, spirit, much to the praise of an audience of which most would never have given the Fallout franchise any moment of their attention if their Lord and Savior had not brought it back.

Sorry people, bit of a pissed mood today. One of the reasons being that so many of the things I gave a damn about such as the Fallout IP being ruined to appeal to the mass moronic audience.
most people who bought FO3 never even heard of the original fallout games

unless you think isometric cRPGs were a big hit with xbox owners or something

Bliblablubb

Arcane
one of them was to be a post apocalyptic game which Todd called "Apocalypse Road
Considering the silly creampie-in-your-face humor of FO3, he would have of been better off removing slavery, sucking up to Kathleen Kennedy and calling it "Disney's Apocalypse Road". :obviously:

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
most people who bought FO3 never even heard of the original fallout games

unless you think isometric cRPGs were a big hit with xbox owners or something

Of course I know that a lot of gamers at that time did not care about isometric CRPGs, a lot of them probably getting into gaming at the first place or it becoming more "serious" to them (having grown old enough that flashy lights and loud sounds are no longer alone interesting enough).

I just strongly feel that Fallout should not have been "saved" or "resurrected" to end up this way.
It was better off dead when the original Fallout 3 was canceled, perhaps one day be resurrected again as a smaller scale/niche CRPG.

Considering the silly creampie-in-your-face humor of FO3, he would have of been better off removing slavery, sucking up to Kathleen Kennedy and calling it "Disney's Apocalypse Road". :obviously:

He really should have. Good writing and mature subjects are not Bethesda's design team strengths.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

Todd and Bethesda did their version of Fallout, I didn't much care for it. Even so, can't blame a scorpion for being a scorpion; Fallout in Bethesda's hands was always going to be Oblivion with guns.

The IP wasn't added late in development, like some of our more racist posters think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom